Levein’s time is up...

Heartsofgold

1 minute ago, Boab said:

Bordeaux, mate.

Boab you are so right my brain was actually almost nearly right just got the teams and the managers wrong...other than that it is working great ! ?

• Replies 20k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Spoleto

• Pasquale for King

• Alex Kintner

• JamboAl

Just now, jock _turd said:

Boab you are so right my brain was actually almost nearly right just got the teams and the managers wrong...other than that it is working great ! ?

No worries, mate. 

Oh, for some of those games again !

I miss Europe....badly !

15 minutes ago, thewiseone said:

Then again there are those who just sit at home and tell other fans how they should be supporting the team!

Thats a great way to debate. Lets not discuss the points raised by Frank just accuse him of never going to games even though people who know him know he does go to games....

superb bit of debating.....

Can you imagine Rangers without McGregor , Morelos maybe Tavernier and Candeias for 4months? They would of been a very poor team. Aberdeen haven’t any real stand outs but if you take out Shinnie they struggle. Kilmarnock have lost Stewart and they have gone downhill since January so the people saying they have been fine are manipulating things to suit themselves.

Mr Elwood P
27 minutes ago, jock _turd said:

To be honest for me it is not about the position in the league of the fact we have a good chance of reaching a cup final on a diet largely of substandard lower division teams. It is the fact that we are playing totally rank football... football of the sort you would not want to pay to watch. That is what is grinding my gears absolutely turgid football game on game.

Perhaps a more objective view of the situation would help. We are definitely not playing brilliant football just now but why the assumption that Levein is the sole root of the problem. A more balanced view would be to also acknowledge other factors, such as:

1.  Our two most consistent performers, Steven Naismith and Michael Smith, are currently out injured. Naismith is a level above most players in the league, when fit. We clearly miss his goals, assists and general impact on the team when he isn't playing or when he isn't fully fit. Smith is a very solid right back, adding experience and consistent performance levels. We could also argue that we were about to see the best of Mitchell again, two assists and a goal in his last appearance.

2. Has any player not had surgery? Not only are we still missing key players but the majority of our key players have had surgery in the last 12 months. I make it Godinho, Berra, Souttar, Uche, Djoum, Haring, Keena, Wighton, Morrison and Sean Clare. This has had a visible impact on performance levels of the players returning and will also affect confidence and the mental element if of a players game.

3. Confidence, the downturn in form has clearly effected what is largely a young and / or developing squad. Instead of showing any form of support and understanding players like Wighton, Clare & Mulraney are verbally chastised from the stands. This I doubt will encourage development or increased performance levels.

Anyone with a modicum of common sense would be able to look at all the factors and take them into consideration instead of fastening onto a singular issue. Levein has and will continue to make mistakes, as all human being do, but other factors must also be considered. It is no coincidence that at the start of the season with a fully fit squad we were performing at a much higher level.

1 minute ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Perhaps a more objective view of the situation would help. We are definitely not playing brilliant football just now but why the assumption that Levein is the sole root of the problem. A more balanced view would be to also acknowledge other factors, such as:

1.  Our two most consistent performers, Steven Naismith and Michael Smith, are currently out injured. Naismith is a level above most players in the league, when fit. We clearly miss his goals, assists and general impact on the team when he isn't playing or when he isn't fully fit. Smith is a very solid right back, adding experience and consistent performance levels. We could also argue that we were about to see the best of Mitchell again, two assists and a goal in his last appearance.

2. Has any player not had surgery? Not only are we still missing key players but the majority of our key players have had surgery in the last 12 months. I make it Godinho, Berra, Souttar, Uche, Djoum, Haring, Keena, Wighton, Morrison and Sean Clare. This has had a visible impact on performance levels of the players returning and will also affect confidence and the mental element if of a players game.

3. Confidence, the downturn in form has clearly effected what is largely a young and / or developing squad. Instead of showing any form of support and understanding players like Wighton, Clare & Mulraney are verbally chastised from the stands. This I doubt will encourage development or increased performance levels.

Anyone with a modicum of common sense would be able to look at all the factors and take them into consideration instead of fastening onto a singular issue. Levein has and will continue to make mistakes, as all human being do, but other factors must also be considered. It is no coincidence that at the start of the season with a fully fit squad we were performing at a much higher level.

Good post

Alex Kintner
1 hour ago, thewiseone said:

Then again there are those who just sit at home and tell other fans how they should be supporting the team!

Whether sitting at home, at the game or on the toilet, it’s pretty obvious that spending the match screaming at the manager while we’re winning isn’t supporting the team.

On 10/03/2019 at 12:58, hatrickhartley said:

why do so many people think reaching a semi finsl is "success"?. 

Well, the fact that not reaching semis was seen as a stick to beat the club with, probably comes in to it. Check out this thread for example:

2 hours ago, PTBCAL said:

Huge game tonight for CL.

Lose and think there is no real future past the summer for him. 

But we're 4th and made it to 1 semi final 

2 minutes ago, Barack said:

What a pity that penis of a poster has joined the other lot. Was always so reasonable.

It's quite some thread actually. I've always been of the opinion that reaching a final is not a mark of success. Winning a trophy is. I've had that debate with people in the past, when folk were whining about Hibs being better than us in Cups because, they reach more finals.

2 hours ago, sadj said:

Been saying it for ages football is a confidence assisted game...confidence comes from the top down not the bottom up. I am also getting tired of hearing about injury lists, although you are right we have had a hell of a lot so far this season, they are not the reason nor an excuse for some of the tosh that has been served up not only this season but last season as well. Quite clearly CL has decided he has no faith or trust in the players who have stepped in to shore up the team and reverted to punt and chase football. What ever way I do not expect nor want CL replaced at this point in the season as I don't think it would solve anything in terms of this season's  objectives. If we cannot overcome Partick and then ICT I would be a little underwhelmed though. Personally I think CL's own health issues have not helped him, he cuts a very tired looking chappy out on the touchline at times.

Edited by jock _turd

Inch Hearts
3 hours ago, frankblack said:

So what you are overlooking is the fact we signed the likes of Skacel, and 20+ players on loads of money to produce a team that moved up a level after the dip when Robbo replaced Levein.

Levein got us into the Europa group stages, knocking out a highly rated Braga side and einning away in Basle - somewhere we haven't been close to since.

Levein didn't win in Basle.  He had walked out by then. 

Inch Hearts
3 minutes ago, Inch Hearts said:

Levein didn't win in Basle.  He had walked out by then. 

He was in charge for a pumping in Holland but had left before Schalke came to Murrayfield. 

3 hours ago, To Be Frank said:

The injuries we have had and the other teams have had don’t compare at all mate. None of those teams was missing their two first choice centrebacks and centreforwards for months.

There’s no doubt he deserves criticism and the football has been poor over the last four months but sacking him now would be ridiculous given where we are sitting and what we could end the season with.

Nobody (that i can see) is trying to say there doesn’t need to be improvement. I think people are just fed up with the hyperbole and undue abuse the manager gets from some. I mean we had someone at Dens on Saturday who spent the second half of the game (which we were winning) sceaming at the manager ather than getting behind the team. We’ve got others who want us to get beaten by Hibs to get rid of the manager. For some I think it really is personal and their hatred of Levein is greater than their love of the club.

? Let's pump this mob the night.

16 hours ago, To Be Frank said:

It’s a ridiculous statement. By that reckoning Robbo is only a legend because we managed to win the cup in 98 and Mackay and Colqhoun wouldn’t be classed as legends. ?

Other players who wouldn’t be classed as legends for their club because they didn’t win a trophy:

Matt Le Tissier? Southampton legend? Nah mate, didn’t win a trophy!

Rob Lee? Newcastle legend? Nah mate, didn’t win a trophy!

:rofl:

Clutching at straws bringing up Rob Lee and Le Tissier, also being a club with the 3rd/4th highest budget in the country you should be winning cups every so often, it’s a bit different for clubs like Southampton and Newcastle. 

39 minutes ago, Inch Hearts said:

He was in charge for a pumping in Holland but had left before Schalke came to Murrayfield. 

Did Robbo not kick Laslo after the Ferencevaros game that tournament at Murrayfield?

Inch Hearts
1 minute ago, ollie2004 said:

Did Robbo not kick Laslo after the Ferencevaros game that tournament at Murrayfield?

Yeah.  Think so :lol: 

Random format the groups where too, was well confusing.  Only 2 home and 2 away games in a group of 5.

4 hours ago, Glib and Shameless Crier said:

Wouldn’t have thought you were a fan of dredging up what people have said previously Kimosavi? ?

No problem with it whatsoever ??

When its done 400 times then it just gets tedious and boring for everyone else, especially when its off topic and a form off comfort blanket 

You're too old for a comfort blanket now ?

Alex Kintner
1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

? Let's pump this mob the night.

??

45 minutes ago, UcheGang said:

Clutching at straws bringing up Rob Lee and Le Tissier, also being a club with the 3rd/4th highest budget in the country you should be winning cups every so often, it’s a bit different for clubs like Southampton and Newcastle. 

So John Colqhoun and Gary Mackay are not Hearts legends?

:notsure:

4 hours ago, jock _turd said:

To be honest for me it is not about the position in the league of the fact we have a good chance of reaching a cup final on a diet largely of substandard lower division teams. It is the fact that we are playing totally rank football... football of the sort you would not want to pay to watch. That is what is grinding my gears absolutely turgid football game on game.

This boy gets it.

It is the needless honking style of football the vast majority of weeks that is the issue.

We should be at least 3rd and in 2 semis, that should be a given, but that could also be achieved playing football.

1 hour ago, Glib and Shameless Crier said:

It's quite some thread actually. I've always been of the opinion that reaching a final is not a mark of success. Winning a trophy is. I've had that debate with people in the past, when folk were whining about Hibs being better than us in Cups because, they reach more finals.

There's two ways to win the Cup. Have a cracking season - even just being a good cup side- and deservedly win. Or keep knocking on the door and eventually the odds favour you. Under JJ we had to keep knocking on the door. With Ivanauskas we had a cracking team. 

So whilst its not a mark of success, and I did think Hibs coming away patting themselves on the back for "only" getting cuffed by 3 goals in one final was risible, I'd still say getting to finals is important, particularly if you are building and maintaining a similar squad over a couple of seasons. 

Alex Kintner
2 minutes ago, Gambo said:

This boy gets it.

It is the needless honking style of football the vast majority of weeks that is the issue.

We should be at least 3rd and in 2 semis, that should be a given, but that could also be achieved playing football.

Agree the football has been poor.

When you say we should be 3rd, what is that based on?

Pasquale for King

Big night tonight for everyone involved with the club,

Edited by Pasquale for King

Pasquale for King
5 hours ago, Mr Elwood P said:

All fair points. Few things though. If Naismith wasn’t fully fit he shouldn’t have been rushed back in December as we weren’t great even when he played.

Should we be so reliant on him considering his injury problems and that we signed 19 other players this season? 

We havent had a fully fit squad, Djoum/Brandon/Godhino weren’t fit when the season started then Berra was injured in the 2nd game. Unfortunately most clubs never have a fully fit squad in modern football.

The style of football is turgid, it’s unnecessarily so when we have signed so many players, quite a few of whom are quite good if played in the right position and allowed to attack.

doctor jambo
3 hours ago, UcheGang said:

The difficulty we face is the massive gulf between the OF and the rest of the league.

What you really need to do is avoid them, then essentially fluke a win when you do face them.

Its a big ask.

Having a rare event by beating Rangers/Celtic fall on the biggest game of the year ( a final) is a truly odd thing to happen.

3 hours ago, UcheGang said:

Like say Liverpool? 

40 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

The difficulty we face is the massive gulf between the OF and the rest of the league.

What you really need to do is avoid them, then essentially fluke a win when you do face them.

Its a big ask.

Having a rare event by beating Rangers/Celtic fall on the biggest game of the year ( a final) is a truly odd thing to happen.

Its even rarer with Rangers who don't exist and their tribute act has not won anything.

3 hours ago, To Be Frank said:

Agree the football has been poor.

When you say we should be 3rd, what is that based on?

Because I think we should be beating every team in the league home and away apart from old firm. I know that will never happen (football is football and 'shock results happen.......far too often for us) but it should be what we aim for.

With the league as poor as it is this year even 3rd is nothing to shout home about, anything less than that is poor.

I can't get my head around the argument that because Hibs and Aberdeen have poor results it is acceptable for us to have the same.

I am also aware and accept others do not share the same ambitions for us. 

The Future's Maroon
21 hours ago, luckydug said:

So desperate to play down any possible credit for our cup run got to distort the facts.

Its beginning to look as if some people want us to fail just to justify their opinions.

“It’s beginning”?!

I’d say it’s been like that since the day he got the job, how many threads have we had like this one? 

Wait it till the end of the season and see where we finish, league and Scottish Cup, some on here might get a pleasant surprise (can’t guarantee of course ?).

Inch Hearts
1 hour ago, Boab said:

Quite !

Or, closer to home, Aberdeen ?

What Liverpool or Aberdeen legend played or managed them over a 20 year capacity and won nothing?

Alex Kintner
1 hour ago, Gambo said:

Because I think we should be beating every team in the league home and away apart from old firm. I know that will never happen (football is football and 'shock results happen.......far too often for us) but it should be what we aim for.

With the league as poor as it is this year even 3rd is nothing to shout home about, anything less than that is poor.

I can't get my head around the argument that because Hibs and Aberdeen have poor results it is acceptable for us to have the same.

I am also aware and accept others do not share the same ambitions for us. 

I think every day should start with a blow job from the wife, breakfast cooked by Nigella Lawson and then a massage from Holly Willoughby. About as realistic as saying we should be beating every team outside the old firm home and away. No team in ANY league does this. Also not sure why you include Aberdeen when they have a bigger player budget than us.

I start every season hoping we can do a Leicester and win enough games to win the league. I’m not unrealistic enough to believe we should be winning the league (which is what you’re saying if you think we should be beating everyone except the old firm)

Edited by To Be Frank

3 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

All fair points. Few things though. If Naismith wasn’t fully fit he shouldn’t have been rushed back in December as we weren’t great even when he played.

Should we be so reliant on him considering his injury problems and that we signed 19 other players this season? 

We havent had a fully fit squad, Djoum/Brandon/Godhino weren’t fit when the season started then Berra was injured in the 2nd game. Unfortunately most clubs never have a fully fit squad in modern football.

The style of football is turgid, it’s unnecessarily so when we have signed so many players, quite a few of whom are quite good if played in the right position and allowed to attack.

What do you think the team should be for tonight?

2 hours ago, The Future's Maroon said:

“It’s beginning”?!

I’d say it’s been like that since the day he got the job, how many threads have we had like this one? 

Wait it till the end of the season and see where we finish, league and Scottish Cup, some on here might get a pleasant surprise (can’t guarantee of course ?).

Heard he's away at the end of the season anyway. Be patient 

29 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

I think every day should start with a blow job from the wife, breakfast cooked by Nigella Lawson and then a massage from Holly Willoughby. About as realistic as saying we should be beating every team outside the old firm home and away. No team in ANY league does this. Also not sure why you include Aberdeen when they have a bigger player budget than us.

I start every season hoping we can do a Leicester and win enough games to win the league. I’m not unrealistic enough to believe we should be winning the league (which is what you’re saying if you think we should be beating everyone except the old firm)

Why not a blowjob from Holly n massage from the wife? Agree with the rest of the post though and that does not mean accepting mediocrity

Seymour M Hersh
6 hours ago, Gambo said:

This boy gets it.

When have we ever achieved this season on season? 

12 hours ago, bobskeldon said:

Are you implying that IF Hearts had won the LC, were sitting top of the league and go onto win the SC

whilst playing expansive, attractive football that some "folk" would still want CL out? Really!!!!

I'm saying we have a great chance of a cup final and 3rd and folk still want him out.

12 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Ok here goes ;- we used 32 players that season, JJ loved a signing.

At points during the season Sergio was without Rudi/Suso/Driver/Temps/Kyle/Hamil/Mroweic/Jonsson/Beattie/Kello/Stevo/Sutton for various reasons. 

Levein inherited a squad in 2017 that he helped assemble, he’s signed 30 players and we still aren’t much better or have a first choice 11 and play a brand of football from a bygone era.

Was Sergio without his 4 best players for extended periods all at the same time, including a key semi final?

48 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Was Sergio without his 4 best players for extended periods all at the same time, including a key semi final?

Some people on here are clearly seething that Hearts won tonight.

:smugger:

Absolute Scenes

?????????????????????????

what a shame for some. That’s 2 semi finals in his first full season in charge for old negative craigy 

?????????

Enzo Chiefo
1 hour ago, ToqueJambo said:

I'm saying we have a great chance of a cup final and 3rd and folk still want him out.

Finish ahead of Aberdeen? Aberdeen that have won at Hampden, Ibrox and Parkhead within the last year. Aberdeen that repeated the trick at Ibrox tonight?????

Seymour M Hersh
8 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Finish ahead of Aberdeen? Aberdeen that have won at Hampden, Ibrox and Parkhead within the last year. Aberdeen that repeated the trick at Ibrox tonight?????

You must gutted.

Results and cup runs have maybe just about secured Levein one more season if he actually wants it. 

But the improvement that is still required is monumental. The level of performance and quality of the side from

an attacking perspective is truly abysmal. 

Enzo Chiefo
15 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

You must gutted.

Not touched a drop. Don't drink midweek. 

JamboGraham
27 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Do they just convert the cup wins into bonus 3 points and carry last seasons wins over?

Edited by JamboGraham

Absolute Scenes
31 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Out of curiosity...how many cups have Aberdeen won since we won the Scottish cup last?

Edited by Absolute Scenes

• JKBMod 12 changed the title to Levein’s time is up...
  • davemclaren pinned and unpinned this topic
  • davemclaren locked this topic