Odds on next manager

DB-14

Jambof3tornado
Just now, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Yeah I agree it's about getting the right man but if Mrs Budge thinks going through this process and then pulling the wool over the supporters eyes by appointing Austin Macphee is going to be accepted she's badly mistaken after the saga with levein the last time 

Correct. Thats why we cant **** this up.

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• kingantti1874

• soonbe110

• mitch41

Selkirkhmfc1874
1 minute ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Correct. Thats why we cant **** this up.

Totally agree ! Appointment of cathro was leveins call , appointing levein was a fudge after going through interviewing people but this call now is on Mrs Budge head and it's the one she'll be judged on and I really hope she gets this one spot on because after all the good she's done the levein saga has tarnished her a little bit bit she's still got some credit in the bank 

32 minutes ago, Holyrood_Hearts said:

How? It shouldn’t take several weeks to appoint a manager. 

And who are you to give us this wonderful insight ?

Been the CEO of many football clubs in your day ? Held multiple interview sessions with prospective managers have you ?

I’m guessing no.

Craig Levein was sacked a little over two weeks ago......we gave a deadline for applicants 9 days ago and we’ve been conducting interviews with more to follow.

This isn’t a position at a MacDonalds drive-thru we're filling here. 

There is no outstanding candidate waiting on our doorstep so Ann Budge is doing the right thing and taking her time to get this right.

Criticising her for taking her time is just stupid.

Holyrood_Hearts
3 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Not sure what order things would happen with say motherwells manager. Hearts may want to speak to him but he may well upset Motherwell board if he asks to apply, or could he apply without asking his current employers??

He may also simply use the situation to get a new deal at motherwell.

Its just not as clear cut as it may seem.

Some managers will have clauses regarding movement to other clubs etc.

To be fair (as someone else just mentioned) the only thing that isn’t clear is Budge doesn’t have a preferred candidate or a shortlist, hence while we’re going around the houses.

Selkirkhmfc1874
1 minute ago, DH1986 said:

Been the CEO of many football clubs in your day ? Held multiple interview sessions with prospective managers have you ?

I’m guessing no.

Craig Levein was sacked a little over two weeks ago......we gave a deadline for applicants 9 days ago and we’ve been conducting interviews with more to follow.

There is no outstanding candidate waiting on our doorstep so Ann Budge is doing the right thing and taking her time to get this right.

Criticising her for taking her time to punt levein hense us being in this situation was stupid though 

1 minute ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Criticising her for taking her time to punt levein hense us being in this situation was stupid though 

Agreed.

But that is a discussion that has been done to death. It’s history.

This is a whole new ball game.......

Selkirkhmfc1874
1 minute ago, DH1986 said:

Agreed.

But that is a discussion that has been done to death. It’s history.

This is a whole new ball game.......

We on same page then because I agree with you also about more important getting right man rather than rushing into something that 6 months down the road we back here again 

1 minute ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

We on same page then because I agree with you also about more important getting right man rather than rushing into something that 6 months down the road we back here again 

Yep.

So the clown saying we’ve ****ed this up before even making either appointment just isn’t helping the general mood on here.

Posts like his just add unnecessary fuel to the angry fire for those not bright enough to understand the process of recruiting for two hugely important positions.

Selkirkhmfc1874
2 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

Only fair he gets another game after soundly beating St Mirren. Still leaves the door open for a Director Of Football 

Nothing against Austin Macphee because when he's stood in he's always conducted himself well but he can't surely be considered for our first team head coach ?

Selkirkhmfc1874
Just now, DH1986 said:

Yep.

So the clown saying we’ve ****ed this up before even making either appointment just isn’t helping the general mood on here.

Posts like his just add unnecessary fuel to the angry fire for those not bright enough to understand the process of recruiting for two hugely important positions.

Nah nobody should be saying we've messed up until appointments made and then give there opinion 

The recruitment process for players gets hammered on here. YouTube, stats, nepotism etc etc....

Now we're recruiting a manager and going through a proper face to face interview process and that doesn't seem very popular.

Sound logic.

5 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

Only fair he gets another game after soundly beating St Mirren. Still leaves the door open for a Director Of Football 

He would be more suited for that role SD,don't want him as Hearts manager.

Seymour M Hersh
1 hour ago, DH1986 said:

There can’t be many managers who aren’t available until January....there are only a handful of association seasons which end in November and December.

And if we are waiting on someone from one of these countries then why we still conducting interviews ?

The Daily Record is just filling column space......with dugshite.

