Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

Malinga the Swinga

Given up watching news, special broadcasts by PM, FM, or government advisors, and won't watch any of Covid investigations or reality shows. 

Have no interest in what NHS administrators or workers are saying, have lost respect for teachers and educational staff who having got used to having about 10 weeks off a year, now can't be bothered to do that anymore and just want more time off (fully paid obviously). 

The whole thing just depresses me and for my own health and sanity, as well as families, its no more covid chat from me. Will stick to supporting Hearts, raging against Hibs, Celtic and SPFL from now on. 

Merry Christmas all. 

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dusk_Till_Dawn
13 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

I remember reading some guff in the early days (it must have been in The Guardian) which suggested Nicola's and the New Zealand PM's success in combatting the virus showed that women were more suited to that sort of task. 

A bit before such a suggestion became "transphobic".

It will have been the Guardian. They’re Sturgeon fanboys, without paying any attention to her actual governance.

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Given up watching news, special broadcasts by PM, FM, or government advisors, and won't watch any of Covid investigations or reality shows. 

Have no interest in what NHS administrators or workers are saying, have lost respect for teachers and educational staff who having got used to having about 10 weeks off a year, now can't be bothered to do that anymore and just want more time off (fully paid obviously). 

The whole thing just depresses me and for my own health and sanity, as well as families, its no more covid chat from me. Will stick to supporting Hearts, raging against Hibs, Celtic and SPFL from now on. 

Merry Christmas all. 

I totally understand your sentiments.

Francis Albert
1 minute ago, Brighton Jambo said:

As others have said the media have a huge amount to answer for in exacerbating fear in the population.

For example the headline right now on Sky news is that Hospital levels are back to what they were in April.  But they deliberately don’t give any context.  April is not a traditionally busy month for the NHS but December is usually one of the worst so really not comparing like with like.  The just want the dramatic headline though.  

I think when all this is over they will get a real backlash.  

Main front page  headlines today. 

Mirror - MUTANT VIRUS IS  ALREADY SPREADING ACROSS UK Schools could shut and tighter curbs needed, experts warn.

Guardian - IMPOSE NATIONAL LOCKDOWN OR RISK "HUMAN DISASTER" scientists tell PM.

Not the scary word mutant (however technically correct it may be) and term human disaster. And the usual "experts warn" and "scientists tell" as if scientists and experts were united. I have read in the last day widely varying reaction to the new virus even among scientist on government advisory groups including a demand for more evidence and justification for the new measures and others recognising that new strain is already present throughout much of the UK and indeed Europe and arguing the new measures and travel bans won't stop its continuing spread.

I am not saying who is right but to report in such a way as these two papers is scaremongering. 

Brighton Jambo
32 minutes ago, redjambo said:

When they're talking about hospital levels being back to what they were in April they're talking about folk in hospital with Covid. No context required.

321415362_Screenshotat2020-12-2216-35-38.png.f5e904078345c7793d2c712f2f956425.png

Of course context is required.  Hospitals are always full at this time of year with illness like Covid (I.e flu etc) so you would expect numbers now to be way above April not at same level or slightly lower as per your graph.  

manaliveits105
1 hour ago, Governor Tarkin said:

She doesn't live there.

It's in the wrong city.

Edit. I share the sentiment, however.

and another toley wont make any difference there 

1 minute ago, Brighton Jambo said:

Of course context is required.  Hospitals are always full at this time of year with illness like Covid (I.e flu etc) so you would expect numbers now to be way above April not at same level or slightly lower as per your graph.  

The graph only shows Covid patients, not non-Covid patients. The levels are now almost up to what they were in April. And you don't find that concerning in any way, especially given that the hospitals need more capacity at this time of year? And in addition you consider the media reporting that fact to be "exacerbating fear"?

Governor Tarkin
40 minutes ago, redjambo said:

When they're talking about hospital levels being back to what they were in April they're talking about folk in hospital with Covid. No context required.

321415362_Screenshotat2020-12-2216-35-38.png.f5e904078345c7793d2c712f2f956425.png

Context obviously was required, otherwise you wouldn't have felt compelled to privide us with some.

manaliveits105
32 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Merry Christmas all. 

That Scottish EIS union guy has been trying to get schools closed since March - he seems to think that is his role in life

Just now, Governor Tarkin said:

Context obviously was required, otherwise you wouldn't have felt compelled to privide us with some.

Touché, Governor. :D

In the Sky news report though, they provided information that required no context. The number of folk with Covid in hospital in the UK is once again at the levels it was back in April. A nice, clear and simple fact that doesn't require the context that BJ (our friendly colleague, not the arse in WM) said that it did. In fact, if you were to provide any context, it would be that this is a more worrying time of the year to have that many Covid patients in hospital given the number of folk who are in hospital in the winter season with other illnesses. So, you could argue that Sky was fairly responsible in not worrying folk by providing that additional and concerning context.

Anyway, ho hum. *Do not get drawn in, Red* I quietly whisper to myself... :)

Brighton Jambo
12 minutes ago, redjambo said:

The graph only shows Covid patients, not non-Covid patients. The levels are now almost up to what they were in April. And you don't find that concerning in any way, especially given that the hospitals need more capacity at this time of year? And in addition you consider the media reporting that fact to be "exacerbating fear"?

I can see your point but it could equally have said (I am using this for effect not being serious):  

Hospital numbers the same as April which is is to be totally expected as winter is traditionally a time of year where you expect respiratory viruses to be circulating and April isn’t.  

Anyway I suspect this is a topic we can cordially agree to disagree on!! 

Governor Tarkin
6 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Touché, Governor. :D

Anyway, ho hum. *Do not get drawn in, Red* I quietly whisper to myself... :)

Always glad to help out, red. 👍

And that's solid advice you're giving yourself there. :D

8 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

I can see your point but it could equally have said (I am using this for effect not being serious):  

Hospital numbers the same as April which is is to be totally expected as winter is traditionally a time of year where you expect respiratory viruses to be circulating and April isn’t.  

Anyway I suspect this is a topic we can cordially agree to disagree on!! 

Sold! :)

1 hour ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Merry Christmas all. 

This

58 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

What are you not getting?

These are covid diagnosed cases on top of other cases.

Heard an interesting conspiracy theory (second hand) today. Apparently they were always going to relax restrictions inthe summer because that’s when riots happen. People never riot when the weather is shit. I immediately dismissed it as shite but when you think about it people never riot in the winter. 

1 hour ago, Brighton Jambo said:

As others have said the media have a huge amount to answer for in exacerbating fear in the population.

For example the headline right now on Sky news is that Hospital levels are back to what they were in April.  But they deliberately don’t give any context.  April is not a traditionally busy month for the NHS but December is usually one of the worst so really not comparing like with like.  The just want the dramatic headline though.  

I think when all this is over they will get a real backlash.  

Great point . It also doesnt  help anyone's anxiety who may be waiting on treatments / ops on the NHS when   Sturgeon flippantly states  that these may be cancelled. It is abusive and is impacting on peoples mental well being. 

The Real Maroonblood
4 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Heard an interesting conspiracy theory (second hand) today. Apparently they were always going to relax restrictions inthe summer because that’s when riots happen. People never riot when the weather is shit. I immediately dismissed it as shite but when you think about it people never riot in the winter. 

When the sun comes out the scum come out.

Beaches and Parks come to mind.

10 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

When the sun comes out the scum come out.

Beaches and Parks come to mind.

True enough. I’ll tell you what else, if new strains of the virus stop restrictions being lifted by summer 2021 there will be riots galore I’d think. 

Edited by GinRummy

1 hour ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Merry Christmas all. 

Merry Xmas and for what its worth ill miss your postings. But im nearly the same too. Fed up with the lot of it. Its groundhog day every fecking day.. Never ending. 

1 hour ago, jonesy said:

Ardern has a face like a horse. Sturgeon has a face like a horse's arse.

Maybe they could get their next gig in a pantomime then ? :) 

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, GinRummy said:

True enough. I’ll tell you what else, if new strains of the virus stop restrictions being lifted by 2021 there will be riots galore I’d think. 

What a thought. 

1 hour ago, weehammy said:

Heard the Chinese government are helping the SNP to draft the legislation.

lol 

1 hour ago, jonesy said:

Wouldn't hold yer breath. Bread (supermarkets) and circuses (phones, 'flix and football) will keep most folk happy. 

Sadly this is very true. What a sad state of affairs. 

Governor Tarkin
13 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Not true. Some of the best dust-ups we've had with Celtic have been over the winter months.

4 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

Garden centres and a variety other termed essential shops previously to become non essential shops. 

Tier 4 to be ramped up. We’re basically been told to lock yourself up in your house right now. 

Does the stupid woman not realise that with hospitals, care homes, public transport, schools, unis etc operating as normal that it makes not a blind bit of difference whether you "tighten" level 4 restrictions.  What a hysterical reaction to a mutation that may well prove to result in a weaker virus. The way she's talking you would think we were at threat from the bubonic plague. It's clear from her behaviour over the last few days that she is absolutely in her element now. Crocodile tears apart, her megalomania is now the dominant strain. Any attempt to move to full scale lockdown must be met by widespread population resistance.  

Just now, Governor Tarkin said:

Not true. Some of the best dust-ups we've had with Celtic have been over the winter months.

😀 Footballs different. You’re out in the cold already. 

Nucky Thompson
7 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Does the stupid woman not realise that with hospitals, care homes, public transport, schools, unis etc operating as normal that it makes not a blind bit of difference whether you "tighten" level 4 restrictions.  What a hysterical reaction to a mutation that may well prove to result in a weaker virus. The way she's talking you would think we were at threat from the bubonic plague. It's clear from her behaviour over the last few days that she is absolutely in her element now. Crocodile tears apart, her megalomania is now the dominant strain. Any attempt to move to full scale lockdown must be met by widespread population resistance.  

People will dismiss it out of hand when you say that she's loving the power and attention, but tweeting today and telling people to tune in to her broadcast, tells a different story

Francis Albert
32 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

The storming of the Winter Palace, one of the most successful protests in history, took place with lots of snow on  the ground

Just now, Francis Albert said:

The storming of the Winter Palace, one of the most successful protests in history, took place with lots of snow on  the ground

That’ll be that theory blown then 😂

1 minute ago, Nucky Thompson said:

People will dismiss it out of hand when you say that she's loving the power and attention, but tweeting today and telling people to tune in to her broadcast, tells a different story

That's spot on NT. The power is absolutely going go her head. Talking about tightening restrictions ,that haven't actually come in to effect yet , in reaction to a strain that MAY spread quicker, MAY be weaker and MAY just be a storm in a teacup, is insane.  It's time she concentrated on the places where it IS spreading and start being honest with people. 

Seymour M Hersh
5 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

It's when she starts to threaten you with punishment for not listening we'll need to be concerned. That day may not be too far off either. 

39 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

I have to disagree Comrade.  The great Russian Revolution took place mainly in winter months.  Russia certainly knew how to a revolution....now if only Scotland could emulate it...

ussr-flag-std.jpg

Just now, JamesM48 said:

I have to disagree Comrade.  The great Russian Revolution took place mainly in winter months.  Russia certainly knew how to a revolution....now if only Scotland could emulate it...

ussr-flag-std.jpg

😂yeah Frank beat you to it (above) for some reason I was only thinking about riots here or in the U.S.

Nucky Thompson
3 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

That's spot on NT. The power is absolutely going go her head. Talking about tightening restrictions ,that haven't actually come in to effect yet , in reaction to a strain that MAY spread quicker, MAY be weaker and MAY just be a storm in a teacup, is insane.  It's time she concentrated on the places where it IS spreading and start being honest with people. 

True. They haven't got enough information on this new variant yet, but she'll shut us down and lock us up 'just in case'

45 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Come to The Netherlands, there has been a bit of trouble the last few weekends due to Corona/ Swarte Piet/ Fireworks.

A lot of police leave has been cancelled this New Years eve due to the fireworks ban this year, they expect trouble.

11 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

just as an aside " Dr Zhivago" was on telly today. Beautiful romantic film really. Incredibly most of it filmed in Spain...

3 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

😂yeah Frank beat you to it (above) for some reason I was only thinking about riots here or in the U.S.

Yeah i seen. History was one of the only subjects I really liked at school and i was fascinated by the Russian Revolution. What a time to be alive. 

5 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

ussr-flag-std.jpg

All our lefties swapped the red flag for the saltire and took up nationalism. So highly unlikely :wave1:

1 minute ago, pablo said:

All our lefties swapped the red flag for the saltire and took up nationalism. So highly unlikely :wave1:

Thats very true . 

6 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

just as an aside " Dr Zhivago" was on telly today. Beautiful romantic film really. Incredibly most of it filmed in Spain...

Yeah i seen. History was one of the only subjects I really liked at school and i was fascinated by the Russian Revolution. What a time to be alive. 

Seen dr Zhivago a few months ago. Marvellous. 

10 minutes ago, Gulpener said:

Come to The Netherlands, there has been a bit of trouble the last few weekends due to Corona/ Swarte Piet/ Fireworks.

A lot of police leave has been cancelled this New Years eve due to the fireworks ban this year, they expect trouble.

My wrong theory on riots aside, that’s not good to hear. Hope you stay safe. 

5 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Seen dr Zhivago a few months ago. Marvellous. 

You were lucky . Was it a face to face consultation or by phone :) 

Just heard another mates Dad has died of Covid, he was in hospital for a pancreas problem and got infected.

The two mates of mine who have lost thier Dads to it now.

Just now, Dawnrazor said:

Just heard another mates Dad has died of Covid, he was in hospital for a pancreas problem and got infected.

So sorry to hear that, Dawnrazor. :(

Edited by redjambo

4 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

If there numbers are right and this adds 0.4 to the R number, lockdown won’t be enough. 

The first lockdown couldn’t get it below 0.6. 

It is becoming clear that this is a prevavitive  measure as they no **** all about this new strain. 

I could see us be locked up until we’re all jabbed up, at this rate. 

I didn't catch the Sunday political shows but apparently Matt Hancock alluded to this for England's current tier 4s.

Found this on Sky

He suggested the strengthened measures could be in place for months, telling Sky's Sophy Ridge on Sunday: "It (the new strain) is an enormous challenge, until we can get the vaccine rolled out to protect people. This is what we face over the next couple of months."

Edited by DETTY29

3 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Sorry to hear this. 

10 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Horrible news. Must be doubly difficult to take catching it in hospital ☹️

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic