Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

2 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

Non contact sports ie. golf ok but contacts a no no. So imagine that kids football binned for a bit.

Incredible how many winter golfers there is this year 🤣

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nucky Thompson
Just now, vegas-voss said:

It can't do the courses much good. 

I walk the dog on Carrick Knowe and it's always waterlogged. It's a marsh

Toxteth O'Grady
22 minutes ago, Captain Slog said:

Ok, I wonder if someone could help explain something/

Prior to the border being closed. it was ok to send the ex to London for purposes of moving house.  Could anyone with a handle on the new rules explain if that would still be permissible as a reason to travel over the border.

Essential travel is allowed.

Relocation due to the breakdown of a relationship is a valid reason.

Samuel Camazzola

There's no logic in the Highlands being moved from tier 1 to tier 4. An adjustment to the guidance could have been given regarding movement but to restrict leisure, hospitality, retail etc is very poor. 

21 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

Moving house and related activities are on the exemption list, so yes you can travel to do that

Thank you

6 minutes ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

Essential travel is allowed.

Relocation due to the breakdown of a relationship is a valid reason.

And thank you too, and the advice came just in time for be to get in some celebration beers☺️

Maroon Sailor
12 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

There's no logic in the Highlands being moved from tier 1 to tier 4. An adjustment to the guidance could have been given regarding movement but to restrict leisure, hospitality, retail etc is very poor. 

Doesn't make any sense that one

The tier system is a sham. It was brought in to assist areas where the numbers are low.

45 minutes ago, spirt of 98 said:

You can back up any theory on the internet there are folk all over with different opinions. The facts are if you wear a mask some of what you breathe out gets trapped reducing virus spread by you. 

masks do nothing to prevent you getting it unless the mask is an N95 or FFP3 mask. Face coverings offer little in personal protection but do reduce the virus you release into the environment. 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/science/brain-flapping/2016/jan/26/earth-totally-flat-conspiracy-bob

another shite theory back by a so called expert online 

You're proving my point mate. There's no proof either way. That's all I'm saying.

But folk on here would have you believe that it's "people like me" who are to blame for the spread of the virus.

Batshit crazy this thing. Turning normally sane individuals into neurotic, nonsensical maniacs.

Malinga the Swinga
27 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Somewhere like Tarbert was due to be level 1 from Tuesday. Now it is level 4. Scottish Government has lost what little control it had with desperation to be seen as tougher than England. Also needs to move headlines away from Fitzpatrick being forced to resign and the replacement being shown to have failed in previous roles. 

Scottish government is one family ship. 

Samuel Camazzola
16 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Doesn't make any sense that one

The tier system is a sham. It was brought in to assist areas where the numbers are low.

1 minute ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Somewhere like Tarbert was due to be level 1 from Tuesday. Now it is level 4. Scottish Government has lost what little control it had with desperation to be seen as tougher than England. Also needs to move headlines away from Fitzpatrick being forced to resign and the replacement being shown to have failed in previous roles. 

No doubt the question will get raised officially but will be fobbed off with waffle. 

Maroon Sailor
Just now, Malinga the Swinga said:

She is one crafty cow, I'll give her that

Waited for Boris, Wales and NI to set out their plans and went a step further.

She was almost licking her lips at the thought of shutting the border for travel. I should say lip as she hasn't got a top lip.

3 hours ago, steve123 said:

Then again if we are locking down because of what is happening in London tier system is fecked, I am not getting in to the politics of it but you can't use what is happening in England when it suits you but not when it does not.

That is spot on Steve. The r number is used when it suits, likewise the 5 tests to determine tiers, what's happening in England etc etc. It wasn't hard to see from Sturgeon's demeanour- despite the "me think thou protest too much" utterings - that Sturgeon was champing at the bit to dramatise the mutation in SE England and exercise more power over the Scottish people.  She is milking this situation and it is hard to see how we get out of this mess while she is allowed to remain in charge. 

Nucky Thompson
9 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

Was that like the logic of your pals not isolating after their holiday as they wouldn’t get caught.  

Come on Brian. You can't preach about holidays. You went to Greece in the summer.

I know you're going to say that you isolated when you got back, but I'm sure you would have went to supermarkets etc

2 hours ago, luckydug said:

Funny how folk form an opinion and in an effort to justify it they find the odd 'expert' to justify their opinion. 

In spite of the fact that the vast majority of experts advise to the contrary. 

Bottom line is if you are on public transport, in shops, pubs, restaurants etc you HAVE TO WEAR A FACE COVERING. 

Some countries make you wear one all the time outside. 

It's not a big sacrifice and it may help keep us safe. 

You only HAVE TO if someone enforces it. So, unless drivers , shop staff etc TELL people to put a mask on or **** off then it doesn't work. In Scotland we have a FM who tip-toes around people's sensitivities,  doesn't want blame, stigma, offence to be bandied about. And she thinks it is "progressive". The majority should always trump the minority. Now that is "progressive"

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, vegas-voss said:

I have a look at the public courses on the app and they’re reality busy every day. I was hoping to go onto Carricknowe and hit a few balls but it looks like it will stay open. Good exercise for folk and golf has become more popular again. One positive from all this. 

Nucky Thompson
2 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

I have a look at the public courses on the app and they’re reality busy every day. I was hoping to go onto Carricknowe and hit a few balls but it looks like it will stay open. Good exercise for folk and golf has become more popular again. One positive from all this. 

Take a wet suit and flippers as well as your clubs if you go to Carrick Knowe

Samuel Camazzola
1 hour ago, Brian Dundas said:

Was that like the logic of your pals not isolating after their holiday as they wouldn’t get caught.  

Yip. It made sense as their flight arrived around 5 and the 'deadline' was 4. Technically, they did serve the bulk of their 'isolation' as they headed off on holiday again on the Tuesday. 😎

Pasquale for King
30 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Take a wet suit and flippers as well as your clubs if you go to Carrick Knowe

Will do cheers 😜

Pasquale for King
9 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

The Scotland No Parties party fandans have gone quiet 

The SNPP, that sounded better in your head didn’t it 🤔🤷🏾‍♂️😆?

Tenaciousdandy
1 hour ago, Pasquale for King said:

Not a fan of Liz the last but I might watch her pish this year 😂

0E4DA5F9-410B-4CC6-9CB9-67F859F17319.jpeg

Aye, it will definitely be an interesting speech, still won't be watching it tho

Pasquale for King
23 minutes ago, Dandyman79 said:

Aye, it will definitely be an interesting speech, still won't be watching it tho

Yeah I will just catch the highlights later on 😜

4 hours ago, GinRummy said:

Opium of the people as Groucho Marx once said 🥸😎

“ marriage is a great institution but I ain’t ready for an institution yet “ 

2 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Get yourselves into the pubs that are open to get a few pints before they have to close again 🙄

I do hear that “ Shakespeares” in Lothian road is seeking taje away pints tomorrow and several Jambos going there to watch the match on their phones etc ! Could be just a rumour . ? I’ll be Sans drink for the match at friends . 

3 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

She was almost licking her lips at the thought of shutting the border for travel. I should say lip as she hasn't got a top lip.

I really feel that too . It’s now become even more political and not about that science which is should be about . After all that’s why the tier system was tailored for it . But this is now completely bypassed 

Pasquale for King
15 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

I do hear that “ Shakespeares” in Lothian road is seeking taje away pints tomorrow and several Jambos going there to watch the match on their phones etc ! Could be just a rumour . ? I’ll be Sans drink for the match at friends . 

I’ve noticed it’s been open, for food mainly but probably do takeaways too.  
I was more hoping folk would go and buy the two casks i opened this afternoon before Xmas day 🙄🙈

1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

I’ve noticed it’s been open, for food mainly but probably do takeaways too.  
I was more hoping folk would go and buy the two casks i opened this afternoon before Xmas day 🙄🙈

I hope they do mate have a great day anyway 

Governor Tarkin
9 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Crowds of people trying to escape London, after tier 4 announcement. 

Where the **** do they think they are escaping to, and how long for?

6 minutes ago, jonesy said:

That's what happens when you attempt to curtail individual liberty and personal responsibility in a country in which, up until this year, took such things for granted.

