Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, Dagger Is Back said:

Me too but I think they’ve only now realised that this strain is much faster to spread. 

Only highlights once again how the press in this country have badly handled this whole issue.

From basic reporting mistakes to sensationalist headlines, to digging up any old expert who has a view.

Very poor IMO

This, particularly the press who have been a joke.

Nothing new there.

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
25 minutes ago, Costanza said:

Was on a zoom call yesterday with some friends, and one is a doctor who works in ICU saying they are already close to capacity and that's with hardly any covid patients.

The NHS wasn't overwhelmed in the first wave argument is pish as well.

It's almost as though we need NHS carnage to convince some people that a lockdown is a blunt tool that works

The nhs was overwhelmed in the first wave? This is news as the governments were continually referring the fact that they weren’t as a justification that lockdown had been successful - where you find out this information?

close to capacity ? how does that compare to previous years?

25 minutes ago, Costanza said:

29 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

It's a virus- it won't burn out

The difficulty was striking a balance between health and livelihoods, an incredible situation to be in.

The other issue is so many different opinions from so many medical experts, scientists and politicians across the world has just totally confused everyone.

The first lockdown drove the numbers down to very low levels. If they had kept going with it until the numbers were zero and coupled that tactic with only essential international travel, followed by government supervised isolation on return, then how could the virus have spread.  Any virus will ‘burn out’ if people stop being infected. 

What we got instead was everybody back to work, eat out to help out and allowing travel and relying on people isolating on return. 

Edited by GinRummy

5 minutes ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

The nhs was overwhelmed in the first wave? This is news as the governments were continually referring the fact that they weren’t as a justification that lockdown had been successful - where you find out this information?

Something like that should be operating close to capacity. It would be inefficient to operate with swathes of extra capacity. 

You need a back up plan to quickly increase capacity should an anomaly arise. They did that, used lockdown to prevent it from drowning and built additional capacity in the form of nightingale hospitals. They then sat on their arses until the second wave without doing anything to staff the  increased capacity and now we have empty nightingale hospitals and panic again.

Edited by Taffin

2 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Where the **** do they think they are escaping to, and how long for?

Will it not be people who stay down there for work trying to get back to their homes for Christmas 🤷‍♀️

1 minute ago, theshed said:

Will it not be people who stay down there for work trying to get back to their homes for Christmas 🤷‍♀️

Get to the border for Christmas Eve and then invade the homeland on Christmas day

Governor Tarkin
Just now, theshed said:

Could be. If so they'd likely have been leaving London regardless of the impending lockdown.

Governor Tarkin
5 minutes ago, Taffin said:

They then sat on their arses until the second wave without doing anything to staff the  increased capacity and now we have empty nightingale hospitals and panic again.

When in trouble,

When in doubt,

Run in circles,

Scream, and shout

Just now, Newton51 said:
31 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

It was September it was discovered, it will be a mistake in the article,

wonder if eat out to help out in august caused this new super strain 

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
6 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Something like that should be operating close to capacity. It would be inefficient to operate with swathes of extra capacity. 

You need a back up plan to quickly increase capacity should an anomaly arise. They did that, used lockdown to prevent it from drowning and built additional capacity in the form of nightingale hospitals. They then sat on their arses until the second wave without doing anything to staff the  increased capacity and now we have empty nightingale hospitals and panic again.

yes thats how how I understood it to be both with wave 1 and general spare capacity but Constanta is saying that the nhs not being overwhelmed in wave 1 was pish

that sounds like new information

56 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

It was September first discovered, it most certainly wasn’t 10 days ago. 

10 days ago was notification to WHO I suspect. 

I could be wrong here but I’m sure sturgeon said that she only found out about it yesterday.... she has been known to lie mind 

Governor Tarkin
2 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Hancock saying tier 4 restrictions likely to remain until we’re jabbed up. A shame we run out vaccine before Jan and no more due to at least March. 

Yon Oxford elixir needs OK'd pronto.

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
1 minute ago, theshed said:

I could be wrong here but I’m sure sturgeon said that she only found out about it yesterday.... she has been known to lie mind 

maybe she found out about it before but just forgot

Maroon Sailor
9 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

The first lockdown drove the numbers down to very low levels. If they had kept going with it until the numbers were zero and coupled that tactic with only essential international travel, followed by government supervised isolation on return, then how could the virus have spread.  Any virus will ‘burn out’ if people stop being infected. 

What we got instead was everybody back to work, eat out to help out and allowing travel and relying on people isolating on return. 

People get the flu every year - that hasn't burnt out.

Just now, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

maybe she found out about it before but just forgot

That would explain things 👍

6 minutes ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

yes thats how how I understood it to be both with wave 1 and general spare capacity but Constanta is saying that the nhs not being overwhelmed in wave 1 was pish

I imagine it will be an isolated hospital/region that was overwhelmed. I went round and round about that before but imo the NHS is a collective term and until all arms of that are overwhelmed it is disingenuous to declare the NHS per se as overwhelmed.

Just for clarity, I'm agreeing with you. Just wanted to get involved in the discussion 👍

Edited by Taffin

Maroon Sailor
6 minutes ago, Newton51 said:

wonder if eat out to help out in august caused this new super strain 

I don't think so

Keeping the UK borders open to non essential travel is more likely

2 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

People get the flu every year - that hasn't burnt out.

How does that address my point? If lockdown continued until the infection rate was zero and all essential international travel resulted in a government supervised isolation period on return, how could the virus have continued to spread? 

Maroon Sailor
1 minute ago, GinRummy said:

How does that address my point? If lockdown continued until the infection rate was zero and all essential international travel resulted in a government supervised isolation period on return, how could the virus have continued to spread? 

You need a magic wand to get rid of a virus.

You can't kill it

1 minute ago, Maroon Sailor said:

You need a magic wand to get rid of a virus.

You can't kill it

We’re going round in circles. I’ll just give up. 

48 minutes ago, jonesy said:

I know about letting the world alone, not interfering. I do not know about running things. Letting things alone: so that men will not blow their nature out of shape! Not interfering, so that men will not be changed into something they are not! When men do not get twisted and maimed beyond recognition, when they are allowed to live - the purpose of government is achieved.(庄子)

If only we had followed that we'd be back to normal by now?

Maroon Sailor
Just now, GinRummy said:

We’re going round in circles. I’ll just give up. 

It won't go away - hence the reliability on the vaccine roll out.

Just now, Maroon Sailor said:

It won't go away - hence the reliability on the vaccine roll out.

Yeah you’ve said that bud. I asked how the virus would have spread if certain actions were taken and you just ignored that so I’ve not got too much to add. I knew that viruses spread already. 

On 15/12/2020 at 14:53, Jambo-Jimbo said:

9 of the new cases in Scotland are this new strain, mostly around weegieland.

13 minutes ago, theshed said:

She definitely knew about the new strain on Tuesday, she announced it in the Scottish parliament, then I posted the above post about it.

Governor Tarkin
2 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Also what time can you buy booze on a Sunday is it 12:30? After the news yesterday going to have a few beers to watch the game and start shouting out of character abuse at the screen, in a futile attempt to make myself feel better. 

I'm disgusted that you don't have this information to hand tbh.   :lenny:

The answer is 10am, although small independent retailers with whom you have established a jovial familiarity will often do business provided it is after 10am somewhere in the Northern Hemisphere.

57 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

It's a virus- it won't burn out

The difficulty was striking a balance between health and livelihoods, an incredible situation to be in.

The other issue is so many different opinions from so many medical experts, scientists and politicians across the world has just totally confused everyone.

We could have been closer to the NZ approach and come close to zero Covid. Still believe that was possible. Of course your last point is true and there is a large part of ne being Captain Hindsight here.

The Real Maroonblood
14 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

I don't think so

Keeping the UK borders open to non essential travel is more likely

This one still pisses me off.

Weeks into the pandemic flights were still arriving and from Italy in particular who had huge numbers infected.

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
19 minutes ago, Taffin said:

I imagine it will be an isolated hospital/region that was overwhelmed. I went round and round about that before but imo the NHS is a collective term and until all arms of that are overwhelmed it is disingenuous to declare the NHS per se as overwhelmed.

Just for clarity, I'm agreeing with you. Just wanted to get involved in the discussion 👍

yes I think we are agreeing - I’m interested to hear contanzas info though as sounds like we both might be wrong

38 minutes ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

Sorry, the NHS wasn't overwhelmed was a rhetorical question i.e. we didn't need to use the Nightingale hospitals.

Kinda damned if you do as if lockdowns work and stop the NHS being overwhelmed then some say the extent was overstated. Can't really win.

In capacity,  no idea but the issue is that we can't cope with a large spike in Covid based on existing non covid conditions.

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
1 minute ago, Costanza said:

Sorry, the NHS wasn't overwhelmed was a rhetorical question i.e. we didn't need to use the Nightingale hospitals.

Kinda damned if you do as if lockdowns work and stop the NHS being overwhelmed then some say the extent was overstated. Can't really win.

In capacity,  no idea but the issue is that we can't cope with a large spike in Covid based on existing non covid conditions.

cheers for clearing that up 👍

i was ready go on the governments bern lying again rant :lol:

30 minutes ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

Just to reiterate,  I was using the argument some are stating that a non overwhelmed NHS is a signal that the impact of Covid was overstated. 

I agree it wasn't overwhelmed because of the measures we took.

10 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

She definitely knew about the new strain on Tuesday, she announced it in the Scottish parliament, then I posted the above post about it.

Ive just listened to her interview again as it was a question she got asked about putting everyone in tier 4 and she says “ due to information I’ve received today about this new strain”  

Think she must be meaning it was new information and I’ve picked her up wrong thinking she had just found out about it 

3 minutes ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

cheers for clearing that up 👍

i was ready go on the governments bern lying again rant :lol:

Nae bother. Just my pish communication (which I criticised the Govt over 😀)

8 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

I’ve noticed it’s been open, for food mainly but probably do takeaways too.  
I was more hoping folk would go and buy the two casks i opened this afternoon before Xmas day 🙄🙈

After 6pm they have a serving hatch set up next to the Lothian Road door

Governor Tarkin

The takeaway pint joints will be taking a hammering tonight if Neilson's ne'er-do-wells pap ginger teeth Merrick's Provo Sporting Wing.  :jj:

Seymour M Hersh
12 hours ago, Brian Dundas said:

We didn’t leave the house, except to the garden. I didn’t willingly break any laws, I went further than required to protect others. 

Nicola and Jason are pwowd, very pwowed.

22 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

I'm disgusted that you don't have this information to hand tbh.   :lenny:

The answer is 10am, although small independent retailers with whom you have established a jovial familiarity will often do business provided it is after 10am somewhere in the Northern Hemisphere.

😂😂😂

Always handy to have a good relationship with your local independent retailer with a familiar British name.

Pasquale for King
29 minutes ago, the general said:

After 6pm they have a serving hatch set up next to the Lothian Road door

Just for food or can they sell alcohol too?

5 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

Had a night to think about the new measures. We are where we are, however 9 months to return to the March positions points to nothing but abject failure in our govts  response to this. 

The U.K. has one of the worst death tolls, the worst economic impact and lived with the restrictions longer than most yet the policy is to do more of what we are doing which is has been a  failure. 

The politicians/govts at every turn have been shown up to not have a clue about what they are talking about or just out right lying to people. 

Short term pain isn’t turning into long term gain but long term pain. 

I look forward to the numbers dropping in  only to suffer from wave 3 or 4 when they eventually loosen them. 

I also do find myself wondering if this new variant is being used for control rather than scientific reasons. It’s a pretty sad indictment of our governments and their handling that I find myself wondering. 

There is an increasing reliance the Oxford vaccine receives approval or this will fall apart quickly in the new year imo. Hope is needed and the exact opposite is provided. 

EAF87138-FA45-4F3C-A25A-4BD3C81FA2F8.png

Belgium & the Netherlands have banned air travel from the UK due to fears over this new strain.

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-belgium-joins-netherlands-in-halting-air-travel-from-uk-following-new-virus-strain-discovery-12168042

Breaking News - Italy have now banned UK travellers as well, I expect many more countries to follow suit.

Can't blame them, I'd hope we would do the same if the boot was on the other foot.

The Real Maroonblood
3 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Belgium & the Netherlands have banned air travel from the UK due to fears over this new strain.

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-belgium-joins-netherlands-in-halting-air-travel-from-uk-following-new-virus-strain-discovery-12168042

Breaking News - Italy have now banned UK travellers as well, I expect many more countries to follow suit.

Can't blame them, I'd hope we would do the same if the boot was on the other foot.

Exactly. 

Mind at the beginning we had a few posts about it.

1 hour ago, Pasquale for King said:

Just for food or can they sell alcohol too?

Oops sorry yes for alcohol

Stella was only lager iirc

Mulled cider etc 

27 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

We'd do it a few months too late and then lie about how we'd done the correct thing.

Sturgeon would say after the fact that she'd have done it earlier despite it not being in her control.

Wales would just moan about something broadly unrelated and NI would largely go about their own business.

Edited by Taffin

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic