Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

17 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Are supermarkets not about the only thing still open in England, other than schools?

Jist about it, take aways are open.

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Ray Gin said:

Right enough, didn't see the link with the list. Seems strange if that's for the w/c 9 November. 

🤷‍♂️

Remember that is tested positive that week so the track and trace would be for the week or two before it

Pasquale for King
11 minutes ago, OmiyaHearts said:

I agree with her. There is one guy who refuses to wear a mask because of 'asthma', he then sits outside and smokes 2 or 3 cigarettes with his coffee. 

My wife is a hugely successful Store Manager and Barista, been doing for over 15 years. You don't get to her position by being a dick to customers. But if people want to be arsey and put her health at increased risk, they should consider themselves lucky they even get a coffee. If you took the amount of abuse from anti-maskers as she does, maybe you'd also treat them with the distain they deserve.

If someone has a lanyard advising they are exempt, they're treated like a valued customer. If you want good service, act like a decent human being.

The bit in bold is just a complete lie. No idea where you got that from.

Spot on. 

2 minutes ago, OmiyaHearts said:

You don't need to tell me. I think there's a bit of covid fatigue creeping in now though. As most people were compliant and a bit more friendly earlier in the year.

Workers are fed up enforcing the track n trace etc and everything else that goes with it, and customers are fed up scanning stuff, giving details and having to listen to two minutes of instructions before getting their drink.

Yeah I feel the Covid fatigue. It’s been a long haul. No need to be rude though, especially when you’re out for food or drink. Was in M&S cafe the other week and two old woman bickering with the girl telling them to stand behind the social distancing line in the queue. Grinds my gears seeing people arguing with folk asking politely for them to stick to the rules Going out, even for coffee breaks the monotony though. 

Just now, jonesy said:

Disappointing use of dark red - some might say maroon - to indicate CV19 hotspots, while green is used to indicate places that are relatively virus-free. :( Sort it out, Red.

Who's "top" of the table? Who's "bottom"? ;) I like seeing a table with maroon at the top and green at the bottom. So sue me.

Brighton Jambo
3 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

You’re a bit clueless aren’t you, there’s been little cases in schools thankfully and the risk at Xmas is with adults mixing from different households. Your view around Xmas is different to almost everyone’s thoughts on the subject. 

The ban is about stopping transmission of a deadly disease that’s killed over 5k Scots so far. People are rightly frustrated, most with people who can’t understand basic instructions and adherence to regulations that has helped the virus spread again. 

Nah not clueless just not as enslaved to mainstream media messaging as you are and able to think for myself.  

Not only will there not be any of the mixing of school kids but there also will be far less people at work over that period.  

if you note in my message that I also assume households only mix with one or two other households I fully believe the reduction in cases associated with no transmission in schools/workplaces will offset limited household mixing.  

Right now I estimate my interactions with other families via school and by being in work runs to dozens if not hundreds per week.  Over Xmas it will be one - my parents.  Not rocket science is it? 

Edited by Brighton Jambo

22 minutes ago, OmiyaHearts said:

I agree with her. There is one guy who refuses to wear a mask because of 'asthma', he then sits outside and smokes 2 or 3 cigarettes with his coffee. 

My wife is a hugely successful Store Manager and Barista, been doing for over 15 years. You don't get to her position by being a dick to customers. But if people want to be arsey and put her health at increased risk, they should consider themselves lucky they even get a coffee. If you took the amount of abuse from anti-maskers as she does, maybe you'd also treat them with the distain they deserve.

If someone has a lanyard advising they are exempt, they're treated like a valued customer. If you want good service, act like a decent human being.

People who don't or won't wear a mask are just looking to cause bother. Karma will tap them on the shoulder and a big psychotic ex sas vet will be behind them in the queue and will tie them up like Laurel and Hardy. 

Just put a mask on a follow the instructions and everyone can get on with their day. Ya bunch of fecking twits. 

Just now, jonesy said:

:) Happy go lucky kind of guy, you are.

I don't like bullies, bud. Especially big hardmen who think the can intimidate women. Other than that, I'm pretty laid back. I have mellowed in my auld age. I used to speak my mind, now I bite my tongue until it bleeds, then it's whirligig time. 

5 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Of course, there's always the risk that the vaccine has some unforeseen side effect. The oldies will keel over, while all the healthcare professionals get wiped out, too. Scotland to look like something out of Mad Max by about April.

Never been to Whitburn then?

4 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Agreed re bullies. But don't put all non-mask wearers in the same boat. Some folk genuinely struggle and shouldn't be prevented from attempting to live their lives while observing the other rules.

That's totally different. My son has an badge exemption with asthma, but still wears it, to protect others. 

He was shielded for months, so he's really high risk with ashma and other illnesses he has. But he's a gentleman who thinks of others, and I'm proud of him for the way he puts himself under stress to help beat this shit. 

Edited by ri Alban

Seymour M Hersh
1 hour ago, Lord BJ said:

Supermarkets most common place to get COVID in England according to data.

Was that data from Wikipedia? 

Just now, weehammy said:

I believe she received a caution. 5 years community service would have been more appropriate.

Caution, is that the same as being booked. Is booked by the Polis still a thing? :D

30 minutes ago, OmiyaHearts said:

Great news about the vaccine. A wee bit of hope can go a long way.

Looking very much like that's 3 now, quite probably be around about 4 to 6 viable vaccines in the next few months.

Just goes to show what can be achieved when no limit of money and resources are flung at something.

Moving forward post-covid, just imagine what could be achieved if the World also flung money and resources at Cancer, Heart Disease, Diabetes, Alzheimer's etc etc.

1 minute ago, weehammy said:

I believe she received a caution. 5 years community service would have been more appropriate.

Hammy, that witch should be publicly shamed for that performance. 

1 minute ago, weehammy said:

Fortunately, self-absorbed clowns like that are a *tiny minority. Sometimes see a kid having a total tantrum and being indulged by a smiling parent. I always wonder what kind of adult that kid will grow into.

Thankfully, indeed . 👍

3 minutes ago, weehammy said:

Fortunately, self-absorbed clowns like that are a tiny minority. Sometimes see a kid having a total tantrum and being indulged by a smiling parent. I always wonder what kind of adult that kid will grow into.

Sometimes that kid having a tantrum will be on the autism spectrum and have no control of their emotions, unless you've been in the parent's situation I would be hesitant to judge.

Nucky Thompson
8 minutes ago, graygo said:

Sometimes that kid having a tantrum will be on the autism spectrum and have no control of their emotions, unless you've been in the parent's situation I would be hesitant to judge.

I was just about to post the same thing

45 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Yes voter in 2014 and would be a yes voter again in a future indy ref. Still think Sturgeon is a nasty piece 

32 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

I don't like bullies, bud. Especially big hardmen who think the can intimidate women. Other than that, I'm pretty laid back. I have mellowed in my auld age. I used to speak my mind, now I bite my tongue until it bleeds, then it's whirligig time. 

And this is you “ mellow “ oooft 

12 minutes ago, graygo said:

Exactly . No one knows other people’s personal situation so need to display some empathy . It’s sadly lacking from various posters on this . 

MoncurMacdonaldMercer

what’s going to happen next year with regards to the 10s of thousands vulnerable to flu etc

we continuing with social distancing and lockdown measures etc or are they just gonna be left to take their chances?

seems all these measures “suppress” the virus and given flu etc can be pinpointed to a number of key months surely this will be under consideration

10 minutes ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

what’s going to happen next year with regards to the 10s of thousands vulnerable to flu etc

we continuing with social distancing and lockdown measures etc or are they just gonna be left to take their chances?

seems all these measures “suppress” the virus and given flu etc can be pinpointed to a number of key months surely this will be under consideration

Provided Covid is under control, it'll be the same as any other year, we'll get the flu jab and do what we've always done, get on with our lives.

20 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Exactly . No one knows other people’s personal situation so need to display some empathy . It’s sadly lacking from various posters on this . 

The same thing could be said about shop or cafe staff.  Visitors to places never know the personal situations of workers.  Looking after elderly or vulnerable relatives,  etc.  I think these workers deserve empathy from everyone visiting their workplace.  

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Brighton Jambo said:

Nah not clueless just not as enslaved to mainstream media messaging as you are and able to think for myself.  

Not only will there not be any of the mixing of school kids but there also will be far less people at work over that period.  

if you note in my message that I also assume households only mix with one or two other households I fully believe the reduction in cases associated with no transmission in schools/workplaces will offset limited household mixing.  

Right now I estimate my interactions with other families via school and by being in work runs to dozens if not hundreds per week.  Over Xmas it will be one - my parents.  Not rocket science is it? 

I’m not enslaved to anyone or the MSM thanks, unlike most on this thread I do believe and trust what scientists like Devi Schridnar are telling us. 
Im happy for you that you’re only going to be in contact with one household over Xmas, it’ll be two for me but for many others it will be multiple households and as the experts are indicating this will be a time where the virus is transmitted it will be make January worse unfortunately.
Thankfully the schools haven’t been quite the breeding grounds they’ve been made out to be. 

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
10 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Provided Covid is under control, it'll be the same as any other year, we'll get the flu jab and do what we've always done, get on with our lives.

we have very reliable mature data on the flu and the like - we know that the jab does not protect a proportion of those at risk as 10s of 1000s die every year

we know how this plays out with great confidence - we also know how it’s transmitted - someone goes to work feeling a bit under the weather gives it to a colleague who then visits their vulnerable grand-parent who subsequently dies

we know all these things will (pragmatically) happen - are we going to go back to just letting a proportion of our elderly and vulnerable die or have we learned something this year? I can’t imagine we’ll just go yes that was one-off we accept 20000 people may die this winter (2021) a significant proportion of them we could have saved 

would you find that acceptable?

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Brighton Jambo said:

I’m not enslaved to anyone or the MSM thanks, unlike most on this thread I do believe and trust what scientists like Devi Schridnar are telling us. 
Im happy for you that you’re only going to be in contact with one household over Xmas, it’ll be two for me but for many others it will be multiple households and as the experts are indicating this will be a time where the virus is transmitted it will be make January worse unfortunately.
Thankfully the schools haven’t been quite the breeding grounds they’ve been made out to be. 

34 minutes ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

we have very reliable mature data on the flu and the like - we know that the jab does not protect a proportion of those at risk as 10s of 1000s die every year

we know how this plays out with great confidence - we also know how it’s transmitted - someone goes to work feeling a bit under the weather gives it to a colleague who then visits their vulnerable grand-parent who subsequently dies

we know all these things will (pragmatically) happen - are we going to go back to just letting a proportion of our elderly and vulnerable die or have we learned something this year? I can’t imagine we’ll just go yes that was one-off we accept 20000 people may die this winter (2021) a significant proportion of them we could have saved 

would you find that acceptable?

Sounds like you want to lock-down every year over the winter flu months, if I'm reading this right.

43 minutes ago, Victorian said:

**** me.  Now the target seems to be to vaccinate every adult by spring.  Bold stuff.

Aye right. I'm still waiting for my flu vaccine!

1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

I'm 47 now. When I was younger I was a bit... The Mrs mellow me out. 

Ok I believe you 😂

1 hour ago, Victorian said:

The same thing could be said about shop or cafe staff.  Visitors to places never know the personal situations of workers.  Looking after elderly or vulnerable relatives,  etc.  I think these workers deserve empathy from everyone visiting their workplace.  

That’s true . 

Governor Tarkin
53 minutes ago, Victorian said:

**** me.  Now the target seems to be to vaccinate every adult by spring.  Bold stuff.

It certainly is. Who knows, going public with a target like that might even help with compliance over the next few months.

BBC documentary series called Hospital on iPlayer. Really interesting, filming starts after the first wave of coronavirus. Essential viewing for anyone interested in how the NHS is coping, gives way more insight than mere statistics. 

1 minute ago, Governor Tarkin said:

It certainly is. Who knows, going public with a target like that might even help with compliance over the next few months.

I was just wondering about that.

Artificially ambitious target date to shorten the perceived time we have to go before we see the end?   Maybe something from the behavioural boffins to help compliance?

I would have thought that setting yourself a really high bar to clear would be a bit risky.  If things go awry then the targets might be missed quite badly and they'll be liable to severe criticism.  I would have thought that a bit of wiggle room would be built into the timetable.

4.5m by spring.  Spring could mean end of May.  Just over 6 months so maybe it can be achieved,  depending on the vaccine stocks arriving in time.

1 hour ago, Victorian said:

Superb. Amazing if we manage this. 

Malinga the Swinga
57 minutes ago, Victorian said:

I don't understand all of the fiddling that will be going on behind the scenes, but I guess we will be receiving a percentage of the UK's allocation. If that is the case, then are we assuming that all 4 countries will be aiming for roughly same targets and timescales? 

If so, then do we congratulate all of them for reaching targets or just the one we favour. 

Have no idea if these targets are feasible, if the army will need to assist or how they will do this, but in the end, all that matters is safely vaccinating the public. 

Good luck to all involved, regardless of political persuasion. They will need it. 

3 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Superb. Amazing if we manage this. 

Right now I would view half of that number by spring would be a huge leap forward.  That would clobber the infectiousness of the virus,  if these vaccines do indeed stop transmission (not known yet).  There's a very high chance it will stop transmission.  

****ing good times ahead I reckon.

4 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

I don't understand all of the fiddling that will be going on behind the scenes, but I guess we will be receiving a percentage of the UK's allocation. If that is the case, then are we assuming that all 4 countries will be aiming for roughly same targets and timescales? 

If so, then do we congratulate all of them for reaching targets or just the one we favour. 

Have no idea if these targets are feasible, if the army will need to assist or how they will do this, but in the end, all that matters is safely vaccinating the public. 

Good luck to all involved, regardless of political persuasion. They will need it. 

Yep.  Good luck to them all.  It's pretty much already been guaranteed that every region will receive equal share.  

Edited by Victorian

2 hours ago, OmiyaHearts said:

Yeah only good people get into management and shops dont rely on customers money to stay a float. If someone is exempt and smokes what does it matter to you? They arent anything to do with you or your wife he was just someone wanting a coffee and he's treated like shit. Plenty asthmatics smoke no one gave a shit about them before. How would someone be classed as a decent human being in your wife's shop? Are they all treated with distain until she deems them good enough? I like going for a coffee now and again and from now on I will give Nero a swerve.

If Scotland  is aiming to vaccinate the whole adult population  by spring, I assume that means the whole UK population will also be done. 

That would be a massive achievement 

8 minutes ago, Fun Boaby said:

If Scotland  is aiming to vaccinate the whole adult population  by spring, I assume that means the whole UK population will also be done. 

That would be a massive achievement 

Not necessarily.  It could be that Scotland is at a bit of an advantage over England when it comes to it's geography and distribution of most of the population.   Most of the population is located in a limited number of regions.  It could be much easier to do it here.

30 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Right now I would view half of that number by spring would be a huge leap forward.  That would clobber the infectiousness of the virus,  if these vaccines do indeed stop transmission (not known yet).  There's a very high chance it will stop transmission.  

****ing good times ahead I reckon.

Not following the bit in bold.

Edited by graygo

1 minute ago, Victorian said:

Not necessarily.  It could be that Scotland is at a bit of an advantage over England when it comes to it's geography and distribution of most of the population.   Most of the population is located in a limited number of regions.  It could be much easier to do it here.

But surely its a UK wide programme where its administered by category of vulnerability?

2 minutes ago, graygo said:

Not following the bit in bold.

They know it protects the vaccinated person.  Prevention of onward transmission is completely unknown so far.  If it doesn't stop transmission then the vaccine only really protects each individual.  If it also prevents virus transmitting from a vaccinated and protected person then we're golden.

3 minutes ago, Fun Boaby said:

But surely its a UK wide programme where its administered by category of vulnerability?

Yes.  Regions will get a per capita share of vaccine but the devolved administrations will distribute within their remits.  I think distribution and roll-out might be easier in Scotland than it will be in England.  

Just now, Victorian said:

Yes.  Regions will get a per capita share of vaccine but the devolved administrations will distribute within their remits.  I think distribution and roll-out might be easier in Scotland than it will be in England.  

Perhaps. Just doesn't seem fair that someone more vulnerable will have to wait whilst someone less vulnerable is vaccinated due to lucky geography

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
1 hour ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Sounds like you want to lock-down every year over the winter flu months, if I'm reading this right.

dont really want to but is it not about saving lives - is that not what we’re doing now?

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic