Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

Pasquale for King
6 hours ago, Smithee said:

I'm not disagreeing or otherwise tbh, just wondering about the thing you posted. 

From my understanding you could refuse to serve maskless people if you want. Asking about it is another matter, I wouldn't ask with a talking barge pole.

Yes as you said we can refuse anyone without giving a reason, and fo frequently it’s the fall out from it that can cause problems. 
The truth and cctv usually rides to the rescue. 
Mask wearing and other restrictions have just added another layer of problems, people rightly wondering why some aren’t wearing them etc. But we are where we are. 

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Pasquale for King
9 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

The Scottish Ministry of Public Enlightenment and Propaganda is very selective - didnt mention recent yougov poll where indy support down to 51% either 

18th poll in a row where support was over 50%, Unionists are rattled 😆

Pasquale for King
4 hours ago, graygo said:

Tourists can go into businesses that are open, shops, restaurants and the like are open all day pretty much all week. They aren't in much of the UK.

Quote me where I said England is 90% of the UK.

Scotland and NI tiers aren’t as severe as lockdown I’m afraid. 

4 hours ago, DETTY29 said:

As Finland has been noted - and Norway.  Graph is Norwegian.

Screenshot_20201119-080257_Twitter.jpg

It seems Finland isn’t as liberal as some were making out.

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-08-finland-imposes-europe-tightest-border.html

2 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

Thats tragic, give it time and they will be asking for your travel papers.

Oh that will come . We will need to have some form of ID stating where we live 

Dagger Is Back
5 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Oh that will come . We will need to have some form of ID stating where we live 

If you believe some, that chip is already part of the vaccine

1 hour ago, Brian Dundas said:

I don’t like the party politics of the virus, but thought I’d post this. 

those daily party political broadcasts must be working. 

Fundementally Sturgeon's approach to this has been very similar to Johnson's, albeit her presentation is rather more polished.

The SNP need to stop behaving like they are in opposition and stop this mindset of taking responsibility for things that go well but abdicating responsibility for things that do not go well. Covering up that infection in February is hardly competent, for a start.

Things could have been done better across the UK as a whole. I sympathise with anyone making those kinds of decisions because this is unprecedented and most of the criticism has been based on hindsight.

Edited by Nookie Bear

I’ve finally worked out how the stats work . She just said 10 or so less people in intensive care but 50 deaths . Therefore I assume that those 10 are so were in the deaths stats ? So naturally assume the other deaths were in other settings ? Such as old folks homes ? 

42 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

The BBC paid researchers to find out that Boris is disliked? Good use of the Licence fee.

More interesting that 38% of yes voters thought that the pandemic would have been handled the same or worse in an independent Scotland. The SNP communications officer didn't tweet that bit though.

The SG have certainly been more slick and clear in their presentation of the stats etc as evidenced in the daily briefings but still have a rotten tally of deaths per capita as England . It’s style over substance really . I wish NIcky would speak slower in these briefings esp when mentioning death stats as she seems almost robotic, cold and matter of fact at times . 

Dennis Reynolds
26 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Some vaccine roll-out details to be provided later by the SG.  

Health Secretary on at 2.25pm. Hopefully some more good news.

44 minutes ago, theshed said:

Been saying this for weeks Regards Christmas, government for weeks now keep telling us to behave and if we are lucky we can enjoy Christmas Day and Boxing Day then probably back to lockdown. 

I’m more than happy to give Christmas a miss if it meant somehow getting on top of this and things returning to some normality after the year 

As I said previous Christmas to me is about eating and drinking then same again on Boxing Day and not going over the front door 

So basically the same as I will be doing this weekend anyway just without the Queens speech 

They know that most people will pay a total disregard to the rules at Xmas time so trying to save face with tryin to control it by giving out sweeties about it . I’m not saying it’s right or wrong that they will but I’m guessing that January will be a pretty harsh month either way . 

10 minutes ago, Dagger Is Back said:

If you believe some, that chip is already part of the vaccine

I don’t subscribe to all that baloney but am concerned regarding any long term side effects of any such vaccine 

The Scottish numbers are definitely flattening or maybe even about to tip down.  Such a pity that all the UK gvts are essentially being bounced into this Christmas armistice.  Bounced by circumstances and timing,  not by people.  I wonder what the damage will be.

2 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

Last week 198 in Hospital, 78 in care homes and 8 at home. 

I think that is the with test and suspected numbers. 

Cheers 

4 minutes ago, LMc said:

Health Secretary on at 2.25pm. Hopefully some more good news.

It will be interesting to gauge how much of planning has been done and details firmed up.  Certainly nog expecting much but there may be an indication within whatever is said.

Dennis Reynolds
Just now, Victorian said:

It will be interesting to gauge how much of planning has been done and details firmed up.  Certainly nog expecting much but there may be an indication within whatever is said.

Certainly. I'm also interested to find out if this will be a four nation approach. As we've yet to hear anything from the UK government I'm assuming the SG might be setting up their own infrastructure and recieving a set amount to start off with. But will wait and see! 

Will probably just be the basics though.

Richard Leonard giving a heart breaking example of the new restrictions . A woman 38 , mother with children with terminal cancer having to clarify if she can go on holiday next week with her family ? She lives in fife and will break the law if she travels to Edinburgh next week . To be fair to NS she says she can travel due to compassionate grounds ! How nice of her 😪

Brighton Jambo
6 minutes ago, Victorian said:

The Scottish numbers are definitely flattening or maybe even about to tip down.  Such a pity that all the UK gvts are essentially being bounced into this Christmas armistice.  Bounced by circumstances and timing,  not by people.  I wonder what the damage will be.

I simply don’t get the fuss about the Xmas risk and I I think it is completely overhyped.

My son goes to Breakfast club where he mixes with a bunch of kids, he then goes to school where he mixes with a different bunch, he then goes to after school club with different kids again.  All the while my daughter is at nursery four days a week.

Come the Xmas period all that stops.  So rather than intermingling indirectly with goodness knows how many families my family will intermingle with one other family directly.  

The Xmas risk with hospitality hugely restricted is limited.  

Dagger Is Back
11 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

I don’t subscribe to all that baloney but am concerned regarding any long term side effects of any such vaccine 

Me neither and like you I'll have long term side effects in the back of my mind. Won't stop me taking the vaccine

Brighton Jambo
6 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Richard Leonard giving a heart breaking example of the new restrictions . A woman 38 , mother with children with terminal cancer having to clarify if she can go on holiday next week with her family ? She lives in fife and will break the law if she travels to Edinburgh next week . To be fair to NS she says she can travel due to compassionate grounds ! How nice of her 😪

It’s clear what they are doing with this travel to airport ban.  They are just waiting for someone to ask why they don’t just ban international travel so she can respond pointedly that she’s doesn’t have that power but in an Indy Scotland blah blah.  

it’s cynical in the extreme, it’s tiring and it’s totally transparent.  All the while ordinary people are confused and frustrated.  

Edited by Brighton Jambo

3 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

I simply don’t get the fuss about the Xmas risk and I I think it is completely overhyped.

My son goes to Breakfast club where he mixes with a bunch of kids, he then goes to school where he mixes with a different bunch, he then goes to after school club with different kids again.  All the while my daughter is at nursery four days a week.

Come the Xmas period all that stops.  So rather than intermingling indirectly with goodness knows how many families my family will intermingle with one other family directly.  

Never thought about that , 👌

Pasquale for King
3 hours ago, SE16 3LN said:

Poland also had their highest number of Covid deaths yesterday and the levels in Turkey are close to their previous peak and rising. When we have the virus behind us, when we know the economic impact and we know the damage in terms of neglecting other health issues, then and only then will we be able to judge the actions of govt's accurately. 

Thanks for that, I was answering someone who said they had more liberal restrictions than the U.K. and had fared better, unfortunately everyone seems to be going through the 2nd wave now as it was mentioned and refuted on this very thread. 

2 minutes ago, Dagger Is Back said:

Me neither and like you I'll have long term side effects in the back of my mind. Won't stop me taking the vaccine

If think very carefully about it to be honest . Any drugs pumped into ones system can have adverse and dangerous side effects 

Pasquale for King
4 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

You’re a bit clueless aren’t you, there’s been little cases in schools thankfully and the risk at Xmas is with adults mixing from different households. Your view around Xmas is different to almost everyone’s thoughts on the subject. 

4 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

It’s clear what they are doing with this travel to airport ban.  They are just waiting for someone to ask why they don’t just ban international travel so she can respond pointedly that she’s doesn’t have that power but in an Indy Scotland blah blah.  

it’s cynical in the extreme, it’s tiring and it’s totally transparent.  All the while ordinary people are confused and frustrated.  

The ban is about stopping transmission of a deadly disease that’s killed over 5k Scots so far. People are rightly frustrated, most with people who can’t understand basic instructions and adherence to regulations that has helped the virus spread again. 

1 hour ago, kila said:

Was hoping graygo would fill me in :laugh2:

Better that I fill this clown in.

International travel is not illegal, the Scottish government do not have the power to make it illegal.

1 hour ago, Brian Dundas said:

Why is it shambolic?

In Tiers 3/4 International travel is not permitted, in tiers 0/1/2 it is. Why people are getting their knickers in a twist about it I have no idea. 

Dagger Is Back
5 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

If think very carefully about it to be honest . Any drugs pumped into ones system can have adverse and dangerous side effects 

I hear you and you're right to be cautious. The question for individuals is better with or without 

Pasquale for King
27 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

The SG have certainly been more slick and clear in their presentation of the stats etc as evidenced in the daily briefings but still have a rotten tally of deaths per capita as England . It’s style over substance really . I wish NIcky would speak slower in these briefings esp when mentioning death stats as she seems almost robotic, cold and matter of fact at times . 

They’ve started putting graphics up of the numbers, I sometimes rewind the programme if I miss something important. 

49 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Yes as you said we can refuse anyone without giving a reason, and fo frequently it’s the fall out from it that can cause problems. 
The truth and cctv usually rides to the rescue. 
Mask wearing and other restrictions have just added another layer of problems, people rightly wondering why some aren’t wearing them etc. But we are where we are. 

My Mrs wanted to refuse service to non-maskers, no exceptions, but Nero weren't having it. Money comes before employees well-being. She just makes their whole coffee experience as unwelcome and uncomfortable as possible.

My local, when it was open, has a zero-tolerance approach. No mask and you weren't getting in, mask on whenever you left your table. 

Both Wife and pub landlord have the same opinion. If you can't wear a mask for two mins, you shouldn't be out for a pint or a coffee in a pandemic.

Pasquale for King
Just now, OmiyaHearts said:

My Mrs wanted to refuse service to non-maskers, no exceptions, but Nero weren't having it. Money comes before employees well-being. She just makes their whole coffee experience as unwelcome and uncomfortable as possible.

My local, when it was open, has a zero-tolerance approach. No mask and you weren't getting in, mask on whenever you left your table. 

Both Wife and pub landlord have the same opinion. If you can't wear a mask for two mins, you shouldn't be out for a pint or a coffee in a pandemic.

Totally agree with that, my boss allowed an 83yo with asthma not to wear one and a deaf guy 🤔. It was worse at the start but folk have adapted and realise what’s to be done, but as alcohol takes hold it’s easy to forget as I did it myself. It just feels like your constantly moaning at folk, even more so than normal in my case, and people obviously can take offence. 

7 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

You’re a bit clueless aren’t you, there’s been little cases in schools thankfully and the risk at Xmas is with adults mixing from different households. Your view around Xmas is different to almost everyone’s thoughts on the subject. 

The ban is about stopping transmission of a deadly disease that’s killed over 5k Scots so far. People are rightly frustrated, most with people who can’t understand basic instructions and adherence to regulations that has helped the virus spread again. 

There's currently 5,000 Glasgow pupils off school isolating and the teachers union is calling for remote learning to be introduced. Just about everyone I know who's tested positive got it from their kids.

Schools are rife with it.

51 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Scotland and NI tiers aren’t as severe as lockdown I’m afraid. 

It seems Finland isn’t as liberal as some were making out.

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-08-finland-imposes-europe-tightest-border.html

Yes, I'm pretty sure you are afraid that NI and Scotland are not in lockdown.

That's 3 months old, pretty sure we could find a similar report for most countries at some point. 

27 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Not just compassionate, she also stated she could travel legally.

Nucky Thompson
6 minutes ago, OmiyaHearts said:

There's currently 5,000 Glasgow pupils off school isolating and the teachers union is calling for remote learning to be introduced. Just about everyone I know who's tested positive got it from their kids.

1600 positive out of 700,000 pupils over the first 9 weeks of term. 

0.2% says it's certainly not rife 

18 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Thanks for that, I was answering someone who said they had more liberal restrictions than the U.K. and had fared better, unfortunately everyone seems to be going through the 2nd wave now as it was mentioned and refuted on this very thread. 

I think there is a tendency for some people to paint the UK in a worse light than the rest of Europe/the world. In fact, now the hysteria has rescinded somewhat, everybody is just trying to do the best they can. Sometimes I'm surprised at the decisions though, and on what evidence these decisions are made.

Funnily enough there are two separate guys who get on the bus I get to work who were non-wearers of masks but who now wear them.  It's heartening to see examples of people deciding to do the right thing.  Still getting a lot of non-wearers coming into work though.  

11 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

If our schools were a country they would have a worse infection rate per population than 92 other countries including Australia, Pakistan and Uruguay, just behind Finland and Turkey.

Edit: and that's in 9 weeks as you say.

Edited by graygo

4 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

If it’s in the guidelines for a Tier it’s not permitted, should not need to be made into law. 

Guidelines are just that, we can't stop you but gonnae no dae that. In other words, permitted.

Nucky Thompson
1 minute ago, graygo said:

If our schools were a country they would have a worse infection rate per population than 92 other countries including Australia, Pakistan and Uruguay, just behind Finland and Turkey.

0.2% of infections occurring in a large group sitting in confined classrooms for 6 hours a day doesn't seem to be a big problem.

23 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I can't believe they tested that many TBH.

8 minutes ago, graygo said:

No, it was a virus.

It was both. A virus combined with people ignoring the guidelines and rules about avoiding transmitting said virus. The human spirit of rebellion and pig-headedness is one of the reasons civilisation has come so far rather than remain stagnant, but it is one of its greatest weaknesses as well.

Pasquale for King
34 minutes ago, OmiyaHearts said:

Isolating slightly different from having it, surely if the schools were that bad they would be closed abs the press would be questioning Sturgeon on it? Teachers are in a unenviable position no doubt about that. 

2 minutes ago, redjambo said:

It was both. A virus combined with people ignoring the guidelines and rules about avoiding transmitting said virus. The human spirit of rebellion and pig-headedness is one of the reasons civilisation has come so far rather than remain stagnant, but it is one of its greatest weaknesses as well.

Doesn't detract from the fact that he was saying it wasn't allowed when it was just a guideline.

Government guidelines state that I should have 5 portions of fruit and veg a day but I can choose not to if I want.

If it's so important then legislate for it.

Pasquale for King
29 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

I think there is a tendency for some people to paint the UK in a worse light than the rest of Europe/the world. In fact, now the hysteria has rescinded somewhat, everybody is just trying to do the best they can. Sometimes I'm surprised at the decisions though, and on what evidence these decisions are made.

Doing the best they can, to line the pockets of friends and donors? The U.K. government wanted to let it run unchecked throughout the population to see if we could build up immunity. They have lied their way through this whole crisis and taken absolutely no responsibility for not banning international travel and schemes like eat out to help out which have exacerbated transmission of the virus. But hey look at that nippy Nicky the weegie nazi making us do stuff to stop the spread, I’m no doing that, she’s hopeless she can’t stop the virus spreading 🤷🏾‍♂️🤔🙈

Pasquale for King
9 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Spot on. 

Pasquale for King
24 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

That’s the attitude that has got us in the shit we are in now, in my view. 

Absolutely, then come on here and without a hint of irony or self awareness moan about the virus spreading. 

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic