Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

Asda & Tesco have joined Morrisons & Sainsbury's in saying that they will enforce the wearing of face masks for everyone unless they are exempt.

Just how they are going to police it and enforce it I'm not all that sure, because if someone say's that they are exempt, are they going to ask for proof?   And if so that opens up a whole new can of worms, in terms of privacy and data protection, I'd had thought.

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

🤣. I suppose it depends which bus Guv. Back in March, the 35 to the Gyle was like a Burmese train carriage.

We need more gas guzzling Chelsea tractors in my opinion.

Plenty of them down here, especially on the school run, the 200 metre school run for some of them.

Edited by Jambo-Jimbo

1 minute ago, jonesy said:

Nothing will change. They need to be seen to be doing something in order to maintain good publicity in case the governments turn their eye towards one of the real transmission hotspots. Given most folk in supermarkets are wearing a mask, it might also start debunking that particular means of protection, too.

I wonder if we'll now see all the staff wearing masks too?

Just now, jonesy said:

Nothing will change. They need to be seen to be doing something in order to maintain good publicity in case the governments turn their eye towards one of the real transmission hotspots. Given most folk in supermarkets are wearing a mask, it might also start debunking that particular means of protection, too.

What the supermarkets have announced is what the law is right now anyway and they should have been doing for the last 6 months.

I agree, I can't see how anything will meaningfully change.

Scottish numbers: 12 January 2021

Summary

• 1,875 new cases of COVID-19 reported [+93]
  • 17,517 new tests for COVID-19 that reported results – 12.0% of these were positive [-213; +0.5%]
  • 54 new reported death(s) of people who have tested positive [+53]
  • 133 people are in intensive care with recently confirmed COVID-19 [+7]
  • 1,717 people are in hospital with recently confirmed COVID-19 [+53]
  • 175,942 people have received their first dose of the COVID-19 vaccination and 2,857 have received their second dose

2 minutes ago, Taffin said:

In my local shops almost all staff wore face masks when it became law, now very few do, and nothing in the shop has changed.

Per-100,000 case rates around the boards:

Scotland 34 [+1].

Greater Glasgow 51 [+1], Dumfries & Galloway 48 [+12], Ayrshire 44 [+5], Lanarkshire 42 [-4], Borders 39 [+7], Shetland 31 [+31].

Fife 27 [+8], Forth Valley 27 [-1], Tayside 26 [-5], Lothian 24 [+5], Grampian 23 [+2].

Highland 18 [-3], Western Isles 11 [+11], Orkney 0 [=].

The Real Maroonblood
8 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Anytime I’ve been in Tesco Corstorphine all staff that I saw had them on and customers as well.

5 minutes ago, jonesy said:

My wife works for one of the big supermarket chains and has worn a mask on the shop floor since the get go. My jokes about her being ugly and continuing to wear one at home went down like a lead balloon.

Yeh, they don't tend to see the funny side to these things. :laugh:

9 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Drive thro vaccines in Israel. 20% of the population vaccinated in 3 weeks. 

Israel are not giving Palestinians the vaccine. Pathetic. 

3 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

I know it’s disgusting . The scummiest nation in the world . 🥵

It's a nice soundbite and fits in well with your anti-Israeli agenda. But its a complete fabrication of the truth. Israel are not responsible for giving the vaccine to Palestinians, that's the job of the autonomous Palestinian authority, who have said they will start vaccinations in February.

Any Palestinian who lives in Israel proper is being offered a vaccination. I know this as i have Israeli -Arab friends who have been vaccinated in Jerusalem last week by Israeli medical staff.

3 hours ago, frankblack said:

That could result in you getting lamped.

3 hours ago, frankblack said:

That could result in you getting lamped.

Not been so far

more often than not - they have just forgotten to put it on and actually thank me for reminding them 

Today's per-capita 7-day case rates around the councils. Note that this is now based on the date that the positive tests were reported, not the date when the samples were taken. This will allow the data to be more timely, showing spikes and drops sooner. I've recalculated yesterday's figures on this basis. I've also not included the immediate historic data as it would be like comparing lemons and limes. After a few days, the table will start looking normal again. The peak value for Scotland last week was 298, so touch wood we're heading back down. As has been the case in the past, however, the rises are steep and the resultant declines shallow.

7-day per-100,000 cases        
Council Area Tier Previous Today Yesterday       ... 20 Dec
Scotland     264 275 -11     ... 98
Inverclyde 4 2 401 428 -27     ... 59
North Lanarkshire 4 3 393 396 -3     ... 119
Renfrewshire 4 3 386 393 -7     ... 116
Glasgow City 4 3 380 383 -3     ... 129
Dumfries & Galloway 4 1 348 376 -28     ... 32
North Ayrshire 4 3 337 324 +13     ... 175
Dundee City 4 3 313 344 -31     ... 113
East Ayrshire 4 3 298 311 -13     ... 153
South Lanarkshire 4 3 281 311 -30     ... 120
Falkirk 4 2 272 289 -17     ... 60
East Dunbartonshire 4 3 269 283 -14     ... 70
Aberdeen City 4 3 266 272 -6     ... 163
Scottish Borders 4 1 261 260 +1     ... 85
South Ayrshire 4 3 251 251 0     ... 98
Perth and Kinross 4 3 245 264 -19     ... 126
West Dunbartonshire 4 3 244 268 -24     ... 120
Clackmannanshire 4 3 229 262 -33     ... 148
East Renfrewshire 4 3 226 228 -2     ... 101
Angus 4 2 222 245 -23     ... 37
Aberdeenshire 4 3 222 245 -23     ... 88
Fife 4 3 208 218 -10     ... 97
Highland 4/3 1 199 214 -15     ... 17
Edinburgh City 4 3 189 206 -17     ... 109
West Lothian 4 3 158 150 +8     ... 83
Stirling 4 3 157 176 -19     ... 70
Midlothian 4 3 156 170 -14     ... 136
Moray 4 1 142 154 -12     ... 13
Shetland Islands 3 1 135 109 +26     ... 0
East Lothian 4 3 113 130 -17     ... 148
Argyll and Bute 4/3 2 87 86 +1     ... 29
Na h-Eileanan Siar 3 1 30 19 +11     ... 22
Orkney Islands 3 1 27 27 0     ... 0

21 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Surely supermarkets must be considered to be one?

And, purely out of spite, I'd sniper all joggers and their heavy breathing antics. :) 

I'm going to breathe extra heavy on my run tonight, and cough whilst I do it, just to spite you further 😂

22 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

What is the real transmission hotspot that has not been closed down?

Public transport? Hospitals? Care homes?  The biggest mistake the govt has made is to shut parts of the economy with no evidence that they were responsible for infections. Hospitality being the prime example.  They don't appear to have learnt anything. They should always have been targetting WHERE it was spreading not just "reducing interactions".

26 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Enough + numbers to keep everyone concerned.

Indeed. For the cases, the Tuesday figures are often up on the Monday figures, and today's figures do show a good decline from last Tuesday's, so that provides some welcome news. The deaths, hospitalisations and ICU use figures aren't good of course, but that's to be expected given the festive period case surge. Those vaccines can't come soon enough.

I know of quite a few over 80s who have heard **** all about vaccine appointments.  GP practices are supposed to have their stocks but there seems to be a bottleneck in the contacting of people.

Please don't tell me they've done this by post?

Malinga the Swinga
27 minutes ago, cheetah said:

It's a nice soundbite and fits in well with your anti-Israeli agenda. But its a complete fabrication of the truth. Israel are not responsible for giving the vaccine to Palestinians, that's the job of the autonomous Palestinian authority, who have said they will start vaccinations in February.

Any Palestinian who lives in Israel proper is being offered a vaccination. I know this as i have Israeli -Arab friends who have been vaccinated in Jerusalem last week by Israeli medical staff.

Am still on break from posting re covid but this isn't a Covid type of post. Well done on correcting the posters spouting their notmal anti Israel agenda. No hint of truth in what they are saying but then again, truth isn't the aim, just spreading lies about another country. 

Just now, Victorian said:

I know of quite a few over 80s who have heard **** all about vaccine appointments.  GP practices are supposed to have their stocks but there seems to be a bottleneck in the contacting of people.

My Old man is 94 and he is only getting his on Thursday, assume there is quite a few to get to before the over 80's get done, although I thought Scottish people didn't live that long.

1 minute ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Am still on break from posting re covid but this isn't a Covid type of post. Well done on correcting the posters spouting their notmal anti Israel agenda. No hint of truth in what they are saying but then again, truth isn't the aim, just spreading lies about another country. 

Cheers, I generally don't get involved in this kind of thing but blatant lies boil my piss. 

Fxxx the SPFL
21 minutes ago, Taffin said:

I'm going to breathe extra heavy on my run tonight, and cough whilst I do it, just to spite you further 😂

and i will whizzz past on my penny farthing and cough as i pass you  ;)

The Real Maroonblood
33 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Today's per-capita 7-day case rates around the councils. Note that this is now based on the date that the positive tests were reported, not the date when the samples were taken. This will allow the data to be more timely, showing spikes and drops sooner. I've recalculated yesterday's figures on this basis. I've also not included the immediate historic data as it would be like comparing lemons and limes. After a few days, the table will start looking normal again. The peak value for Scotland last week was 298, so touch wood we're heading back down. As has been the case in the past, however, the rises are steep and the resultant declines shallow.

7-day per-100,000 cases        
Council Area Tier Previous Today Yesterday       ... 20 Dec
Scotland     264 275 -11     ... 98
Inverclyde 4 2 401 428 -27     ... 59
North Lanarkshire 4 3 393 396 -3     ... 119
Renfrewshire 4 3 386 393 -7     ... 116
Glasgow City 4 3 380 383 -3     ... 129
Dumfries & Galloway 4 1 348 376 -28     ... 32
North Ayrshire 4 3 337 324 +13     ... 175
Dundee City 4 3 313 344 -31     ... 113
East Ayrshire 4 3 298 311 -13     ... 153
South Lanarkshire 4 3 281 311 -30     ... 120
Falkirk 4 2 272 289 -17     ... 60
East Dunbartonshire 4 3 269 283 -14     ... 70
Aberdeen City 4 3 266 272 -6     ... 163
Scottish Borders 4 1 261 260 +1     ... 85
South Ayrshire 4 3 251 251 0     ... 98
Perth and Kinross 4 3 245 264 -19     ... 126
West Dunbartonshire 4 3 244 268 -24     ... 120
Clackmannanshire 4 3 229 262 -33     ... 148
East Renfrewshire 4 3 226 228 -2     ... 101
Angus 4 2 222 245 -23     ... 37
Aberdeenshire 4 3 222 245 -23     ... 88
Fife 4 3 208 218 -10     ... 97
Highland 4/3 1 199 214 -15     ... 17
Edinburgh City 4 3 189 206 -17     ... 109
West Lothian 4 3 158 150 +8     ... 83
Stirling 4 3 157 176 -19     ... 70
Midlothian 4 3 156 170 -14     ... 136
Moray 4 1 142 154 -12     ... 13
Shetland Islands 3 1 135 109 +26     ... 0
East Lothian 4 3 113 130 -17     ... 148
Argyll and Bute 4/3 2 87 86 +1     ... 29
Na h-Eileanan Siar 3 1 30 19 +11     ... 22
Orkney Islands 3 1 27 27 0     ... 0

👍

15 minutes ago, Victorian said:

I've said before, but my Mum in her mid-80s has heard nothing.

24 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Don't exert yourself too much. Would be a shame if you slipped and did yourself a wee injury, like smashing your kneecaps into a thousand pieces or breaking your arms. ;) 

😭😭

1 hour ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Asda & Tesco have joined Morrisons & Sainsbury's in saying that they will enforce the wearing of face masks for everyone unless they are exempt.

Just how they are going to police it and enforce it I'm not all that sure, because if someone say's that they are exempt, are they going to ask for proof?   And if so that opens up a whole new can of worms, in terms of privacy and data protection, I'd had thought.

John Lewis ceasing non essential click and collect too.

Wonder if they have been tipped off at UK level?

14 minutes ago, **** the SPFL said:

and i will whizzz past on my penny farthing and cough as i pass you  ;)

Your penny farthing is no match for my supreme speed!

The Real Maroonblood
19 minutes ago, Victorian said:

My mother 93 was phoned by her GP saying they would contact her when the vaccine would be carried out.

2 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

John Lewis ceasing non essential click and collect too.

Wonder if they have been tipped off at UK level?

Amazon must have thought it couldn't get any better than last year...yet here it comes!! 

26 minutes ago, Victorian said:

I did see a pack that was going to GPs that included a template letter for their patients to tell them where and when to go for their jag.

Yes, why letters but over 80s are the most vulnerable for telephone scamming so perhaps the most risk free option.

Edited by DETTY29

24 minutes ago, Victorian said:

The vaccination process feels slow and cumbersome,  the numbers (looks like 12k yesterday) and evidence like this seem to back that up. 

Have the government panicked too quickly regarding lockdowns ? We should be in the middle of the Christmas upsurge but not meets seem to be levelling, declining slightly. Lockdown effects still be felt can I’d expect a steady decline coming days/weeks. 

Governor Tarkin
1 hour ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Plenty of them down here, especially on the school run, the 200 metre school run for some of them.

Need them down you're way, Jimbo.

A decent bit of snow and your average motor is ****ed.

1 minute ago, Brian Dundas said:

Cases are levelling off but hospital admission and deaths are not yet. Hopefully we will see a vaccination effect on the death and hospital numbers as well as lockdown so they come down more steeply than in the past. 🤞

Agree. But the rate of jabs going into the arms of the old and vulnerable needs to speed up significantly 

Toxteth O'Grady
37 minutes ago, Victorian said:

My mum just told me the Dr has just phoned her - appointments for her and my Dad together on Friday - they are 89 and 83

7 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

Cases are levelling off but hospital admission and deaths are not yet. Hopefully we will see a vaccination effect on the death and hospital numbers as well as lockdown so they come down more steeply than in the past. 🤞

Do they not need to get the second jab to get that immunity so may be a further lag since the vaccination periods got spread out.

1 hour ago, cheetah said:

The Palestinian Authority have a contract with Russia for them to supply the 'Sputnik V' vaccine.

https://tass.com/world/1234373

Notice the date of this article, it's the 12 December, which is 8 days before Israel began it's vaccination programme on the 20 December, meaning that the Palestinian Authority had 4 million 'Sputnik V' vaccines on order long before the first Pfizer vaccine arrived in Israel and the first Israeli was vaccinated.

2 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

It does, 12.5K a day isn't enough, needs to be double that to keep up with the promised rates and they actually want to go faster than that.

Yep , double that and then some. I'm surprised there are no mass vaccination hubs ready to go in Glasgow, Edinburgh and up north. Know plenty of 70+ who would do a drive through jab. 24*7 , 7 days a week. But doesn't feel like the urgency is there

So what has changed with the supermarkets and why is it all over the news?  If someone doesn’t want to wear a mask all they need to say is ‘exempt’ and they can carry on as normal? 

10 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Need them down you're way, Jimbo.

A decent bit of snow and your average motor is ****ed.

This can be true, it's ice that's the problem the now, temp was -9 the other morning.

Snow forcast for tomorrow though.

49 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Well that's Peebles fecked then, it's still the pony express up there.

2 hours ago, jonesy said:

Perhaps her trout got tickled?

😒🤢

1 hour ago, manaliveits105 said:

There should be 24/7 vaccinations now or asap- 

or her caviar fertilised 

😒🤢

1 hour ago, jonesy said:

Surely supermarkets must be considered to be one?

And, purely out of spite, I'd sniper all joggers and their heavy breathing antics. :) 

🤣 Supermarkets have to have been hives of transmission. Look at the number of staff even my local one has had off with it or symptoms - their reaction “a precautionary 3hour deep clean” bring staff from other stores to cover absences. Another poster mentioned their brother works in one in Aberdeen and found out about staff there testing positive from the news. Supermarkets like other businesses that are open will hide it best they can. 
Customers up here are not very good at wearing masks either. Again like all rules its done half assed and/or aimed at limiting inconvenience to certain people

1 hour ago, Brian Dundas said:

I should add, supermarkets will have issues if a staff member turns up to work when infectious, probably as they don't know, then I suspect it is bad news for the other members of staff.

As above

2 minutes ago, Shanks said:

So what has changed with the supermarkets and why is it all over the news?  If someone doesn’t want to wear a mask all they need to say is ‘exempt’ and they can carry on as normal? 

Nothing really, just that the supermarkets are saying they are going to enforce the wearing of face masks, which tbh they should have been doing for the last 6 months, when it became law back in July.

As another poster pointed out, the exempt are still exempt, so there's nothing new.

1 minute ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Nothing really, just that the supermarkets are saying they are going to enforce the wearing of face masks, which tbh they should have been doing for the last 6 months, when it became law back in July.

As another poster pointed out, the exempt are still exempt, so there's nothing new.

The problem is that those that don't want to comply just walk up and say they have asthma.

14 minutes ago, Lord Inglis said:

Yep , double that and then some. I'm surprised there are no mass vaccination hubs ready to go in Glasgow, Edinburgh and up north. Know plenty of 70+ who would do a drive through jab. 24*7 , 7 days a week. But doesn't feel like the urgency is there

All these questions and more were answered at today's briefing.

3 minutes ago, frankblack said:

The problem is that those that don't want to comply just walk up and say they have asthma.

This is where the half assed attitude from the governments come in. Make it law and enforce it. A lot of supermarkets have security in place others could employ them helping another industry devastated by covid. Then enforce it. Its surely not hard to issue exemptions. We have had what six months since it was required.

I have asthma and i have lung problems from pneumonia and pleurisy , if i wear a mask for an extended period i start to struggle to breathe but for my safety and others I wear my mask when in places its required. 

human nature is such that many people will just push back against authority or try to act the big man by not following the rules/advice given. Again that all comes back to enforcing regulations/laws/rules etc etc , the biggest **** up of all over the last year is no consequences for doing as you please as opposed to what is required. 

Just now, jonesy said:

Nah, was referencing that video someone posted the other week with the lad on the penny farthing getting wiped out by a DPD.

Missed that 😮🤣

2 minutes ago, coconut doug said:

All these questions and more were answered at today's briefing.

I have a job so missed it. When the mass vaccination centres opening up then and where ?

Konrad von Carstein
1 hour ago, jonesy said:

My wife works for one of the big supermarket chains and has worn a mask on the shop floor since the get go. My jokes about her being ugly and continuing to wear one at home went down like a lead balloon.

:lol:

Just now, Lord Inglis said:

I have a job so missed it. When the mass vaccination centres opening up then and where ?

Very soon. I cant remember if a precise date was given but a thousand locations were identified. The priority has been care homes (80% complete) which take more time because of frailty and because Pfizer vaccine needs more care. Some of Pfizer vaccine not used as it was kept back for booster now available because of guarantee of future supply. Increased supplies of Astrazenica now available so jab rate can now be increased. 

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic