• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• kingantti1874

• soonbe110

• mitch41

All this shite happened the last time and then hit us with the Levein being the best all along pish.  The longer this goes on the more it looks like we have had absolutely nobody in mind when punting Levein.

Just now, Last Laff said:

All this shite happened the last time and then hit us with the Levein being the best all along pish.  The longer this goes on the more it looks like we have had absolutely nobody in mind when punting Levein.

I think that might be right. I think she backed him till very near the end and had no idea who to replace him with because she thought he’d get through the bad run.

4 hours ago, Famous 1874 said:

John Terry would be an interesting appointment and I would certainly welcome it. Can’t see it however. 

Im Here.

New news about this? (CBA reading 10 pages)

Toxteth O'Grady
1 minute ago, Last Laff said:

The longer this goes on the more it looks like we have had absolutely nobody in mind when punting Levein.

It’s incredible. They must have known ages ago that there was a high chance of having to sack Leviein. You’d have thought they’d have at least identified a possible replacement. 

4 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

They only failed once to get promoted. 

Under super Ally. 

But they never got promoted under McCall either.  He was ditched after competing Ally’s failure. 

Edited by Paolo

Said it before on this thread and I’ll say it again. 
Quite rightly, none of us have a clue as to who has submitted cv’s, who we have interviewed from cv’s, whether we have contacted currently employed guys to determine interest, whether we have interviewed any of them, whether we are interviewing this week for manager or sporting Director or both, whether sporting Director has already been appointed etc etc etc. 

Why go on and on with the pointless, and baseless, accusations, criticisms etc? We will find out who gets the two jobs when they are announced. Comments on here are highly unlikely to impact those decisions. 
Just let them get on with what is a pretty thankless task judging by comments on here. They are damned if they do and damned if they don’t it would seem. If they rushed in to an appointment like the wee team and it went quickly wrong they would be slaughtered for not doing a comprehensive search. When they take their time and, in all probability, are doing a comprehensive search they get criticised for taking too long and talking to ‘poor candidates’ 

No wonder none of the 8,500 pledgers to FoH fancied a shot  on the FoH Board. Having to take the crap they get from people on here would put anyone off. 

5 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

I think that might be right. I think she backed him till very near the end and had no idea who to replace him with because she thought he’d get through the bad run.

Not in any doubt that’s what happened. Had she been looking elsewhere she would have been guilty of stabbing him in the back. Some people have morals and do things properly. 

6 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

That’s the way it looks. Sitting there hoping everything worked out. 

Just now, soonbe110 said:

Not in any doubt that’s what happened. Had she been looking elsewhere she would have been guilty of stabbing him in the back. Some people have morals and do things properly. 

Agree about the morals. She’s clearly a principled person. A wee bit sneakiness to get a new guy in behind CL’s back would probably have been impossible. CL knows a lot of people in the game and Ann would’ve found it tricky to keep it on the quiet.

Byyy The Light
3 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Said it before on this thread and I’ll say it again. 
Quite rightly, none of us have a clue as to who has submitted cv’s, who we have interviewed from cv’s, whether we have contacted currently employed guys to determine interest, whether we have interviewed any of them, whether we are interviewing this week for manager or sporting Director or both, whether sporting Director has already been appointed etc etc etc. 

Why go on and on with the pointless, and baseless, accusations, criticisms etc? We will find out who gets the two jobs when they are announced. Comments on here are highly unlikely to impact those decisions. 
Just let them get on with what is a pretty thankless task judging by comments on here. They are damned if they do and damned if they don’t it would seem. If they rushed in to an appointment like the wee team and it went quickly wrong they would be slaughtered for not doing a comprehensive search. When they take their time and, in all probability, are doing a comprehensive search they get criticised for taking too long and talking to ‘poor candidates’ 

No wonder none of the 8,500 pledgers to FoH fancied a shot  on the FoH Board. Having to take the crap they get from people on here would put anyone off. 

Well said. Mind boggling how people can talk themselves in to being so pissed off simply by using their own made up thoughts.

4 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

I'm sorry mate but that is naïve bordering on unprofessional. Levein was a dead man walking for months and no one thought they might get third parties to sound potential successors out. That doesn't reflect well on the board, it makes them look like amateurs.

Edited by Jodami

3 hours ago, Absolute Scenes said:

McCall's done far more than Jack Ross has or probably will!

PANT - WETTERS

I am not sure he has.   Ross got promotion with St Mirren.   McCall failed to get promotion with Rangers.  That said, I am not sure if Ross would have been the answer. 

1 minute ago, GinRummy said:

Agree about the morals. She’s clearly a principled person. A wee bit sneakiness to get a new guy in behind CL’s back would probably have been impossible. CL knows a lot of people in the game and Ann would’ve found it tricky to keep it on the quiet.

Yes, football is a very small but open business up here. Everyone seems to know everybody else’s business. Would have been impossible to keep it from Levein had she been talking to alternatives. 

3 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

So there was absolutely no contingency plan ever discussed even involving Levein as to who would or could succeed him?  He was apparently meant to be leaving the role at the end of the season anyway yet there was absolutely no idea as to who might be a good fit?  I find it just as astonishing as not having any kind of plan b for Cathro when he looked clueless before the end of the season yet we continued to give him the pre season then sacked him then never had a clue what to do. 

You don’t have to talk to alternatives. You have a contingency plan and the board between themselves may agree on possible targets in the event of a sacking.  

Keeping things confidential. It’s happens in football all the time. 

2 minutes ago, Jodami said:

I'm sorry mate but that is naïve bordering on unprofessional. Levein was a dead man walking for months and no one thought they might get third parties to sound potential successors out. That doesn't reflect well on the board, it makes them look like amateurs.

Not so imo. She clearly thought he would work his way through it when injured players returned. Don’t think it makes them look like amateurs, I think it makes them look like principled people who support their employees and give them every chance. With hindsight we can all say it should have happened earlier but the board clearly gave him until the end of the first round of fixtures. 

6 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

That’s the way it looks. Sitting there hoping everything worked out. 

In a normal situation the dof or SD would have been tasked with the processor sounding people out months before , bit difficult 

all our eggs were in the levein basket , couldn’t ask him to find his own replacement 

5 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

So there was absolutely no contingency plan ever discussed even involving Levein as to who would or could succeed him?  He was apparently meant to be leaving the role at the end of the season anyway yet there was absolutely no idea as to who might be a good fit?  I find it just as astonishing as not having any kind of plan b for Cathro when he looked clueless before the end of the season yet we continued to give him the pre season then sacked him then never had a clue what to do. 

I have no idea but I’m fairly sure there was. Had he seen the season out it would have meant results had improved and he would step aside either for one of his staff or an outsider to come in. But I don’t think they would be talking to any outsiders 8-9 months before the change was anticipated. Apart from anything else the only ones they could have real discussions with would be the unemployed managers. Why wouldn’t they wait until nearer summer to see who became available? 

Edited by soonbe110

4 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Not so imo. She clearly thought he would work his way through it when injured players returned. Don’t think it makes them look like amateurs, I think it makes them look like principled people who support their employees and give them every chance. With hindsight we can all say it should have happened earlier but the board clearly gave him until the end of the first round of fixtures. 

I disagree completely, contingency planning is about anticipating the future not crossing your fingers and hoping for the best. Levein has failed on a number of different fronts in the last 12 months, not just since the start of this season, and the board has to be aware of that. It's obviously the result of the other critical mistake which was appointing him in 2 jobs. One mistake has compounded another.

Edited by Jodami

6 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

You don’t have to talk to alternatives. You have a contingency plan and the board between themselves may agree on possible targets in the event of a sacking.  

Yes, and that could be the next round of interviews. Especially if they are currently in a job. 

4 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

Who knows? Maybe this interview process was the plan they came up with. I do think what happens after Levein wasn’t discussed in any detail or maybe not at all because as I said I think she backed her man almost right to the end.

34 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

My point was you can't expect us as a smaller team to compete in Glasgow but not comprehend smaller teams competing against us at Tynecastle. 

On the flip side, you can’t say it is acceptable or it happens, when a smaller side competes against us at Tynecastle, but then say it is unrealistic to except us to compete with bigger sides in Glasgow. 

Adam_the_legend
13 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Morals? Tell that to Gary Locke when he was booted and neilson was in position before his seat was cold. Apologist nonsense!

Just now, Adam_the_legend said:

Morals? Tell that to Gary Locke when he was booted and neilson was in position before his seat was cold. Apologist nonsense!

As somebody who’s sacked a lot of people over the years, it’s different when you know them.

3 minutes ago, Jodami said:

I disagree completely, contingency planning is about anticipating the future not crossing your fingers and hoping for the best. Levein has failed on a number of different fronts in the last 12 months, not just since the start of this season, and the board has to be aware of that. It's obviously the result of the other critical mistake which was appointing him in 2 jobs. One mistake has compounded another.

Fine to disagree and I agree re contingency planning but it’s not that simple when you are talking about people. You can’t just have a contingency plan that says when employees don’t do their jobs as well as you expect them to we’ll just fire them and bring others in. Running a business would be so much easier if that’s how it worked but it doesn’t. 

2 minutes ago, Paolo said:

On the flip side, you can’t say it is acceptable or it happens, when a smaller side competes against us at Tynecastle, but then say it is unrealistic to except us to compete with bigger sides in Glasgow. 

As fans we demand to beat the smaller teams and perform well against the bigger ones. It’s the same at any club.

5 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Just as well we already have the ideal candidate at the club, Already. 

Am I right? 

:levein_interesting:

Daly or Foxy?  Tough choice between these two 

3 minutes ago, Adam_the_legend said:

That was a unique situation with new owners. New owners virtually always put their own management in place. Nothing new, or immoral, with what happened to Locke. He was well looked after then and now as well. 

Bazzas right boot
3 minutes ago, Adam_the_legend said:

Gary lockes Contract expired and wasn't renewed. 

Don't let that stop your drama tho. 

Adam_the_legend
3 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

As somebody who’s sacked a lot of people over the years, it’s different when you know them.

Pretty sure most people know the person they’re sacking. 

Adam_the_legend
Just now, soonbe110 said:

That was a unique situation with new owners. New owners virtually always put their own management in place. Nothing new, or immoral, with what happened to Locke. He was well looked after then and now as well. 

In your twisted logic it’s fine. There should have been a contingency plan, ridiculous IF there wasn’t. 

AlphonseCapone
47 minutes ago, Coco said:

Donald Cumming is a lawyer and is on the club Board, representing FOH.  No idea if he is the random lawyer in question though 

33 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

He isn’t on the panel because he is a lawyer. He is in the panel because he is a board member. Current board is short on numbers and no surprise if he is involved. 

That makes more sense. Shite reporting as usual to describe him as a lawyer when the relevant point is he is a board member in this context.

2 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Fine to disagree and I agree re contingency planning but it’s not that simple when you are talking about people. You can’t just have a contingency plan that says when employees don’t do their jobs as well as you expect them to we’ll just fire them and bring others in. Running a business would be so much easier if that’s how it worked but it doesn’t. 

I agree to disagree sir! It's the fact that the appalling run went on for so long and there was no thought to look at alternatives after the inevitable. I find that a bit disappointing and the way we are going about recruiting a successor looks like the selection process from a different industry. If they really are that clueless, and it looks that way, then the sporting director should have been appointed first and they would help lead the search for a manager.

Adam_the_legend
4 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Gary lockes Contract expired and wasn't renewed. 

Don't let that stop your drama tho. 

The argument being made was it would be wrong to look for a replacement whilst the person was in position. Clearly no such moral problem with GL. 

4 minutes ago, Jodami said:

I agree to disagree sir! It's the fact that the appalling run went on for so long and there was no thought to look at alternatives after the inevitable. I find that a bit disappointing and the way we are going about recruiting a successor looks like the selection process from a different industry. If they really are that clueless, and it looks that way, then the sporting director should have been appointed first and they would help lead the search for a manager.

It actually looks like how the majority of companies source employees

I guess you just want to let a moan and groan out but it helps nobody

Of course if they select your man you'll forget the post you just made..by the way who is before an appointment is made.

Absolute Scenes
25 minutes ago, Paolo said:

I am not sure he has.   Ross got promotion with St Mirren.   McCall failed to get promotion with Rangers.  That said, I am not sure if Ross would have been the answer. 

McCall got 3rd in the Premier League, and then 2 2nd finishes in a row. That is outstanding. Promotion from League 1 isn't that big a deal

42 minutes ago, BobbyJenkins said:

Been a few very personal digs at Ann budge from. You on various threads, you’re a bit of a welt eh? 

Bobby, maybe some guys just cant deal with powerful wumin, or maybe he takes rejection badly. Definitely got an agenda. 

11 minutes ago, Jodami said:

Fine, but I’m not looking for a multi-post debate. We can agree to disagree. 

4 minutes ago, Absolute Scenes said:

McCall got 3rd in the Premier League, and then 2 2nd finishes in a row. That is outstanding. Promotion from League 1 isn't that big a deal

I don’t want him in the job but his record at Motherwell was excellent, much better than Robinson’s. 

10 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

It actually looks like how the majority of companies source employees

I guess you just want to let a moan and groan out but it helps nobody

Of course if they select your man you'll forget the post you just made..by the way who is before an appointment is made.

That was obviously the point I was making, football doesn't tend to work like that as most boards have an idea of who they want as a successor. Or in the director of football model they are the ones who have identified potential successors... but I think I covered that mistake earlier tbf.

I don't think the criticism is unfair and I didn't realise kickback was here to offer help and guidance.

On the point of my man I must confess I am not sure at all. All things considered I thought Robinson was a decent candidate but I also think there are reservations surrounding his experience. I was genuinely hoping that we had someone innovative up our sleeve but the candidates interviewed are not inspiring.

Edited by Jodami

LarrysRightFoot
1 hour ago, Haken said:

Absolutely no chance that Dhanny Lhennon will be at Hearts.  Next random name?

I can’t stress enough that I’m not saying we should go for him.

Im saying for the reasons mentioned and for the fact he won a major trophy with a ‘provisional’ club that’d I’d be surprised if his name hasn’t come up.

Edited by LarrysRightFoot

kingantti1874
2 minutes ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

I can’t stress enough that I’m not saying we should go for him.

Im saying for the reasons mentioned and for the fact he won a major trophy with a ‘provisional’ club that’d I’d be surprised if his name hasn’t come up.

for several years before Clyde he was coaching kids planet soccer in Armadale and Bathgate amongst other locations.. Itd be extraordinary if his name has come up .. 

Has Arteta been mentioned by anyone?

Knows the league. 

Done his badges I believe and is keen to get into management- whether he would leave his big money job at City remains to be seen! 

2 hours ago, jambonian said:

The old firm have had big players in their teams for years (well Glasgow Rangers did, not so many at Rangers 2012) and when we've recruited well in the past, the mid 90s for example when we signed the likes of Weir, Fulton, Cameron, McCann, Salvatori, Adam, Flogel and many others , we at least competed and gave them a game. At the moment Rangers 2012 must be relieved when they know they are playing us as the game's usually over by the time they score their first goal. Clubs like Killie and Livvy give them a harder time of it than we do. You don't need a massive budget if you recruit well and know how to set out a team (playing players in their natural positions often helps) but a lot of it is down to very effective scouting, something I believe we've lacked these last few years. Plenty good experienced pros around and finding a gem somewhere like we did with Adam or Flogel for example isn't beyond possibilities. We've also got good foreign ex-players all over Europe that could be consulted on any potential targets. Money does help, but it's not all about that.

This is exactly the type of thing I’d want to hear from potential managers at an interview 👍