Odds on next manager

DB-14

1 hour ago, johnthomas said:

Second interviews this week , McCann and ?

Id like to see McCann as assistant to a higher quality manager.  

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• kingantti1874

• soonbe110

• mitch41

8 hours ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

Blimey, talk about a huge gulf in class, I can't get my head around that statement 

Disagree. Robinson has shown a lot of talent as a manager and shown he can deal with adversity snd come out the other side.

26 minutes ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

The Daily Record are reporting Austin will definitely be in charge for the Killie game. They also say he will have an interview sometime after and could be in charge for a further 8 games.

Now it is the Daily Record but it terms of the betting - the bookies pay out after 10 games in charge. If you can get a good price it may be worth a flutter 

Also I see Gerhard Struber is favourite for the Barnsley job. I know very little about him or his record but he has previously been a coach at RB Salzburg. So his philosophy is potentially all out attacking football.

Haven’t read the article but if it’s accurate (Daily Ranger??) then that means someone coming in who isn’t available until January.   That would set the rumour mill spinning. 

Warnock, Terry, Robinson and our own John Robertson are the top four for me. Would be happy with any of them but must admit I find Terry intriguing, positive, vastly experienced, hard, thoughtful and a real driving force as a player makes me dream of another sir Alex. 

Captain Canada
31 minutes ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

The Daily Record are reporting Austin will definitely be in charge for the Killie game. They also say he will have an interview sometime after and could be in charge for a further 8 games.

Now it is the Daily Record but it terms of the betting - the bookies pay out after 10 games in charge. If you can get a good price it may be worth a flutter 

Also I see Gerhard Struber is favourite for the Barnsley job. I know very little about him or his record but he has previously been a coach at RB Salzburg. So his philosophy is potentially all out attacking football.

I hope the part about the December games is wrong. We need someone in the next two weeks so they can assess the squad ahead of January. 

Also, if Austin did get the next 8 games and didn't do that well, it would make the job a lot harder for the new manager taking over. 

It could put people off too. It would be the second time we've interviewed potential managers and then not hired anyone. 

We all want the right person but the longer this drags on, the more incompetent we look. We took an age to decide on Levein and it took ages to replace Cathro. Maybe if we lose the next two games it might help focus their minds a bit. 

I'd have thought they'd have a shortlist to replace Levein before he got sacked. I'm not saying they should have approached anyone, but CL leaving his main positions seems to have taken them by surprise. 

I'm not sure which manager wouldn't be available until January, unless he's in a job and is planning to resign or just waiting to be fired? Do many managers have contracts expiring in January? 

Edited by Captain Canada

7 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Haven’t read the article but if it’s accurate (Daily Ranger??) then that means someone coming in who isn’t available until January.   That would set the rumour mill spinning. 

There can’t be many managers who aren’t available until January....there are only a handful of association seasons which end in November and December.

And if we are waiting on someone from one of these countries then why we still conducting interviews ?

The Daily Record is just filling column space......with dugshite.

21 minutes ago, JamboSpur said:

McPhee until Winter break - Factoid 

Feels like it. 

Also feels like more procrastination from the top. 

letsalllaughathobos

Robinsons second manager job,Oldham and motherwell, hearts would be a huge step up for him, 

Robbie neilson has more experience as a manager.

Robinson would be a terrible appointment.

In my opinion of course,

Nelly Terraces
27 minutes ago, JamboSpur said:

Looking like it. As per the last time following the, cough cough, 'intensive search' for a new manager old Budgie tells everyone she's just amazingly realised that she had the best guy for the job all along. 

36 minutes ago, alanbauld said:

Warnock, Terry, Robinson and our own John Robertson are the top four for me. Would be happy with any of them but must admit I find Terry intriguing, positive, vastly experienced, hard, thoughtful and a real driving force as a player makes me dream of another sir Alex. 

I'm in this boat as well. Think he has the attributes to be a top manager and something different. Comes across as a winner, which is what we need. 

I would imagine he will be on big bucks at villa so cant see him coming to us, unless he wants to make a name for himself as a manager. 

1 hour ago, Finlay James said:

Id like to see McCann as assistant to a higher quality manager.  

I dont see what the attraction with mccann is at all. Was dreadful at Dundee and is a useless pundit as well. 

With all the names being mentioned, I dont understand why anyone would choose him. Would be such a disappointing appointment. 

10 hours ago, Alex Kintner said:

Robinson or Warnock and I’ll be delighted 👍🏻

10 hours ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

Blimey, talk about a huge gulf in class, I can't get my head around that statement 

1 hour ago, Alex Kintner said:

Disagree. Robinson has shown a lot of talent as a manager and shown he can deal with adversity snd come out the other side.

Robinson has very limited experience, Warnock has the most experience of any candidate we are ever likely to appoint! Doesn’t make any sense to me either?

Leveins Battalion
15 minutes ago, letsalllaughathobos said:

Robinsons second manager job,Oldham and motherwell, hearts would be a huge step up for him, 

Robbie neilson has more experience as a manager.

Robinson would be a terrible appointment.

In my opinion of course,

If anything now is the perfect time to get him,on the way up in his career,looking to make the next step to a bigger club?

If we wait we could potentially miss out on somebody like him and end up with a journeyman l/boring appointment like Cotteril,McCall etc.

Howdy Doody Jambo

Young and up and coming isn't a good  enough reason, this learning on the job nonsense 

Just get the best we can afford with experience of winning football games, somebody that will attack and ignite the atmosphere in Tynecatle we haven't seen for years now preferably with a bit charisma and personality 

Stop faffing about Budge

or will we kick the can doon the road and pick up a bargain boss in the January sales when the baw will be well and truly burst 

Maybe Mcphee is best at being a number 2 or will we roll the dice,gamble and wait and see if he is the next Pep Guardiolla just because he has a nice new suit 

There's plenty good quality candidates out there now and should appoint before other clubs fancy a change and the best one's get snapped up 

45 minutes ago, JamboSpur said:

Why would we make an approach for managers in work, potentially causing disharmony with teams like Motherwell / Cove, then not appoint anyone for months?

3 minutes ago, Old Castle Rock said:

Young and up and coming isn't a good  enough reason, this learning on the job nonsense 

Just get the best we can afford with experience of winning football games, somebody that will attack and ignite the atmosphere in Tynecatle we haven't seen for years now preferably with a bit charisma and personality 

Stop faffing about Budge

or will we kick the can doon the road and pick up a bargain boss in the January sales when the baw will be well and truly burst 

Maybe Mcphee is best at being a number 2 or will we roll the dice,gamble and wait and see if he is the next Pep Guardiolla just because he has a nice new suit 

There's plenty good quality candidates out there now and should appoint before other clubs fancy a change and the best one's get snapped up 

How did Pep start his career?

Shanks said no
2 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Why would we make an approach for managers in work, potentially causing disharmony with teams like Motherwell / Cove, then not appoint anyone for months?

Exactly and continue the charade of holding interviews with candidates if we had someone who couldn’t start till the winter break.

Holyrood_Hearts

Absolutely nothing against MacPhee but leaving him as manager until the winter break is a disgrace imo. 

I don’t like being negative about Budge or the club but we really have ****ed this up.

Budge claiming we were looking for a “high profile, experienced” manager was always potentially going to come back on her, especially when none of those interviewed so far meet that criteria. 

Having a closing date for people to get CV’s in was a mistake, as well as then splitting this into unemployed/employed categories. What’s wrong with taking 2/3 preferred candidates & just interviewing them? The whole process is unnecessary dragged out. 

4 minutes ago, Old Castle Rock said:

Stop faffing about Budge

Agree. Like footballers, the best young ones seem to be in the better leagues. 

People will rightly say any appointment is a risk and there’s all different types of criteria and things to judge before deciding. But having someone with a decent background,  who isn’t currently a spent force but in that place of looking for a new challenge, may be the safer bet.  I’m all for appointing someone ready and deserving of a step up to a bigger club but are there many out there that spring to mind?

10 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

If anything now is the perfect time to get him,on the way up in his career,looking to make the next step to a bigger club?

If we wait we could potentially miss out on somebody like him and end up with a journeyman l/boring appointment like Cotteril,McCall etc.

Aren’t all managers “journeymen” of sorts? Some may have a higher profile than others but the vast majority flit from club to club on 12/18 month cycles. 

That’s our market, unless we take a flyer on an ex-pro with zero experience. 

If we want someone with an excellent winning record we will need to go down the leagues to somewhere like Cove, and then we would (probably correctly) argue it’s too big a step up. 

Personally I don’t think we need someone to come in with high ideas of revolutionising the club and it’s infrastructure. We just need someone who can organise, motivate and cultivate a coherent signing policy. 

Edited by Nookie Bear

1 minute ago, Holyrood_Hearts said:

Absolutely nothing against MacPhee but leaving him as manager until the winter break is a disgrace imo. 

I don’t like being negative about Budge or the club but we really have ****ed this up.

Budge claiming we were looking for a “high profile, experienced” manager was always potentially going to come back on her, especially when none of those interviewed so far meet that criteria. 

Having a closing date for people to get CV’s in was a mistake, as well as then splitting this into unemployed/employed categories. What’s wrong with taking 2/3 preferred candidates & just interviewing them? The whole process is unnecessary dragged out. 

We haven’t made an appointment yet.....AB said in her press conference  it could be several weeks.

The only thing that is ****ed up is posts like yours.

Holyrood_Hearts
1 minute ago, DH1986 said:

We haven’t made an appointment yet.....AB said in her press conference  it could be several weeks.

The only thing that is ****ed up is posts like yours.

How? It shouldn’t take several weeks to appoint a manager. 

Leveins Battalion
1 minute ago, Holyrood_Hearts said:

It’s a bit more complicated due to the whole Levein blueprint being ripped up,there was a succession of coaches planned but that turned into and still is a nightmare.

Pretty sure whoever comes in won’t want Daly,Fox and Gallagher and then we have to find more coaches.MacPhee and Donald Park would hopefully have a part to play.

Its been badly played out due to Budges inexperience of football,she never envisiged this day coming.

Right now it’s looking all a bit amateurish from our end.

kingantti1874

they don’t know what they want or what they need. Hiring a football manager should be a decisive act.

Having a “process” is fine but you would expect some commonality in the style or approach we are looking for.. 

we’ve supposedly interviewed McCall, Cotterill, McCann, Ross.. tell me what do that lot have in common? .. now linked with Warnock and Want to talk to Robinson , and McPhee is still in the running.. its like a game of pin the tail on the Donkey..

we have a fabulous decisive board who absolutely know what they are doing off the pitch, on it and what is require do match day  - utterly clueless! 

Edited by kingantti1874

I have no problem with them taking their time and interviewing a diverse range of candidates. That's what I do when I employ someone.

If Austin wins at Kilmarnock then that's 6 points from 6. So we will have had maximum points while the search continues. Given the start of this season and last seasons poor football and lack of goals I fail to see the need for all the pantywetting here. Why rush an appointment for someone who will hopefully be there for several years.

I discount the rangers team as being wholly Austin's doing as I'm am fairly certain the team will have been prepared by Levein and coming in and changing things last minute might have been a big issue.

1 minute ago, kingantti1874 said:

they don’t know what they want or what they need. Hiring a football manager should be a decisive act.

Having a “process” is fine but you would expect some commonality in the style or approach we are looking for.. 

we’ve supposedly interviewed McCall, Cotterill, McCann, Ross.. tell me what do that lot have in common? .. now linked with Warnock and Want to talk to Robinson , and McPhee is still in the running.. its like a game I’d pin the tail on the Donkey..

we have a fabulous decisive board who absolutely know what they are doing off the pitch, on it and what is require do match day  - utterly clueless! 

Maybe it’s taking a while to get things over the line?

I actually agree with bits and bobs you are saying because as time rumbles on people get more frustrated, start thinking of different scenarios going on but I suppose in reality (unless we are part of it] truly don’t know what is happening?

We are taking parts of media stuff day to day and letting it influence what we think is going on. I haven’t often defended the board in recent months but if for a minute I do, it’s possible the financial package side or agreements on staff are dragging on slightly until the middle ground is met?

Again, still a guess like anything else on JKB but the habit is to always run and criticise.  

Holyrood_Hearts
Just now, Leveins Battalion said:

It’s a bit more complicated due to the whole Levein blueprint being ripped up,there was a succession of coaches planned but that turned into and still is a nightmare.

Pretty sure whoever comes in won’t want Daly,Fox and Gallagher and then we have to find more coaches.MacPhee and Donald Park would hopefully have a part to play.

Its been badly played out due to Budges inexperience of football,she never envisiged this day coming.

Right now it’s looking all a bit amateurish from our end.

If the new manager is happy working with Daly, Fox & co then fair enough but Hearts shouldn’t be forcing a whole team of coaches on him. 

I agree it is, you’d like to think lessons were learned from the last time before Levein was appointed but it doesn’t look like it so far. I get these things aren't done overnight but if we had a shortlist of candidates instead of this scattergun approach of interviewing 5+ people so far with more to go, everyone would be happier. 

8 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

we’ve supposedly interviewed McCall, Cotterill, McCann, Ross.. tell me what do that lot have in common? .. now linked with Warnock and Want to talk to Robinson , and McPhee is still in the running.. its like a game of pin the tail on the Donkey..

I love that you’re getting this excited over snippets from the Edinburgh Evening News! The board will have a clear and thorough strategy in place, time is being taken to ensure due diligence. Just calm down until we’ve actually appointed somebody. Then you can lose your mind, before we have even played one game under the new gaffer ...

Howdy Doody Jambo
17 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

How did Pep start his career?

He was a young player in one of the best clubs in the world Ajax playing under the great Johan Cruyff who was influenced by Rinus Michels which suggests that Pep has had a fantastic football education where he may have started coaching Barcelona at youth level 

Oor Austin is clearly following in his footsteps 

6 minutes ago, JamboAndrew said:

I have no problem with them taking their time and interviewing a diverse range of candidates. That's what I do when I employ someone.

If Austin wins at Kilmarnock then that's 6 points from 6. So we will have had maximum points while the search continues. Given the start of this season and last seasons poor football and lack of goals I fail to see the need for all the pantywetting here. Why rush an appointment for someone who will hopefully be there for several years.

I discount the rangers team as being wholly Austin's doing as I'm am fairly certain the team will have been prepared by Levein and coming in and changing things last minute might have been a big issue.

....or if we get beat off killie, it's one win in three, if you want to flip it the other way! 

I would have been happy for austin to get up to the winter break but the fact weve started interviewing means the club would look stupid if they came out again and said the perfect man is here already, like they did with levein. 

I'm not sure about mcphee. I feel he's too stats focused. That line up v rangers was atrocious!  And tactics. 

kingantti1874
1 minute ago, Mr Elwood P said:

I love that you’re getting this excited over snippets from the Edinburgh Evening News! The board will have a clear and thorough strategy in place, time is being taken to ensure due diligence. Just calm down until we’ve actually appointed somebody. Then you can lose your mind, before we have even played one game under the new gaffer ...

I’m  not excited mate, there nothing I can do about it but I think those interviewed are more than rumours . I just have little confidence in the board when it comes to the actual football. Probably why the want a SD. 

Jambof3tornado
18 minutes ago, Holyrood_Hearts said:

Maybe we had to do things right and wait for permission to approach some candidates.

Some in employment wouldnt maybe actively apply so as not to upset current club/fans etc but could be convinced the job is for them at interview.

We have ****ed nothing up so far.

1 minute ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Maybe we had to do things right and wait for permission to approach some candidates.

Some in employment wouldnt maybe actively apply so as not to upset current club/fans etc but could be convinced the job is for them at interview.

The clubs would have to give permission, to interview there manager,if she is going down that route could take weeks..

August Landmesser
11 hours ago, DH1986 said:

I think Ann Budge will be regretting using that phrase.

She didn't use that phrase though. She was asked if a high-profile name would be interested in the job and she answered 'I don't see why not'.

kingantti1874
6 minutes ago, ford donald said:

The clubs would have to give permission, to interview there manager,if she is going down that route could take weeks..

Oh come on that’s just not true at all. Stop making up excuses.

If they really really wanted Robinson it would have been done in 2/3 days if we were willing to pay compensation. Rarely do managerial moves take weeks to resolve and never at our level.

the only conclusion is they don’t know what or who they want..

Edited by kingantti1874

Just now, kingantti1874 said:

Oh come on that’s just not true at all. Stop making up Excused 

If they really really wanted Robinson it would have been done in 2/3 days if we were willing to pay compensation. Rarely do managerial moves take weeks to resolve and never at our level

Correct. 

Selkirkhmfc1874

If they really really wanted Robinson it would have been done in 2/3 days if we were willing to pay compensation. Rarely do managerial moves take weeks to resolve and never at our level.

Agree !! If we want somebody who's under contract it's as simple as agreeing the compensation and then speaking to the guy in question

Shanks said no
4 minutes ago, August Landmesser said:

She didn't use that phrase though. She was asked if a high-profile name would be interested in the job and she answered 'I don't see why not'.

She said

“Look at some of the other managers we have in Scotland at the moment. A few years ago we would've been questioning whether that was possible. Hearts is no different. We need to compete with the top clubs in Scotland and to do that I want to ensure that we get a very experienced and high-profile manager."

Selkirkhmfc1874
6 minutes ago, August Landmesser said:

Yes she did 

No excuses,She did say it would take as long as needed,maybe the next manager for Hearts has already been interviewed!

7 minutes ago, August Landmesser said:

So the quotes attributed to her are made up?

Holyrood_Hearts
3 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

I get that & Im not for a moment suggesting we do anything underhand, but surely if someone has applied (who’s currently in a job) this would take priority in terms of approaching their club for permission to speak ahead of doing what we have done & interview 5 people so far first specifically because they are unemployed? 

Imo we should have a shortlist of candidates to interview that regardless of being employed/unemployed. 

Jambof3tornado
12 minutes ago, ford donald said:

Better to get the right man than do things quickly. Not sure we can afford to make a mistake with this.

The revisionism of those desperate for Ann not to be shown in a bad light is getting ridiculous now.

I'm more than happy to wait and see if she can deliver what we need and what she outlined as her aims. I won't pre-empt her and judge her until a decision has been made but the eagerness to pretend she didn't say things she did is poor.

Selkirkhmfc1874
Just now, Jambof3tornado said:

Better to get the right man than do things quickly. Not sure we can afford to make a mistake with this.

Yeah I agree it's about getting the right man but if Mrs Budge thinks going through this process and then pulling the wool over the supporters eyes by appointing Austin Macphee is going to be accepted she's badly mistaken after the saga with levein the last time 

Jambof3tornado
2 minutes ago, Holyrood_Hearts said:

I get that & Im not for a moment suggesting we do anything underhand, but surely if someone has applied (who’s currently in a job) this would take priority in terms of approaching their club for permission to speak ahead of doing what we have done & interview 5 people so far first specifically because they are unemployed? 

Imo we should have a shortlist of candidates to interview that regardless of being employed/unemployed. 

Not sure what order things would happen with say motherwells manager. Hearts may want to speak to him but he may well upset Motherwell board if he asks to apply, or could he apply without asking his current employers??

He may also simply use the situation to get a new deal at motherwell.

Its just not as clear cut as it may seem.

Some managers will have clauses regarding movement to other clubs etc.