Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

1 minute ago, Taffin said:

No idea. 

However, more people vaccinated equals better suppression unless you focus the vaccination on those most likely to catch and spread the virus, which Scotland isn't doing. Asymptomatic or or otherwise doesn't really come into it. 

No the first phase is to prevent severe cases to aid the NHS.  The hospital numbers should drop like a stone and level off,  but not drop to near zero.  After the NHS has been given that crucial break then it's time to concentrate on the epidemiological case for suppression from immunisations.

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Brighton Jambo

I am concerned by this data.  Especially as England has mass vaccination hubs up and running.  We will fall further and further behind if we aren’t careful.

I am not making a political point with this chart I just desperately want this to be over and this graph isn’t helping my mood.  What am I missing? 

32F32491-FA34-4E1E-B4C0-2CB82C86217C.jpeg

Edited by Brighton Jambo

2 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

I am concerned by this data.  Especially as England has mass vaccination hubs up and running.  We will fall further and further behind if we aren’t careful.

I am not making a political point with this chart I just desperately want this to be over and this graph isn’t helping my mood.  What and I missing? 

We have fewer people to vaccinate. Proportionally we are well ahead of England.

2 minutes ago, Victorian said:

No the first phase is to prevent severe cases to aid the NHS.  The hospital numbers should drop like a stone and level off,  but not drop to near zero.  After the NHS has been given that crucial break then it's time to concentrate on the epidemiological case for suppression from immunisations.

Sorry I don't follow. How does vaccinating less people in phase one as a percentage of that population equate to better suppression of the virus compared to a country who's vaccinated a higher percentage of their phase one population?

8 minutes ago, Taffin said:

For clarity I'm referring to this, on bold. It may result in better outcomes in terms of hospitalisation and deaths etc but I don't understand how that approach can have better suppression of the virus. 

Suppression of the effects of the virus then. That's what counts and as far as i can see that's what we are at least trying to do.

Brighton Jambo
1 minute ago, hughesie27 said:

That not what that data says.  It’s says we are way behind England and NI.  It’s done as a number per million so proportionality  doesn’t come into it.  

Just now, Taffin said:

Sorry I don't follow. How does vaccinating less people in phase one as a percentage of that population equate to better suppression of the virus compared to a country who's vaccinated a higher percentage of their phase one population?

It doesn't.  All I'm saying is that suppression is not the prime purpose of this phase.  It's all about severe disease prevention.  The suppression comes later.

Just now, Brighton Jambo said:

That not what that data says.  It’s says we are way behind England and NI.  It’s done as a number per million so proportionality  doesn’t come into it.  

Ah sorry never looked that closely to be fair.

4 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

If there's a way to mess up the vaccination roll out our public sector will find it. 

Well the private sector messed up test and trace. 

So you have a point.

14 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

I am not making a political point with this chart I just desperately want this to be over and this graph isn’t helping my mood.  What am I missing? 

I'm worried we are lagging behind but the Dundee Courier and Travelling Tabby do vaccinatons data too, and the gap isn't as wide.

Edit - not direct comparisons as per head of population (m) v. %age of, but shouldn't be too disimilar.

Screenshot_20210112-183943_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20210112-184045_Samsung Internet.jpg

Edited by DETTY29

Just now, Brighton Jambo said:

Feels about right  . England seem to have mobilised at scale, faster. 

Just now, coconut doug said:

Suppression of the effects of the virus then. That's what counts and as far as i can see that's what we are at least trying to do.

But so are England, they're vaccinating exactly the same demographic as Scotland in phase 1...except they've done a higher percentage of that population. That's the part in not really following, I just don't understand how vaccinating less of those people can be seen as a good thing. It's very possible I'm simply missing why that's the case.

34 minutes ago, coconut doug said:

You missed Patel today and the Hancock yesterday then? They had police, doctors,scientists,the Press and the public. Absolutely the best podium briefings in the world. The FM could learn a thing from them especially about how not to answer a question.

Yes, I do avoid Pretty Flamingo and her briefings too. She’s certainly easier on the eye than La Sturge and doesn't tut and roll her eyes when a journo strays from the script, but at least the UK stopped the briefings during the summer. Sturgeon has never stopped talking since March

2 hours ago, sadj said:

This is where the half assed attitude from the governments come in. Make it law and enforce it. A lot of supermarkets have security in place others could employ them helping another industry devastated by covid. Then enforce it. Its surely not hard to issue exemptions. We have had what six months since it was required.

I have asthma and i have lung problems from pneumonia and pleurisy , if i wear a mask for an extended period i start to struggle to breathe but for my safety and others I wear my mask when in places its required. 

human nature is such that many people will just push back against authority or try to act the big man by not following the rules/advice given. Again that all comes back to enforcing regulations/laws/rules etc etc , the biggest **** up of all over the last year is no consequences for doing as you please as opposed to what is required. 

I've spoken to others with asthma who also fully comply with the regulations even if its uncomfortable.

5 minutes ago, Victorian said:

It doesn't.  All I'm saying is that suppression is not the prime purpose of this phase.  It's all about severe disease prevention.  The suppression comes later.

I know that, I was asking a question to a poster who said that Scotland was probably doing a better job of suppression than England by having done a lower percentage of the people in phase 1 than England has. I think however it's just crossed wires between him and I.

Edit: however I suppose what percentage those in each phase make up of overall population is important because I assume the percentage of population figure refers to the entire population, so do we actually know what percentage of each phase we've done?

Edited by Taffin

Brighton Jambo
3 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

I'm worried we are lagging behind but the Dundee Courier and Trvalling Tabby do vaccinatons data too, and the gap isn't as wide

Screenshot_20210112-183943_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20210112-184045_Samsung Internet.jpg

Good stuff, that’s a relief and much more positive outlook.  

1 minute ago, Taffin said:

But so are England, they're vaccinating exactly the same demographic as Scotland in phase 1...except they've done a higher percentage of that population. That's the part in not really following, I just don't understand how vaccinating less of those people can be seen as a good thing. It's very possible I'm simply missing why that's the case.

I dont think they are following the same demographic. Scotland has now vaccinated more than 80% of care home residents acording to the FM. England with more vaccinations but a smaller proportion in care homes.

2 minutes ago, frankblack said:

I've spoken to others with asthma who also fully comply with the regulations even if its uncomfortable.

Exactly , I think the genuine sufferers will have no problem showing an exemption if required. I would imagine for the most part it will be the ones who just don’t give a shit and throw it out as an excuse to not wear one that will complain rather than people who genuinely could have an exemption. 

5 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Yes, I do avoid Pretty Flamingo and her briefings too. She’s certainly easier on the eye than La Sturge and doesn't tut and roll her eyes when a journo strays from the script, but at least the UK stopped the briefings during the summer. Sturgeon has never stopped talking since March

When this is all over we should have poll on who our favourite briefer is. I know who i'm voting for.

1 minute ago, coconut doug said:

When this is all over we should have poll on who our favourite briefer is. I know who i'm voting for.

Wait , so a vote for who is best in briefs? 🤔

I dont think they are following the same demographic. Scotland has now vaccinated more than 80% of care home residents acording to the FM. England with more vaccinations but a smaller proportion in care homes.

In that case it will indeed I imagine have a better effect at reducing the strain on the NHS and the better health outcomes. I think we're in agreement, you just lost me on terminology around suppression and I was wrong about their rollout plans being the same 👍

2 minutes ago, coconut doug said:

Matt Hancock?

Yeah, and best supporting act too.

A young Kelly Brook is a possible “best in briefs” not sure about support though

42 minutes ago, Lord Inglis said:

Sounds like you did well to get a jab . 

Like your stats each day btw. Decent . If you can add vaccines delivered each day as a total as well that would be amazing !! 

Ah, now that's the premium package. It'll cost you a fair bit... ;)

They've just today started adding the vaccination progress to the daily Scottish numbers which I post each day (see below). Now that they've started doing so, I can add on a quick note each day on how the figures have changed since the last daily report, the same as I do for the other figures. Would that do you if they're going to update it daily?

Scottish numbers: 12 January 2021

Summary

• [...]
  • 175,942 people have received their first dose of the COVID-19 vaccination and 2,857 have received their second dose

33 minutes ago, Victorian said:

I'm a bit suspicious of giving GPs too much of a free hand and without support in the way of personnel and money.  They can't simply leave GPs to decide upon their method and timetable of contact and appointments.  Certainly not without providing enough support.  There is no way on earth that the contact should be limited to letters as the Royal Mail are taking quite a time to make deliveries.  It would be highly effective to fund small teams of telephone contact staff to phone around and fill up the appointment spaces.  I know there's an issue re scamming and trust but every appointment could be verified by email or by enabling relatives to verify by phone,  etc.   At the very least GPs should be providing up to date status updates on their websites (if they have them) instead of stonewalling statements about knowing nothing yet and not to call.

If any GP still doesn't have any information about timescales or supplies then they probably should be seeking it.  To be proactive.

One of the advantages of living in a small town where there is only one GP's surgery, you get to know their phone number, and they only ever use one of two numbers, you also get to know the receptionist's voice.

By phone was how they contacted me for the flu jab.

1 minute ago, jonesy said:

Personally I have good days and bad days with masks and my own asthma. Small shops, quick visits for one thing, no problem. Corridor at work to make a cup of coffee. No problem. More than five minutes and I'm struggling, TBH. Haven't been for 'the family shopping' since the masks were made compulsory. And I'm an otherwise reasonably fit and healthy guy in my late 30s, climb Munros at a fair pace, cycle, play(ed) 5-a-sides without keeling over.

Have tried different types of face covering, too.

The attitude of some people towards non-mask wearers (and I'm not talking about the gangs of neds that hang out in shopping centres breathing on stuff or similar) borders on the discriminatory, and should be called out as such. I went once to a larger supermarket, just before Christmas, SG-approved exemption badge on display, tried to ensure I gave folk a wide berth (and it was late at night, so plenty space), and got tuts, eye rolls and pointed at.

Some folk just cannot wear masks for a decent length of time, and still need to go shopping. Perhaps it's psychological, perhaps not.

And that Hamilton laddie ought to be thread-banned from this thread for his discriminatory stance on masks.

Were you trying the other kind of face coverings on your trip to a larger supermarket before Christmas. Maybe they were tutting at their outward disapproval of the gimpmask.....

The ones that amuse me are the ones not wearing masks correctly that tut at others 🙈

Toxteth O'Grady
4 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Personally I have good days and bad days with masks and my own asthma. Small shops, quick visits for one thing, no problem. Corridor at work to make a cup of coffee. No problem. More than five minutes and I'm struggling, TBH. Haven't been for 'the family shopping' since the masks were made compulsory. And I'm an otherwise reasonably fit and healthy guy in my late 30s, climb Munros at a fair pace, cycle, play(ed) 5-a-sides without keeling over.

The attitude of some people towards non-mask wearers (and I'm not talking about the gangs of neds that hang out in shopping centres breathing on stuff or similar) borders on the discriminatory, and should be called out as such. I went once to a larger supermarket, just before Christmas, SG-approved exemption badge on display, tried to ensure I gave folk a wide berth (and it was late at night, so plenty space), and got tuts, eye rolls and pointed at.

Some folk just cannot wear masks for a decent length of time, and still need to go shopping. Perhaps it's psychological, perhaps not.

And that Hamilton laddie ought to be thread-banned from this thread for his discriminatory stance on masks.

Im not keen on masks and really don’t like wearing them for long but I’ve done it when it is required. The ones made by TRTL are the best I’ve worm for breathability and comfort 

1 minute ago, jonesy said:

s-l1600.jpg

Here's me in the reduced items section.

🤣🤣 

That is some pair of lips

Edited by sadj

6 minutes ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

Im not keen on masks and really don’t like wearing them for long but I’ve done it when it is required. The ones made by TRTL are the best I’ve worm for breathability and comfort 

Not heard of them i’ll go have a lookie , Iv just been wearing ones branded with the charity im affiliated with on it.

8 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Ah, now that's the premium package. It'll cost you a fair bit... ;)

They've just today started adding the vaccination progress to the daily Scottish numbers which I post each day (see below). Now that they've started doing so, I can add on a quick note each day on how the figures have changed since the last daily report, the same as I do for the other figures. Would that do you if they're going to update it daily?

Scottish numbers: 12 January 2021

Summary

• [...]
  • 175,942 people have received their first dose of the COVID-19 vaccination and 2,857 have received their second dose

That would be really good mate  , thanks

And then when you start to build up a picture a measure that shows % and volume vaccinated by "tier" and by local health authority would be superb LOL

18 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Almost as bad as the way you discriminate against joggers :lol:

Honestly though if you struggle to wear a mask for 5 mins I’d hate to see the state of you with covid. 

Just now, jonesy said:

Persecuting joggers is okay. Anyone in lycra is fair game.

Love the Covid; I used to have to do the weekly shopping, and I'm a tight git. Now the wife's doing it, and, while she spends about double what I would to feed a family of four, it does mean I get steaks and stuff. Every cloud...

Anyone in lycra? Some women I can appreciate when they wear lycra 😇

26 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Love the Covid; I used to have to do the weekly shopping, and I'm a tight git. Now the wife's doing it, and, while she spends about double what I would to feed a family of four, it does mean I get steaks and stuff. Every cloud...

Just back from my run. No shattered knee caps or broken arms 🏃‍♂️

Lycra wearers though, I agree, fair game!

Francis Albert
1 hour ago, hughesie27 said:

Doesn't the graph above show vaccinations per million of population? Or am I misreading it?

33 minutes ago, jonesy said:

That'll change if she finds your mask.

5 hours ago, redjambo said:

Today's per-capita 7-day case rates around the councils. Note that this is now based on the date that the positive tests were reported, not the date when the samples were taken. This will allow the data to be more timely, showing spikes and drops sooner. I've recalculated yesterday's figures on this basis. I've also not included the immediate historic data as it would be like comparing lemons and limes. After a few days, the table will start looking normal again. The peak value for Scotland last week was 298, so touch wood we're heading back down. As has been the case in the past, however, the rises are steep and the resultant declines shallow.

7-day per-100,000 cases        
Council Area Tier Previous Today Yesterday       ... 20 Dec
Scotland     264 275 -11     ... 98
Inverclyde 4 2 401 428 -27     ... 59
North Lanarkshire 4 3 393 396 -3     ... 119
Renfrewshire 4 3 386 393 -7     ... 116
Glasgow City 4 3 380 383 -3     ... 129
Dumfries & Galloway 4 1 348 376 -28     ... 32
North Ayrshire 4 3 337 324 +13     ... 175
Dundee City 4 3 313 344 -31     ... 113
East Ayrshire 4 3 298 311 -13     ... 153
South Lanarkshire 4 3 281 311 -30     ... 120
Falkirk 4 2 272 289 -17     ... 60
East Dunbartonshire 4 3 269 283 -14     ... 70
Aberdeen City 4 3 266 272 -6     ... 163
Scottish Borders 4 1 261 260 +1     ... 85
South Ayrshire 4 3 251 251 0     ... 98
Perth and Kinross 4 3 245 264 -19     ... 126
West Dunbartonshire 4 3 244 268 -24     ... 120
Clackmannanshire 4 3 229 262 -33     ... 148
East Renfrewshire 4 3 226 228 -2     ... 101
Angus 4 2 222 245 -23     ... 37
Aberdeenshire 4 3 222 245 -23     ... 88
Fife 4 3 208 218 -10     ... 97
Highland 4/3 1 199 214 -15     ... 17
Edinburgh City 4 3 189 206 -17     ... 109
West Lothian 4 3 158 150 +8     ... 83
Stirling 4 3 157 176 -19     ... 70
Midlothian 4 3 156 170 -14     ... 136
Moray 4 1 142 154 -12     ... 13
Shetland Islands 3 1 135 109 +26     ... 0
East Lothian 4 3 113 130 -17     ... 148
Argyll and Bute 4/3 2 87 86 +1     ... 29
Na h-Eileanan Siar 3 1 30 19 +11     ... 22
Orkney Islands 3 1 27 27 0     ... 0

Thanks again for your hard work

Governor Tarkin
8 minutes ago, sadj said:

Anyone in lycra? Some women I can appreciate when they wear lycra 😇

Spot on.

11 minutes ago, jonesy said:

I've never worn Lycra, jonesy. It's just not compatible with this kind of weaponry and public decency. Linford eat your heart out.

59 minutes ago, Lord Inglis said:

That would be really good mate  , thanks

And then when you start to build up a picture a measure that shows % and volume vaccinated by "tier" and by local health authority would be superb LOL

PeppaBlueMoon.png

;)

This was posted by one of our local clinics in aberdeenshire today. Good to see attempts being made at getting things moving 

** COVID VACCINE CLINIC UPDATE - OVER 80yr**

Our first Covid Vaccine Clinics will be held on THURSDAY 14th and FRIDAY 15th JANUARY at STONEHAVEN TOWN HALL.

This is ONLY for our Stonehaven Medical Practice patients aged 80 or over who are physically able to attend the clinic (housebound patients will be done separately). This will include anyone who is born on or before 31st March 1941. 

The vaccine will be given by our clinical team from the practice - so friendly faces you know although they will be hiding behind their PPE.

Things to remember:
1. Do not come for your appointment if you have any COVID symptoms on the day
2. Remember to wear a mask
3. Arrive close to your appointment time to avoid queuing 
4. There will be a one way system so please enter via the front door of the Town Hall, alone if you are physically able to do so safely
5. You will require to wait for 15 minutes following your vaccine.

WE ARE UNABLE TO OFFER COVID VACCINATIONS TO ANY OTHER PATIENTS AT THIS TIME.

Information about the COVID vaccine is being sent to all households in Scotland - this information is also available on the vaccine page of NHS inform or call the national helpline 0800 030 8013 which is open from 8am to 8pm, seven days a week.

http://www.nhsinform.scot/covid19vaccine

Special thanks to everyone who has made this clinic possible at such short notice and to  Aberdeenshire Council for allowing us access to Stonehaven Town Hall to deliver this essential vaccine programme for our community in the community.

Please share this information widely, especially to family & friends not online 🙏

17 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Spot on.

I've never worn Lycra, jonesy. It's just not compatible with this kind of weaponry and public decency. Linford eat your heart out.

🤣 I have the same problem its a curse but if it wasnt us it’d be some other poor soul so I guess we are providing a service to stop these poor people from suffering

5 minutes ago, jonesy said:

As I said I can appreciate some women in lycra 😍

3 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

No it's not that simple, because many people, thousands, probably tens of thousands don't have internet access or smartphones nor any living family or indeed friends anywhere near them. 

You seem to think everybody can just get home deliveries or get someone else to do their shopping, that is simply not an option for many many people, especially older folks.

Ok but this is a minority of people now 

2 hours ago, coconut doug said:

"Honest John" Swinney or the card carrying commie Freeman?? For boosterism, it has to be Boris. Hands, Face ,Space was top drawer!

Doctor FinnBarr

Please please don't judge me for what I'm about to say, nor call me callous.

Why are we treating carehome residents with the vaccine first? If its to protect staff then I fully understand, if its to protect residents then I think by and large its a waste of time if my dads carehome is anything to go by. Most residents including him have dementia (he can rhyme off a Motherwell team from the 30s but doesn't know what day it is). If he died tomorrow it would most likely be a godsend, he has no quality of life now and thats not down to the staff where he lives, we can't visit etc etc.

Mrs Saunders and myself are both key workers and have both worked through this shitstorm so should we not we getting the vaccine along with NHS staff? Been seen fit to supply shops but not to jump the queue!

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic