Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

8 minutes ago, Taffin said:

The very fact the UK leaders agreed to a 5 day relaxation and are now rolling back on it 4 days before it was due to start proves beyond any doubt whatsoever that they're not fit for purpose as leaders.

They either overpromised on something they could never be confident of adhering to or they thought it was wrong all along but where far too weak to voice that and instead went along with it.

Anyone defending them, sympathising with their position or continuing to vote for them needs their head examined.

The UK leaders are safe for another four years. 

Unless their own party stabs them in the back. 

The Scottish election is a different story. 

Have to say though the Scottish public is more supportive of the SG than this predominantly Unionist forum. 

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Toxteth O'Grady
31 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Apologies if already covered, how come some restrictions and changes need to go through parliament but others don't?

Also, when did the Scottish Government get the power to ban travel to/from England?

Also,

"It is not right to criminalise people who simply want to spend time with their loved ones," the Prime Minister said at a Downing Street briefing

I think it is the default position for Level 4 - no non essential travel outside of your Council area. The travel ban was put into law a month ago.

3 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Keep watching mate, there’s street dance on right now.🙈

Archive music on Yesterday channel now.  The Who just on.  Pink Floyd now.  A mind **** is just what was needed.

2 minutes ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

I think it is the default position for Level 4 - no non essential travel outside of your Council area. The travel ban was put into law a month ago.

I understand it internally across councils etc but I didn't think border control was a devolved power that Scotland could just decide to turn on and off?

1 hour ago, redjambo said:

This, except for the "no-one in". If we want to do it right, *anyone* coming in to the UK should have to go through government-monitored isolation, at their expense.

Agree 100%.

We are an island so lock down the means to (re)introduce it.

New Zealand and possibly Australia did that and we should be too.

There is no danger someone entering the UK for a holiday is quarantining in their hotel room, and neither are holidaymakers coming home.

I know in the grand scheme having no taste or smell isn't the worst....

But its really awful. Had one of my favourite desserts tonight. Hot apple pie with a big scoop of nice vanilla ice cream.

It was like warm slime. Binned after the first bite as no taste at all. My boys are isolating with me and I had to rely on them for how the risotto i cooked tasted. They said it was lemony and peppery.....not even an iota of flavour for me.

Please let this be temporary. 

15 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

Places like Singapore, who have been much more successful in suppressing this virus than the UK, have got such belief in face masks that they’ve made sure everyone has access to them, and at a very reasonable cost.

This is a genuine question. How would wearing a face covering cause the virus to spread more easily than not wearing one? 

There's a fair bit on the internet that infers just that. There's also a fair bit that suggests they help. Crucially, neither can be proven one way or another. I don't believe for a second trying to blame people for not wearing face masks properly or not at all has much if any bearing on the spreading of the virus. It's human nature to always look for blame though. I'm not going to pillory you for that.

CavySlaveJambo
1 minute ago, Lord BJ said:

I think they will use a council law as opposed to a border control law, so as to get round it. Plus didn’t the Welsh do it earlier?

Yes Wales has done it before. 

22 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

Places like Singapore, who have been much more successful in suppressing this virus than the UK, have got such belief in face masks that they’ve made sure everyone has access to them, and at a very reasonable cost.

This is a genuine question. How would wearing a face covering cause the virus to spread more easily than not wearing one? 

Watch them all dodge this one.

4 minutes ago, JyTees said:

There's a fair bit on the internet that infers just that. There's also a fair bit that suggests they help. Crucially, neither can be proven one way or another. I don't believe for a second trying to blame people for not wearing face masks properly or not at all has much if any bearing on the spreading of the virus. It's human nature to always look for blame though. I'm not going to pillory you for that.

Infers ? Nor supports or proves your point ? 

1 minute ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Just now, NANOJAMBO said:

Infers ? Nor supports or proves your point ? 

Or yours.

Just now, NANOJAMBO said:

Don’t get the resistance to wearing a face mask at all. Suppose, just for the sake of argument, it turned out that it didn’t help at all. All we would have lost was wearing a face mask, the possible upside of wearing one greatly outweighs that.

3 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

I think they will use a council law as opposed to a border control law, so as to get round it. Plus didn’t the Welsh do it earlier?

1 minute ago, CavySlaveJambo said:

Yes Wales has done it before. 

I know Wales were trying to do it but I also know a lot of people just did it anyway. I'm not advocating ignoring it or anything I'm just curious (For Wales too) as to how/what laws they are using to ban cross border travel when it isn't something they have control over as far as I know.

1 hour ago, Brighton Jambo said:

Right, the Xmas bit I am onboard with.  Fair play, and the travel ban to/from RUK is fair enough.   

But, when do we in Scotland ever get to see the benefit of having permanently longer, harsher restrictions than anywhere else.   It’s absolutely relentless and all promises of tomorrow which she never actually delivers.  And before anyone says but it’s delivery less deaths as was proven by the data yesterday it isn’t.  

So, we take the extra pain but at what point do we get any actual gain.  

Much of the country (UK) has been in a tiered system so it's difficult to make a direct comparison as to which country has had the harsher restrictions.  England is only recently out of a four week national lockdown though. Scotland hasn't had a second national lockdown.

Whichever measure you choose to look at the death rate Scotland in comes out favourably in comparison to England. The infection rate is lower too. Even using Excess Deaths as a measure there is on average more than one fewer fatality per day in Scotland than there would have been if we had matched England's performance. 

17 minutes ago, luckydug said:

The UK leaders are safe for another four years. 

Unless their own party stabs them in the back. 

The Scottish election is a different story. 

Have to say though the Scottish public is more supportive of the SG than this predominantly Unionist forum. 

This is a Unionist forum, ha ha,never heard such complete and utter infantile bullshit in a long time. Utter horseshit

1 minute ago, GinRummy said:

Don’t get the resistance to wearing a face mask at all. Suppose, just for the sake of argument, it turned out that it didn’t help at all. All we would have lost was wearing a face mask, the possible upside of wearing one greatly outweighs that.

Agreed, it's been explained to death how efficient the varying mask types are and yet there are people who simply refuse to accept the evidence in order  adopt a contrary opinion to make political capital. 

Ultimately this virus is spread by people, not politicians but too many on here won't accept that because they want to beat up the SG for political reasons (and I'm not a fan of NS). 

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
1 hour ago, Mikey1874 said:

Probably nearer 300,000 deaths in UK by now if nothing had been done.

300000 ? what’s that based on?

SectionDJambo
Just now, JyTees said:

Did I say that only people not wearing face masks were to blame? I would say not entirely. There will be plenty of instances where people wearing face coverings have not followed the guidelines correctly. For example, touching the covering, then picking up an item off a shelf in a shop and putting it back.
There are plenty other ways that people have broken the guidelines. As an example, I’ve come across many people who have gone into someone’s home, “but it was only for a few minutes”. 
I’m not one to have a blame culture. In fact it’s something I have made a point of discouraging throughout my adult life. But clearly something is going wrong here. I think I suggested that both the government and the public were probably culpable in different ways. 
Unless of course there is absolutely nothing that anyone could have done to suppress this virus, and the likes of Singapore and New Zealand were just lucky.

9 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

But what if it has a detrimental effect?

8 minutes ago, JyTees said:

Or yours.

I've read many studies - the facts are well known and well publicised but people like you just don't want to acknowledge it. If you've got any links to studies that show masks do not help or even assist in transmitting the virus I would like to see it. 

2 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

I've read many studies - the facts are well known and well publicised but people like you just don't want to acknowledge it. If you've got any links to studies that show masks do not help or even assist in transmitting the virus I would like to see it. 

Google it mate. There's arguments for both.

People like me. 😂😂 String me up!

Just now, JyTees said:

But what if it has a detrimental effect?

From what I’ve read, and it’s admittedly not much, extended use of face masks can have a detrimental effect by not exposing you to viruses and bacteria and affecting your breathing, again long term. I don’t think there’s much evidence wearing them in a shop or a bus for a few hours a week is detrimental but I’m happy to hear about any facts about mask wearing. 

Brighton Jambo
13 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

I was very anti mask at the beginning and felt it was a real imposition but will happily admit I got that wrong.  I barely notice now and neither to the kids.  Amazing how quickly people adjust.  

Weakened Offender
10 minutes ago, gedster said:

This is a Unionist forum, ha ha,never heard such complete and utter infantile bullshit in a long time. Utter horseshit

This thread is a predominantly Unionist thread. That's why it's so ****ing tragic. 

Just now, Brighton Jambo said:

I was very anti mask at the beginning and felt it was a real imposition but will happily admit I got that wrong.  I barely notice now and neither to the kids.  Amazing how quickly people adjust.  

Agreed. I wouldn’t say I was anti mask but I wasn’t keen. Small price to pay for any gain. 

1 minute ago, Brighton Jambo said:

That's not necessarily a good thing.

1 minute ago, JyTees said:

Google it mate. There's arguments for both.

People like me. 😂😂 String me up!

Deary me - makes claims about masks, won't back it up and then finishes with an emoji.

2 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

This thread is a predominantly Unionist thread. That's why it's so ****ing tragic. 

Sorry, don't see it I'm afraid. Peoples opinions absolutely, opinions of our elected politicians absolutely, predominantly Unionist .......no, unless in the current Scotland opinions that vary are all Unionists??

Toxteth O'Grady
26 minutes ago, Taffin said:

I understand it internally across councils etc but I didn't think border control was a devolved power that Scotland could just decide to turn on and off?

It’s just a consequence of every Scottish council area on the border being in Tier 4. It is health legislation which is devolved. 

The Real Maroonblood
7 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

The seethe is amusing.

Just now, GinRummy said:

From what I’ve read, and it’s admittedly not much, extended use of face masks can have a detrimental effect by not exposing you to viruses and bacteria and affecting your breathing, again long term. I don’t think there’s much evidence wearing them in a shop or a bus for a few hours a week is detrimental but I’m happy to hear about any facts about mask wearing. 

There's a lot of arguments about the reuse of coverings. The virus being trapped in coverings and breathed in.

Also, when they're not worn properly, removed properly, disposed of properly... I'm pretty sure there's a huge chunk of the mask wearing population who don't follow the correct procedures. Whilst scouring and hissing at other members of the public who haven't got a mask on, ironically, they could be doing more harm than said mask wearer.

I think there's a hell of a lot to be debating during all this, than the wearing or non wearing of masks.

Just now, Toxteth O'Grady said:

It’s just a consequence of every Scottish council area on the border being in Tier 4. It is health legislation which is devolved. 

But as soon as you are in Scotland your now under that council areas rules, however the act of actually crossing the border has already occured before you're under than jurisdiction. You're also allowed to travel clean through a Scottish Tier 4 area as long as you don't live in one so I'm still unclear on how they plan to enforce it.

So if you drove into Scotland from England and continued straight to your destination without stopping I'm not sure which rule you are breaking.

Sorry it's not a very interesting question, as a Politics student in a past life I find this sort of thing fascinating.

north wales jambo

Its more built up at border near where I live, but north wales police stopped cars on several routes, into Flintshire from the Chester/Cheshire and Wirral area. A Morrison’s supermarket is a 1/2 mile into wales, but people were turned back and occasionally fined for attempting to enter wales. 

During a lockdown when we were not allowed to leave our county in wales, a nurse from Wrexham borough council was stopped leaving a shopping park in Flintshire and fined a £1000. Far to heavy handed in my view.  

Think all governments have let us down a lot. Though we as people need to look at ourselves at times. 

Stay safe

Weakened Offender
10 minutes ago, gedster said:

Sorry, don't see it I'm afraid. Peoples opinions absolutely, opinions of our elected politicians absolutely, predominantly Unionist .......no, unless in the current Scotland opinions that vary are all Unionists??

I'm willing to bet that the 7 or 8 tragic morons who have polluted this thread with their utter drivel are unionists. 

Edited by Weakened Offender

2 minutes ago, JyTees said:

There's a lot of arguments about the reuse of coverings. The virus being trapped in coverings and breathed in.

Also, when they're not worn properly, removed properly, disposed of properly... I'm pretty sure there's a huge chunk of the mask wearing population who don't follow the correct procedures. Whilst scouring and hissing at other members of the public who haven't got a mask on, ironically, they could be doing more harm than said mask wearer.

I think there's a hell of a lot to be debating during all this, than the wearing or non wearing of masks.

As I’ve said, I’m not at all read up on mask wearing. Having some kind of barrier makes sense to me and that’s as much thought as I’ve really given it. Haven’t really encountered folk openly criticising non-mask wearers either but I’ve barely been out of Musselburgh for 6 ****ing months ☹️.  

Apparently Italy are back in lockdown, they were about a month a head of us when all this shit happened, so my crap logic suggests that we will be in lockdown in a month.

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic