Odds on next manager

DB-14

2 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

I think this is a sensible approach from the club. Filter through the CV’s, weed out the crap and the unrealistic or the ones we don’t think fit and interview the best that remains. I have interviewed a million people I knew wouldn’t be getting the job. See absolutely nothing wrong with interviewing the mentioned. What if McCall blew Budge away and had a great vision for Hearts, would be negligent of Budge to at least not hear what he had to say. Budge never offered Sergio a interview after he applied last time and people were raging cause he’s a club legend. This time we are raging cause we have interviewed the people that have applied. First round of interviews now done and we haven’t found the right person so let’s start targeting people, don’t see anything wrong with that approach. Due diligence seems to be the name of the game. Cathro was the wrong appointment, Levein was the wrong appointment. This one has to be right. Nothing wrong so far with the clubs approach to this. Feel pretty confident we will get the right man. 

That's the salient point , if the best remaining are McCann, McCall and Ross god help us . 

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• kingantti1874

• soonbe110

• mitch41

Bazzas right boot
28 minutes ago, Castle rock said:

Was macall not in charge for the playoff with Motherwell I can’t remember 

👍

3 minutes ago, MattyK82 said:

That’s just the first phase it seems. 

next set of interviews will be for people already in jobs:

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/latest-hearts-news/hearts-manager-search-moves-next-stage-after-four-candidates-are-interviewed-1042148

Not just if this 'first phase - people out if work, second phase - people in jobs' has come from the club or just the Evening News. 

Just now, ramrod said:

That's the salient point , if the best remaining are McCann, McCall and Ross god help us . 

Budge didn’t ask them to apply. If they are all that remained from the first round of CV’s then it says more about how we are viewed as a club and nothing to do with Budge whittling them down, unless I’ve missed some huge name manager that applied. I was worried that we hadn’t, as Cruyff has pointed out a few times, drawn up a list of currently employed managers to chase. Now that we have interview the CV pile we have turned our attention to going after an employed manager. That’s all sensible to me. 

1 minute ago, pointon said:

What is the point in wasting a week interviewing duds like this when they have no chance of getting the job (hopefully)

What’s the point in repeating the same, illogical nonsense on every thread and expecting a different response?

8 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

I think this is a sensible approach from the club. Filter through the CV’s, weed out the crap and the unrealistic or the ones we don’t think fit and interview the best that remains. I have interviewed a million people I knew wouldn’t be getting the job. See absolutely nothing wrong with interviewing the mentioned. What if McCall blew Budge away and had a great vision for Hearts, would be negligent of Budge to at least not hear what he had to say. Budge never offered Sergio a interview after he applied last time and people were raging cause he’s a club legend. This time we are raging cause we have interviewed the people that have applied. First round of interviews now done and we haven’t found the right person so let’s start targeting people, don’t see anything wrong with that approach. Due diligence seems to be the name of the game. Cathro was the wrong appointment, Levein was the wrong appointment. This one has to be right. Nothing wrong so far with the clubs approach to this. Feel pretty confident we will get the right man. 

Far too informed and professional .

Stop it 

The Old Tolbooth

Jesus Christ, the club set out a timescale at the beginning of the process, we are pretty much half way through that process now, it was even stated that AM would more than likely still be in charge for our next game at Killie, nothing has changed as we seek to appoint the right person, whether we do that or not is another story, but people pishing their nappies because we haven't appointed someone yet is a bit pathetic really. 

Just now, PB21 said:

Reckon Cotterill has to be one of front runners with Austin as SD

Why extend the process then ? 

There is no way we sre going back to Ciotriill , 

In work interview realistically covers Robinson and wee Robbo . 

Ive called this from day one . AM as SD and wee Robbo as manager or AM as manager and A N Orher as SD . That's the way this is panning out imo 

9 minutes ago, Absolute Scenes said:

Hopefully that settles the pant wetters down

Pant wetters...really. Stuart McCall and Neil McCann!!

12 minutes ago, Agentjambo said:

There are a lot better managers out there without a job than they 4 duffers.

There are, but possibly didn't apply or are just not interested.

Absolute Scenes
2 minutes ago, Agentjambo said:

Pant wetters...really. Stuart McCall and Neil McCann!!

McCall's done far more than Jack Ross has or probably will!

PANT - WETTERS

16 minutes ago, Martin_T said:

To say the least, I'd rather take a chance with MacPhee than any of those on that list.

Agreed, well certainly give him till say Xmas and see if he can get more out of what is s half decent squad when all fit.

4 hours ago, Haken said:

This is a prime example of editorial license to suit the ongoing agenda of 'Hate Hearts'.  She actually didn't say it would be a high profile manager; when asked if Hearts could attract such an individual, she responded by saying 'Why not?', or words to that effect.  What she did not say was that 'I will sign a high profile manager'.  But I'm guessing you know that.

Prime example .....no.

hate hearts.........no.

she did say........

keep guessing.

Tom Hardy’s Dug
1 hour ago, Paolo said:

Was McCall’s record with Rangers in the Championship not worse than Fat Sally’s.  

Between them, they both failed to get promoted, despite still having the second largest budget in Scotland, by far.    

Didn’t Graeme Murty have a better record at the Huns than McCall?

Needless to say I don’t want Murty as manager either.

Absolute Scenes

why are people roasting themselves over MCCall? I'm not saying I want him as manager, but as Motherwell manager he did more than Robinson has

Finished 3rd then 2nd twice in a row (yes, there were no bigger teams, but almost the same record as McInnes at Aberdeen) - that's a top 3 finish 3 seasons in a row, in a team with a lower budget than most bigger teams.

Just for the record - he's not my choice, but if he does get the gig, he's definitely not the worst candidate and does have a decent record in the SPL

13 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

Prime example .....no.

hate hearts.........no.

she did say........

keep guessing.

It's not guessing; it's listening.  She did not guarantee that she would sign a high profile manager.

Keep stirring and positioning yourself so that you can continue to hate those who run the club.

51 minutes ago, Castle rock said:

If that is accurate then it is grim and I would guess that Robinson or Macphee will end up with the job.

So, 

McAnn

McColl

Ross

Cotterill

confirmed by club as having been Interviewed so far. Is that it? Have I missed anyone else?
Budge now moving into the second phase of targeting those who are in employment.

phase one has filled me with dread for phase two.

Not a single exciting name has been interviewed, this appointment must be looked at as one that gets the fans back onside and at the moment that looks unlikely. 

Is the tactic to interview a load of rubbish and then say that Austin was the stand out candidate for the job. 

I just struggle to believe that out of all the candidates that have applied that those 4 were the stand out ones. 

genuinely hoping the bookies and the media are way of the mark and that Budge pull one out of the bag (not hopeful though) 

1 minute ago, scotty2442 said:

Not a single exciting name has been interviewed, this appointment must be looked at as one that gets the fans back onside and at the moment that looks unlikely. 

Is the tactic to interview a load of rubbish and then say that Austin was the stand out candidate for the job. 

I just struggle to believe that out of all the candidates that have applied that those 4 were the stand out ones. 

genuinely hoping the bookies and the media are way of the mark and that Budge pull one out of the bag (not hopeful though) 

If any of them were any good we wouldn't be moving to "stage 2" -  Chill!

9 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

If that is accurate then it is grim and I would guess that Robinson or Macphee will end up with the job.

If we are asking Motherwells permission to speak to Robinson, then he is the guy we want,  you don’t ask a guy in employment to attend an interview if you are not serious about offering him the post.

Definitely not in professional football anyway

we would have to agree on a release clause before Motherwell would even consider it

stirlingshirejambo
50 minutes ago, JamTarts51 said:

John Terry, an assistant in the EPL and most likely earnings millions per year and probably looking to snap up a championship/EPL job in the next few years. I can't even see him exploring the option at Hearts. Gerrard and Lampard are understandable as they have millions to spend and less likely to fail.

Lampard had no money to spend at all which is why he is going with many younger players.... and doing a fine job

9 minutes ago, Haken said:

It's not guessing; it's listening.  She did not guarantee that she would sign a high profile manager.

Keep stirring and positioning yourself so that you can continue to hate those who run the club.

Neil McCann is high profile. Played for two of the biggest clubs in Scotland, Scottish International and successful Sky Sports pundit. He’s also been a manager; just not a particularly successful one. The usual idiots have jumped on ‘high profile’ and run with it, without consideration of context.

18 minutes ago, Absolute Scenes said:

why are people roasting themselves over MCCall? I'm not saying I want him as manager, but as Motherwell manager he did more than Robinson has

Finished 3rd then 2nd twice in a row (yes, there were no bigger teams, but almost the same record as McInnes at Aberdeen) - that's a top 3 finish 3 seasons in a row, in a team with a lower budget than most bigger teams.

Just for the record - he's not my choice, but if he does get the gig, he's definitely not the worst candidate and does have a decent record in the SPL

Can't handle his drink so its a no.

Just now, Jambo647 said:

If we are asking Motherwells permission to speak to Robinson, then he is the guy we want,  you don’t ask a guy in employment to attend an interview if you are not serious about offering him the post.

Definitely not in professional football anyway

we would have to agree on a release clause before Motherwell would even consider it

That's not true - you can ask any amount of clubs you want if they'd grant you permission to speak to their manager - they say yes or no! They wont be running down to their manager to tell them either so some may be unaware a club has even approached them. It only gets messy when a club really want a manager and they leak it to the press and all hell breaks loose. 

3 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Neil McCann is high profile. Played for two of the biggest clubs in Scotland, Scottish International and successful Sky Sports pundit. He’s also been a manager; just not a particularly successful one. The usual idiots have jumped on ‘high profile’ and run with it, without consideration of context.

Where it went wrong for McCann at Dundee was in his player recruitment. They actually played pretty decent football at times.

Arguably with a sporting director above him to aid the recruitment process, he may just be a good choice.

1 hour ago, Agentjambo said:

If we are seriously only interviewing Neil McCann(sacked by Dundee!)Jack Ross,steve cottrill and Stuart McCall 

CAN THE WORLD STOP SO I CAN GET OFF!!

It says we are now contacting those already in jobs though... 🤷‍♂️

Leveins Battalion

Well fans desperate for Robinson to stay and saying theat Hearts are scraping the barrell interviewing Stuart McCall🤣🤣🤣

16 minutes ago, sac said:

So, 

McAnn

McColl

Ross

Cotterill

confirmed by club as having been Interviewed so far. Is that it? Have I missed anyone else?
Budge now moving into the second phase of targeting those who are in employment.

phase one has filled me with dread for phase two.

And the question I asked yesterday was answered this morning. Donald Park, a club Lawyer & Ann Budge are doing the interviews.

6 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

It says we are now contacting those already in jobs though... 🤷‍♂️

No. You need to be really dramatic and misquote a Stone Roses B side👍

1 hour ago, Agentjambo said:

There are a lot better managers out there without a job than they 4 duffers.

Aye but they need to have applied and be interested

Random shout, and the job is probably way too big for him at the moment. But Stewart Petrie was appointed at Montrose in 2017, got them promoted as champions of League Two in 2017/18, kept them up last season and has just won 6 games in a row to put them in touch at the top again in League One.

2 minutes ago, LeylandJambo said:

It's all went a bit quiet on the Warnock storyline. 😬

Maybe the 'recently sacked managers' is the third shortlist for interviews.

1 minute ago, Notts1874 said:

No. You need to be really dramatic and misquote a Stone Roses B side👍

I don’t think you think like I do, mate.

57 minutes ago, jambo1998 said:

Neil fecking McCann, jesus wept. 

I’ve no problem with us interviewing Neil. There’s plenty of top managers that have been sacked early in their careers. I also don’t like to see us being so disrespectful to a former great. It wasn’t pleasant to see us all turn on Levein, let’s not start slagging off more guys that brought us so many happy memories.

AlphonseCapone

I don't understand the, "I want someone that won't jump ship at a bigger gig" chat. Firstly, almost every manager would, they don't think like Hearts fans, they think like people with careers. I'd actually question their ambition if they didn't jump ship to a bigger gig. And second, related to that, I want someone that believes they can go to the highest positions. Which we aren't, let's be honest. We love our club but we're small fish in the football world.

Having seen the latest update on interviews I really hope there is an exciting candidate currently coaching that we are going after, not just Robinson. The already interviewed are very meh. Is there any realistic already in a job candidate that would be an interesting and realistic shout? My broader football knowledge isn't good enough for this sort of thing.

Weighing up where we are today, if the 4 or now 3 candidates not in a job are the only people we are looking at who are currently unemployed then that seems to discount Warnock, Hughes, Stendel and Keane from the process. Looking at potential candidates who are in a job that would seem to be Robinson, Robbo , Freedman and Terry (which I find highly unlikely on wages and budget available for players). So I think realistically Robinson, Robbo and Freedman. Of those three I am inclined to think Robinson would put the strongest case of knowing the league, working with the budget and being on an upward curve in his career. That makes me think we are talking about a realistic shortlist of MacPhee, Cotterill and Robinson. Working on the premise that I think MacPhee will definitely be kept as he is close to Budge I think he will end up as the SD. So that leaves Robinson and Cotterill. Based on what both bring to the table the more tangible evidence of having Motherwell punching above their weight in the league would make Robinson seem the least risky proposition (and this seems to be a key consideration as they are taking their time) and I can see him being appointed as manager. So, in summary MacPhee as SD and Robinson as manager is how I can see this panning out.

Adam_the_legend
35 minutes ago, Haken said:

You need to listen better then, she did say what you’re saying she didn’t say. Not just answering in a question in the affirmative, she did also say experienced, high profile manager herself.