Odds on next manager

DB-14

Hibs have appointed a decent manager quickly.  Kilmarnocks appointment of Angelo Alessio was quite impressive as he has some CV as an assistant, and after a slow start is doing well.  Hearts, er .... Ann dragging her erse as usual.  Their appears no impetus and the names mentioned are below the standard I was hoping for.  Only Daniel Stendael from all the names mentioned inspires a bit hope.  Hopefully we are all pleasantly surprised after this rigorous selection process!

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• kingantti1874

• soonbe110

• mitch41

Bazzas right boot

Warnock would be decent as in a big name but not sure he fits in with what we want. 

Does he build teams up over 2/3 seasons? 

Does he inject youth, develop them? 

Maybe he does. 

He's got a good pedigree (relative to us), managed more recently than some younger managers 

However, he's not managed a team  in Europe, he's not won a major honour and he has limited experience of Scotland. 

Interesting tho, maybe if the set up was right about him it would be perfect. 

Worthing Jambo

Warming to Warnock.

Strip back all the over thinking crap.

Austin to provide that side as assistant?

A man manager like JJ?

Give the players instructions they can understand?

Playing to to the strengths of the squad available rather than blinkered text book tactics defined by statistics!

Would he be a breath of fresh air?

Callum Paterson rates him, or did up until August.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
9 hours ago, David McCaig said:

What a load of nonsense... Warnock’s teams may be direct but can also play a bit.  I was a Sheffield United ST holder during Warnock’s years at Bramall Lane and his sides played with pace and width allied with a target man that could actually control a ball and win aerial challenges.

His midfield often contained Stuart McCall as a ball-winner, allied with Michael Brown, Michael Tonge (developed from the Academy and as lightweight a player as you’ll ever see) and Paul Peschisolido.

For a man with dinosaur thinking he was remarkably far-sighted in switching Phil Jagielka another youth from United’s Academy from a central midfielder to a ball playing centre back.

Warnock was also at Sheffield United during a period when they focused heavily on Youth Development bringing through not just Jagielka and Tonge as mentioned.  Kyle Walker signed for Sheffield United whilst Warnock was still there and Harry Maguire was making his way through the junior age group teams.

For @Smith's right boot

Bazzas right boot
12 minutes ago, Barack said:

Who's your preference, out of curiosity? 

I'm ****ed if I know tbh. 

I could see merit in

Stendel

Magath 

Cough cough, Mccall

Can also see merit in Warnock, although  for all these guys it may depend on the entire coaching set up as apposed to the individual in charge. 

Same would go for a left field appointment like Keane or Terry. 

I really don't want Robbo, MCcann, Pressley, even Robinson tbh. 

All a bit safe imo.

So, to answer, unsure who I want. But I'm sure who I don't want

What gets your loins tingling? 

Coburg Hearts
8 hours ago, VagabondJambo said:

I agree with every one of your posts, Sir, about Warnock.

I also wish others on here would be reminded about your comment on the Sporting Director / academy.

If it is true that he is about to be interviewed, this is the best piece of news we've had re. our next manager.   As I mentioned in a previous post, his savvy, his achievements, his personality, his bluntness, his "get the OF" attitude, his "no nonsense" approach in the dressing room, are among the many tremendous assets he will bring to us.  He is a winner.

2.5 - 3 years would be viable for a contract - not just a short-term one.

Warnock is head and shoulders above any other candidate, and hiring him as our manager would be a quantum leap from anything we have ever done or experienced for a very long time.   A great statement for Hearts to make to Scottish Football.

Fingers crossed, we hire Warnock!

I very much like this post, and Sir Gio's post that VJ was replying to.

Bazzas right boot

What a load of nonsense... Warnock’s teams may be direct but can also play a bit.  I was a Sheffield United ST holder during Warnock’s years at Bramall Lane and his sides played with pace and width allied with a target man that could actually control a ball and win aerial challenges.

His midfield often contained Stuart McCall as a ball-winner, allied with Michael Brown, Michael Tonge (developed from the Academy and as lightweight a player as you’ll ever see) and Paul Peschisolido.

For a man with dinosaur thinking he was remarkably far-sighted in switching Phil Jagielka another youth from United’s Academy from a central midfielder to a ball playing centre back.

Warnock was also at Sheffield United during a period when they focused heavily on Youth Development bringing through not just Jagielka and Tonge as mentioned.  Kyle Walker signed for Sheffield United whilst Warnock was still there and Harry Maguire was making his way through the junior age group teams.

Good bit of info 

👍

26 minutes ago, keifrb said:

Hibs have appointed a decent manager quickly.  Kilmarnocks appointment of Angelo Alessio was quite impressive as he has some CV as an assistant, and after a slow start is doing well.  Hearts, er .... Ann dragging her erse as usual.  Their appears no impetus and the names mentioned are below the standard I was hoping for.  Only Daniel Stendael from all the names mentioned inspires a bit hope.  Hopefully we are all pleasantly surprised after this rigorous selection process!

Ann isn't dragging her arse.

You are talking out yours though.

Bazzas right boot
Just now, Barack said:

Pizza.

What the odds on him. 

Tbh, I can see me "leaning" towards this as well. 🙁

Bazzas right boot
Just now, Barack said:

Pizza.

What the odds on him. 

Tbh, I can see me "leaning" towards this as well. 🙁

1 hour ago, Captain Scarlett said:

Neil Warnock would be a waste of time.He’s never managed in Scotland knows nowt about the game up here Oh! and what has he won? Zilch. All he’s done is save clubs from relegation. Oh wait a minute might come in handy.C’mon Ann. Ffs we can recruit better.

He has eight promotions to the top league in England.  

And if he knows little about Scottish Football, then that is good.  He won’t have the mentality, that we have to accept finishing behind Celtic and Rangers, and knowing our place. 

The_razors_edge

Stuart McLol can away and fling shite at himself. Emptied most recently my Scunthorpe. Scunthorpe FFS...let that sink in for a moment

The Old Tolbooth
48 minutes ago, keifrb said:

Jesus wept :facepalm:

1 hour ago, Notts1874 said:

Evening News getting things wrong again. Donald Park isn't on the interview panel.

It was mentioned on here.  The standard of journalism is beyond repair now.  

I started to get quite excited reading this, maybe even at 70 warnock could be a good choice,maybe I was wrong about him...then I realised for all the good about your post he took over Sheffield United 20 years ago, he was still only 50 back then. Its 12 years since he left Sheffield so we need to keep this in mind, football has changed an awful lot in recent times and Cardiff were very much an old fashioned team

Brighton Jambo
1 hour ago, Jammy T said:

Pondering and moaning endlessly about “style of football” got us into this ****ing mess FFS.

I don’t give one shiny shit if a couple of teams had a couple of games in hand against us, in the time after total twats in our fanbase started fannying on about “style” rather than focusing on results we’ve gone from 2nd in the league with a manager with one of our best set of percentage stats in our history to just off the bottom of the league.

Our fans need to stop being millennial ***** snowflakes and when we win, be happy, and when we keep winning be happier and when we are second in the ****ing league be happy.

Everyone needs to wake the **** up and stop being all Hibs.

Best post I’ve seen in ages on here.  In 30+ years supporting Hearts I have never been more frustrated with some of our fan base than during that period and their approach to Neilson.  

15 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

I'm ****ed if I know tbh. 

I could see merit in

Stendel

Magath 

Cough cough, Mccall

Can also see merit in Warnock, although  for all these guys it may depend on the entire coaching set up as apposed to the individual in charge. 

Same would go for a left field appointment like Keane or Terry. 

I really don't want Robbo, MCcann, Pressley, even Robinson tbh. 

All a bit safe imo.

So, to answer, unsure who I want. But I'm sure who I don't want

What gets your loins tingling? 

Genuine question. When was the last time McCall was successful in club management? Personally Im not fussed re any other club connections. A good manager is a good manager

2 hours ago, GinRummy said:

This is the issue. What is high profile? What is experienced? Folk saying guys like McCann and Robinson are not high profile or experienced. Everyone knows them and they have experience of managing in our league. 

She did say ‘very’ experienced. Robinson with around 160 games as a manager isn’t that. McCann is even further away. 
McCann probably meets the high profile threshold because of his playing career and tv career. Robinson again doesn’t. 
All just my opinion. I also thought she said she was ‘hoping’ to hire a high-profile and very experienced manager. 

For what it's worth I think that ms Budge runs a very tight ship and leaks are kept to an absolute minimum. I think that there will be surprises in the interview process, the media don't have a clue apart from what has been leaked by agents. 

I hope for Stendel but i will give my full backing to whoever we appoint until such time as the results fail 

Toxteth O'Grady
8 minutes ago, Bozi said:

For what it's worth I think that ms Budge runs a very tight ship and leaks are kept to an absolute minimum. I think that there will be surprises in the interview process, the media don't have a clue apart from what has been leaked by agents. 

I hope for Stendel but i will give my full backing to whoever we appoint until such time as the results fail 

Her ship sails slowly and doesn’t know where it is going until long after it has set sail

8 minutes ago, Bozi said:

Hasnt this Stendel got a worse record at Barnsley than Heckingbottom had? I don’t really know but some hibs gobshite was on about it last week?

56 minutes ago, keifrb said:

Who is this decent manager that Hibs have appointed?

7 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

Hasnt this Stendel got a worse record at Barnsley than Heckingbottom had? I don’t really know but some hibs gobshite was on about it last week?

if you look at league games only heckingbottom over his two caretaker spells and his permanent spell has a win % of 37% stendel is 47%

Byyy The Light
1 hour ago, Jammy T said:

Pondering and moaning endlessly about “style of football” got us into this ****ing mess FFS.

I don’t give one shiny shit if a couple of teams had a couple of games in hand against us, in the time after total twats in our fanbase started fannying on about “style” rather than focusing on results we’ve gone from 2nd in the league with a manager with one of our best set of percentage stats in our history to just off the bottom of the league.

Our fans need to stop being millennial ***** snowflakes and when we win, be happy, and when we keep winning be happier and when we are second in the ****ing league be happy.

Everyone needs to wake the **** up and stop being all Hibs.

👏🏼👏🏼

Still think it's going to be Robinson, permission to speak to him this week and he will want to listen

Warnock would be a decent shout aswell.

Just now, keifrb said:

Eloquent as usual. 🔔end.

Just using the language you used .

Budge isn't rushing or dragging her arse as you so eloquently put it.

You definitely were talking out yours.

32 minutes ago, Masonic said:

Warnock and Phil Thompson a la Liverpool has always been a favourite.  His Pinocchio tirade to him was outstanding.

On topic - Warnock would be a fantastic appointment.  Anyone who can overachieve with an underachieving or a limited skill set squad which in reality, we have got at the moment, is a fantastic option.  No matter the age. 

Subjectively, I would love it to happen just to see what he would do after Sean Clare has performed his usual 5/10 for us.  

Interestingly, forgot McCall was his assistant at Sheffield given how he is linked with the post. 

Edited by paleredfox

Guest ToqueJambo

I'm trying too be open-minded about all the supposed names. I've been put off by Warnock's age and McCall's Rangery-ness but both could be decent shouts.

With McCall he could be off like a shot if he does well and Rangers come calling, but his coaching record is decent and he has kept working while others take extended breaks as pundits or whatever. His achievements at Motherwell in terms of their league positions are way above McInnes's achievements getting Aberdeen to a few 2nds. He even got them to a cup final as well.

Walter Bishop
7 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

I'm trying too be open-minded about all the supposed names. I've been put off by Warnock's age and McCall's Rangery-ness but both could be decent shouts.

With McCall he could be off like a shot if he does well and Rangers come calling, but his coaching record is decent and he has kept working while others take extended breaks as pundits or whatever. His achievements at Motherwell in terms of their league positions are way above McInnes's achievements getting Aberdeen to a few 2nds. He even got them to a cup final as well.

McCall would be a Kop out, and he would come in with a fear of the old firm. We need someone with no ties to Hearts and preferably Scottish football,Someone who isnt going to write off 8 league games before the season starts. 

Maroon Sailor
4 minutes ago, LeftBack said:

Don't believe it but mate just texted to say Big Dunc was interested. As i say dont believe it! 

zzdti176838.jpg

25 minutes ago, Walter Bishop said:

Latest odds. 

Was also told tonight we have spoken to Mark Hughes. 

20191116_211240.jpg

Given Walter’s track record it’s fairly safe to assume WE HAVE NOT SPOKEN TO MARK HUGHES.

kingantti1874
18 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Most recently he got punted by Scunthorpe.. 

Guest ToqueJambo
3 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Most recently he got punted by Scunthorpe.. 

I'm not saying MCall is the answer but he's got a better record that Stephen Robinson for example. Everyone we look at will likely have been punted by someone fairly crap.

2 hours ago, Bozi said:

I started to get quite excited reading this, maybe even at 70 warnock could be a good choice,maybe I was wrong about him...then I realised for all the good about your post he took over Sheffield United 20 years ago, he was still only 50 back then. Its 12 years since he left Sheffield so we need to keep this in mind, football has changed an awful lot in recent times and Cardiff were very much an old fashioned team

He got an unfancied side promoted to the Premier League just 18 months ago.

Pivotal to his success was making the absolute most out of the enigma that is Callum Paterson.

In the intervening period since leaving United, he also won the Championship with QPR in 2011.  

The one criticism that can be levelled at him is that the EPL has always proved a step too far, but at Football League level his record is phenomenal.

kingantti1874
7 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

I'm not saying MCall is the answer but he's got a better record that Stephen Robinson for example. Everyone we look at will likely have been punted by someone fairly crap.

Other than his time at Motherwell- his record is really bad.. 

the list of candidates is beyond poor.

Guest ToqueJambo
8 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

We don't know the actual list of candidates.

Warnock is the stand out candidate and exactly what we need to consolidate the footballing side of things .

Hopefully he is serious and we can get this done early next week . 

20 minutes ago, Walter Bishop said:

Eh? 

Given your track record of talking absolute ****in dung, I think it’s a fairly safe bet to assume Hearts haven’t been in contact with Mark Hughes.

Capiche?

9 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

For a slice of perspective, Cardiff have appointed Neil Harris who has spent the last four years at Millwall. They’re an English Championship club who have had two decent EPL stints. Who the **** are you expecting Hearts to appoint?

1 minute ago, ToqueJambo said:

We don't know the actual list of candidates.

And neither do the bookies with the change of favourites daily which speaks volumes imo hearts keeping it very quiet and rightly so

Fire_At_The_Disco
5 minutes ago, Whatever said:

Given your track record of talking absolute ****in dung, I think it’s a fairly safe bet to assume Hearts haven’t been in contact with Mark Hughes.

Capiche?

Walter have you been shagging this guys bird? 

He really doesn’t like you🤷‍♂️

The more I've thought about this, the more U turns I've had.  My expressed view that she will wait to see how MacPhee performs I now think is completely wrong.

First reason is, that's what she did with levein and look how that turned out.  More importantly, she promised a high-profile appointment and he is not that.  With respect to him  neither is Stendel.  I had never heard of him.

Thinking now that the latest odds are probably right and it will be Warnock.

MacPhee may be offered the other role.