Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

Just now, 3fingersreid said:

We can’t travel to the rest of the UK but they’re still looking at international travel , it’s simple , no one in , if you do go out you only get back in after 14 days isolation in a government holding area , if you don’t fancy that don’t leave . 

This, except for the "no-one in". If we want to do it right, *anyone* coming in to the UK should have to go through government-monitored isolation, at their expense.

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just now, redjambo said:

This, except for the "no-one in". If we want to do it right, *anyone* coming in to the UK should have to go through government-monitored isolation, at their expense.

:spoton:

5 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

You are a **** div, seriously, did you read that back to yourself before hitting post? 😳🤔🙄

Alternatively you are at the ham 😉

If so "chapeau!" you got me at least!

Lol oh I do my love hate relationship with Some posters on this 😂

6 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Ok, this is going to be contentious, perhaps, but I personally don't think we needed a national Tier 4 lockdown in Scotland from Boxing Day. Today's case figures in Scotland showed a significant decline, and we're not experiencing the same rise in cases that they are in England and Wales. I think reducing the Christmas mixing to one day was a good idea, but lockdown was an unnecessary step taken out of ultra cautiousness. It's not an indictment of the tier system having failed. It's perhaps more of a lack of trust in the population to do the right thing over the festive season, and the fear of how that might affect the infection rate, combined with a desire to see us drive cases below the plateau which, until today, we seemed to be stuck at.

Complete lockdowns are the only proven method available to drive numbers right down rather than just hold them at high levels. If she had done this instead of the level system we’d be in a much better place by now especially with the vaccine on the horizon. 

Governor Tarkin
43 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Seen this coming, plenty of food, bog roll and just stocked up on around 3 weeks worth of beer just yesterday, shops are going to be rammed from now on to christmas.

I'll be hitting the grog isle myself. :)

Maroon Sailor
2 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

And allowing folk to go on holiday July , August and September 

That was the biggest problem imo

It should've been essential travel only in and out of the UK.

3 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Should have been happening for months. 

The Mighty Thor
15 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Unfortunately find myself agreeing with your last para.

I'm not being negative when I say that. Its a matter of the physical logistics of vaccinating 3.5m people. 

They need to stop the bullshit about everyone being vaccinated by Easter. They need to start being honest.

13 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

They are still adopting a balance which is tougher restrictions because they know there will still be loads of people spreading the virus by meeting indoors etc.

Can't argue with that.

People are getting fatigued with the clear incompetence and lack of transparency as much as the measures themselves 

SectionDJambo
3 minutes ago, Ma Roon said:

Lockowns and Tier systems clearly don't work, wearing of masks not making any difference as figures of infection higher than pre lockdown 1  The vaccine might or might not be any good as the virus mutates 

Are we any better off than we were in March? 

Do we actually know that wearing a face covering hasn’t kept the recent and current infections from being even higher?

People not abiding by simple guidelines probably hasn’t  helped. For example the scenes of people dancing and singing in the streets of London on their last night of having open pubs. All quite happy with themselves.

Government responses have clearly not worked, but the guidelines they issue to people are only as effective as the compliance to them from the public. 
Millions of pounds wasted on giving people with little or no expertise on procurement of medical supplies the contracts to supply them. Most of those people connected in some way to the Conservative party. A national scandal.

In my opinion, today’s news is the result of a combination of incompetence and corruption of government and unreasonable non compliance by the public.

There is no point in saying Europe is the same. This is an island. It should have been easier to protect it from the start. The party that preaches restrictions on immigration couldn’t keep unnecessary inward travel at bay.

The Mighty Thor
5 minutes ago, redjambo said:

March was the time for this. 

Now if you're high net worth you can travel unhindered and without the need to isolate. 

4 minutes ago, steve123 said:

Na not agreeing with that, she has went more severe at every turn and has not been shy in saying our numbers are the best in UK etc.

Places in tier 2 and even possibly 1 now finding themselves in tier 3 is a shxx show and proves the strategy was not fit for purpose.

Maybe her severity has influenced Scotland's better numbers...naw?

Wall-to-wall tier 4 for mainland Scotland, Steve.

We should lockdown properly. Everyone should be told to stock up now and if you leave the house unless it’s on fire you should be arrested. A proper 3 week lockdown would see us out of this pandemic but naw we will let the loud mouth anti lockdown. Anti mask lot spraff about their mental health and start the cycle again.

when will the silent majority take this pandemic by the horns and let the government know we have had enough of the liberal pish that is keeping us locked in a pandemic.

I know people who face losing their jobs due to the pandemic who break the rules regularly keeping us locked in the cycle. 

Edited by spirt of 98

27 minutes ago, Candy said:

How come the camera is never now on the journos asking  questions?

Cos that would leave less airtime for chief mammy.

Maroon Sailor
4 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Well I suppose that's fans back at games well and truly fecked now.

We'd have to be in tier minus 3 for her to allow that

Minus 4 for pubs

1 minute ago, husref musemic said:

I'm f'n raging, i was planning to drive my dad to see his brother in Newcastle who's receiving cancer treatment. down & back in a day with a chat in the garden.

now I'll have to justify myself to some SNP stassi type on the border.

Had he been in Inverness (further away) that's fine. 

I laughed when I saw the nut jobs with the bed sheets & white suits at the border a few months ago. well i aint f'n laughing now. 

Connecting family is really important - i think you have what comes under a fair reason to travel. 

Stassi comments though are really silly though, Given what we are all going through if you are getting angry about justifying travel in the middle of a pandemic (that's killing a lot of people across the UK) then you need to give your self a shake man and calm down. 

Police Scotland and Northumbria Police will have to deal with cross border issues and it's a busy time of the year. Realistically they will have light touch presence but if you do get asked it would be best not to have the attitude.

Best of luck whatever happens.  

3 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

March was the time for this. 

Now if you're high net worth you can travel unhindered and without the need to isolate. 

Indeed it was. The UK has to be treated like a "closed system" for any internal measures against Covid to be truly effective.

Edited by redjambo

17 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

I think he’s hAlf pissed which is quite early for him ! Maybe celebrating the border being closed ? Maybe got a patrol shift tomorrow at it ?  A breve heart version of.  “ Dads army “ 😂😂😂

Just cracked a wee cider there, now. Bleachy. Maybe you could patrol Beachy head for your new found Unionists. Keep the French out. 

I think I'll answer ever post you make tonight, while I watch ink masters. 

Yes, I'm going to have me some fun. Nae luck! Bleachy. 

Edited by ri Alban

1 minute ago, ri Alban said:

Just cracked a wee cider there, now. Bleachy. Maybe you could patrol Beachy head for your new found Unionists. Keep the French out. 

The Auld Alliance. French come at them from one side and us from the other. The Irish could land on Blackpool beach in a three pronged attack. 

1 minute ago, GinRummy said:

The Auld Alliance. French come at them from one side and us from the other. The Irish could land on Blackpool beach in a three pronged attack. 

How about the Manx boys - are they with us or against us?

The Mighty Thor
3 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Indeed it was. The UK has to be treated like a "closed system" for any internal measures against Covid to be truly effective.

A case of what could have or should have been. 

If there's ever an public inquest into this clusterf**k then it'll show that they got every major decision wrong and most of them have been binary choices.

The Mighty Thor
1 minute ago, redjambo said:

How about the Manx boys - are they with us or against us?

Only one confiscated jet ski in their flotilla

14 minutes ago, steve123 said:

Na not agreeing with that, she has went more severe at every turn and has not been shy in saying our numbers are the best in UK etc.

Places in tier 2 and even possibly 1 now finding themselves in tier 3 is a shxx show and proves the strategy was not fit for purpose.

No new strain, every was good to go. Preemptive strike, but hey. Let's let it rip.  So we can all sing jingle bells. 

8 minutes ago, OBE said:

Maybe her severity has influenced Scotland's better numbers...naw?

Wall-to-wall tier 4 for mainland Scotland, Steve.

This is where they need to share their evidence if they want to be believed to be honest, people have had enough and rightly or wrongly will make their own decisions.

46 minutes ago, jonesy said:

So we sacrifice viable businesses? Just because you can't convince your boss that his employees' health is important doesn't mean everyone should suffer 😛 

His lack of empathy is brutal . 

16 minutes ago, redjambo said:

I’m happy with that amendment 👍🏻

Governor Tarkin
24 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

She goes early and severe, she's a witch. She leaves it and cases pick up, she's a witch. 

You being correct is a bit like the Number 4 bus.

Wait for ages and nothing, then two come along in the same post.

Just now, ri Alban said:

No new strain, every was good to go. Preemptive strike, but hey. Let's let it rip.  So we can all sing jingle bells. 

Na I am not saying let it rip, I am saying take sensible measures I never thought the 5 day Christmas thing was a good idea but moving from level 2 to 4 with the numbers the wat they are in Scotland just now just blows her tier system out the water.

12 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

Do we actually know that wearing a face covering hasn’t kept the recent and current infections from being even higher?

People not abiding by simple guidelines probably hasn’t  helped. For example the scenes of people dancing and singing in the streets of London on their last night of having open pubs. All quite happy with themselves.

Government responses have clearly not worked, but the guidelines they issue to people are only as effective as the compliance to them from the public. 
Millions of pounds wasted on giving people with little or no expertise on procurement of medical supplies the contracts to supply them. Most of those people connected in some way to the Conservative party. A national scandal.

In my opinion, today’s news is the result of a combination of incompetence and corruption of government and unreasonable non compliance by the public.

There is no point in saying Europe is the same. This is an island. It should have been easier to protect it from the start. The party that preaches restrictions on immigration couldn’t keep unnecessary inward travel at bay.

Do you actually know they've helped any? Maybe people wearing them have helped to spread the virus. Numbers would suggest as much.

Looking for blame at anyone other than the film in charge is pathetic tbh.

1 minute ago, Governor Tarkin said:

You being correct is a bit like the Number 4 bus.

Wait for ages and nothing, then two come along in the same post.

And fly past you when you’re puffing like a mf walking up Craiglockhart Avenue 😀

The prolongation of this torture is down to people,  not governments.  If people had really put their individual shoulder to the wheel then we would be in better shape.  We've ****ed it up through no fault but our own. 

Edited by Victorian

20 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

And allowing folk to go on holiday July , August and September 

And October and early November as well, you'd be shocked at the number of people going to the South of Spain in November.

Presumably to get a final top up on their tan before winter.

Weakened Offender
20 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Probably nearer 300,000 deaths in UK by now if nothing had been done.

Apparently people's mental health is more important. 

13 minutes ago, spirt of 98 said:

We should lockdown properly. Everyone should be told to stock up now and if you leave the house unless it’s on fire you should be arrested. A proper 3 week lockdown would see us out of this pandemic but naw we will let the loud mouth anti lockdown. Anti mask lot spraff about their mental health and start the cycle again.

when will the silent majority take this pandemic by the horns and let the government know we have had enough of the liberal pish that is keeping us locked in a pandemic.

I know people who face losing their jobs due to the pandemic who break the rules regularly keeping us locked in the cycle. 

Holy ****!

FFS, I was two days away from the ex getting on a train to London and being out of my life for ever.  Now Im stuck with her for Chrimbo and Hogmanay.

😭😭🤬

CavySlaveJambo
1 hour ago, redjambo said:

Damn. My per-council chart isn't going to be as colourful. :( ;)

The islands are 3.  Or you could just use the pre Boxing Day tiers.  

Anyway agree with you that we could have got this well under control as we are an Island.

1 minute ago, JyTees said:

Do you actually know they've helped any? Maybe people wearing them have helped to spread the virus. Numbers would suggest as much.

There have been scientific studies that have become more clear as the year went on.  Masks both protect you and protect others (originally they thought it just protected others).  But they have to be worn properly (cover mouth and nose). 

Governor Tarkin
1 minute ago, Victorian said:

The prolongation of this torture is down to people,  not governments.  If people had really put their individual shoulder to the wheel then we would be in better shape.  We've ****ed it up through no fault but our own. 

I lnow you're pissed off and feeling a bit angry, but you can ram the collective guilt up your arse.  

The Mighty Thor
2 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Is that off Jacob Rees Mogg's twitter feed?

Sumptuous revisionism right there. 

How about those starving kids?

4 minutes ago, Victorian said:

No. The first lockdown worked. People achieved that. Mixed messages and half measures, along with the blame game,have led us to this. 

32 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

The new strain was discovered in September.

But kept on the "back burner " to be deployed when most politically convenient.  Normally,  more transmissible strains are less virulent. Are they only telling us half the story? The way Sturgeon was dramatising events, you would have thought the country had been afflicted by a deadly plague.

4 minutes ago, jonesy said:

And the root cause are the governments' actions, not the virus.

It's not a tragedy, it's a wound self-inflicted by the triple prongs of incompetence, politicking and indifference.

It is a tragedy.  There will be more victims which equals a tragedy for them.  

Governments invested a bit of faith in the people and it's failed badly.  Governments made mistakes but they were ALL mistakes that enabled people to spread virus around.  At the end of the day,  people continue to fail to prevent chains of transmission.

3 minutes ago, Captain Slog said:

FFS, I was two days away from the ex getting on a train to London and being out of my life for ever.  Now Im stuck with her for Chrimbo and Hogmanay.

😭😭🤬

In this crazy year that made me laugh commiserations 🤣🤣

1 minute ago, GinRummy said:

No. The first lockdown worked. People achieved that. Mixed messages and half measures, along with the blame game,have led us to this. 

Remember FACTS?

No, me neither

4 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Nonsense. Absolute nonsense. Folk have, largely, abided by the arbitrary and confusing rules.

You're off the chart matey.  In the nicest possible way of course.

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic