Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

Governor Tarkin
39 minutes ago, tian447 said:

Yup, and it's been shite. She tested positive on the Thursday.  We immediately said that she was going to stay upstairs and I would stay downstairs, as I still wasn't showing symptoms.  I've been sleeping on the couch and wearing a mask when dropping food etc off to her, and thankfully it seems like it's stayed with her and not spread.  She's been not too bad, bit of a fever, not really too much of a cough, but really lacking in energy.  Total lack of taste and smell which has been funny, managed to give her coffee instead of tea and she didn't even notice. (I did when I sat down to enjoy a cup of coffee which turned out to be tea). 

I actually tested negative on Friday, but today I've felt like I was going to die.  The only way to describe it is like the hangover from hell, just unrelenting and awful feeling all day. I've not got any of the classic COVID symptoms, so I'll keep an eye on it and book a retest tomorrow or Thursday if it gets any worse. 

Fingers crossed it's negative if I do get tested.  Being under house arrest for the past 5 days has been absolutely brutal, even worse that we have to stay separate. I don't fancy my chances with it having asthma and chronic allergies to all sorts of things, I think COVID would finish me off :lol:

FFS bud. Hope you shake whatever it is as soon as. 

Best of luck to the both of you. 👍

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, doctor jambo said:

Right, we are looking at vaccinating from January 5th.

At risk groups get the Oxford , staff the ice mRNA special.

Question is, what is the acceptable covid death rate for normality to be fully restored post vaccine program ?

because there will still be some....

and once we are all jagged, can we stop test and trace / masks etc?

I presume we can?

Once the hospitalisations drop then I think the unlocking will happen quite quickly and restrictions dropped because no one will follow them if there's no threat of death or a long hospital battle.

UK might be ahead of the rest of the world with the vaccination deployment programme and so could be among the first back to normality. There's a glass half full spin for you.

Edited by kila

6 minutes ago, kila said:

Once the hospitalisations drop then I think the unlocking will happen quite quickly and restrictions dropped because no one will follow them if there's no threat of death or a long hospital battle.

UK might be ahead of the rest of the world with the vaccination deployment programme and so could be among the first back to normality. There's a glass half full spin for you.

I’d hope so, but in summer nobody died for weeks, and we were still under restrictions

1 minute ago, doctor jambo said:

I’d hope so, but in summer nobody died for weeks, and we were still under restrictions

I think once the vaccine programme is well underway with the most vulnerable already protected, the rush to open up the economy will go along with the dropping of restrictions as we hit summer. Then autumn will be a wait and see, with no restrictions as long as hospitalisations remain low/non-critical.

1 hour ago, jonesy said:

If nothing else, the coffee/tea switcheroo probably makes the whole escapade worth it... ;)

Seriously though, hope she feels better and gets her energy back and that you've actually just got a hangover rather than the Kung Flu. If you do end up with it, you can always remember that, no matter how bad you feel, a quick read of this thread will make you feel 100x worse. :) 

GWS

I was really worried that my taste had gone as well when I was expecting to taste coffee and instead got tea!  Didn't make sense at first and had a mini panic that it was the start of COVID symptoms before i realised what had happened :lol:

Unfortunately, I've not had anything alcoholic in weeks, so it's definitely not a hangover :( been drinking plenty of fluids, so I'll just have to hang on and see what happens, but thanks for looking out for me (and remembering about me posting before the weekend!)

If it's not that, and I test negative, my last day of isolation is Saturday. I cannot ****ing wait!! 

1 hour ago, Governor Tarkin said:

FFS bud. Hope you shake whatever it is as soon as. 

Best of luck to the both of you. 👍

Hope so too, thank you :)

"I think the people of this country have had enough of experts with organisations with acronyms saying they know what is best and consistently getting it wrong" 

5 hours ago, doctor jambo said:

Right, we are looking at vaccinating from January 5th.

At risk groups get the Oxford , staff the ice mRNA special.

Question is, what is the acceptable covid death rate for normality to be fully restored post vaccine program ?

I presume we can?

Johnson was quoted today as saying "the vaccine will be available in a few weeks, if we're lucky".

That doesn't sound hopeful. And I also saw a comment that the testing of the Oxford vaccine didn't include over 55 age group (ie arguable THE "at risk" group).

And can i just ask : why is it always about the death rate ? I agree it's important but...

I say that because right now, my experience of the NHS (in England , is it's a total car crash).

I waited 6 months just for ECG, I've been told it's a 4 month (minimum) wait for angiogram .

So from entering the NHS work flow for heart disease it's gonna take about a year to get a diagnosis , never mind any treatment.

I am also awaiting facial surgery - which I was told 12 months back would be done at end of this year. I still haven't had an appointment letter so it's clearly not going to happen. 

There's much more to covid than just an acceptable (my words) death rate - the NHS has been and will continue to be swamped with Covid/long covid issues.

32 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Johnson was quoted today as saying "the vaccine will be available in a few weeks, if we're lucky".

That doesn't sound hopeful. And I also saw a comment that the testing of the Oxford vaccine didn't include over 55 age group (ie arguable THE "at risk" group).

And can i just ask : why is it always about the death rate ? I agree it's important but...

I say that because right now, my experience of the NHS (in England , is it's a total car crash).

I waited 6 months just for ECG, I've been told it's a 4 month (minimum) wait for angiogram .

So from entering the NHS work flow for heart disease it's gonna take about a year to get a diagnosis , never mind any treatment.

I am also awaiting facial surgery - which I was told 12 months back would be done at end of this year. I still haven't had an appointment letter so it's clearly not going to happen. 

There's much more to covid than just an acceptable (my words) death rate - the NHS has been and will continue to be swamped with Covid/long covid issues.

I was meant to have “ urgent “ referral to NHS which meant I should have been seen without two weeks . Never heard within two weeks so called them again and they said it wasn’t “ urgent urgent “ type !!!’ Needless to say I wasn’t happy . I contacted my msp as well as placing formal complaint . I had to go to private care last week cause I didn’t want to wait . Shocking state of affairs with Lothian NHS . Isn’t helped by the lies spun by Leitch and others saying the NHS is back up to speed . It’s not 

1 hour ago, NANOJAMBO said:

The timescales quoted by Boris are basically to get everyone who agrees done by the end of spring.

That is very vague and could be up to May.  The economy cannot afford to continue with these restrictions in place until May.

CavySlaveJambo
3 hours ago, NANOJAMBO said:

It is the low dose/full dose protocol that has not been tested on the over 55s. 

2 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

:rofl:

What could possibly go wrong.

Nothing. It's more effective than the flu vaccine. Just a matter of time, now. 

Governor Tarkin
1 minute ago, ri Alban said:

😭 Best news ever. And my tax rebate arrived this morning, anaw. :)

Great news all round. 

:yas:

ri 'Fat Phil Green' Alban scooping up the tax breaks.

Nae spunking it all on yachts now, bud.

3 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Great news all round. 

:yas:

ri 'Fat Phil Green' Alban scooping up the tax breaks.

Nae spunking it all on yachts now, bud.

I'm wanting an early holiday, but she's no wearing it.  :D

It is the fastest ever vaccine to go from concept to reality, taking only 10 months to follow the same developmental steps that normally span a decade.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-55145696

Fingers crossed those involved haven’t cut any corners. Some achievement for science to get this done in such a short amount of time if all goes well! 

24 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

😭 Best news ever. And my tax rebate arrived this morning, anaw. :)

I did the online application for a working from home rebate a couple of weeks ago, which office workers can claim for Covid.

I am an employee so don't know if I will be given tax credits.  Think at best you get £128 back.

manaliveits105
32 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

BREAKING NEWS

Pfizer vaccine just been approved in the UK. To be rolled out in the next few days

That gave me a stiffy 

6 minutes ago, King prawn said:

It is the fastest ever vaccine to go from concept to reality, taking only 10 months to follow the same developmental steps that normally span a decade.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-55145696

Fingers crossed those involved haven’t cut any corners. Some achievement for science to get this done in such a short amount of time if all goes well! 

I think there were similar vaccines being worked on before Covid for other coronaviruses like Sars (sp?).  I think a lot of the concepts were already tried-and-tested, leaving just the specifics of this coronavirus strain or strains.

Governor Tarkin
2 minutes ago, Barack said:

Good news. If just for the older generations & our relatives, if nothing else, & whatever side of the debate you fall on.

We should see the death rate falling if not the infection rate.

Brilliant news!!! Think we've all needed this.

Now for the British one. That'll be the game changer if it shipped around the the world at standard higher temperature and only costs 3 quid a shot.

Great news. Delighted for everyone who has been affected by this and feeling anxious.

Governor Tarkin
1 minute ago, Lord BJ said:

Hospital admissions will be the key one I suspect. 

I suppose so. 

The students will all be heading home shortly to no doubt pump the shit out of each other over the festive period, so I'd expect a fair bit of covid to be spread about amongst friends with benefits. Most of the nippers I know who've had it said it barely registered alongside regular hangovers/comedowns, so more power to them if their behaviour wont be killing their grannies.

52 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Is the first success of Brexit?

UK the first country to roll out the vaccine ? Looks like Boris has played a blinder. 

40 minutes ago, frankblack said:

I think there were similar vaccines being worked on before Covid for other coronaviruses like Sars (sp?).  I think a lot of the concepts were already tried-and-tested, leaving just the specifics of this coronavirus strain or strains.

I think thats correct.  I seen one expert getting interviewed a few weeks ago about the mutated mink virus and he suggested it was quite easy (!?!) to tweak the science if needs be.

10 minutes ago, Dazo said:

UK the first country to roll out the vaccine ? Looks like Boris has played a blinder. 

The body that approved the vaccine was the one that used to do it for all EU countries. Since Brexit the EU have had to set up their own one so they will have had everything bin place with the right experience to approve vaccines

Governor Tarkin
6 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

This is great news, it is almost like the scientists new what they were doing...............

9 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Bojo doing a 5pm news conference.

:jjyay:

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

This is megiphy.gif

And this my catgiphy.gif

1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

giphy.gif

Oh and this is my dog. 

👍😃🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

You got your tinfoil hat on?

:lol:

Seriously I really hope this works.

I’m generally a glass half full person(No pun intended) bit it just seems so quick.

P.S. I need a pint.

Ainsley Harriott
19 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

I’m generally a glass half full person(No pun intended) bit it just seems so quick.

P.S. I need a pint.

Worst case scenario is it doesn't stop you contracting covid. I cant see us growing extra toes or developing allergies it's made in the same way as a flu vaccine.

The Real Maroonblood
Just now, Ainsley Harriott said:

Worst case scenario is it doesn't stop you contracting covid. I cant see us growing extra toes or developing allergies it's made in the same way as a flu vaccine.

Positive thinking.👍

32 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

I was meant to have “ urgent “ referral to NHS which meant I should have been seen without two weeks . Never heard within two weeks so called them again and they said it wasn’t “ urgent urgent “ type !!!’ Needless to say I wasn’t happy . I contacted my msp as well as placing formal complaint . I had to go to private care last week cause I didn’t want to wait . Shocking state of affairs with Lothian NHS . Isn’t helped by the lies spun by Leitch and others saying the NHS is back up to speed . It’s not 

26 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

P.S. I need a pint.

Genuine question but what kind of timescale would you be happy with?  Another couple weeks? Couple months? A year?  

I like to think I have the average knowledge of vaccines as the next man (none) and the timescales don’t really mean anything to me.  

Just because some Karen on Facebook says this vaccine has been made ‘too quick’ doesn’t suddenly make me think yea that’s too fast.  

If it took another 6 months or something would that be alright?

Only 10 months to find a vaccine , on one hand delighted on the other ONLY 10 months to find a vaccine .

Wish they could do the same for cancer 

The Real Maroonblood
4 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

That’s really crap.

It’s also laughable that medical centres aren’t open properly for consultations.

Malinga the Swinga
7 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

Only 10 months to find a vaccine , on one hand delighted on the other ONLY 10 months to find a vaccine .

Wish they could do the same for cancer 

Unfortunately, cancer is a money making machine for some. Scientists may like to cure it, but not convinced giant pharmaceuticals are like minded. 

The Real Maroonblood
2 minutes ago, Shanks said:

Genuine question but what kind of timescale would you be happy with?  Another couple weeks? Couple months? A year?  

I like to think I have the average knowledge of vaccines as the next man (none) and the timescales don’t really mean anything to me.  

Just because some Karen on Facebook says this vaccine has been made ‘too quick’ doesn’t suddenly make me think yea that’s too fast.  

If it took another 6 months or something would that be alright?

Fair question.

I’m the same as you no knowledge on these things.

It’s just research on these things take a long time.

Malinga the Swinga
27 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Bannermans bar is in trouble due to the SG never-ending lockdown of Edinburgh hospitality:

https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/news/edinburgh-news/iconic-edinburgh-venue-bannermans-launch-19381851

I read that opposition Edinburgh councillors raised the tiering situation yesterday. No chance our council leaders will complain as their loyalties lie, not with Edinburgh residents, but with their party and its leaders. 

14 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

That’s really crap.

It’s also laughable that medical centres aren’t open properly for consultations.

Yes how can they replace face to face referalls with telephone calls ? Some things need physically seen or examined by GPs 

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic