Levein’s time is up...

Heartsofgold

2 minutes ago, Spoleto said:

That doesn't look unreasonable to me. 

A lot of young players in there and a lot of decent players in there too.

agree. It’s been a bit of a hit and miss. Less so this season when not so concerned on bringing big numbers of players in. 

• Replies 20k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Spoleto

• Pasquale for King

• Alex Kintner

• JamboAl

1 minute ago, Spoleto said:

Translation - It wouldn't suit your agenda.

Coming from you, that's comical. 

My only agenda is to see a competent head coach at Heart of Midlothian. I'd have been happy if that had been Levein, but it isn't and never will be. I strongly suspect that a Levein protégé wouldn't be that coach either. The mere thought of that possibility is horrendous. 

It's nothing personal against Craig, no agenda, no petty dislike...he's just not very good. 

9 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

you did. So why do we needs lists of rangers and hibs signings? So hibs bought Doidge and we bought Washington but they bought kamberi and we bought vanacek? 

so what ? 

🤣

I think because Levein was being attacked for the number and quality of signings during his tenure. 

Having seen the list I don't think it's bad at all , and I wouldn't;t expect to be any worse than the likes of Hibs.

Thanks to Rudy for taking the time to put it together.

16 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Not at all. 

Our numbers mean nothing if not given context. 

I think they'll be high but compared to say the other top 5 clubs it would give far more context. 

Nothing changes our 6th place finish last season and our poor start this season.

You can stand down, soldier. 

:rifle:

1 hour ago, Rudy T said:

Here's the list - Walker on twice as he left and returned. Aside from walker its players who made a league appearance,  and split into the season they joined or made their first appearance.

14-15 15-16 16-17 17-18 18-19 19-20  
Adam Eckersley Abiola Dauda Aaron Hughes Aidan Keena Aaron Hickey Craig Halkett  
Alim Ozturk Arnaud Djoum Alexandros Tziolis Alex Petkov Ben Garuccio Conor Washington  
Alistair Roy Blazej Augustyn Andraz Struna Andy Irving Bobby Burns Glenn Whelan  
Angus Beith Callumn Morrison Bjorn Johnsen Anthony McDonald Callumn Morrison Loic Damour  
Billy King Danny Swanson Choulay Ashley Smith-Brown Clevid Dikamona Joel Pereira  
Brad McKay Dario Zanatta Conor Sammon Cammy Logan Colin Doyle Jamie Walker  
Callum Paterson Don Cowie Dario Zanatta Chris Hamilton Conor Shaughnessy Ryotaro Meshino  
Dale Carrick Gavin Reilly Don Cowie Christophe Berra Craig Wighton Aidy White  
Danny Wilson Igor Rossi Dylan Bikey Cole Stockton David Vanecek    
Gary Oliver John Souttar Euan Henderson Connor Randall Jake Mulraney    
Genero Zeefuik Juanma Faycal Rherras Connor Smith Jimmy Dunne    
Jack Hamilton Juwon Oshaniwa Isma Daniel Baur Oliver Bozanic    
James Keatings Lewis Moore Jamie Brandon Danny Amankwaa Olly Lee    
Jamie Walker Liam Smith Krystian Nowak Demetri Mitchell Peter Haring    
Jason Holt Perry Kitchen Lennard Sowah Harry Cochrane Ryan Edwards    
Jordan McGhee   Malaury Martin Joaquim Adao Sean Clare    
Kenny Anderson   Robbie Muirhead Jon McLaughlin Steven MacLean    
Kevin McHattie   Rory Currie Kyle Lafferty Uche Ikpeazu    
Miguel Pallardo   Tasos Avlonitis Leeroy Makovora Zdenek Zlamal    
Morgaro Gomis   Tony Watt Manuel Milinkovic      
Neil Alexander   Viktor Noring Marcus Godinho      
Osman Sow     Michael Smith      
Prince Buaben     Rafal Grzelak      
Robbie Buchanan     Ross Callachan      
Sam Nicholson     Steven Naismith      
Scott Gallacher            
Scott Robinson            
Sean McKirdy            
Soufian El Hassnaoui            

Jesus Christ. Some amount of shite in there who have played for this famous football club 

1 minute ago, Spoleto said:

I think because Levein was being attacked for the number and quality of signings during his tenure. 

Having seen the list I don't think it's bad at all , and I wouldn't;t expect to be any worse than the likes of Hibs.

Thanks to Rudy for taking the time to put it together.

regardless of who hibs have signed, as hearts fans we are able to judge the list on its own merits.

we have been in a position, for whatever reason, where we have needed to sign big numbers of players at once. This is obviously fraught with risk and it shows with some of the sacks of shit we’ve ended up with.

i don’t think leveins signings are the problem. I’ve said on numerous occasions a better manager would get more from the players available.

Johnny Sandiego
1 hour ago, Rudy T said:

Here's the list - Walker on twice as he left and returned. Aside from walker its players who made a league appearance,  and split into the season they joined or made their first appearance.

Ross Callachan      
      Steven Naismith      

What point is the list actually demonstrating though?

Is it Levein has signed too many players? If so then you would have to discount around a 3rd of the list as they were either already at the club when he joined or they were youth team graduates.

Is it Levein uses too many players? In that case why have you included 3 seasons when he wasn't picking the team?

Is it Hearts in general are signing or playing too many players? In that case a comparison to other teams in our league is needed for context.

While that list looks big, we have to consider some of those players were needed for a specific reason at a specific time. Some were brought in on a short term basis to plug gaps. Some were actually moved on for money too. 

Im firmly in the "Levein's time is up" camp i would add but for me the problem is simply tactics, tinkering and over thinking of the opposition. I dont think our signing policy, particulary this season, is the problem.

1 hour ago, Rudy T said:

14-15 15-16 16-17 17-18 18-19 19-20  
Adam Eckersley Abiola Dauda Aaron Hughes Aidan Keena Aaron Hickey Craig Halkett  
Alim Ozturk Arnaud Djoum Alexandros Tziolis Alex Petkov Ben Garuccio Conor Washington  
Alistair Roy Blazej Augustyn Andraz Struna Andy Irving Bobby Burns Glenn Whelan  
Angus Beith Callumn Morrison Bjorn Johnsen Anthony McDonald Callumn Morrison Loic Damour  
Billy King Danny Swanson Choulay Ashley Smith-Brown Clevid Dikamona Joel Pereira  
Brad McKay Dario Zanatta Conor Sammon Cammy Logan Colin Doyle Jamie Walker  
Callum Paterson Don Cowie Dario Zanatta Chris Hamilton Conor Shaughnessy Ryotaro Meshino  
Dale Carrick Gavin Reilly Don Cowie Christophe Berra Craig Wighton Aidy White  
Danny Wilson Igor Rossi Dylan Bikey Cole Stockton David Vanecek    
Gary Oliver John Souttar Euan Henderson Connor Randall Jake Mulraney    
Genero Zeefuik Juanma Faycal Rherras Connor Smith Jimmy Dunne    
Jack Hamilton Juwon Oshaniwa Isma Daniel Baur Oliver Bozanic    
James Keatings Lewis Moore Jamie Brandon Danny Amankwaa Olly Lee    
Jamie Walker Liam Smith Krystian Nowak Demetri Mitchell Peter Haring    
Jason Holt Perry Kitchen Lennard Sowah Harry Cochrane Ryan Edwards    
Jordan McGhee   Malaury Martin Joaquim Adao Sean Clare    
Kenny Anderson   Robbie Muirhead Jon McLaughlin Steven MacLean    
Kevin McHattie   Rory Currie Kyle Lafferty Uche Ikpeazu    
Miguel Pallardo   Tasos Avlonitis Leeroy Makovora Zdenek Zlamal    
Morgaro Gomis   Tony Watt Manuel Milinkovic      
Neil Alexander   Viktor Noring Marcus Godinho      
Osman Sow     Michael Smith      
Prince Buaben     Rafal Grzelak      
Robbie Buchanan     Ross Callachan      
Sam Nicholson     Steven Naismith      
Scott Gallacher            
Scott Robinson            
Sean McKirdy            
Soufian El Hassnaoui            

Thanks for this. A good place keeper for future discussion. One thing that strikes me about the list is just how many players were brought in and did the job required at that time eg Gomis, Sow, Buaben, Zeefuik were excellent in terms of getting us out the championship first go. Not good enough at the next level up so moved out and others brought in, based on budget at that time, who again mostly did the business. 

Just now, soonbe110 said:

Thanks for this. A good place keeper for future discussion. One thing that strikes me about the list is just how many players were brought in and did the job required at that time eg Gomis, Sow, Buaben, Zeefuik were excellent in terms of getting us out the championship first go. Not good enough at the next level up so moved out and others brought in, based on budget at that time, who again mostly did the business. 

Zeefuik was a goal scorer, over weight, yeah, but he knew where the goals were, I'd like to of seen him kept on. Was it not finances that were the excuse at the time? I'd of kept sow as well but apparently we thought a million was enough.  ( I realise that they've both done bugger all since)

1 minute ago, Robert Lazar said:

Zeefuik was a goal scorer, over weight, yeah, but he knew where the goals were, I'd like to of seen him kept on. Was it not finances that were the excuse at the time? I'd of kept sow as well but apparently we thought a million was enough.  ( I realise that they've both done bugger all since)

Agree it would have been good to have seen Zeefuik in top league for one season, after a full pre-season, to see if he could hack it. Think we won the lottery getting £1m for Sow. 

Just now, soonbe110 said:

Agree it would have been good to have seen Zeefuik in top league for one season, after a full pre-season, to see if he could hack it. Think we won the lottery getting £1m for Sow. 

Injuries have done sow in. 

That goal against rangers though.. What a moment. 

9 minutes ago, Johnny Sandiego said:

Is it Levein has signed too many players? If so then you would have to discount around a 3rd of the list as they were either already at the club when he joined or they were youth team graduates.

Is it Levein uses too many players? In that case why have you included 3 seasons when he wasn't picking the team?

Is it Hearts in general are signing or playing too many players? In that case a comparison to other teams in our league is needed for context.

While that list looks big, we have to consider some of those players were needed for a specific reason at a specific time. Some were brought in on a short term basis to plug gaps. Some were actually moved on for money too. 

Im firmly in the "Levein's time is up" camp i would add but for me the problem is simply tactics, tinkering and over thinking of the opposition. I dont think our signing policy, particulary this season, is the problem.

There was an earlier debate about his signings and the volume, failures, successes. So this is the definitive list, posters can take what the wish from it.

31 minutes ago, Spoleto said:

A lot of young players in there and a lot of decent players in there too.

From the players only signed in the budge era, who from that list has went onto better things or made the club money? I thought that what our coaching det up was about  Signing players so we can develop them and make a profit.  It looks like it hasn't worked.  What makes you think that the same coaches will suddenly start improving players for the aim of getting the best out of them and selling them on?  Point out why things are going to change with the same inexperienced coaches.  By inexperienced I mean never having coached at a top flight club before.  

16 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

We've been out the championship for about four seasons and in three of them we have finished 5th or 6th.  What makes you think they have mostly done the business? 

Edited by FruitJuice

Dusk_Till_Dawn
21 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

that depends on your definition of did the business. A massive chunk of those signings were at best mediocre, at worst shite. Levein is hopeless at spotting a player

pettigrewsstylist

Can we have the list in order of most yards covered in Hearts career?

An average per appearance would be fine.

Then i can gauge if any are better signings than the workhorse Clare.

😂😂😂😂😂😂

The happy clappers always ask, Who else is there? 

Rangers sign Gerrard, 

Derby sign Lampard who then moves to chelsea,

I think respect from the players goes a long way. 

The next manager for me?  Someone like Paul Scholes. 

We might need to go down the list from there mind you. 

So I think the myth that Levein has signed a)too many players and b) "utter shite" players has been dispelled.

Next argument!

Or do we just wait until the end of the season and let matters take their own course.

4 minutes ago, Spoleto said:

So I think the myth that Levein has signed a)too many players and b) "utter shite" players has been dispelled.

Next argument!

Or do we just wait until the end of the season and let matters take their own course.

🤣

kingantti1874
5 minutes ago, Spoleto said:

Next argument!

so if we haven’t signed loads of shite players what’s the reason for massive underachievement?

3 minutes ago, Spoleto said:

Next argument!

I would say that Levein HAS signed FAR too many players, he constantly flings money at his problems.

We will all have to wait until the end of the season unfortunately, there is no other option. 

11 minutes ago, Spoleto said:

Next argument!

How has the ‘myth’ been dispelled?

49 minutes ago, FruitJuice said:

We've been out the championship for about four seasons and in three of them we have finished 5th or 6th.  What makes you think they have mostly done the business? 

At the time they did. The four I mentioned in the championship. Djoum, Cowie,  Soutar, Rossi helped us consolidate first year back up and so on. 

47 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

that depends on your definition of did the business. A massive chunk of those signings were at best mediocre, at worst shite. Levein is hopeless at spotting a player

There were four or five nearly every season that were worth the money. A lot of the names on the list are or were kids when they came in. 

29 minutes ago, Robert Lazar said:

Rangers sign Gerrard, 

Did well at Oldham, his only managerial job, right enough. Was it 31 days? 

4 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Did well at Oldham, his only managerial job, right enough. Was it 31 days? 

wit

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Johnny Sandiego said:

Good summary. 

Bazzas right boot
10 minutes ago, Morgan said:

He threw a double 6 and dispelled it. 

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Robert Lazar said:

Zeefoolooook was under contract and would have cost money. 

I think £500k was be branded about at the time. 

Just now, Smith's right boot said:

Zeefoolooook was under contract and would have cost money. 

I think £500k was be branded about at the time. 

Well, apparently we spunked half that on wighton. 

Can we no get him on a free now? since he's big and fat. 

8 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

There were four or five nearly every season that were worth the money. A lot of the names on the list are or were kids when they came in. 

Not having a dig for the sake of it but, if how many of those who were kids at the time went on to do well for us and then move onto better things.  If they didn't, you must ask if the coaching has a part to play in this. Especially if the number that done well for us is relatively low.  

I know um repea6myself over this issue but with our set up and facilities you can understand why some fans think we should be more successful with the young players we bring in. 

19 minutes ago, Morgan said:

I can’t see how it has either tbh?

there is  a fair pile of shite in amongst those names.

Gorgie Boys are in town.
1 hour ago, Spoleto said:

A lot of young players in there and a lot of decent players in there 

Jambo kickbacks very own Roland Martin.

27 minutes ago, Robert Lazar said:

I would say that Levein HAS signed FAR too many players, he constantly flings money at his problems.

We will all have to wait until the end of the season unfortunately, there is no other option. 

Off course there's an option. Just sack him  

Gorgie Boys are in town.

In my opinion, the list of players shows a man out of his depth. The same people will continue to back him regardless of what is said. We are a team that has been on the slide since promotion. 

Regardless of a few false dawns here and there and last season cup final. The route to the final being one of the easiest known to man. We have looked like a team heading to where we are. Many have called this for a long time and those who mocked and backed Levein are now showing they are more fans of Levein than Hearts in my opinion. 

10 minutes ago, FruitJuice said:

Off course there's an option. Just sack him  

Aye, but it's not our choice. 

Ann's not going to sack him. 

When I was doing the list what stood out was not so much the quality v shite It was the lack of any discernible strategy. No obvious plan for building something for the future it all seems very stop gap and short term. 

Just now, Rudy T said:

When I was doing the list what stood out was not so much the quality v shite It was the lack of any discernible strategy. No obvious plan for building something for the future it all seems very stop gap and short term. 

Correct.  Top work by the way.  Won't be enough to appease the Levein fanboys.  They will be frantically coming up with new excuses for the disgraceful player turnover we see each season.

4 minutes ago, Robert Lazar said:

Aye, but it's not our choice. 

Ann's not going to sack him. 

Well she can't complain when the crowds get even smaller.  If fans staying away isn't as important as keeping him in a job, then she isn't that bothered about 'the football dept' until they both go. If she had the decency to say that he is going now until the seasons over, I would give up on a us as well.  At least until they are both gone.  It does look like what levein wants to do is what matters to her more.  Levein could actually leave hearts as a hated figure if that is the case.  Though none of that really matters as long as they are happy with the money coming in. 8000 fans pledging money and keeping levein and his backroom staff is more important than them.  No wonder fans dont feel like the club is no longer theirs.  Thanks Craig. 

7 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

I suppose that's the haphazard approach Ann was alluding to.  An approach that has cost us a fortune and she laughs it off. 

Here’s a defend Levein comment in this area (with the usual caveat. He has failed tactically And should go)

we need to take account of the fact we were skint and club had been dismantled. Over the period, we started with kids. We had low budget to play in first division. We got promoted quicker than we probably thought and had to put a squad together to compete in Premier. We had to take risks on age, injury-prone to get players above our budget. Budget has been dramatically increased meaning we can now sign fewer better players with hopefully reducing injury issues. 

Where do people get that our academy should have been producing saleable assets in that  timeframe from a standing start and restricted budget through the Academy? 

No other team has had anywhere near that transition so why should we be compared to them. 

We now have the foundations in place. Significant turnover, zero capital cost requirements going forward.  Established academy and flow of boys coming through. Building connections with big English clubs and appear to be an attractive place for players to want to play. 

Signs are good but we need to turn around current results and I fear Levein cannot use the resources he has to deliver on the pitch. 

Johnny Sandiego
1 hour ago, Robert Lazar said:

Rangers sign Gerrard, 

Paul scholes managerial record is 7 matches, 1 win, 3 draws and 3 losses. That was at a basket case of a club in Oldham mind but goes to show that good players dont always make good managers.

I agree with your thinking though, a recently retired ex-player whos gained knowledge and respect in the game or a younger manager whos had decent success in lower league England would be my pick.

1 hour ago, kingantti1874 said:

so if we haven’t signed loads of shite players what’s the reason for massive underachievement?

A shit load of injuries to key players. 

Have you not been paying attention?

8 minutes ago, Spoleto said:

A shit load of injuries to key players. 

Have you not been paying attention?

Funny I hadn't noticed that would you care to explain in detail?

Edited by 7628mm

1 hour ago, Smith's right boot said:

He threw a double 6 and dispelled it. 

A very distinct possibility.  :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, 1874robbo said:

I can’t see how it has either tbh?

there is  a fair pile of shite in amongst those names.

Thete certainly is an amount of shite in amongst those names.  :thumbsup:

And, it was probably ‘dispelled’ in the eyes of Stiletto, because things weren’t quite ‘panning out’ as he foresaw them to do so.

• JKBMod 12 changed the title to Levein’s time is up...
  • davemclaren locked this topic