Obviously par for the course for the weejie tabloids.

I honestly don't think the media have a clue who we are targeting and are as the poster says filling column space with total guestimation. 

58 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

they don’t know what they want or what they need. Hiring a football manager should be a decisive act.

Having a “process” is fine but you would expect some commonality in the style or approach we are looking for.. 

we’ve supposedly interviewed McCall, Cotterill, McCann, Ross.. tell me what do that lot have in common? .. now linked with Warnock and Want to talk to Robinson , and McPhee is still in the running.. its like a game of pin the tail on the Donkey..

we have a fabulous decisive board who absolutely know what they are doing off the pitch, on it and what is require do match day  - utterly clueless! 

I get what you are saying but I disagree.

Going through due process is not indecisive or indecision.

Speaking to as many people as possible is not a bad thing. Having a review of the full extent of the market interested in joining the club at the time a vacancy becomes available is not something to be criticised. 

Speaking to people without clubs first before going through the ball ache of approaching clubs for permission to speak and where things will undoubtedly go public is entirely sensible.

Not just appointing the first person that tickles your balls is a good thing.

I see no indecision in our process so far - quite the opposite. We are following the path exactly set out a couple of weekend ago. And we are not panic buying.

Edited by Jammy T

kingantti1874
28 minutes ago, ford donald said:

No excuses,She did say it would take as long as needed,maybe the next manager for Hearts has already been interviewed!

It will take as long as is needed becuase they’ve no idea what they want or who is required to implement it.. certainly doesn’t take week to negotiate the release of a manager at our level.. 

kingantti1874
2 minutes ago, Jammy T said:

Speaking to as many people as possible is not a bad thing. Having a review of the full extent of the market interested in joining the club at the time a vacancy becomes available is not something to be criticised. 

Speaking to people without clubs first before going through the ball ache of approaching clubs for permission to speak and where things will undoubtedly go public is entirely sensible.

I see no indecision in our process so far - quite the opposite. We are following the path exactly set out a couple of weekend ago. And we are not panic buying.

I think the path is fine if your looking to employ a marketing head or a consultant.. but a football manager? Not for me.. 

Holyrood_Hearts
5 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

I’m guessing no.

**** sake where to start with this....

I’ve never been a CEO of a football club or recruited staff for McDonalds although I’m sure neither take several weeks to interview & employ anyone within the business.

I don’t have any wonderful insight into how a football club is run. However, as I’ve previously said IMO having a deadline to get CV’s in was a mistake. You don’t hear of any other clubs announcing that  (please feel free to correct me on this)

Budge/Hearts don’t have weeks to sit on this. From those who have applied, draw up a shortlist of preferred candidates & only interview them. 

It’s not stupid at all, repeating the same mistakes as last time & not learning from them is stupid.

Re MacPhee and his duration of tenure.

There is an entirely justifiable reason we feel we can trust him for a medium term in the interim role.

He is responsible for many of our squad actually being here and, crucially, key injuries are starting to clear up. 

Even just Walker and Naismith back will see results improve.

It was clear in the end that Levein had to go.

It is just as clear that as we get more key players back results will improve almost no matter who the manager is in the meantime. Of the people at the club MacPhee is by far the best person to lead that for the time being.

I am relaxed about it all.

Edited by Jammy T

21 hours ago, GinRummy said:

If professional opinion is so important to you then why do you hold some professional opinion in such high regard yet completely ignore other professional opinions that don’t suit your viewpoint. 

Like what? I have seen no professional opinion in any field expressing the view that any non professional opinion is of value. 

21 hours ago, GinRummy said:

I’m not frustrated, yet another thing you’ve simply made up.

Actually that's something you entirely made up directed at me and I carried it on frankly to mock the vacuous nature of it. Or had you already forgotten that?

Selkirkhmfc1874
1 minute ago, TheOak88 said:

Wee Budgie making a dugs dinner of it. She just cannot seem to get the hang of this recruitment malarkey. 

That's harsh! How can you accuse her of making mess of it before she's even appointed anyone ? 

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Everyone forgotten?

Step 1 Sporting director,  step 2 manager and aligned thinking with Sporting director. 

Right now we are getting a range of discussions with people who may align, once the director is in situ. 

Hence the extended time frame there are 2 jobs and the manager is naturally 2nd in that process 

1 minute ago, kingantti1874 said:

I think the path is fine if your looking to employ a marketing head or a consultant.. but a football manager? Not for me.. 

Why?

You are basically aligning yourself to the school of the old boys network of appointing managers

”Get him in. He kens what he is da’in. Safe pair of hands”

Same old same old circle of average guys getting the jobs

4 minutes ago, Jammy T said:

Out of interest why do you think the process is so scattergun in terms of targets?

It really feels like we have no idea what type of Manager we are looking for. 

Holyrood_Hearts
13 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

Yep.

Wonder who the 🤡 is haha

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Out of interest why do you think the process is so scattergun in terms of targets?

Its quite simple.  Read my post top of the page.

Right now its research and due diligence. Groundwork saving time for the new Sporting Director 

I don’t 

I think the approach is the complete opposite of scattergun.

Appointing the first gadge that comes along because he’s a “guid guy” is scattergun.

Just now, Sir Gio said:

Its quite simple.  Read my post top of the page.

Right now its research and due diligence. Groundwork saving time for the new Sporting Director 

Yep. 

Due diligence being the key two words.

Imagine running a multi million pound business and not going through a process of due diligence for your key employee position....

Jesus.

2 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

That's harsh! How can you accuse her of making mess of it before she's even appointed anyone ? 

I think there is certainly a whiff of deja vu from 2 years ago. 

We go into the interview process with no clear target as to the type of Manager we want. Highlighted by the wildly different Managers we have interviewed thus far. 

We then realise we have no idea what we are looking for and just give it to someone already involved. 

2 minutes ago, BASIL_HEARTS said:

Derek McInness the new one to enter the sky betting 👀 

Waste of time seeing as Gordon Strachan has the gig......

Just now, TheOak88 said:

We go into the interview process with no clear target as to the type of Manager we want. Highlighted by the wildly different Managers we have interviewed thus far. 

We then realise we have no idea what we are looking for and just give it to someone already involved. 

It's not filling me with optimism as I agree, the people being interviewed are wildly different which does suggest they have no idea what they are trying to recruit. It seems unlikely that those mentioned could all possibly meet whatever criteria the club are recruiting against.

I'll trust the process and hope it provides a better result than last time. Here's hoping 🤞👍

2 minutes ago, Jammy T said:

I don’t 

I think the approach is the complete opposite of scattergun.

Appointing the first gadge that comes along because he’s a “guid guy” is scattergun.

What attributes are shared by Neil McCann and Stuart McCall?

If the approach is not scattergun. What you say are target Manager looks like?

Until you meet and speak with someone you don’t know for sure who would be better for what you need at the club.

That’s why every single business in the world has an interview process for jobs.

EVERY SINGLE ****ING BUSINESS.

2 minutes ago, TheOak88 said:

What's wrong with looking at a number of different candidate to see what their vision for the first team would be ? 

Apart from making some on KB angry 

The sheer stupidity amongst our fanbase is more worrying to me than how we conduct manager searches.

We are already suffering because of it.

Dear god.

Edited by Jammy T

Selkirkhmfc1874
8 minutes ago, TheOak88 said:

I've already said if we end up giving Austin Macphee the job that won't be acceptable to the supporters but let's wait and see first before we say Mrs Budge made mess of it because we don't know except press speculation which could be absolute nonsense 

The club know they have to get this one right. There’s no such thing as a 100% certainty but I’d rather they took two months to get it right rather than two weeks and not ensuring we get the best we can in the market we are operating in.

Simply, calm doon !

16 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Everyone forgotten?

Step 1 Sporting director,  step 2 manager and aligned thinking with Sporting director. 

Right now we are getting a range of discussions with people who may align, once the director is in situ. 

Hence the extended time frame there are 2 jobs and the manager is naturally 2nd in that process 

That sounds the most logical path right now, I think appointing a SD will hopefully lend some guidance to the management appointment 

4 minutes ago, Jammy T said:

The sheer stupidity amongst our fanbase is more worrying to me than how we conduct manager searches.

We are already suffering because of it.

Dear god.

This is the only true thing I have read on here all week

We are assuming the names mentioned that have been interviewed already are for the managers position, they might be for the sports directors role? Perhaps not started the manager interviews yet?

9 minutes ago, Jammy T said:

Until you meet and speak with someone you don’t know for sure who would be better for what you need at the club.

That’s why every single business in the world has an interview process for jobs.

Yes. You have a role, you define what characteristics and experience you are after for that role and then interview people who meet that criteria and then choose the most appropriate one.

You don't interview all sorts and hope that at the end of it you work out what you want and hire one of them.

Edited by Taffin

11 minutes ago, Jammy T said:

Avoided the question, and start lashing out. 

You know I am right.