Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

15 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Just heard a former work colleague and a former neighbour have both died from Covid-19 over the weekend. :(

Condolences.  I've not personally known anyone who has taken seriously ill from it so far.

47 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

The news last night kept showing lots of people exercising in a big park - no big groups and they were clearly social distancing but the news team were obviously trying to get the best angles to try and make it look like they werent 

when they have enquiries after this is all over I hope they include media coverage 

Exercise even in a group, indoors, sharing equipment would have a net positive output imo despite the risks.

Still a massive correlation between obesity and sub-optimal recovery from Covid. Happy to be corrected in that though if it's changed.

Before I'm accused of making stuff up, this is what I'm basing the above on:

"For example, in the first metaanalysis of its kind, published on 26 August in Obesity Reviews, an international team of researchers pooled data from scores of peer-reviewed papers capturing 399,000 patients. They found that people with obesity who contracted SARS-CoV-2 were 113% more likely than people of healthy weight to land in the hospital, 74% more likely to be admitted to an ICU, and 48% more likely to die." From 'Science'.

Edited by Taffin

Freeman confirms same commitment as Johnson for England that all top 4 groups to be done by mid February.

Usual caveats of offered and some who test +  before mid Feb in these groups will need to hang fire for a few weeks before they can get theirs.

2 hours ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

I feel the same in terms of supporting local business but I guess the point I’m making is that an artisan bread shop is in no way more essential than a shop that sells playstations. I know it’s food but we’re not talking staples. It just struck me as I ran up that road that about 75 per cent of the shops or more were open in a period when the country is supposed to be under a strict lockdown. For example, there are two green grocers five doors up from each other. I know neither would want to close but it really makes no sense.

Very harsh comment about the two green grocers . Both are businesses and they are fighting to survive but u just flippantly believe one of them should close . That Selfish attitude regarding businesses is now endemic with some parts of the population 

2 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

I find it difficult to be hard on people who are only trying to keep their businesses afloat or simply earn an honest living.

Exactly 

53 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Exercise even in a group, indoors, sharing equipment would have a net positive output imo despite the risks.

Still a massive correlation between obesity and sub-optimal recovery from Covid. Happy to be corrected in that though if it's changed.

Before I'm accused of making stuff up, this is what I'm basing the above on:

"For example, in the first metaanalysis of its kind, published on 26 August in Obesity Reviews, an international team of researchers pooled data from scores of peer-reviewed papers capturing 399,000 patients. They found that people with obesity who contracted SARS-CoV-2 were 113% more likely than people of healthy weight to land in the hospital, 74% more likely to be admitted to an ICU, and 48% more likely to die." From 'Science'.

Yes I read that 40% and higher of those who have died in the U.K. have been clinically obese . I recall a new item about a  “ healthy “ young “ nurse 38 who had died , camera panned to a  pic of her and she looked very overweight . 

13 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Very harsh comment about the two green grocers . Both are businesses and they are fighting to survive but u just flippantly believe one of them should close . That Selfish attitude regarding businesses is now endemic with some parts of the population 

Exactly 

Yes I read that 40% and higher of those who have died in the U.K. have been clinically obese . I recall a new item about a  “ healthy “ young “ nurse 38 who had died , camera panned to a  pic of her and she looked very overweight . 

It's similar to the word essential, is 'healthy'. It's taken on a bit of a different meaning, and means something different to everyone. I think the WHO definition is actually quite a good one:

"Health is a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity."

However it falls over a bit with 'well-being'. What does physical, mental and social well-being look like, if not merely the absence of disease or infirmity...that's hard to pin down and will look different for different people. What we can take from that though, is that being overweight or more so, obese, could not be considered healthy, at least to my reading of it.

Edited by Taffin

5 minutes ago, Taffin said:

It's similar to the word essential, is 'healthy'. It's taken on a bit of a different meaning, and means something different to everyone. I think the WHO definition is actually quite a good one:

"Health is a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity."

However it falls over a bit with 'well-being'. What does physical, mental and social well-being look like, if not merely the absence of disease or infirmity...that's hard to pin down and will look different for different people. What we can take from that though, is that being overweight or more so, obese, could not be considered healthy, at least to my reading of it.

Yes I agree 

We supply a range of goods and services.  Some are essential and some not.  We're open but there's no requirement we know of to limit activity to only the obvious essential stuff.  People are continuing to visit and call in relation to the obviously not essential.

Based on the people doing this here,  it looks like they either haven't understood the rules to only do what is essential,  or they're choosing to ignore it.  Perhaps a bit of both by assuming they're allowed to visit somewhere that's open for business,  even though their visit is not essential.

I'm guessing fines are being handed out left right at centre to queues for the vaccine based on the picture shown on the Guardians feed? 

2 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

They need to give up on the "Stay at Home" message. It's nonsense as people have to go out, supermarkets, exercising, working etc. What does "Stay at Home" actually mean, in practice?? 

People walking about , socially distanced, with a take away coffee, or families sledging are not the problem.

Would be far more effective to enforce the rules in places like supermarkets,  buses etc and ban car sharing for example?? I see one guy is suing Aldi for asking him to wear a mask, apparently he has anxiety. Well fair enough but he should be carrying an exemption. Enforcement of important rules is far more effective than meaningless soundbites like "Stay at Home "

You might be correct! Maybe try a wee bit reverse psychology, "Every man/woman/child for themselves, unleash hell" then the ***kwits/selfish might comply...:thumbsup:

Governor Tarkin
3 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Based on the people doing this here,  it looks like they either haven't understood the rules to only do what is essential,  or they're choosing to ignore it.  Perhaps a bit of both by assuming they're allowed to visit somewhere that's open for business,  even though their visit is not essential.

If they're already out/in somewhere for essentials there's no logical reason that they should be denied access to non essentials if they are readily available at no increased risk.

1 minute ago, GBJambo said:

Looks like the government, as part of stricter measures, are looking to scrap support bubbles. Not a good idea IMO 

This will be roundly ignored.

It’s vitally important that no one meets anyone from another household unless absolutely necessary.  It could be a matter of life or death for someone.  Stick to video calls when you can 

5 minutes ago, GBJambo said:

Looks like the government, as part of stricter measures, are looking to scrap support bubbles. Not a good idea IMO 

Awful idea. Though, I was shocked to read after someone asked a question on here that in Scotland people in a relationship but don't live together can be in a support bubble regardless of whether they live alone or not. I'd be in favour of limiting it to only those who live alone, but removing it for them would be an really heinous act.

Weakened Offender
2 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

They need to give up on the "Stay at Home" message. It's nonsense as people have to go out, supermarkets, exercising, working etc. What does "Stay at Home" actually mean, in practice?? 

People walking about , socially distanced, with a take away coffee, or families sledging are not the problem.

Would be far more effective to enforce the rules in places like supermarkets,  buses etc and ban car sharing for example?? I see one guy is suing Aldi for asking him to wear a mask, apparently he has anxiety. Well fair enough but he should be carrying an exemption. Enforcement of important rules is far more effective than meaningless soundbites like "Stay at Home "

Agreed. 

The supermarkets are taking the piss and showing zero concern for the welfare of their staff. 

1 minute ago, Weakened Offender said:

Agreed. 

The supermarkets are taking the piss and showing zero concern for the welfare of their staff. 

:clap:

3 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

If they're already out/in somewhere for essentials there's no logical reason that they should be denied access to non essentials if they are readily available at no increased risk.

This will be roundly ignored.

I think the SG would strongly disagree.  It's still additional contacts they're making which is an increased risk.

It could be that people are using this as their justification or just simply not caring.  

Governor Tarkin
1 minute ago, Victorian said:

It could be that people are using this as their justification or just simply not caring.  

After almost a year of this shit it's a mindset I can sympathise with.

11 minutes ago, GBJambo said:

Surely people can have video calls with others if they need to speak to someone.  Why the need for seeing them in 3D??

it will only be for a short period of time.  Plenty of helplines too for those with mental health issues 

5 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

It’s vitally important that no one meets anyone from another household unless absolutely necessary.  It could be a matter of life or death for someone.  Stick to video calls when you can 

Thanks for that advice . I’ve just called my gran but she says she can’t video call ? Says her phone is a Nokia ? Any further advice regarding this ? 

778798AC-A1FF-4A7A-9F64-94BC825AB1F2.jpeg

Weakened Offender
31 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Very harsh comment about the two green grocers . Both are businesses and they are fighting to survive but u just flippantly believe one of them should close . 

Quite an incredible comment from you after your post about the overweight rock-climber the other day. You really are the utter pits on this thread. 

2 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Surely people can have video calls with others if they need to speak to someone.  Why the need for seeing them in 3D??

it will only be for a short period of time.  Plenty of helplines too for those with mental health issues 

You really don’t understand mental health issues so best not to comment 

And it’s not a short period of time. Possibly until March/April 

Edited by GBJambo

2 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

Quite an incredible comment from you after your post about the overweight rock-climber the other day. You really are the utter pits on this thread. 

Good morning ! How are you ? Woke up the wrong side of bed again ? It’s a new week , new start . Embrace it 

3 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

A lot of older people can not do video calls etc

4 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

This schtick might have passed when it may actually have just been for a short period time. After nearly a year, now it's it's just tiresome trolling 🥱🥱

Edited by Taffin

16 minutes ago, GBJambo said:

Quite rightly be ignored and completely unenforceable anyway 

9 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Awful idea. Though, I was shocked to read after someone asked a question on here that in Scotland people in a relationship but don't live together can be in a support bubble regardless of whether they live alone or not. I'd be in favour of limiting it to only those who live alone, but removing it for them would be an really heinous act.

Yes it would be a cruel restriction In so many ways . Luckily it’s completely unenforceable 

Just now, the general said:

A lot of older people can not do video calls etc

They can use phones for a short period of time 

4 minutes ago, GBJambo said:

You really don’t understand mental health issues so best not to comment 

And it’s not a short period of time. Possibly until March/April 

I actually do

there are plenty of other things out there to help mental health other than seeing people in 3D

6 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

After almost a year of this shit it's a mindset I can sympathise with.

I think we can all understand the mindset.  But it's certainly evidence that people are refusing to follow the intended spirit of what's being asked of them.  It's not really helping the situation.

William H. Bonney
1 minute ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

I actually do

there are plenty of other things out there to help mental health other than seeing people in 3D

i can’t have a threesome with the 2 cheap Eastern European hookers I paid for over the phone. I have to see them in person. 

I actually do

I think you’ll find the biggest boast for anyones mental health is meeting people face to face not 3 d ! ( with safety measure in place ) 

Edited by JamesM48

Just now, JamesM48 said:

I think you’ll find the biggest boast for anyone is meeting people face to face not 3 d ! ( with safety measure in place ) 

Tell me what meeting face to face offers that video call doesn’t - when you are not allowed to hug people etc 

Tell me what meeting face to face offers that video call doesn’t - when you are not allowed to hug people etc 

We have already established that video calls are not always possible

Face to face is a million times better than a phone call

Governor Tarkin

If you need to ask that question then you are incapable of comprehending the answer.

Weakened Offender
15 minutes ago, Furious Styles said:

i can’t have a threesome with the 2 cheap Eastern European hookers I paid for over the phone. I have to see them in person. 

You have a DM, mate. 

9 minutes ago, the general said:

We have already established that video calls are not always possible

Face to face is a million times better than a phone call

I’m talking about the majority of people who have smart phones / tablets etc - what can you not do in video call that can only do in 3D - when you’re not allowed to hug / shake hands anyway?

10 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Well when we meet people face to face we are more able to  “ read “ and “ decode “ what there are saying as we can see them right in front of us . It therefore means we are more able to respond appropriately and compassionately  to them , unlike a telephone call . A video call does allow one to see the others face but physical face to face is preferable 

14 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Meetings at work are far less productive when trying to brainstorm, often taking 3 or 4 times longer than a face to face meeting where you can draw on a whiteboard in front of people.

1 minute ago, JamesM48 said:

Well when we meet people face to face we are more able to  “ read “ and “ decode “ what there are saying as we can see them right in front of us . It therefore means we are more able to respond appropriately and compassionately  to them , unlike a telephone call . A video call does allow one to see the others face but physical face to face is preferable 

Preferable but not essential - that’s my point.

Just now, frankblack said:

Meetings at work are far less productive when trying to brainstorm, often taking 3 or 4 times longer than a face to face meeting where you can draw on a whiteboard in front of people.

We are not talking about work and whiteboards though 

3 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

You have a DM, mate. 

That’s vile . Talking about me and my comments yesterday and your making a joke about exploiting vulnerable women for your own sexual gratification ! Now that’s disgusting in my book ! Touché to u 

36 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

Agreed. 

👌🏻🤘🏻👍🏻

Preferable but not essential - that’s my point.

Slippery road to go down. We do lots of things that are preferable but not essential. Some of them are worth doing.

1 minute ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

We are not talking about work and whiteboards though 

It is relevant as you can judge face to face if people are understanding you via their facial expressions etc.  With a call involving multiple people that isn't easy to notice, especially when most don't have webcams or have them off.

7 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

I’m talking about the majority of people who have smart phones / tablets etc - what can you not do in video call that can only do in 3D - when you’re not allowed to hug / shake hands anyway?

Stop going on about video calls

Just now, the general said:

Stop going on about video calls

Umm no because it’s important to stop people meeting up unnecessarily with other households 

4 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

That’s vile . Talking about me and my comments yesterday and your making a joke about exploiting vulnerable women for your own sexual gratification ! Now that’s disgusting in my book ! Touché to u 

Gender was not mentioned...

2 minutes ago, OBE said:

Gender was not mentioned...

Oh yes thanks for picking me up on that . Me of all people making assumptions like that . 😵Ok  I’ll rephrase it “ exploiting any vulnerable gender “ 

Weakened Offender
14 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Ridiculous. 

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic