• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Any news about how many have died in Italy/Spain/UK yet? Hopefully numbers are declining 

Edited by AlimOzturk

NHS staff are being robbed of their ID cards so the thieves can get free food and preferential shopping hours.

Food Banks reporting random people turning up with no references and asking for free stuff or offering to pay.

Supermarkets reporting that panic buyers are taking items out of foodbank collection bins.

Primark and Burger King flat out refusing to pay any more rent.

Weatherspoons refusing to pay any suppliers.

Drugs cartels in the favelas of Brazil are imposing strict curfews on the population.

1 minute ago, Cade said:

NHS staff are being robbed of their ID cards so the thieves can get free food and preferential shopping hours.

Food Banks reporting random people turning up with no references and asking for free stuff or offering to pay.

Supermarkets reporting that panic buyers are taking items out of foodbank collection bins.

Drugs cartels in the favelas of Brazil are imposing strict curfews on the population.

Things looking up then.

Jambo-Jimbo
Just now, AlimOzturk said:

Any news about how many have died in Italy/Spain/UK yet? Hoping for good news

UK is later, but Italy & Spain are horrendous again.

683 in Italy & 738 in Spain.

Spain has now had more deaths than China.

2 minutes ago, Cade said:

The sad thing is as soon as this is all over people will pour back into these establishments when they're behaviour during this should see them never recover 

Jambo-Jimbo
7 minutes ago, Cade said:

Well they'll have to be changing the photo as it's photo ID they have, well at least my wife's ID is photo ID card.

The Mighty Thor
13 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Thanks for this.

I hadn't really paid any mind to it.

Jambo-Jimbo
Just now, The Mighty Thor said:

Thanks for this.

I hadn't really paid any mind to it.

I didn't know about it myself until another poster mentioned it earlier.

11 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

😟😟😟

The Mighty Thor
14 minutes ago, Cade said:

This guy is really being a grade A helmet. 

23 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

:( 

30 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

FFS :sad: 

4 minutes ago, Morgan said:

FFS :sad: 

This....Horrific , been some positive info floating about today on lower projected numbers n little things like vitamin c helping , but so vastly outweighed by this sad type of info.

Did ya get my reply mate? 

Francis Albert
40 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Sorry I think it is 437 total deaths in UK. Italy and Spain daily numbers 

Edited by Francis Albert

2 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

437 in UK.

That's total deaths so far. The figures in the post you quoted were the daily increase in deaths for Italy and Spain.

Francis Albert
Just now, redjambo said:

That's total deaths so far. The figures in the post you quoted were the daily increase in deaths for Italy and Spain.

Sorry. See my edit.

Tommy Brown
3 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Today or total ? 

Total thankfully.

I don't think England's figure has been announced.

I'm sure Wales had 7 and Scotland 6 today.

437 still needs England's to been added.

AlphonseCapone
1 hour ago, Texaco said:

I would like to get the antibody test for me and my wife in the future to prove if we've had it or not. Talking about it being around earlier in UK we transited through Gatwick on 20/21 Jan on way to a Caribbean holiday staying in a Airport hotel and eating in packed restaurant.  Towards end of 1st week I developed what I thought was a cold which anoyed me as had one just before xmas. My wife got it middle of second week. My wife being worse than me it floored her. Shivering, bad cough didn't get dressed for days. etc. I was just a bit breathless with a cough after a few days. We joked it was normally me that gets man flu. Back then in January we thought no way we could have had it but now Im not so sure the more I hear about symptoms. I hope they roll the test out for everyone eventually. 

It would be interesting to find out. I think if you and your wife did test positive for the antibodies then it might suggest it was passing around people earlier in the UK and the base level of those that have been infected at some point potentially much higher than thought. Whether it's 50% who knows. 

37 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Well they'll have to be changing the photo as it's photo ID they have, well at least my wife's ID is photo ID card.

First thing I thought, makes no sense that story. Never seen a NHS ID without a photo. 

The total UK deaths for today is really late. 

Just now, Tommy Brown said:

Total thankfully.

I don't think England's figure has been announced.

I'm sure Wales had 7 and Scotland 6 today.

437 still needs England's to been added.

Yeah Seemed a little low considering yesterday's jump. Hopefully doesn’t jump too much higher. 

The Internet

Pretty bad sign that England's total hasn't been announced yet. Also feels quite dystopian even saying that. 

Tommy Brown
3 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

It would be interesting to find out. I think if you and your wife did test positive for the antibodies then it might suggest it was passing around people earlier in the UK and the base level of those that have been infected at some point potentially much higher than thought. Whether it's 50% who knows.

I posted  on a thread about spreading viruses at the workplace. I had a bitch of a virus that a few of us at work all got. I had a dry cough for weeks, but was floored just a day. Workmate was off a few days.

I had a flu jab a few weeks before.

This was just before Christmas.

5 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Pretty bad sign that England's total hasn't been announced yet. Also feels quite dystopian even saying that. 

Maybe the total is so low that they're panicking, thinking they must have missed some figures out somewhere, and they're contacting all the health authorities to confirm the low figures. One can but hope.

1 minute ago, redjambo said:

Maybe the total is so low that they're panicking, thinking they must have missed some figures out somewhere, and they're contacting all the health authorities to confirm the low figures. One can but hope.

Not as daft as it sounds. A low figure may well encourage even more people to ignore the advice and start the ball rolling on a this is a overreaction attitude. 

The Internet
7 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Not as daft as it sounds. A low figure may well encourage even more people to ignore the advice and start the ball rolling on a this is a overreaction attitude. 

Agree. But I reckon the overreaction crowd will be active as soon as this settles down regardless of how long it takes. 

AlphonseCapone

I mean this with the greatest respect to the dead but that figure is encouraging, it's the lowest single day increase since 20th March. 

Jambo-Jimbo
1 minute ago, AlphonseCapone said:

I mean this with the greatest respect to the dead but that figure is encouraging, it's the lowest single day increase since 20th March. 

Agreed, especially since it was 87 or something yesterday, let's see what tomorrow brings, and then take it from there.

Literally one day at a time.

10 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Agreed, especially since it was 87 or something yesterday, let's see what tomorrow brings, and then take it from there.

Literally one day at a time.

Indeed. I'm pleased to see those stats though.

Malinga the Swinga

Seems really weird that people look forward with such anticipation to numbers of dead people being announced. Even weirder that excitement grows because numbers are released a wee while later than the day before.

Just picture you guys calling the family down so you can all sit round the tv together shouting ' Hurry kids, the death number from Spain is coming on'. 

2 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Seems really weird that people look forward with such anticipation to numbers of dead people being announced. Even weirder that excitement grows because numbers are released a wee while later than the day before.

Just picture you guys calling the family down so you can all sit round the tv together shouting ' Hurry kids, the death number from Spain is coming on'. 

People are deeply concerned about what's ahead and are sharing thoughts and information.    Yes it can slip into making people into statistics but it's only natural.     

This has been as respectful a reply as you should expect.    

1 minute ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Strange way to put it.

The death toll is an indication of where we are in the storm, and we are all hoping for a sign things have begun to peak, particularly in Spain and Italy where lockdown has been in force for weeks. As mass testing is not happening, the death toll is the only number we can use.

Things might change once the antibody tests are fully available and more understanding of spread and recovery is gained.

5 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

It's because we want to see that the daily figures are declining, that we're starting to get a handle on this. As it is, the decrease in today's death figure for the UK is positive, albeit a single day's stat is not a cause for over-celebration.

Your comment comes across as really crass, Malinga, if I'm being perfectly honest. I didn't know you were like that.

Jambo-Jimbo
12 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

That's really weird that you'd think that anybody was looking forward with anticipation about the number of death's, because I'd call it waiting with sense of dread and foreboding.

But hey, each to their own, bud.

Edited by Jambo-Jimbo

Again, keeping track of day to day death tolls is really meaningless.

As previously stated, we have no idea of the age, viral load or underlying health issues of those that died each day.

We also don't know how many patients are in critical condition and expected to die tomorrow.

You can't read anything into day by day statistics.

Statistics only matter when looked at as a long term pattern.

Even then how many people died of Covid-19 but went undiagnosed and therefor not included in the figures?

Car Parking

The Scottish Government has today confirmed that car parking charges at PFI sites will be suspended from Monday 30 March for 12 weeks. The Scottish Government are finalising how the temporary arrangements will work in practice. As soon as this information is available, we will share with staff. 
A number of organisations in the vicinity of our other main sites have generously offered car parking spaces to staff. However, while these additional spaces are very welcome, staff should be aware that there may not be a space for everyone.
Below is some information on these additional spaces. 
Western General Hospital 
Fettes College
Fettes College has kindly given staff access to some of their parking spaces. Access will be controlled via secure passes. Departmental passes will be issued rather than individual allocations. This parking will be available 24/7. These departments will be determined on a risk basis. Instructions in the use of all of these passes will be issued with the passes to department managers/charge nurses.
Morrison’s Supermarket, Ferry Road
Morrison’s Supermarket remains available to pass holders. 
Royal Victoria Hospital temporary car park
Following reductions in some outpatient and elective activity, 'departmental' passes will be issued to allow 60 or more staff parking access. Please note that this car park continues to be locked down at 7.30pm, reopening at 6.15am, with no access to cars left there after 7.30pm.
St John’s Hospital
Main Car Park ‘P’
The main car park ‘P’ has been reprioritised and available to staff. 
Almond Vale
There is also off-site parking spaces at Almond Vale, but this involves staff walking as there is currently no shuttle bus for social distancing reasons.
RIE
The University of Edinburgh and the Bioquarter have both kindly made available significant numbers of car parking spaces for staff for the next three months. 
City of Edinburgh Council has announced charges for on street parking will be suspended from today (24/3). Yellow lines, loading bays, disabled parking and city car club spaces will be enforced.
Royal Edinburgh Hospital (REH) car parking
George Watson College is providing an additional 68 off-site spaces in 4 locations for our staff.
In addition, staff are being allow to park on double yellow lines at the rear of the Royal Edinburgh Building, this will provide approximately 20-25 additional parking spaces.
Information regarding these additional spaces has been provided to staff at the REH.

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
3 hours ago, Victorian said:

News reporting an official belief that the UK is likely to limit deaths to 20,000 and possibly less.     First time I've seen that in a while.     Maybe look out for that being repeated again.    

20,000 per day according to one of the main experts on here so i’d treat that encouraging belief with some caution 

Malinga the Swinga
7 minutes ago, redjambo said:

It's because we want to see that the daily figures are declining, that we're starting to get a handle on this. As it is, the decrease in today's death figure for the UK is positive, albeit a single day's stat is not a cause for over-celebration.

Your comment comes across as really crass, Malinga, if I'm being perfectly honest. I didn't know you were like that.

Fair enough. Just don't get why folk are obsessing over stats. Keep in as much as you can and when out, keep your distance. You don't need to worry what other countries do, just what you do. The goverment pay experts to look at stats, run computer modelling and they will then advise us of next steps. 

Brighton Jambo

The same people saying we shouldn’t look at stats and they mean nothing are the same people saying we should be doing more as otherwise we will be as bad or worse than Italy.  

how do we know where we are other than use the numbers to compare to where other countries were at the same stage? 

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
8 minutes ago, Cade said:

Again, keeping track of day to day death tolls is really meaningless.

As previously stated, we have no idea of the age, viral load or underlying health issues of those that died each day.

We also don't know how many patients are in critical condition and expected to die tomorrow.

You can't read anything into day by day statistics.

Statistics only matter when looked at as a long term pattern.

Even then how many people died of Covid-19 but went undiagnosed and therefor not included in the figures?

more than 100 tomorrow or the next day unfortunately

1 minute ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Fair enough. Just don't get why folk are obsessing over stats. Keep in as much as you can and when out, keep your distance. You don't need to worry what other countries do, just what you do. The goverment pay experts to look at stats, run computer modelling and they will then advise us of next steps. 

We're living in the 21st century. As individuals we have access to far more information, and up-to-date information at that, than we ever did in the past. The internet generation has progressed past the stage of waiting for the authorities to tell us what to do and the morning paper to convert news and stats into sound-bites. I don't think we can blame folk nowadays for wanting to stay connected to the flow of information that is out there. That's certainly not incompatible with being responsible as an individual and doing what we need to do to get through this.

kingantti1874
12 minutes ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

20,000 per day according to one of the main experts on here so i’d treat that encouraging belief with some caution 

I think you’ll find that was in response to a post which says we should just let this virus spread unopposed, in wish case the death toll would easily be many many thousands per day.  Hence why such drastic action has been taken globally and In the uk.

dont just cherry pick posts without context and try and come across as a smart arse. 

Edited by kingantti1874

AlphonseCapone
30 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

I'll assume you've just not had enough fresh air today. 

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic