Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

48 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

That's our practice now on stage 2 alert due to staff shortages

any worse and we're shut

I work closely with gp practices and if it came down to that, wouldn't the health board step in and provide extra staff or have to transfer at risk patients to another surgery? It's happened in the past albeit not during a raging virus.

Many practices even struggle to find locums before this, so this only adds 5 more layers of shite to an already shite situation.

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

27 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Felt like I've had this the past 10 days, anxiety is through the roof stressed out big time. 

Don't know if its mild symptoms though, as had pains and aches all over my body, nasal congestion, burning up but not to a fever temp, feels like I've got mucus and phlegm at the back of my throat. 

Would said i have felt shit for about 11-12 days now, my breathing has been okay. 

The main symptoms kick in at different times for some people which are cough on a continunes basis,fever, and difficulty breathing. Some people don't get symptoms at all. 

Going to see how I'm feeling over the next couple of days, not out the woods yet, have been on the phone to NHS and they say it could be that I'm just run down, but that it does seem like a viral infection. 

Been drinking plenty of fluids, vitamins, oranges etc to keep the immune system strong.  Felt like I had lost my sense of smell and taste a bit better now though. 

Been a scary few days though this thing is a silent killer, most people recover from it, here's hoping that I have recovered or don't have it and I'm just run down. 

Please people do listen, don't go out if you don't need to, stay safe we will get through this. 

If I don't recover and i do end up passing away as I have asthma, it's been a pleasure being on here and hope my advice can help someone. 

Had my first good sleep last night, the other four nights before that were a struggle hopefully just my anxiety and stress though. 

The worst day I had was day 7 where i was shaking uncontrollably, in bed i had aches and pains all over my body, and my throat seemed to have this thing at the back of it that was painful. 

Using plenty mouth wash as had mouth ulcers, and keeping good hygiene. 

Stay safe everyone 👍

Take care man.It actually sounds like you have fought it off and coming through it now. Horrendous ordeal though.

doctor jambo
2 minutes ago, BlackJAC? said:

I work closely with gp practices and if it came down to that, wouldn't the health board step in and provide extra staff or have to transfer at risk patients to another surgery? It's happened in the past albeit not during a raging virus.

Many practices even struggle to find locums before this, so this only adds 5 more layers of shite to an already shite situation.

we are not the only one- staff are going off sick left right and center, mainly as their kids are ill so self isolating

2 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

tbf you probably saw that his worth jumped £44M when boris won the election

Read it in a link on Facebook, not wanting to get political but it was yon Scottish independence paper.

https://www.thenational.scot/news/18329942.wetherspoons-boss-tells-staff-go-work-tesco-leaving-no-pay/

WETHERSPOONS boss Tim Martin has told staff to go work at Tesco if they don't want to wait until the end of April to be paid.

After being forced to close hundred of pubs over the weekend to battle the spread of Covid-19, Martin sent a video to staff members claiming that he would be relying on a government grant to pay workers.

However the grant will not be available for well over a month and Martin, who is reportedly worth over £40 million, will not be covering staff wages until then.

bajthejambo
31 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Felt like I've had this the past 10 days, anxiety is through the roof stressed out big time. 

Don't know if its mild symptoms though, as had pains and aches all over my body, nasal congestion, burning up but not to a fever temp, feels like I've got mucus and phlegm at the back of my throat. 

Would said i have felt shit for about 11-12 days now, my breathing has been okay. 

The main symptoms kick in at different times for some people which are cough on a continunes basis,fever, and difficulty breathing. Some people don't get symptoms at all. 

Going to see how I'm feeling over the next couple of days, not out the woods yet, have been on the phone to NHS and they say it could be that I'm just run down, but that it does seem like a viral infection. 

Been drinking plenty of fluids, vitamins, oranges etc to keep the immune system strong.  Felt like I had lost my sense of smell and taste a bit better now though. 

Been a scary few days though this thing is a silent killer, most people recover from it, here's hoping that I have recovered or don't have it and I'm just run down. 

Please people do listen, don't go out if you don't need to, stay safe we will get through this. 

If I don't recover and i do end up passing away as I have asthma, it's been a pleasure being on here and hope my advice can help someone. 

Had my first good sleep last night, the other four nights before that were a struggle hopefully just my anxiety and stress though. 

The worst day I had was day 7 where i was shaking uncontrollably, in bed i had aches and pains all over my body, and my throat seemed to have this thing at the back of it that was painful. 

Using plenty mouth wash as had mouth ulcers, and keeping good hygiene. 

Stay safe everyone 👍

Had most of those symptoms myself about three or four weeks ago now, Bongo. At the time I just thought it was the flu, but now I don't know? I just stayed in doors and battled through it. Lost quite a bit of weight and was left very weak even after I was over it. I did get over it though! Hope that's of some encouragement? All the best to you. I know how truly awful it can be.

Francis Albert

Somewhat surprised to read today that the UK has tested more people both in absolute terms and as a proportion of population than France and Spain. 

6 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

I ****ing hate Witherspoon, however,..........

In Dec those share were 1690p now valued at less than 800p, even with a bounce of today with increase in about 15%. He has probably seen a massive decrease in his wealth. He‘ll still be substantially wealthier than your average Joe but thy is sort of thing is most definitely impacting him massively. 

Witherspoons in someways quite a good position to bounce back when this ends. Lots of competitors will not survive this and they will be poised to position themselves. Albeit not a sector that would interest me right now.

The guy is a fandango no doubt. However, those suggesting he should fund people out his own personal wealth 😂

So do you think, the self employed who are at this time, not being compensated should have to pay higher tax post panic?

As it stands I'll be withdrawing my registration and paying no tax post panic.

2 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

So do you think, the self employed who are at this time, not being compensated should have to pay higher tax post panic?

As it stands I'll be withdrawing my registration and paying no tax post panic.

There will be something put in place this week for the self employed. 80% of last 3 years average is what I heard. Not sure how that works if you have been SE for less than 3 years.

6 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

In Dec those share were 1690p now valued at less than 800p, even with a bounce of today with increase in about 15%. He has probably seen a massive decrease in his wealth. He‘ll still be substantially wealthier than your average Joe but thy is sort of thing is most definitely impacting him massively. 

Witherspoons in someways quite a good position to bounce back when this ends. Lots of competitors will not survive this and they will be poised to position themselves. Albeit not a sector that would interest me right now.

The guy is a fandango no doubt. However, those suggesting he should fund people out his own personal wealth 😂

Without looking out their accounts, I think his business model is that his company is quite highly leveraged -  so they probably have a lot of debt to pay back to banks and rent to pay to landlords. Used to always be buying portfolios of pubs when I was in that industry...His genius was always that they were the toughest negotiators in the business - they get suppliers to provide at rock-bottom prices and move regularly from one big brewer to the next...

51 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

What were you doing in Norwich? hunting for Lawson? should have tried Uruguay

Even if he did live in Norwich as well I’m not sure he would’ve left the house for long enough to have given me a chance of bumping into him. 

1 minute ago, graygo said:

There will be something put in place this week for the self employed. 80% of last 3 years average is what I heard. Not sure how that works if you have been SE for less than 3 years.

Well... If it happens I'll pay what it takes post panic, until then I'm sitting in a rage. :th_Rage2:

1 hour ago, BarneyBattles said:

Nipped out for bread and milk earlier as had none. A guy joined the queue behind me and stood right behind me. I moved away three times and three times he moved right behind me again. I eventually said to him I was moving to get away form him 'ah sorry mate, never thought'.

FFS.

I was at supermarket earlier and on whole folk trying best to avoid each other as difficult as it is.

Not busy but by 10.30 all loo roll, cleaning wipes and tinned stuff, packet etc away.  Plenty fruit and veg which to an extent is understandable.  Booze aisles devastated, well apart from sparkling stuff.

Greggs were open but Subway not?

4 guys with Edinburgh University uniforms walked through the Cameron Toll centre aisle all beside each other though.

1 minute ago, DETTY29 said:

I was at supermarket earlier and on whole folk trying best to avoid each other as difficult as it is.

Not busy but by 10.30 all loo roll, cleaning wipes and tinned stuff, packet etc away.  Plenty fruit and veg which to an extent is understandable.  Booze aisles devastated, well apart from sparkling stuff.

Greggs were open but Subway not?

4 guys with Edinburgh University uniforms walked through the Cameron Toll centre aisle all beside each other though.

Greggs shutting tomorrow.

2 minutes ago, graygo said:

I see Mike Ashley is making all staff turn up and do work even though he has been forced to close the stores. Cretin.

And they call him a modern-day slaver...

3 minutes ago, graygo said:

I see Mike Ashley is making all staff turn up and do work even though he has been forced to close the stores. Cretin.

If he’s got people out working in the shops then I hope the government don’t cover their wages as Ashley should be paying them as he’s getting labour out of them 

For the record I’m meaning when Ashley asks government for his cut to pay workers he should be told to bolt 

Edited by theshed

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, graygo said:

Spot on with all you say.

Very young child with no idea or care about what is going on.

Drug addict parent, sleeping rough we believe.

I'm keeping my powder dry just now but they know I won't be happy.

Yeah , I guessed the parent or parents would have multiple issues and you confirmed it . I’d have a serious discussion with the social worker and maybe give her / him a wake up call cause if you get the virus who’s gonna look after the child ? Places are limited as it is 

Another 2 deaths in Scotland bringing the total up to 16.

Not quite growing exponentially but then shit hasn't quite hit the fan yet and we're only in first gear.

Anyone else received their text from UK Government yet? Just got mine an hour ago. In my job I'm considered to be a key worker. However I am under orders to self isolate.

1 minute ago, kila said:

Another 2 deaths in Scotland bringing the total up to 16.

Not quite growing exponentially but then shit hasn't quite hit the fan yet and we're only in first gear.

Looks like we are getting off lightly

hopefully stays that way 

MPs from all parties are rounding on the government's rent evictions rules after it emerged that instead of halting evictions, all that has been done is to increase the notice period from two months to three months.

That was not what was promised.

So as it stands, britain's 20 million renters can be turfed out of their accommodation during a pandemic.

9 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Yeah , I guessed the parent or parents would have multiple issues and you confirmed it . I’d have a serious discussion with the social worker and maybe give her / him a wake up call cause if you get the virus who’s gonna look after the child ? Places are limited as it is 

Contact cancelled thankfully.

3 hours ago, Spellczech said:

Ok so how do you explain Sturgeon going first on closing schools, on closing pubs and on non-essential businesses yesterday. She's forcing the decisions every step of the way....(tho' I suspect you will say something like they are trialling it in Scotland like dear Maggie did with the Poll Tax)

From what I've been watching Sturgeon and her cabinet have been getting a far easier time from opposition parties in Holyrood than the government's front benchers in Westminster.  And that also seems to extend to the press between too.

Scotland's Chief Medical Officer was on Radio Scotland saying yes follow Westminster advice but Scotland is different and has to make its own decisions.  Hence why we have been stricter.  Of course she could by lying and it is just a case of one up man ship between Sturgeon and Johnson.

Once we come out of the other side of this all countries within the UK need to be informed of where the leaders focused on, scientific or economic and the downstream impacts.

4 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Anyone else received their text from UK Government yet? Just got mine an hour ago. In my job I'm considered to be a key worker. However I am under orders to self isolate.

It's a blanket text sent to anyone who's number they have on file.

4 minutes ago, Cade said:

MPs from all parties are rounding on the government's rent evictions rules after it emerged that instead of halting evictions, all that has been done is to increase the notice period from two months to three months.

So as it stands, britain's 20 million renters can be turfed out of their accommodation during a pandemic.

The eviction process takes a bit of time thankfully.

9 minutes ago, Cade said:

Not easy to protect both landlords and tenants TBF... a lot of these measures are just cheap loans, and deferment of costs to another day...

Edited by Spellczech

Malinga the Swinga

Everyone knows that self employed people need something in place, but they are not top priority, regardless of what they think. The NHS is top priority and anything apart from that is secondary.

Whilst I may feel for the lower end of that economy, I certainly don't feel like that for those other contractors at the top end of the market, particularly those in IT, Finance and building industry. When times were good, they were only too happy to laugh at those on PAYE employment, take as much as they could and screw everyone else. They showed no loyalty and were happy to jump from work to work, leaving workplaces in the lurch. Also very happy to hide or not declare all their earnings, all in order they could avoid paying their fair share of tax.

Now, whilst the PAYE solution was relatively straight forward, the gig economy is harder, partly because there is a large percentage of them who cannot be trusted not to falsify their earnings and partly because it is unbelievable complicated. 

So so you will just have to wait your turn and when a solution is sorted, take what is given. Already posters here bleating about not paying tax when things return to normal, and they wonder why the dark side, as it is known, are largely treated with distrust by employers and permanent staff.

9 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

From what I've been watching Sturgeon and her cabinet have been getting a far easier time from opposition parties in Holyrood than the government's front benchers in Westminster.  And that also seems to extend to the press between too.

Scotland's Chief Medical Officer was on Radio Scotland saying yes follow Westminster advice but Scotland is different and has to make its own decisions.  Hence why we have been stricter.  Of course she could by lying and it is just a case of one up man ship between Sturgeon and Johnson.

Once we come out of the other side of this all countries within the UK need to be informed of where the leaders focused on, scientific or economic and the downstream impacts.

That is simply because Sturgeon is showing herself to be decisive, coherent and communicative whilst the UK Govt is coming across as contradictory, dithering and incoherent...

The one with the hardest job in all this is Sunak. He seems to have gone to ground recently but he was brilliant last week.

Edited by Spellczech

Malinga the Swinga

Actually think that all leaders been working well together. It is slightly easier in Scotland as we are a smaller nation and Westminster has London to deal with. Don't think you can underestimate the additional problems that London has compared to Edinburgh, Glasgow, Cardiff, Belfast and others.

Sturgeon, Johnson, and others seem to be co-operating well. The confusion isn't all because of different advice, it is because some employers and some employees are so greedy, they see money as more important than their health, their families health and  and their friends health.

1 minute ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Actually think that all leaders been working well together. It is slightly easier in Scotland as we are a smaller nation and Westminster has London to deal with. Don't think you can underestimate the additional problems that London has compared to Edinburgh, Glasgow, Cardiff, Belfast and others.

Sturgeon, Johnson, and others seem to be co-operating well. The confusion isn't all because of different advice, it is because some employers and some employees are so greedy, they see money as more important than their health, their families health and  and their friends health.

There is a thread in the Terrace about some journo in the Evening News having a crack at Budge over her hint that she will sue over relegation from 3 weeks ago. God knows her motivation but someone looked her up and she is some local hack with a job and 2 mortgage free Edinburgh properties. If employed by the EN she can get up to £2.5k from the Govt, or if freelance will get whatever Sunak comes out with later. If tenants are protected she can also get her rental income protected via the tenants...so she won't be subject to the limits the Govt has tried to set for an individual's income during this crisis...

32 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Aye got it this morning

32 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Got mine in America about four hours ago :lol:

21 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Everyone knows that self employed people need something in place, but they are not top priority, regardless of what they think. The NHS is top priority and anything apart from that is secondary.

Whilst I may feel for the lower end of that economy, I certainly don't feel like that for those other contractors at the top end of the market, particularly those in IT, Finance and building industry. When times were good, they were only too happy to laugh at those on PAYE employment, take as much as they could and screw everyone else. They showed no loyalty and were happy to jump from work to work, leaving workplaces in the lurch. Also very happy to hide or not declare all their earnings, all in order they could avoid paying their fair share of tax.

Now, whilst the PAYE solution was relatively straight forward, the gig economy is harder, partly because there is a large percentage of them who cannot be trusted not to falsify their earnings and partly because it is unbelievable complicated. 

So so you will just have to wait your turn and when a solution is sorted, take what is given. Already posters here bleating about not paying tax when things return to normal, and they wonder why the dark side, as it is known, are largely treated with distrust by employers and permanent staff.

Much the same as saying all gypsies are thiefs. 

You should get out more.

gashauskis9
40 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Jeremy Hunt: 1 million Britons will have Coronvirus by next week. 

:wow: 

Aye, but how many of them will exercise more than once a day?

14 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Aye cause the self employed overheads are the same as the PAYE.

Self employed take more risks.  All my earnings go into my bank account and are there for the tax man to see. £31000+(Set wage sub contractor deal ) top line. I'll also do homers for my mates firm, which are also declared.

All I'm saying is "You the government have stopped me earning,(Justified) so if you don't mind, compensation would be good, as PAYE are also getting it. Or why should we have to pay higher tax when you didn't give two fecks about us". ???

It's fair and reasonable to ask the question, but hey, I'm not sitting their in the knowledge that I'm covered, are you?

Not looking to argue, bud, I'm just having a conversation.

My wife was made an illegal by Theresa May for over six years,(which has cost us £35000+ a year) then when she was lucky enough when windrush appeared, she gets a blood clot in her main vein in her leg and as soon as we readjust again, this. Starting to get a bit pissed off. :D 👍

...a bit disco

An egg shortage?

That curtails my Teach Yersel' Baking endeavours.

kingantti1874
1 hour ago, Lord BJ said:

If there is one chain I’d love to see fail (if it wasn’t for the impact on innocent staff)

We have internet, nuclear weapons, self drive cars but when a plague such as this hits, the clock goes back to the 1500's no treatment, no vaccines, stay away from each other, virtual house arrest, the whole world turmoil, and here we are no end in sight, and the possibility of massive life changes for the future, its so good to be old and here for the short term.

14 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Aye cause the self employed overheads are the same as the PAYE.

Self employed take more risks.  All my earnings go into my bank account and are there for the tax man to see. £31000+(Set wage sub contractor deal ) top line. I'll also do homers for my mates firm, which are also declared.

All I'm saying is "You the government have stopped me earning,(Justified) so if you don't mind, compensation would be good, as PAYE are also getting it. Or why should we have to pay higher tax when you didn't give two fecks about us". ???

It's fair and reasonable to ask the question, but hey, I'm not sitting their in the knowledge that I'm covered, are you?

Not looking to argue, bud, I'm just having a conversation.

My wife was made an illegal by Theresa May for over six years,(which has cost us £35000+ a year) then when she was lucky enough when windrush appeared, she gets a blood clot in her main vein in her leg and as soon as we readjust again, this. Starting to get a bit pissed off. :D 👍

I'm not self employed but it is only fair that self-employed people should get the same 80% guarantee everyone else is getting upto the threshold. 

Edited by Ray Gin

Just now, Ray Gin said:

I'm not self employed but it is only fair that self-employed people need the same 80% guarantee everyone else is getting upto the threshold. 

Due to the business I’m in a huge amount of people are self employed in a business that doesn’t pay very well. Looking at my Facebook is pretty depressing just now with a lot of people in dire straights. 

Francis Albert
43 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Nicola in the loop.anout the UK government's next steps. The fact she gets in first by a few hours or a day doesn't mean she is taking the lead and others are following in her footsteps.

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic