• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• kingantti1874

• soonbe110

• mitch41

Alan Irvine being mentioned and linked on the BBC Scotland website. Quite possibly the worst manager ever in Sheffield Wednesday’s entire history. And there have been lots of bad ones.

It’s bizarre that we are interviewing guys like McCann. Why come out and state the high profile manager requirement then waste time interviewing guys who are miles off that? 

3 minutes ago, Mort said:

It’s bizarre that we are interviewing guys like McCann. Why come out and state the high profile manager requirement then waste time interviewing guys who are miles off that? 

Neil McCann is high profile is he not? Everyone in Scottish football knows who he is ...

Just now, Mr Elwood P said:

Neil McCann is high profile is he not? Everyone in Scottish football knows who he is ...

This is the issue. What is high profile? What is experienced? Folk saying guys like McCann and Robinson are not high profile or experienced. Everyone knows them and they have experience of managing in our league. 

6 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

She said a very experienced and high profile manager. McCann isn’t either of those.

High profile player in his day perhaps. 

2 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

This is the issue. What is high profile? What is experienced? Folk saying guys like McCann and Robinson are not high profile or experienced. Everyone knows them and they have experience of managing in our league. 

She said very experienced. McCann didn’t even last a season as a manager. 

2 hours ago, Italian Lambretta said:

Warnock is such a likeable character If he has indeed met ann budge today then i think the job will be his. 

I have faith Ann isn't recruiting the person she most wants to be friends with.

A manager from England with a ton of promotions and getting the best from an underpaid and underperforming team. Now that may convince her. He did say the only challenge that may tempt him is to break the old firm dominance. To get a manager that gets that is a big thing. I'm not 100% convinced he is our man though.

1 minute ago, Mort said:

She said very experienced. McCann didn’t even last a season as a manager. 

Aye but he’s experienced in Scottish football. Player, coach, manager and pundit. I’m not saying you’re wrong in any way. I just think what she said is open to interpretation. Given the supposed interviews we’ve had it does seem like her choice of words wasn’t great.

Bazzas right boot
3 hours ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Based on absolutely nothing but guess work

McPhee - Sporting Director

Warnock - Manager for 8-20 months

McCall - Assistant and progression to Manager if successful (Warnock was his manager for years at SU)

Naismith - gets his badges and moves on to AM when above progress

Ann likes her continuity plans

That's not bad. 

I'd ha e no issue with this. 

2 hours ago, Paolo said:

New entry to the Sky list:

Vincent Kompany 50/1

No chance.

Would be incredible if it happened though. Would still offer a lot if he played.

Tom Hardy’s Dug
5 hours ago, Victorian said:

I'm definitely aboard the Warnock bus.   Especially if it involves Naismith doing his coaching badges and apprenticeship over the next 3 years.

Warnock represents the ideal model of 'big name' manager.     Vast experience at high levels in England.     Genuine willingness to view Hearts as a different challenge.    Wont be trying to use it as a stepping stone.     Safe pair of hands,   without limited ideas.

Fully on board.

This.

The lowest risk/highest potential gain appointment we could get given the apparent options.

Edited by Tom Hardy’s Dug

14 minutes ago, Mort said:

She said a very experienced and high profile manager. McCann isn’t either of those.

High profile player in his day perhaps. 

He is high profile as everyone in Scottish football knows who he is. He is also experienced after being a manager at Dundee. Budge also said that MacPhee wasn’t ruled out and that she was in no rush! People take comments out of context and then get themselves all

upset and frustrated due to their misunderstanding!

1 minute ago, Jammy T said:

Anyone that would turn their nose up at Warnock is a complete throbber.

I really hope we get warnock I think he’s exactly what we need and as far as his age he’s still got the fire to want to win 

1 minute ago, Kyle1874 said:

I really hope we get warnock I think he’s exactly what we need and as far as his age he’s still got the fire to want to win 

He actively wants to go out and hunt the old firm down.

No-one else on the “known” list has that set of balls.

5 minutes ago, Jammy T said:

Anyone that would turn their nose up at Warnock is a complete throbber.

I include Budge in this - and as most people know I’ve been completely behind all of her decisions so far.

19 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

He is high profile as everyone in Scottish football knows who he is. He is also experienced after being a manager at Dundee. Budge also said that MacPhee wasn’t ruled out and that she was in no rush! People take comments out of context and then get themselves all

upset and frustrated due to their misunderstanding!

You seem to misunderstand the concept of experience.

That’s just the man we need am sick of us just rolling over to them in Glasgow a think he would install a lot of fight in the team and he will have lots of contacts in the game 

Alan Irvine is an absolute no. I see we are seeking permission for Robinson. I don't think he's the right man for the job and could potential be a costly mistake too (compensation would be required).

8 minutes ago, Jammy T said:

This is the crux of it for me and I wouldn't be against Austin as his assistant.

Guest ToqueJambo
29 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

This.

The lowest risk/highest potential gain appointment we could get given the apparent options.

I'm warming to the idea of Warnock now. I just assumed his style of football, dinosaur reputation and liking for big men up front were things Levein got castigated for so he wouldn't be a popular appointment. As a motivator he seems to have it and, most importantly, if he really does really want this challenge that would be a significant step up from Levein when he was originally appointed by Budge.

If he brings CP up with him, even better.

Captain Scarlett

Neil Warnock would be a waste of time.He’s never managed in Scotland knows nowt about the game up here Oh! and what has he won? Zilch. All he’s done is save clubs from relegation. Oh wait a minute might come in handy.C’mon Ann. Ffs we can recruit better.

Walter Bishop
1 minute ago, Captain Scarlett said:

Neil Warnock would be a waste of time.He’s never managed in Scotland knows nowt about the game up here Oh! and what has he won? Zilch. All he’s done is save clubs from relegation. Oh wait a minute might come in handy.C’mon Ann. Ffs we can recruit better.

He has won 8 promotions. 

5 minutes ago, Captain Scarlett said:

He won the Championship with QPR

13 minutes ago, Walter Bishop said:

He has won 8 promotions. 

Seriously, that’s impressive! As much as I like him and I think he would bring jack some fit and passion I think it’s 6/7 years too late for him to come up and make a real impact! I can’t see him still managing in 4 years, IMO we need a long term manager

VagabondJambo
21 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

I'm warming to the idea of Warnock now. I just assumed his style of football, dinosaur reputation and liking for big men up front were things Levein got castigated for so he wouldn't be a popular appointment. As a motivator he seems to have it and, most importantly, if he really does really want this challenge that would be a significant step up from Levein when he was originally appointed by Budge.

That would be brilliant - new captain!  Naismith co-general on the field whenever he plays.

VagabondJambo
28 minutes ago, weegie jambo said:

This is the crux of it for me and I wouldn't be against Austin as his assistant.

Austin as his assistant would be my preference too (with Naismith being groomed to ultimately take over from Warnock).

I have a concern that Austin as SD would miss the first team match activities - that’s not part of the SD job.  I also wonder if as SD, he might run into some “conflict of interests” with his own sports/coaching businesses.

35 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Pondering and moaning endlessly about “style of football” got us into this ****ing mess FFS.

I don’t give one shiny shit if a couple of teams had a couple of games in hand against us, in the time after total twats in our fanbase started fannying on about “style” rather than focusing on results we’ve gone from 2nd in the league with a manager with one of our best set of percentage stats in our history to just off the bottom of the league.

Our fans need to stop being millennial ***** snowflakes and when we win, be happy, and when we keep winning be happier and when we are second in the ****ing league be happy.

Everyone needs to wake the **** up and stop being all Hibs.

Edited by Jammy T

I really don't understand exactly why some on here are so obsessed with the new manager having experience of the Scottish game. Good grief! Any manager worth his salt would be able to impress in our league. I think if you have managed in Spain/England/Germany then the Scottish league shouldn't be too daunting

2 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

Evening News getting things wrong again. Donald Park isn't on the interview panel.

Hopefully there is a football person -NOT Levein - on the panel. Walter Smith advising perhaps??

1 minute ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Hopefully there is a football person -NOT Levein - on the panel. Walter Smith advising perhaps??

Hopefully.  But hopefully not Walter Smith

Just now, Jammy T said:

Hopefully.  But hopefully not Walter Smith

He might be someone she has consulted but, I agree, not as part of the panel. 

3 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

He might be someone she has consulted but, I agree, not as part of the panel. 

he’d definitely not want us to appoint somebody that might deign to have thoughts of challenging the ugly twats. Total conflict of interest. I have no interest in us taking advice

from the closed “11 votes to 2” shop that is the old firm. He’d want us to appoint somebody that “knows his place” in Scotland.

Edited by Jammy T

he’d definitely not want us to appoint somebody that might deign to have thoughts of challenging the ugly twats. Total conflict of interest. I have no interest in us taking advise

from the closed 11 votes to 2 shop that is the old firm.

Sometimes you need to hold your nose to avoid the smell.

Don’t know if I’m the only one but I’m getting really bored with the manager chat. I don’t give any credence to what any of the papers are reporting it’s all guess work, hearsay and likely leaks from agents on their clients behalf. I’m not convinced any of the candidates mentioned have been interviewed or are even in the running. I still think the SD will arrive before the manager and at that stage I may pay a bit more attention. Anyone losing the plot over what the papers are reporting need to calm down, they’re not much more informed than most on here from what I can tell. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Betting is ridiculous. New favourite every day. 

Cotterill as short as 7/4 now 11/1.

Which does indeed indicate little or nothing to go on

27 minutes ago, Henroddy said:

I really don't understand exactly why some on here are so obsessed with the new manager having experience of the Scottish game. Good grief! Any manager worth his salt would be able to impress in our league. I think if you have managed in Spain/England/Germany then the Scottish league shouldn't be too daunting

I actually think it will be an advantage if they don't.

The vast majority of Scottish players and managers believe in the eternal supremacy of the OF, because that's what they have been hearing in the media their whole lives. When they play against one of them, they are beaten in their heads before they step onto the pitch. I'd like a manager who thinks they are nothing more than football teams and gives them no respect at all.

4 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Betting is ridiculous. New favourite every day. 

Cotterill as short as 7/4 now 11/1.

Which does indeed indicate little or nothing to go on

They have no idea.

The Old Tolbooth

The McCall interview went well he felt, but he’s pretty sure he won’t get the job because of his Rangers connections, which to me is heartening.