Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

2 minutes ago, coconut doug said:

East Lothian has gone from being by far the best area for Covid in the Lothians to the worst in a very short time. 

This increase has coincided with the reduction from tier 3 to tier 2. The most significant change in this reduction is the opening of pubs. Surely that is a factor in the current increase.

More conclusion shopping from you CD.

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Could Sturgeon not stop flights into Scotland? She seems to have decided Scotland's borders are within her remit.

No international travel into or out of the country is a reserved issue, that’s why they had to make it illegal to travel to the airport in tier 3/4 areas. 

Pasquale for King
4 minutes ago, coconut doug said:

No, but maybe next year.

She had no will to do it anyway, look how long it’s taken to close the border. Or get the Police to take any action against folk that blatantly break the law. 

A1C0C6C4-6CF8-427A-97BD-6A9922D3BCB9.jpeg

Edited by Pasquale for King

1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

She had no will to do it anyway, look how long it’s taken to close the border. 

Apparently she has been itching to do it right from the start.

4 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

No international travel into or out of the country is a reserved issue, that’s why they had to make it illegal to travel to the airport in tier 3/4 areas. 

So she can ban Scots, living in the UK from entering but not international travellers?

Fair enough

Pasquale for King
Just now, coconut doug said:

Apparently she has been itching to do it right from the start.

I’ve watched most of the briefings and that’s not the impression I get, only recently when Leitch mentioned folk bringing it back here she jumped in saying we’ve taken it abroad too. She’s has made everything else she thinks should happen abundantly clear, unless I’ve missed I and you can show me some proof. 

1 minute ago, Taffin said:

So she can ban Scots, living in the UK from entering but not international travellers?

Fair enough

And ban Glaswegians from the capital.

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, Taffin said:

Fair enough

That’s the rules as it stands, like Wales have. 

1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

I’ve watched most of the briefings and that’s not the impression I get, only recently when Leitch mentioned folk bringing it back here she jumped in saying we’ve taken it abroad too. She’s has made everything else she thinks should happen abundantly clear, unless I’ve missed I and you can show me some proof. 

I don't have any proof because that's not what's been happening. That doesn't stop the Sturgeon contras for claiming that it has been her real intention all along though. 

Adhered to the rules, guideline's and law to no avail. Wife and I both tested positive, she's asymptomatic, I had 3 bad days last week, taste and smell totally gone. Daughter and Son raging having to self isolate for the next 10, but they will.

2 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Fair enough

It’s not much of a ban really is it. Bit of a headline grabber more than anything else. If you wanted to travel to Scotland from England you could do it without the slightest hinderance I’d imagine. 

The race to vaccinate the most vulnerable, which will have a huge impact on reducing deaths and relieving pressure on the NHS, just got more pressing.

Around 500,000 people have got their first dose in the past two weeks.

But there are 12 million over 65s. More vaccination centres and approval of the Oxford University vaccine, of which there are already millions of doses in the country ready to go, is essential.

Governor Tarkin
2 minutes ago, OBE said:

Adhered to the rules, guideline's and law to no avail. Wife and I both tested positive, she's asymptomatic, I had 3 bad days last week, taste and smell totally gone. Daughter and Son raging having to self isolate for the next 10, but they will.

That's shite bud. Hope you're feeling better now. Have you any idea where you might've picked it up, and have your Daughter and Son been tested?

Toxteth O'Grady
5 minutes ago, OBE said:

Sorry to hear that. Where do you think you caught it?

5 minutes ago, OBE said:

Sorry to hear that. Hope everyone is ok. 

6 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

That’s the rules as it stands, like Wales have. 

Seems illogical. She surely either has autonomy over border control and who enters, or she doesn't. Same for Wales.

6 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

It’s not much of a ban really is it. Bit of a headline grabber more than anything else. If you wanted to travel to Scotland from England you could do it without the slightest hinderance I’d imagine. 

Supposedly, it's the law 🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️ 

I didn't think that was a devolved matter, but was told on here the other night she does have control on border enforcement.

Just now, frankblack said:

Potentially lots of things, which you don't have the data to analyse.

What changed that effects human interaction on a major scale when you change from tier 3 to tier 2.

You wouldn't be conclusion denying would you Frank?

7 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

The race to vaccinate the most vulnerable, which will have a huge impact on reducing deaths and relieving pressure on the NHS, just got more pressing.

Around 500,000 people have got their first dose in the past two weeks.

But there are 12 million over 65s. More vaccination centres and approval of the Oxford University vaccine, of which there are already millions of doses in the country ready to go, is essential.

500,000 is actually a pretty good start in the early phase before mass scale has even started.  Decent effort.  You're right about the AZ vaccine.

24 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

James, it appears you've had a very positive consultation and it sounds your doctor is very understanding. 

I've had a face to face consultation and it went okay. 

My sister in laws practise is a nightmare to try and get any sort of appointment. Even pre Covid19. 

Thanks Real  Yes my practice is  a relatively good one and the GPs are excellent.  It did go well.    Just " ok ?  for yours ?  I think when i spoke to GP by telephone initially today he probably felt I was in no mood to take no to a face to face. I wasnt difficult or abusive but just requested one as I find it more easy to talk over health issues face to face.  I think most people do and I really feel for those who are not getting that level of service. 

Toxteth O'Grady
3 minutes ago, Taffin said:

I didn't think that was a devolved matter, but was told on here the other night she does have control on border enforcement.

The law is the same law that was brought in about a month ago. No non-essential travel in or out of tier 4 council area 

Not sure about the law side of it. I do know that if I was in England and wanted to come to Scotland I’d be coming and I’d be extremely confident I’d make it unhindered. I get why she wants to stop people travelling but in practice she can only ask. In reality it’s unenforceable. 

5 minutes ago, coconut doug said:

What changed that effects human interaction on a major scale when you change from tier 3 to tier 2.

You wouldn't be conclusion denying would you Frank?

Douglas, you are the one trying to argue that your conclusion is valid with a complete absence of data to support it.

I'm merely challenging you to back it up with evidence.

The Real Maroonblood
3 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Thanks Real  Yes my practice is  a relatively good one and the GPs are excellent.  It did go well.    Just " ok ?  for yours ?  I think when i spoke to GP by telephone initially today he probably felt I was in no mood to take no to a face to face. I wasnt difficult or abusive but just requested one as I find it more easy to talk over health issues face to face.  I think most people do and I really feel for those who are not getting that level of service. 

👍

1 minute ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

The law is the same law that was brought in about a month ago. No non-essential travel in or out of tier 4 council area 

Wonder what procedures are in place at Edinburgh airport to prevent this? If there is no non essential travel then only people returning home or on essential business should be allowed in the country. People visiting relatives should be turned away. 

The Mighty Thor
21 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Potentially lots of things, which you don't have the data to analyse.

We'll find out shortly as pubs will be shut for a good while so by extension of the logic applied we'll be down to no cases in a flash, new mutation not. 

Edited by The Mighty Thor

3 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Wonder what procedures are in place at Edinburgh airport to prevent this? If there is no non essential travel then only people returning home or on essential business should be allowed in the country. People visiting relatives should be turned away. 

I'd guess none. Like you, I'm fairly certain you could make the journey to Scotland with no problem.

I'm just curious how she has the power to curtail border crossing from rUK but not from elsewhere. Seems at odds with itself. I must confess it was completely news to me that she had that power, maybe she'll keep it in place post-covid so feel more independent until it actually happens.

Edited by Taffin

I'd guess none. Like you, I'm fairly certain you could make the journey to Scotland with no problem.

I'm just curious how she has the power to curtail border crossing from rUK but not from elsewhere. Seems at odds with itself. I must confess it was completely news to me that she had that power, maybe she'll keep it in place post-covid so feel more independent until it actually happens.

No one will probably want to visit Scotland post Covid and Brexit anyway so doubt she will have any problem with that. 

Nucky Thompson
35 minutes ago, coconut doug said:

East Lothian has gone from being by far the best area for Covid in the Lothians to the worst in a very short time. 

This increase has coincided with the reduction from tier 3 to tier 2. The most significant change in this reduction is the opening of pubs. Surely that is a factor in the current increase.

The only difference between 3 and 2 was that you were able to get alcohol with your meal in a pub instead of soft drinks and they are open 2 hours later.

No danger that would have made much of a difference 

10 minutes ago, Taffin said:

I think she could stop international arrivals. If someone from abroad was coming into Edinburgh airport and suppose the circumstances were - Uk citizen living in Spain coming to visit brother for Xmas - they could (technically) be admitted to the country as a Uk citizen but then ordered to about turn because they can not enter a level 4 zone for non essential puprposes. Just talking hypothetically of course. 

Edited by GinRummy

Maroon Sailor
1 hour ago, Pasquale for King said:

That’s the Westminster based press like Peston and Rigby are saying, strange thing to say if it’s not true. 

Beth Rigby the flouter who had the temerity to rip Cummings a new one for flouting the rules

Pasquale for King
25 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Seems illogical. She surely either has autonomy over border control and who enters, or she doesn't. Same for Wales.

Ffs she does just not flights from abroad, ask Westminster. 

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Beth Rigby the flouter who had the temerity to rip Cummings a new one for flouting the rules

Yes. Rightly ripped Cummings. 

Maroon Sailor
Just now, Pasquale for King said:

Yes. Rightly ripped Cummings. 

She wrongly wasn't ripped

Her sidekick Burley has been put on gardening leave as she would have kopped it with both barrels.

2 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Ffs she does just not flights from abroad, ask Westminster. 

See my post above. She could probably stop people entering from abroad as well. 

1 minute ago, Maroon Sailor said:

The one and the same hypocrite, who along with Kay Burley are damn lucky to still have a job, quick to take others to task for breaking the rules, but seem to think it's ok for them to break them.

Nucky Thompson
4 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

I think she could stop international arrivals. If someone from abroad was coming into Edinburgh airport and suppose the circumstances were - Uk citizen living in Spain coming to visit brother for Xmas - they could (technically) be admitted to the country as a Uk citizen but then ordered to about turn because they can not enter a level 4 zone for non essential puprposes. Just talking theoretically of course. 

I don't think she would be able to send a UK citizen back. More likely to fine them for entering tier 4. 

I'm sure she doesn't have power over the UK border force, so the police would have to set up outside the airport

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

She wrongly wasn't ripped

Her sidekick Burley has been put on gardening leave as she would have kopped it with both barrels.

She should’ve been. 

Pasquale for King
3 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

See my post above. She could probably stop people entering from abroad as well. 

I don’t need to see anything she can’t end of story. 

1 hour ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Its pubs isn't it?

That's all I've read on here for the last 3 or 4 months.

Must be. Pubs have been closed for about 10 weeks in Edinburgh and cases have been unaffected,   in fact they're increasing.  Johnson and Sturgeon and their chinless scientific bosses completely overreacted to a mutation of the virus in an attempt to scare the population to comply with Christmas rules. It has backfired completely on them as Macron has taken him at his word and closed the border, in order to stop this scary, deadly mutation from "ripping" through Europe. Johnson was backtracking today, claiming the risk of transmission to France was very low. Wanting to both have and eat his cake. Historically, more easily transmissible mutations are less virulent and, when all the scaremongering ceases,  that will likely be confirmed.  

20 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Douglas, you are the one trying to argue that your conclusion is valid with a complete absence of data to support it.

I'm merely challenging you to back it up with evidence.

How would you explain the sudden leap in EL's figures then. 

People travel and spread the virus imo. 

We'll see what happens with the Borders figures in the next week or two. Will be interesting. 🤔

Maroon Sailor
Just now, Pasquale for King said:

She should’ve been. 

And Burley should have resigned or better still, sacked.

I'm not sure she'll go back to SKY anyway as it was her colleagues that snitched on her.

1 minute ago, luckydug said:

How would you explain the sudden leap in EL's figures then. 

People travel and spread the virus imo. 

We'll see what happens with the Borders figures in the next week or two. Will be interesting. 🤔

I don't know - you tell me how I can explain it without having meaningful data released to study?

16 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

No one will probably want to visit Scotland post Covid and Brexit anyway so doubt she will have any problem with that. 

Why would that be ? 

1 minute ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Must be. Pubs have been closed for about 10 weeks in Edinburgh and cases have been unaffected,   in fact they're increasing.  Johnson and Sturgeon and their chinless scientific bosses completely overreacted to a mutation of the virus in an attempt to scare the population to comply with Christmas rules. It has backfired completely on them as Macron has taken him at his word and closed the border, in order to stop this scary, deadly mutation from "ripping" through Europe. Johnson was backtracking today, claiming the risk of transmission to France was very low. Wanting to both have and eat his cake. Historically, more easily transmissible mutations are less virulent and, when all the scaremongering ceases,  that will likely be confirmed.  

Yes Macron has played a blinder by closing the border.  Put Boris right in his place really.  Well get caught out telling porkies  or exaggerating  information you face the consequences.  

132210420_3862534137124865_8523078182688564270_o.jpg

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic