Odds on next manager

DB-14

29 minutes ago, Vlad the impaler said:

Only at hearts eh. I know he has a lot of experience in the game but it’s definitely some promotion he’s got himself

He's worth it just for Arbroath away in the fog.

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• kingantti1874

• soonbe110

• mitch41

1 hour ago, Vlad the impaler said:

Apparently board of directors and taking advice from youth coach Donald Park

I believe a panel of reasonably minded fans would do a more thorough job

The Old Tolbooth
Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, JFK-1 said:

What'st he obsession with the OF? If beating them is the criteria for a manager job in Scotland then almost everybody will be sacked every season.

Know what i'm obsessed with? Beating Aberdeen and hubz more often than not. That's the real criteria.

Yip, under CL and jj we got absolutely roasted by the of on most occasions. 

Beating the rest is what matters. 

Continued progression is the key as well. 

1 hour ago, GinRummy said:

This is important to me. Just about everyone connected to Scottish football kowtows to them in one way or another. From biased refs to biased media. I’m not expecting to catch up with them anytime soon but I’d rather have someone who hasn’t played for them or coached them. Who knows, maybe the new guy could actually see the old firm for the filth they are and learn to hate them as much as I do.

Ever think maybe they are just far richer than us and have far better players than us?

10 minutes ago, sac said:

I believe a panel of reasonably minded fans would do a more thorough job

Thorough job at what?

Advising of the funds available for transfers?

Setting and negotiating wages of manager and any staff?

Having the contacts to research previous jobs / get people to apply? 

Stuart McCall is surely due another spell as Bradford manger, he goes back there every few years after being sacked at whatever job he was at in the intervening period.

Just now, Castle rock said:

John Terry now 8/1 with sky bet 

John Terry's Hearts versus Steven Gerrard's Rangers?

An EPL fanboi's wet dream.

1 hour ago, JFK-1 said:

What'st he obsession with the OF? If beating them is the criteria for a manager job in Scotland then almost everybody will be sacked every season.

Know what i'm obsessed with? Beating Aberdeen and hubz more often than not. That's the real criteria.

Pretty much agree with this. Of course toppling the OF has to be the dream, but you have to have a line between ambition and expectation. Our expectations should be to compete for 3rd more or less every season. Our ambitions should be to one day become a force capable of going a step further.

I hate this sudden mantra from Hearts supporters that we should be competing with Celtic and Rangers more than we do. And no doubt someone will reply to this calling me a soft touch and everything wrong with our club right now.

3 minutes ago, Castle rock said:

John Terry now 8/1 with sky bet 

Probably a few lumped on it since the news broke that he's there. Was enticing price at 11's for someone who's came out of nowhere.

Skybet would probably be a bit ITK with that one, although still if there was any real truth in it then you'd imagine those odds will drop further very quickly.

8 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Thorough job at what?

Advising of the funds available for transfers?

Setting and negotiating wages of manager and any staff?

Having the contacts to research previous jobs / get people to apply? 

Sporting Director can deal with that.

The panel’s role is to select the right candidate. Not that difficult given the previous two who were selected by those involved this time around

32 minutes ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

Not as daft as it sounds really, If It's a start in management he's after why not but as soon as a bigger club comes calling he's offski, I think it's important we get stability with the new manager and he wouldn't fit the bill for me, no thanks all the same.

Edited by allyby

21 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Ever think maybe they are just far richer than us and have far better players than us?

Yes I do think that. How does that negate what I said?

Very difficult to see how Terry fits the bill of an experienced manager after one year as an assistant and I would be surprised if his current salary is not more than we can offer. Doubtful. 

13 minutes ago, Locky said:

Pretty much agree with this. Of course toppling the OF has to be the dream, but you have to have a line between ambition and expectation. Our expectations should be to compete for 3rd more or less every season. Our ambitions should be to one day become a force capable of going a step further.

I hate this sudden mantra from Hearts supporters that we should be competing with Celtic and Rangers more than we do. And no doubt someone will reply to this calling me a soft touch and everything wrong with our club right now.

I think most fans realise it will take years if not decades to catch the old firm. I think most folk would be happy to achieve the odd result against them for now.

6 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

I think most fans realise it will take years if not decades to catch the old firm. I think most folk would be happy to achieve the odd result against them for now.

I've had many recently blast me for saying stuff like I did in my last post. Apparently to some, I'm a negative, defeatist Hearts fan and it's this mentality which is killing our club. :rofl: 

Would take John Terry, an absolute winner and I suspect he will have sounded Whelan out about Hearts if he is indeed interested. Great foot on the managerial ladder for him. Folk saying he would be off at another job, however it's no different to Gerrard and Rodgers before him. If they land another gig it's because they have delivered the goods and I have no problem with that.

1 hour ago, Sir Gio said:

The chips are good in Leyland, shop next to Tescos pretty good I have to say.

Away from my second favourite topic chips to my favourite, Hearts.

This is a crucial important. As well as being a smart effective and positive coach, he is going to have to be able to galvanise the fans. He has to be someone that generates a buzz.

Those listed so far don't, its getting the exciting profile looking for a break rather than somebody down on their luck

Much better chippy at the top of Golden Hill. Anyways on to matters at hand. I can't think offhand anybody on the list of names that would galvanize the fans with the exception of Stendel and I really don't think we'vegot the players to play his style of game.

rudi must stay
9 hours ago, afanderson33 said:

But Hearts didn’t make him. Dundee did. And he played for them, for free, in their hour of need after he’d retired. Why wouldn’t that old firm game be the best of his life? He scored two goals in the match that won them the title. 

You’re not much of a fan now either although you do write like an 8 year old. 

Ye, season ticket holder, listen to all the away games I can (sometimes I've been working) ye not much of a fan...

If you are after fantastic grammar you're in the wrong place :thumbsup:

Edited by rudi must stay

2 minutes ago, Locky said:

I've had many recently blast me for saying stuff like I did in my last post. Apparently to some, I'm a negative, defeatist Hearts fan and it's this mentality which is killing our club. :rofl: 

Aye, it gets a bit silly on here at times. I think some of it comes from some of the performances (not necessarily the results) we’ve had to endure in Glasgow over the last couple of seasons. 

The thing at the moment seems to be not getting a manager with OF connections or even avoiding Scottish managers altogether. I think it’s a wee bit of a generalisation but it’s what I’d prefer as well. 

48 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Yip, under CL and jj we got absolutely roasted by the of on most occasions. 

Beating the rest is what matters. 

Continued progression is the key as well. 

Correct ,  but to win any kind of trophy, the old firm must be beaten "  hearts fans want a trophy of some sort  ,  and a manager that could find the formula to do them ( arse cheeks) even in a cup  ,is what we want ......so if it was McCall or whoever's?   Let's give him a chance to prove himself ?     After the levein debacle  a new man and boot room squad are welcome: let's hope mrs budge and co get it right ........👏👏👏🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻🇶🇦🇶🇦🇶🇦

37 minutes ago, Martin_T said:

John Terry's Hearts versus Steven Gerrard's Rangers?

An EPL fanboi's wet dream.

Jts  jamtarts ,, got a nice wee ring to it  🛎🛎🛎🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻

Guy like John Terry we will instantly attract some players. Certainly opens up to loan signings. 

Again the choice is a person who you think will do well. 

Terry, if he is actually interested, would certainly bring a high profile and potentially access to getting loan players from the Chelsea youth academy.

5 minutes ago, Heartsofgold said:

Why?  Would you have said no to Steven Gerrard?

John Terry's leadership credentials are far stronger than those of Gerrard and he is still young enough to have a reputation which resonates all the way down to the youngsters in the Academy.

2 minutes ago, David McCaig said:

John Terry's leadership credentials are far stronger than those of Gerrard and he is still young enough to have a reputation which resonates all the way down to the youngsters in the Academy.

Oh I agree 100%.  He has a good reputation at Villa.  I would be happy with him taking Hearts as his 1st big job.  The man's a leader and a winner.  He would not put up with half-hearted players.

4 minutes ago, David McCaig said:

Terry, Lampard and Gerrard were all great professionals. Great examples to all players. 

(Off the field stuff with Terry but most people in game see through that and see a top professional) 

35 minutes ago, Jodami said:

Very difficult to see how Terry fits the bill of an experienced manager after one year as an assistant and I would be surprised if his current salary is not more than we can offer. Doubtful. 

Mans ok for money ,its a challenge for him ,and this is scottish football,, be a great coup getting him ,born winner .....

IF (big if) the John Terry story has any legs - this would be EXACTLY the type of statement of Intent that I would get right behind immediately. OK, his personal/private life may have more colour than a Rainbow Kiddies Annual from 1975, but he's a PROVEN WINNER, hungry to learn, and he's be an immediate huge fish in a wee pond up here. He would know that too .... Watching this space with interest now.

38 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Yes I do think that. How does that negate what I said?

I just think that going to Ibrox or Parkhead and showing no fear, is more likely to end in a thrashing than a victory. 

1 minute ago, Chambie15 said:

IF (big if) the John Terry story has any legs - this would be EXACTLY the type of statement of Intent that I would get right behind immediately. OK, his personal/private life may have more colour than a Rainbow Kiddies Annual from 1975, but he's a PROVEN WINNER, hungry to learn, and he's be an immediate huge fish in a wee pond up here. He would know that too .... Watching this space with interest now.

Take him now !!!! 

2 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

I just think that going to Ibrox or Parkhead and showing no fear, is more likely to end in a thrashing than a victory. 

Showing no fear doesn’t mean cavalry charge. 

4 minutes ago, johnking123 said:

John Terry with an experienced number two could work. 

Like say , Warnock as a SD ? 

find it hard to believe were being linked with him for real but that would certainly make people sit up and take notice.  generate some good interest in the league also with him and Gerrard here.  Great player and leader would be delighted if we pushed the boat out and got him.  

3 minutes ago, johnking123 said:

John Terry with an experienced number two could work. 

JT and DP as assistant.

Donald Park, before the innuendos start!

Just now, Chambie15 said:

He's the sort of guy who could help transform the youth set up, alongside raising standards and expectations in the first team.

Those of us who question academies and whether players are developing correctly fundamentally are questioning whether the youngsters have the necessary drive, desire and belief. 

John Terry is one of the best examples of a player who made the most of his talents.