Good luck to these folk, I'd be doing the same.

If this is the shape of things to come - governments shitting the bed every time their incompetent modellers try to convince them that they are important - then I fancy moving back to China a little earlier than originally planned.

Since you’re having a go at every turn - what would you be doing instead if you ran the country (Scotland or UK)?

Governor Tarkin
1 minute ago, Lord BJ said:

Oxgangs is going to be like Eastenders

soon 🙈

I assume the people are ****ing off to second homes, family or friends. If nothing else it will aid the virus in spreading about the country 😞

I have to be honest, one of my biggest regrets about my personal dealing with COVID was not packing the family up to Portugal or Cyprus and sitting this out in better climate/environment. I thought the kids attending school was best way forward, I think that was the wrong call on my part. 

I can totally understand people getting the **** out of dodge. 

Perish the thought.

Aye, if you have the means then sitting this out somewhere more agreeable would've been the way to go. At least you'll know next time.  :muggy:

Looks like I might be off again at the end of January/beginning of Feb. Two weeks quarantine in Luanda or Point Noire followed by two or three months running about off the coast of Angola.

It's a long time away from the Mrs and the boys but we've decided I'm as well giving it a go while everything's shut and there's **** all going on in Jockland.

The Mighty Thor
56 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Had a night to think about the new measures. We are where we are, however 9 months to return to the March positions points to nothing but abject failure in our govts  response to this. 

The U.K. has one of the worst death tolls, the worst economic impact and lived with the restrictions longer than most yet the policy is to do more of what we are doing which is has been a  failure. 

The politicians/govts at every turn have been shown up to not have a clue about what they are talking about or just out right lying to people. 

Short term pain isn’t turning into long term gain but long term pain. 

I look forward to the numbers dropping in  only to suffer from wave 3 or 4 when they eventually loosen them. 

I also do find myself wondering if this new variant is being used for control rather than scientific reasons. It’s a pretty sad indictment of our governments and their handling that I find myself wondering. 

There is an increasing reliance the Oxford vaccine receives approval or this will fall apart quickly in the new year imo. Hope is needed and the exact opposite is provided. 

Whilst I think there is more than a grain of truth in your control argument, particularly as we're about to drop off an economic cliff, with fresh food stuffs being in short supply, the track record would suggest its just rank incompetence in Westminster and Holyrood. 

2021 looks bleak and anyone thinking a vaccine is riding to the rescue is deluded

Governor Tarkin

Just a case of making sure the better half and kids have the support they need. Which is probably easier said than done. 

Can you drink when your onboard or you completely t total when off shore. You onboard for 3month without shore leave?

The family will be fine. They'll form whatever support bubbly they need regardless of what the Gov't tells them they're allowed to do. That's just the way it will be for a lot of folk I'd imagine.

Covid restrictions mean no runs ashore or no crew-changes this time around, which is a pity because Point Noire can be a good day/night out.

No booze onboard either, which my liver will be delighted about. There will be a gym though, and with few other vices I usually come back from a trip in fantastic condition.

The trick is keeping that going when back on dry land. :(

Will also be nice to stick a few shekles in the boys' school fund and maybe a wee holiday after the summer when the temperatures in the Med' start to drop off a bit.

10 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Ha Ha.

Jambof3tornado

Work partner away for a covid test yesterday..... fingers crossed. Been dealing with covid patients since the start. One farce after another. Relaxing rules for xmas was going to kill people.

January is going to be a hellish month, especially of just 3 or 4 londoners bring the new strain north.

Packed trains no social distancing, disaster waiting to happen, look how its spread through food processing plants etc.

Rant over.

Vaccinated next week. 

Jambof3tornado
9 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

The Saviours of Scotland doing what had to be done. 

Should have been done without waiting for Boris.

The devolved govs should never have gone along with him in the first place regarding xmas.

11 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

The seethe is amusing.

Natural seethe is welcome.

With their trademark gurn, visually, it's difficult to tell when a troll is in seethe mode, on here though...piece o piss!

Dagger Is Back

Anyone read when this new strain was first discovered?

Two separate articles on Sky news - one says September, the other says 10 days or so ago!

Dagger Is Back

It was September first discovered, it most certainly wasn’t 10 days ago. 

10 days ago was notification to WHO I suspect. 

Yeah that’s what I thought too, then I read this

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/news.sky.com/story/amp/new-variant-of-coronavirus-identified-in-uk-health-secretary-says-12161416

The biggest failure was the first, which was not to shutdown the island completely and burn out the virus before having a fully functioning test and trace system. whereas now we seem to be in a series of endless lockdown cycles.

Communication and messaging from Holyrood and Westminster has been muddled and it's no wonder people are angry about the Christmas arrangements. Still feel the advice should have been to recommend isolating beforehand and allow Christmas Day plus one overnight stay.

However whilst I'm critical of the SG I'm not in agreement with the "Sturgeon is loving it" and "power mad" rubbish that some seem to be pushing on this thread.

Why would a politician want to make decisions that harm people's mental health and devastate businesses, especially before an election year?

The populist approach would be to open everything up.

Its clear to me that the SG are desperate to avoid hospitals being overwhelmed. Was on a zoom call yesterday with some friends, and one is a doctor who works in ICU saying they are already close to capacity and that's with hardly any covid patients.

The NHS wasn't overwhelmed in the first wave argument is pish as well.

It's almost as though we need NHS carnage to convince some people that a lockdown is a blunt tool that works. But a tool that really should only be used a one off measure.

It's the fact that we are having to repeat lockdowns that are the issue and an admission of failure by the UK and Scottish Governments.

This needn't have been the case and IMO we could have avoided this and the devastation to large parts of our economy.

19 minutes ago, Dagger Is Back said:

Anyone read when this new strain was first discovered?

Two separate articles on Sky news - one says September, the other says 10 days or so ago!

Take your pick of whichever best suits your agenda.

Scare mongering excuse to cancel Christmas - September 

Very real and unexpected threat to our existence that must be stopped - 10 days ago 

I'm on the September line.

Maroon Sailor
3 minutes ago, Costanza said:

The biggest failure was the first, which was not to shutdown the island completely and burn out the virus before having a fully functioning test and trace system. whereas now we seem to be in a series of endless lockdown cycles.

Communication and messaging from Holyrood and Westminster has been muddled and it's no wonder people are angry about the Christmas arrangements. Still feel the advice should have been to recommend isolating beforehand and allow Christmas Day plus one overnight stay.

However whilst I'm critical of the SG I'm not in agreement with the "Sturgeon is loving it" and "power mad" rubbish that some seem to be pushing on this thread.

Why would a politician want to make decisions that harm people's mental health and devastate businesses, especially before an election year?

The populist approach would be to open everything up.

Its clear to me that the SG are desperate to avoid hospitals being overwhelmed. Was on a zoom call yesterday with some friends, and one is a doctor who works in ICU saying they are already close to capacity and that's with hardly any covid patients.

The NHS wasn't overwhelmed in the first wave argument is pish as well.

It's almost as though we need NHS carnage to convince some people that a lockdown is a blunt tool that works. But a tool that really should only be used a one off measure.

It's the fact that we are having to repeat lockdowns that are the issue and an admission of failure by the UK and Scottish Governments.

This needn't have been the case and IMO we could have avoided this and the devastation to large parts of our economy.

It's a virus- it won't burn out

The difficulty was striking a balance between health and livelihoods, an incredible situation to be in.

The other issue is so many different opinions from so many medical experts, scientists and politicians across the world has just totally confused everyone.

Dagger Is Back
11 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Take your pick of whichever best suits your agenda.

Scare mongering excuse to cancel Christmas - September 

Very real and unexpected threat to our existence that must be stopped - 10 days ago 

I'm on the September line.

Me too but I think they’ve only now realised that this strain is much faster to spread. 

4 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

It was September it was discovered, it will be a mistake in the article,

Only highlights once again how the press in this country have badly handled this whole issue.

From basic reporting mistakes to sensationalist headlines, to digging up any old expert who has a view.

Very poor IMO

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic