Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

6 minutes ago, sadj said:

This is where the half assed attitude from the governments come in. Make it law and enforce it. A lot of supermarkets have security in place others could employ them helping another industry devastated by covid. Then enforce it. Its surely not hard to issue exemptions. We have had what six months since it was required.

I have asthma and i have lung problems from pneumonia and pleurisy , if i wear a mask for an extended period i start to struggle to breathe but for my safety and others I wear my mask when in places its required. 

human nature is such that many people will just push back against authority or try to act the big man by not following the rules/advice given. Again that all comes back to enforcing regulations/laws/rules etc etc , the biggest **** up of all over the last year is no consequences for doing as you please as opposed to what is required. 

It doesn't help that when issued with a fine some folks appeal and the court overturns the fine, no punishment and they are free to break the rules knowing that feck all is going to happen.

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

32 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Do they not need to get the second jab to get that immunity so may be a further lag since the vaccination periods got spread out.

I think 70% or so comes from first Oxford jab iirc, then another 5 or 6% from the 2nd. 

Just now, coconut doug said:

Very soon. I cant remember if a precise date was given but a thousand locations were identified. The priority has been care homes (80% complete) which take more time because of frailty and because Pfizer vaccine needs more care. Some of Pfizer vaccine not used as it was kept back for booster now available because of guarantee of future supply. Increased supplies of Astrazenica now available so jab rate can now be increased. 

So no mass vaccination hubs then ? Regardless, not moving quickly enough. Need to go very fast to make sure ahead of any South African strain issues. I'll reserve judgement for now, but my sense is the "plan" isn't robust and regardless of political allegiance we should all be demanding 100% focus from those in charge to get this right. No excuses this time. 

1 hour ago, jonesy said:

Surely supermarkets must be considered to be one?

And, purely out of spite, I'd sniper all joggers and their heavy breathing antics. :) 

Surely banning smoking & vaping outside would be a better option than banning exercise 😁

1 hour ago, cheetah said:

It's a nice soundbite and fits in well with your anti-Israeli agenda. But its a complete fabrication of the truth. Israel are not responsible for giving the vaccine to Palestinians, that's the job of the autonomous Palestinian authority, who have said they will start vaccinations in February.

Any Palestinian who lives in Israel proper is being offered a vaccination. I know this as i have Israeli -Arab friends who have been vaccinated in Jerusalem last week by Israeli medical staff.

I praised Israel and had a go in the one post. You can take your Israel /Palestinian pish and shove it up yer arse, I don't need that Bollox. So keep yer trigger of rage to yourself. 

Feck Israel and feck Palestine. 

2 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Au contraire - I'd make smoking 60 a day compulsory for all joggers. Kill them off faster.

😂 we’re trying to get the hospital admissions down. 

23 minutes ago, Lord Inglis said:

So no mass vaccination hubs then ? Regardless, not moving quickly enough. Need to go very fast to make sure ahead of any South African strain issues. I'll reserve judgement for now, but my sense is the "plan" isn't robust and regardless of political allegiance we should all be demanding 100% focus from those in charge to get this right. No excuses this time. 

No, according to the briefing, the planning has been done and some are "ready to roll". We will not have so many mass centres because we have a "different geography".

South African variant is now in every area of the UK. Some reports saying the vaccines are not effective agaist the variant, others say different.

1 minute ago, coconut doug said:

No, according to the briefing, the planning has been done and some are "ready to roll". We will not have so many mass centres because we have a "different geography".

South African variant is now in every area of the UK. Some reports saying the vaccines are not effective agaist the variant, others say different.

Appreciate we wont have so many as say England. 

But back to my original question, if they are "ready to roll" where are they and when will they be open ?

3 minutes ago, Lord Inglis said:

But back to my original question, if they are "ready to roll" where are they and when will they be open ?

I've generally found when someone says something is "ready to roll" it's usually accompanied by a load of dependencies and caveats which actually make it "not ready to roll"

1 minute ago, Taffin said:

I've generally found when someone says something is "ready to roll" it's usually accompanied by a load of dependencies and caveats which actually make it "not ready to roll"

I trust Coconut Doug having watched the briefing will be able to clarify for us shortly.

8 minutes ago, Lord Inglis said:

I don't know. Tune in to the next briefng and you might find out.

2 minutes ago, coconut doug said:

I don't know. Tune in to the next briefng and you might find out.

Would you accept CD that's the kind of thing we should all know by now ? And if we dont know this by now, would you accept that doesn't inspire confidence in the vaccine plan ?

(Ps, no chance I'll be watching)

1 hour ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

My mum just told me the Dr has just phoned her - appointments for her and my Dad together on Friday - they are 89 and 83

I spoke to my Dad  not that long ago and he is now booked in at the local town hall (same as flu jag process this year)

But caveated that this outside of central belt.

It is moving and hopefully the snowball affect has started.

3 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Asda & Tesco have joined Morrisons & Sainsbury's in saying that they will enforce the wearing of face masks for everyone unless they are exempt.

Just how they are going to police it and enforce it I'm not all that sure, because if someone say's that they are exempt, are they going to ask for proof?   And if so that opens up a whole new can of worms, in terms of privacy and data protection, I'd had thought.

If they are not well enough to wear a mask they should either do home delivery or ask someone else to shop for them. Simple 

1 minute ago, Brian Dundas said:

I’m confident that Scotland and rUK will all be vaccinated as the program has outlined. They have been using the Luisa Jordan as a hub for vaccinations, this will all ramp up as the supply lines are confirmed. 

Obviously everyone is entitled to their opinion but it’s a bit of a cheek to moan about the lack of information then not watch the briefings where they give out the information. At least look it up later on the internet. 

Brian, apologies for having a job (and home schooling) that I missed the briefing (I'm being sarcastic, I dont care about it)

The fact remains, only 12k vaccines delivered yesterday (prove I'm wrong) and zero information it seems at today's briefing on mass vaccination hubs (prove I'm wrong).

Not good enough in my book. I dont see the speed / urgency needed. 

44 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

:wub:

Girls Aloud - Page 2 - The Shed - Jambos Kickback

Aye you just know theres fun to be had there....Her spitting image character is just perfect of how you would perceive her i think.

Actually think shes coming over quite well tonight. Although bit of deflection about workplaces and bosses etc after the question from the sky news lad. 

Public question: "Why are the rules not as tough as in march?"
"People need to follow the rules"

BBC Question: "Why are the rules not as tough as in March?"
"People need to follow the rules. The rules are clear"

"Do they need to be made clearer? Do they need to be enforced better?"
"People need to follow the rules. The rule are clear."

:bolt: ya feckin boot

Struggling a bit now , backtracking and all over the place about following rules , staying local and outstanding policing while saying it was ok for the PM not to stay local

27 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

If they are not well enough to wear a mask they should either do home delivery or ask someone else to shop for them. Simple 

No it's not that simple, because many people, thousands, probably tens of thousands don't have internet access or smartphones nor any living family or indeed friends anywhere near them. 

You seem to think everybody can just get home deliveries or get someone else to do their shopping, that is simply not an option for many many people, especially older folks.

2 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

No it's not that simple, because many people, thousands, probably tens of thousands don't have internet access or smartphones nor any living family or indeed friends anywhere near them. 

You seem to think everybody can just get home deliveries or get someone else to do their shopping, that is simply not an option for many many people, especially older folks.

There was a clamour from people to help their communities during the first lockdown that isnt there this time. 

Edited by sadj

24 minutes ago, Lord Inglis said:

Brian, apologies for having a job (and home schooling) that I missed the briefing (I'm being sarcastic, I dont care about it)

The fact remains, only 12k vaccines delivered yesterday (prove I'm wrong) and zero information it seems at today's briefing on mass vaccination hubs (prove I'm wrong).

Not good enough in my book. I dont see the speed / urgency needed. 

Agreed.  They made a very good start before the general population over 80s,  etc.  But it looks like they've stalled quite badly.  I suspect there hasn't been enough co-operation between the SG,  the health service and the GPs ahead of the GPs getting their supplies.  A bit of a flat-footed start.

Nucky Thompson
12 minutes ago, sadj said:

Struggling a bit now , backtracking and all over the place about following rules , staying local and outstanding policing while saying it was ok for the PM not to stay local

It's been the same questions for two days

How far is local?

Would you say 7 miles is local?

How far is local?

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

7 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Agreed.  They made a very good start before the general population over 80s,  etc.  But it looks like they've stalled quite badly.  I suspect there hasn't been enough co-operation between the SG,  the health service and the GPs ahead of the GPs getting their supplies.  A bit of a flat-footed start.

Think your right

Just a gut feel but if the plan is reliant on GPs it will be sub optimal.

GPs demand is low volume but high variety with limited resourcing . Mass vaccine sites will be high volume / low variety - which is what is needed to be successful quickly here

Time will tell

43 minutes ago, Lord Inglis said:

Would you accept CD that's the kind of thing we should all know by now ? And if we dont know this by now, would you accept that doesn't inspire confidence in the vaccine plan ?

(Ps, no chance I'll be watching)

Quite the contrary. By not launching mass vaccination hubs it shows that we in Scotland are targeting the most vulnerable. We have different priorities to England.  By holding back the second Pfizer dose because we were told originally that a second dose within a certain time was required for efficient coverage also shows that public health is the priority here.

Obviously we cannot go around boasting that we have the highest vaccination rates in Europe but we can probably say that we are getting a better level of suppression assuming that the vaccinations work. Maybe a less discrimanatory vaccination regime would bring other benefits but the gov can only go on the advice it gets.

We do not as yet need mass vacination hubs because we are not yet doing mass vaccinations. If the hubs are not ready when we are, then that would be a different matter.

1 hour ago, coconut doug said:

I'm sure other "variants" will appear,  introduced at the govts convenience.  If the immune system doesn't zap it, the vaccine will sort it out. Just ignore the loose SAGE talk.

On that subject though, apparently there's a Brazilian variant too, which will suit a lot of hirsute women who can't get to the beauty salons due to lockdown.

Just now, coconut doug said:

Quite the contrary. By not launching mass vaccination hubs it shows that we in Scotland are targeting the most vulnerable. We have different priorities to England.  By holding back the second Pfizer dose because we were told originally that a second dose within a certain time was required for efficient coverage also shows that public health is the priority here.

Obviously we cannot go around boasting that we have the highest vaccination rates in Europe but we can probably say that we are getting a better level of suppression assuming that the vaccinations work. Maybe a less discrimanatory vaccination regime would bring other benefits but the gov can only go on the advice it gets.

We do not as yet need mass vacination hubs because we are not yet doing mass vaccinations. If the hubs are not ready when we are, then that would be a different matter.

You're right , we do appear to have different priorities to England, namely dragging lockdown and podium briefings out until the elections in May.

1 minute ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

I'm sure other "variants" will appear,  introduced at the govts convenience.  If the immune system doesn't zap it, the vaccine will sort it out. Just ignore the loose SAGE talk.

On that subject though, apparently there's a Brazilian variant too, which will suit a lot of hirsute women who can't get to the beauty salons due to lockdown.

I hear the Brazilian one is totally incompatible with the Chinese form.

2 minutes ago, coconut doug said:

It's not an either / or situation . We should be going into care homes and mass vaccinating at the same time. We only seem to be doing the latter . I want to hear moaning old guys complaining they sat in their car I  a queue for 2 hours to get a jab, now. 

Will be interesting to see where numbers are next week, but 12k a day is a drop in the ocean. c.400k - 500k doses in Scotland to give out apparently. Time to get a shift on. 

1 minute ago, Lord Inglis said:

Think your right

GPs demand is low volume but high variety with limited resourcing . Mass vaccine sites will be high volume / low variety - which is what is needed to be successful quickly here

Time will tell

The flu vaccine was distributed mostly by the health boards. They've reverted to GP's for the Covid vaccine. That might indicate how well they thought the boards did with the flu vaccine. ;) Certainly, in my case, my name was lost somewhere in the red tape and I had to call up the local NHS board about my flu jab when no letter had arrived, only to be told that my name wasn't on the list, despite my GP surgery assuring me earlier that it was. They then gave me an appointment for the next day, to which I turned up only to find out my name wasn't on their list for a jab that day, despite the appointment having been made. They must have been used to it however because the guy just wrote my details on to the bottom of their list and I got the jab anyway. I could have been anybody walking off the street and getting a jab. Such clinical efficiency. :)

3 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

You're right , we do appear to have different priorities to England, namely dragging lockdown and podium briefings out until the elections in May.

You missed Patel today and the Hancock yesterday then? They had police, doctors,scientists,the Press and the public. Absolutely the best podium briefings in the world. The FM could learn a thing from them especially about how not to answer a question.

4 minutes ago, Lord Inglis said:

It's not an either / or situation . We should be going into care homes and mass vaccinating at the same time. We only seem to be doing the latter . I want to hear moaning old guys complaining they sat in their car I  a queue for 2 hours to get a jab, now. 

Will be interesting to see where numbers are next week, but 12k a day is a drop in the ocean. c.400k - 500k doses in Scotland to give out apparently. Time to get a shift on. 

It is an either/or situation if you don't have the vaccinations. That's the government position anyway. We'll see pretty soon i should think.

5 minutes ago, redjambo said:

The flu vaccine was distributed mostly by the health boards. They've reverted to GP's for the Covid vaccine. That might indicate how well they thought the boards did with the flu vaccine. ;) Certainly, in my case, my name was lost somewhere in the red tape and I had to call up the local NHS board about my flu jab when no letter had arrived, only to be told that my name wasn't on the list, despite my GP surgery assuring me earlier that it was. They then gave me an appointment for the next day, to which I turned up only to find out my name wasn't on their list for a jab that day, despite the appointment having been made. They must have been used to it however because the guy just wrote my details on to the bottom of their list and I got the jab anyway. I could have been anybody walking off the street and getting a jab. Such clinical efficiency. :)

Sounds like you did well to get a jab . 

Like your stats each day btw. Decent . If you can add vaccines delivered each day as a total as well that would be amazing !! 

Greater suppression by vaccinating less people. Unless it's targeted at those most likely to contract it (which it isn't) I don't see how that works 🤷🏻‍♂️

The Real Maroonblood
29 minutes ago, sadj said:

There was a clamour from people to help their communities during the first lockdown that isnt there this time. 

Yes it is in my area.

A few who work in supermarkets have offered help to get there shopping.

30 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

It's been the same questions for two days

How far is local?

How far is local?

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Didn’t see it yesterday only put it on for Pritttttti

19 minutes ago, jonesy said:

They've worn folk down with their lies and misery. Straight from the 'how not to inspire public confidence and motivate people to do what you want' playbook.

As I've said before, anyone now following the rules to the letter is happy to delegate their common sense to a pair of governments that have proven, time and time again for almost 12 months, to be incompetent.

I think almost all of us will be following them but with an aspect of common sense. Its only the ones who exercise no common sense that are wrong imo

1 minute ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Yes it is in my area.

A few who work in supermarkets have offered help to get there shopping.

Good to know its almost stopped completely here on a larger scale myself and my neighbour do shopping for a few other neighbours who are shielding. In saying that two of the most elderly residents here are just back to how they were a year ago and now dont want any help. 

12 minutes ago, Lord Inglis said:

Think your right

Time will tell

I'm a bit suspicious of giving GPs too much of a free hand and without support in the way of personnel and money.  They can't simply leave GPs to decide upon their method and timetable of contact and appointments.  Certainly not without providing enough support.  There is no way on earth that the contact should be limited to letters as the Royal Mail are taking quite a time to make deliveries.  It would be highly effective to fund small teams of telephone contact staff to phone around and fill up the appointment spaces.  I know there's an issue re scamming and trust but every appointment could be verified by email or by enabling relatives to verify by phone,  etc.   At the very least GPs should be providing up to date status updates on their websites (if they have them) instead of stonewalling statements about knowing nothing yet and not to call.

If any GP still doesn't have any information about timescales or supplies then they probably should be seeking it.  To be proactive.

6 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Greater suppression by vaccinating less people. Unless it's targeted at those most likely to contract it (which it isn't) I don't see how that works 🤷🏻‍♂️

What's the point in vaccinating huge numbers of the population who are likely to get little or no symptoms before vaccinating those who do?

35 minutes ago, sadj said:

Yip, even the army was drafted in to deliver medicines & food parcels to people who were shielding and couldn't order food online or get someone else to do their shopping.

5 minutes ago, coconut doug said:

What's the point in vaccinating huge numbers of the population who are likely to get little or no symptoms before vaccinating those who do?

No idea. 

However, more people vaccinated equals better suppression unless you focus the vaccination on those most likely to catch and spread the virus, which Scotland isn't doing. Asymptomatic or or otherwise doesn't really come into it. 

4 hours ago, jonesy said:

Re your last paragraph, Taff - the only likely change is that folk get even more entrenched in their views. I was driving home after dropping my kids off this lunchtime and heard some NHS wifey on Radio Scotland (I don't know how to change the station in my second car, otherwise I wouldn't be listening to their pish, but hey ho). She was asked if they know where the virus is spreading and she trotted out the line that they'd managed to stop the worst by closing hospitality and other places where people socialise. Now, we all know that that's just not true, or at least unproven, and yet her words - as a health board leader or somesuch - were taken as true without discussion.

As soon as I heard that it just made me feel more than ever that they do not have a clue what they are doing. It pushes me further to distrust those in authority. So by constantly spewing this line of how terrible everything is, and how terrible we are for spreading it, all they are doing is nudging me away from compliance.

On the flip side, I'm sure there would have been people nodding along with her as they listened, tutting at the super spreaders who dare get a takeaway or click and collect purchases.

I don't actually know what the ICU broadcasts are like as I don't even have a TV, but they might want to consider the notion that, if heart-wrenching appeals like those worked, why the majority of the population don't empty their bank accounts and donate to charity when there are malnourished kids shown in the Oxfam appeals during the ad breaks between whatever vacuous shite folk watch. The TV screen generates emotions, but ultimately it is a device of passivity and entertainment. 

Yeah many people arent as fool as the first time . Simple as that. 

Nothing will change. They need to be seen to be doing something in order to maintain good publicity in case the governments turn their eye towards one of the real transmission hotspots. Given most folk in supermarkets are wearing a mask, it might also start debunking that particular means of protection, too.

Yep

My wife works for one of the big supermarket chains and has worn a mask on the shop floor since the get go. My jokes about her being ugly and continuing to wear one at home went down like a lead balloon.

Nothing wrong with a mask in the bedroom so ive heard.....

Surely supermarkets must be considered to be one?

And, purely out of spite, I'd sniper all joggers and their heavy breathing antics. :) 

Yes noticed the dreaded joggers are back again. Usual crap from them. Running right in your path way and some dont even consider moving aside, which surely is the polite thing to do as well as the healthy thing due to Covid. Nippy c****

4 hours ago, cheetah said:

It's a nice soundbite and fits in well with your anti-Israeli agenda. But its a complete fabrication of the truth. Israel are not responsible for giving the vaccine to Palestinians, that's the job of the autonomous Palestinian authority, who have said they will start vaccinations in February.

Any Palestinian who lives in Israel proper is being offered a vaccination. I know this as i have Israeli -Arab friends who have been vaccinated in Jerusalem last week by Israeli medical staff.

Well at least you havent called me out as anti semetic. Thats a change as I tend to get called that when I criticize Israel extermination policy. 

38 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Very good points.  Some people just view this pandemic from their perspective without looking at the impacts on others

21 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Reminds me of when i asked my white south African mate whether she knew any black people ( this was anti apartheid days) Her reply was " Ofcourse darling my servant was black" 

32 minutes ago, coconut doug said:

For clarity I'm referring to this, on bold. It may result in better outcomes in terms of hospitalisation and deaths etc but I don't understand how that approach can have better suppression of the virus. 

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic