Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

But it’s the same everywhere and being on a plane for hours with folk that haven’t been tested isn’t on my list of things to do anytime soon. 
I can’t see a u turn happening but who knows. 

There are countries with far more relaxed restrictions than here that’ll allow people more leeway to enjoy themselves and perhaps get some sunshine. Certainly better than the grim existence we find ourselves in here.

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Pasquale for King
40 minutes ago, graygo said:

Now the personal abuse, usually means you've lost the argument. Normally down to a lack of vocabulary.

It's bollocks because there is no law preventing anyone traveling to the airport now and there won't be one after Friday no matter how many times you quote this phrase "So can’t make it illegal to fly so make it illegal to go to the airport instead"

My vocabulary is wonderful thanks, a university education gives you that. My frustration at how pedantic and incapable of taking in basic facts when their presented to you always get the better of me eventually. Report it, they might ban me from this moon howling thread 🙏🤞

Edited by Pasquale for King

Pasquale for King
37 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Mods, perhaps a circuit breaker for this thread is required?

Grass, after the things you’ve said about Sturgeon you go shouting for the mods 🙈

How can you say there’s not a law then say there is? 
Ive been talking about the law being brought in on Friday banning folk who want to fly out, from Edinburgh and every other tier 3/4 area. 
Why would anyone else want to go there for any reason bar testing or work? But they can. 
As for it being ridiculous how do you think the virus got here? Places that have restricted travel in and out have fared better than the U.K. I would actually say they should’ve stopped international travel in and out from April to be honest, this law should’ve been brought in earlier. 

There isn't a law banning travel to the airport, I've never said there is or will be. You can travel to the airport as long as you're not intending to fly. Why would anyone want to go if not for work or testing? Plane spotters maybe, picking someone up?

Yes some places that have restricted travel in and out have done better than the UK, some places that haven't had as much restrictions have done better than us too. Have you seen how high up the "bad list" we are? Most countries have fared better.

As to your last point, yes international travel bans might have been better done early, possibly earlier than the April you suggest however, that would have been against WHO advice and would also be a decision for that place down in London.

Pasquale for King
4 minutes ago, SteauaNeedarest said:

There are countries with far more relaxed restrictions than here that’ll allow people more leeway to enjoy themselves and perhaps get some sunshine. Certainly better than the grim existence we find ourselves in here.

Would you fly if you could in a plane full of untested strangers?

3 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

My vocabulary is wonderful thanks, a university education gives you that. My frustration at how pedantic and incapable of taking in basic facts when their presented to you always get the better of me eventually. 

I'll get you to explain the difference between basic facts and pedantry to me one day. That'll be an eye-opener.

If the plane is full then obviously some people don't have an issue with it.

Just now, Pasquale for King said:

Guy a couple of pages back going over to Tenerife for 3 months. All the people on that plane must have proof they have been tested before they can  enter the country 

Waking up in the morning to sit out in the sun and have a coffee then go a nice walk in the sun or waking up in the dark to put the heating on and watch tv again.  I know where I’d rather be 

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, graygo said:

There isn't a law banning travel to the airport, I've never said there is or will be. You can travel to the airport as long as you're not intending to fly. Why would anyone want to go if not for work or testing? Plane spotters maybe, picking someone up?

Yes some places that have restricted travel in and out have done better than the UK, some places that haven't had as much restrictions have done better than us too. Have you seen how high up the "bad list" we are? Most countries have fared better.

As to your last point, yes international travel bans might have been better done early, possibly earlier than the April you suggest however, that would have been against WHO advice and would also be a decision for that place down in London.

The law coming in on Friday bans travel to the airport with the intention of flying, what part of that can’t you get? 
What countries with less restrictions have fared better, don’t say Sweden ffs. 
I agree that the U.K. has fared extremely badly, mostly due to Westminster but the Scottish Government made mistakes too but usually admit it and change, not just change without taking any blame. 
WHO said travel bans and masks weren’t advisable, then changed their advice. 

Dagger Is Back
9 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

But it’s the same everywhere and being on a plane for hours with folk that haven’t been tested isn’t on my list of things to do anytime soon. 
I can’t see a u turn happening but who knows. 

And that PK is your personal choice and should be respected. There are lots of people for whom some time in the sun, despite restrictions at their place of arrival, is beneficial in terms of their mental and physical well being.

That however isn't the discussion here. We're in Edinburgh and our friends are in Midlothian, 10 minutes form us by car. We have a holiday booked to the Canaries next week, flying from my city airport which is less than 10 minutes away by taxi. They can travel to the airport and fly, we can't.

That's my reading. Abject apologies if I've read it wrongly but if I'm right, its beyond bizarre

Pasquale for King
4 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Just would be happy to see it all taken off the boil for a while. Some of my comments have been knee-jerk and in bad taste, I admit. As I'm sure would you about yours when you take a step back.

Hope everyone on here looks after themselves in whatever way they see fit. :) 

No need to take a step back to realise my posts are unnecessarily aggressive and crass, that’s my frustration at the nonsense I read on this thread especially. I don’t think that would change if the thread was closed though.
We are all acting slightly differently at this point in time perhaps. 

8 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Well if you’re flying to Canaries you have to have a negative test within 72 hours (correct me if I’m wrong) before flying so yes I’d go with that given I travelled to Bologna in August. Unsure what Dubai rules are.

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, Dagger Is Back said:

And that PK is your personal choice and should be respected. There are lots of people for whom some time in the sun, despite restrictions at their place of arrival, is beneficial in terms of their mental and physical well being.

That however isn't the discussion here. We're in Edinburgh and our friends are in Midlothian, 10 minutes form us by car. We have a holiday booked to the Canaries next week, flying from my city airport which is less than 10 minutes away by taxi. They can travel to the airport and fly, we can't.

That's my reading. Abject apologies if I've read it wrongly but if I'm right, its beyond bizarre

Agreed, I’m out in the sun at every opportunity and a holiday would be great, but I’m not that good a swimmer 😜
When it’s put like that it does sound bizarre, but that’s where we are and why should folk in an area that’s doing  the right things suffer. How many on here moaned about being in the same tier as Glasgow, something’s not right west of Edinburgh and it needs to change. 

Dennis Reynolds
1 minute ago, SteauaNeedarest said:

Well if you’re flying to Canaries you have to have a negative test within 72 hours (correct me if I’m wrong) before flying so yes I’d go with that given I travelled to Bologna in August. Unsure what Dubai rules are.

You need a negative test for Dubai as well. You also need to download their app when you arrive and have valid medical insurance. They're very strict over there and will quarantine you for 14 days if you don't comply then send you the bill. A colleague was over there for work recently. Lovely but wearing a mask in that heat sounded like torture.

Pasquale for King
5 minutes ago, SteauaNeedarest said:

I don’t think everywhere is like that though, you could also contract it in those days after your test. Or you could catch it there and bring it back, like when it all started. In my opinion it should be banned until numbers go down again. 

Edited by Pasquale for King

Dagger Is Back

Agreed, I’m out in the sun at every opportunity and a holiday would be great, but I’m not that good a swimmer 😜
When it’s put like that it does sound bizarre, but that’s where we are and why should folk in an area that’s doing  the right things suffer. How many on here moaned about being in the same tier as Glasgow, something’s not right west of Edinburgh and it needs to change. 

Ha ha nice reply.

We'll see what tomorrow brings but glad you agree it sounds bizarre. Like everyone my head feels like mush sometimes with all that's going on and you start to doubt yourself.

Pasquale for King
11 minutes ago, theshed said:

Guy a couple of pages back going over to Tenerife for 3 months. All the people on that plane must have proof they have been tested before they can  enter the country 

Waking up in the morning to sit out in the sun and have a coffee then go a nice walk in the sun or waking up in the dark to put the heating on and watch tv again.  I know where I’d rather be 

Yeah and then how many folk do you come into contact with after your test? I get the reason I just think it needs to be knocked on the head until we get on top of the virus again. 

4 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

I don’t think everywhere is like that though, you could also contract it in those days after your test. Or you could catch it there and bring it back, like when it all started. In my opinion it should be banned until numbers go down again. 

Fair enough, everyone’s entitled to their opinion. I disagree and if international travel remains an option people shouldn’t be vilified for choosing to go away. It’s been a horrendous year so fair play to those who are trying to make the most of it.

2 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

The law coming in on Friday bans travel to the airport with the intention of flying, what part of that can’t you get? 
What countries with less restrictions have fared better, don’t say Sweden ffs. 
I agree that the U.K. has fared extremely badly, mostly due to Westminster but the Scottish Government made mistakes too but usually admit it and change, not just change without taking any blame. 
WHO said travel bans and masks weren’t advisable, then changed their advice. 

I get it, in fact have a look over the past 2 or 3 pages where you'll see I've repeatedly said it.

There are very few countries who have fared worse than us, do you think we had less restrictions than all of them? How about Poland and Turkey as a starter.

Yes WHO advised against travel bans back in April, that's what I said.  

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, Dagger Is Back said:

Ha ha nice reply.

We'll see what tomorrow brings but glad you agree it sounds bizarre. Like everyone my head feels like mush sometimes with all that's going on and you start to doubt yourself.

Everything is bizarre and agreed about our heads being mush, but I’m not sure if that’s a new phenomenon for me 🤔

9 minutes ago, Dagger Is Back said:

Ha ha nice reply.

Dammit, 4 times I asked him if it was ridiculous when the word I should have used was bizarre. Could have saved a whole lot of nonsense.

Anyway, stay safe everyone. 👍

Edited by graygo

Dagger Is Back
4 minutes ago, graygo said:

Dammit, 4 times I asked him if it was ridiculous when the word I should have used was bizarre. Could have saved a whole lot of nonsense.

You too matey. 

Pasquale for King
12 minutes ago, graygo said:

I get it, in fact have a look over the past 2 or 3 pages where you'll see I've repeatedly said it.

There are very few countries who have fared worse than us, do you think we had less restrictions than all of them? How about Poland and Turkey as a starter.

Yes WHO advised against travel bans back in April, that's what I said.  

I asked who had less restrictions than us, you said some have had less and fared better, who?  Have others had stricter restrictions and fared well, yes which is what I advocated.  I agree that few have fared worse, the US and Brazil to be precise who have just as bad leaders as the U.K. and the same restrictions. I don’t think anyone has had less restrictions than us and fared worse? Sweden had less and have now accepted they were wrong. 
Not that up to date with Poland and Turkey, I see Poland had an immediate travel ban and that Turkey is on the list of places not to go to.

Pasquale for King
7 minutes ago, graygo said:

It seems ridiculous when it’s said out loud but it’s totally understandable when the facts are laid out in the situation we are in. 
Stay safe, or alert or in space and wash your hands. Oh and stay away from Glasgow, at all times bar Hearts games. 

I asked who had less restrictions than us, you said some have had less and fared better, who?  I gave you 2 examples Poland and Turkey. Have others had stricter restrictions and fared well, yes which is what I advocated.  I agree that few have fared worse, the US and Brazil to be precise who have just as bad leaders as the U.K. and the same restrictions. I don’t think anyone has had less restrictions than us and fared worse? Sweden had less and have now accepted they were wrong. 
Not that up to date with Poland and Turkey, I see Poland had an immediate travel ban and that Turkey is on the list of places not to go to.

Why are you mentioning Sweden? You told me not to.

Poland and Turkey have both fared better than us no matter how you measure it and although both have had restrictions they were not as wide ranging as ours. I must have missed Poland's immediate travel ban when I was there in August.

6 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

It seems ridiculous when it’s said out loud but it’s totally understandable when the facts are laid out in the situation we are in. 
Stay safe, or alert or in space and wash your hands. Oh and stay away from Glasgow, at all times bar Hearts games. 

Look mate, I kind of agree that it's understandable. My whole argument has been that they just can't do it while Westminster makes those rules and they have tried to find a loophole to stop people traveling and it's basically making them look stupid.

2 hours ago, jonesy said:

Tempted to book a trip to the Canaries this Christmas to go see my mate over there. Just toss an extra £30 at whichever twit tries to restrict my movements at the Maybury junction or wherever they're going to be attempting to police this. 

Lol ! 

2 hours ago, jonesy said:

All good here. Nice family dinner tonight. Went to Fife last weekend - not sure if that was allowed or not? Currently planning Christmas hillwalking. Plenty of Munros on offer all over the country and fewer trudgers getting in the way than previous years.

:alucard:

Hope all's well with you and yours, Guv.

Get yourself to Aviemore it’s great there mate 

1 hour ago, graygo said:

Again.   Anyone who lives in Edinburgh can travel to Edinburgh airport on Friday and no law will have been broken. You are not breaking the law by getting on a plane at Edinburgh airport on Friday.

The SG are bringing out a law to say that you can't to the airport if you live in Edinburgh with the intention of getting on a plane.

I've no idea how you can't view that as ridiculous.

You're turning into that bloke from Hamilton.

Dare I ask what has happened to him ???? ( the bloke from Hamilton ! ) 

3 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Dare I ask what has happened to him ???? ( the bloke from Hamilton ! ) 

I think the thread finally broke the poor sod, reckon I'm next. ☹️

2 minutes ago, graygo said:

I think the thread finally broke the poor sod, reckon I'm next. ☹️

No please no u ! I enjoy your postings !👍👍👍 maybe Hamilton was a bot as he / she repeated the same things everyday 😂

Pasquale for King
19 minutes ago, graygo said:

Why are you mentioning Sweden? You told me not to.

Poland and Turkey have both fared better than us no matter how you measure it and although both have had restrictions they were not as wide ranging as ours. I must have missed Poland's immediate travel ban when I was there in August.

You know immediate means don’t you, they had a travel ban right away in March where only people with Polish origins got in or out. For two weeks, you didn’t know that did you yet you’re saying they had less restrictions, that two week ban is more than the UK did. 
Turkey now has a weekend curfew, again that’s harsher than the U.K. whilst they’re back in lockdown. 
Any other countries with these alleged lax restrictions? 
https://tr.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information-2/

Pasquale for King
11 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Get yourself to Aviemore it’s great there mate 

He got sick of your blatant disregard for the laws of the land at this time which go against this sites rules also, and are part of the reason the country has all these restrictions that people think it’s ok to break.  

2 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Sounds good, James. Only problem is I get bored driving. Might hire a private plane to head up there.

😁

Well as long as you set off on the plane from your back green mate u can’t go from Edinburgh airport 😂

2 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

if you think they’re lying you have no real way of asking or knowing for sure, you can’t then refuse to serve them as that’s seen as discrimination. 

It said refusal cannot be on discriminatory grounds which are protected under Equality Act 2010.

That act protects things like sexual orientation, race, sex etc. I'd be surprised if wearing masks was mentioned.

If you decide to refuse service to everyone wearing a hat today it's discrimination by the definition of the word, but it isn't illegal discrimination by the terms of that act, and that's where I suspect the law is with masks- you have the right to refuse service to anyone, masked or otherwise 

8 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

You know immediate means don’t you, they had a travel ban right away in March where only people with Polish origins got in or out. For two weeks, you didn’t know that did you yet you’re saying they had less restrictions, that two week ban is more than the UK did. 
Turkey now has a weekend curfew, again that’s harsher than the U.K. whilst they’re back in lockdown. 

I think the point others are trying to make is  is it actually legal that the govt can enforce a ban on people leaving the country ??? It’s the principle 

Just now, jonesy said:

It's okay, I know a guy. Runs his flights out of a wee private airstrip through Glasgow way. :plane:

Yeah but you will have to do it by Friday as Glasgow will be in diffferent tier by then ! 👍

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, Smithee said:

It said refusal cannot be on discriminatory grounds which are protected under Equality Act 2010.

That act protects things like sexual orientation, race, sex etc. I'd be surprised if wearing masks was mentioned.

If you decide to refuse service to everyone wearing a hat today it's discrimination by the definition of the word, but it isn't illegal discrimination by the terms of that act, and that's where I suspect the law is with masks- you have the right to refuse service to anyone, masked or otherwise 

Personally I would refuse them no matter what but lying about being exempt would leave me open to complaints, but if one was English, or they were students, or hibbies I would be also liable to a claim I discriminated against them. I have in the past and will again. My boss usually backs me up. 

Pasquale for King
6 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

I think the point others are trying to make is  is it actually legal that the govt can enforce a ban on people leaving the country ??? It’s the principle 

Yes it’s legal other countries have done it. The principle is to stop the virus spreading. 

Pasquale for King
13 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Sounds good, James. Only problem is I get bored driving. Might hire a private plane to head up there.

😁

It was you, hate Neilson too 😱

2 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

We're about 8 months into this pandemic, I'll base my views on the level of restrictions over that period and not just the first or last 2 weeks thanks. I can fly from Edinburgh to Poland next week and not need to self isolate when I get there but would need to self isolate here on my return, yet they are doing better than us.

It's a bit disingenuous to claim that Turkey has a weekend curfew, it is from Sat 8pm to Sunday 10am then from Sunday 8pm to 5am on Monday. How is that harsher than the UK when about 90% of the UK is in lockdown? Oh and it doesn't apply to foreign tourists.

I'm not going through the other 209 countries with a better death per million rate than the UK and seeing if some of them had less restrictions than us but I'd wager a lot of money that they exist.

Finland.

19 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Finland back up your thoughts.

Citizens of Finland always have the right to return to Finland, and everyone has the right to leave the country. The Government recommends avoiding unnecessary travel to countries other than those for which the restrictions on entry have been lifted.

Pasquale for King
6 minutes ago, graygo said:

We're about 8 months into this pandemic, I'll base my views on the level of restrictions over that period and not just the first or last 2 weeks thanks. I can fly from Edinburgh to Poland next week and not need to self isolate when I get there but would need to self isolate here on my return, yet they are doing better than us.

It's a bit disingenuous to claim that Turkey has a weekend curfew, it is from Sat 8pm to Sunday 10am then from Sunday 8pm to 5am on Monday. How is that harsher than the UK when about 90% of the UK is in lockdown? Oh and it doesn't apply to foreign tourists.

I'm not going through the other 209 countries with a better death per million rate than the UK and seeing if some of them had less restrictions than us but I'd wager a lot of money that they exist.

Finland.

Turkey is in full lockdown as well as the curfew, not 90%. 
The point is less restrictions than the U.K. doesn’t seem to the best way to deal with this. 
 You will breaking the law if you fly from Edinburgh to Poland next week 😱

Pasquale for King
6 minutes ago, graygo said:

Finland back up your thoughts.

Citizens of Finland always have the right to return to Finland, and everyone has the right to leave the country. The Government recommends avoiding unnecessary travel to countries other than those for which the restrictions on entry have been lifted.

Yes and Finland’s inhabitants probably can adhere to rules and recommendations and understand them too. 

10 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Turkey is in full lockdown as well as the curfew, not 90%. 
The point is less restrictions than the U.K. doesn’t seem to the best way to deal with this. 
 You will breaking the law if you fly from Edinburgh to Poland next week 😱

Turkey is not in full lockdown. Extra measures come into effect on Friday but does this sound like full lockdown?

"Shopping malls, supermarkets, barbers and hairdressers will only be open for service during the hours of 10:00-20:00"  

How will I be breaking the law flying to Poland next week? Not that I intend to.

13 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Yes and Finland’s inhabitants probably can adhere to rules and recommendations and understand them too. 

So what? That's a completely different point.

Pasquale for King
9 minutes ago, graygo said:

So what? That's a completely different point.

No it’s not, if people like James and others actually understood and adhered to the restrictions maybe they wouldn’t be on here whinging about them on a daily basis. 

No it’s not, if people like James and others actually understood and adhered to the restrictions maybe they wouldn’t be on here whinging about them on a daily basis. 

It was different from the point we were debating which was your assertion that no country had less restrictions than the UK and fared better.

Any closer to telling me how me going to Poland from Edinburgh next week would be breaking the law?

Pasquale for King
12 minutes ago, graygo said:

Turkey is not in full lockdown. Extra measures come into effect on Friday but does this sound like full lockdown?

"Shopping malls, supermarkets, barbers and hairdressers will only be open for service during the hours of 10:00-20:00"  

How will I be breaking the law flying to Poland next week? Not that I intend to.

If you live in a tier 3/4 area like Edinburgh for example and fly to Poland you will breaking the law won’t you? Yeah Turkey sounds really liberal. 

C0F330DF-EF38-47F4-B51F-F8D28C93E87B.jpeg

Pasquale for King
Just now, graygo said:

It was different from the point we were debating which was your assertion that no country had less restrictions than the UK and fared better.

Any closer to telling me how me going to Poland from Edinburgh next week would be breaking the law?

Finland is a brilliant place, one of the best to live in the world apparently. 
The majority of countries who have succeeded have stricter restrictions in the main. Like NZ or South Korea. 

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic