Levein’s time is up...

Heartsofgold

Guest ToqueJambo
1 hour ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

As expected,  a comment about Hibs flushes out all the Levein apologists. Just to clarify things; under Levein"s watch, we had a 1 year start on Hibs in the SPL and we've not finished ahead of them since. As for Killie, we've also trailed them for 2 years too. Both Killie and Hibs were behind us when they changed their managers and guess what happened:  they kicked on and overtook us while we stagnated with the bearded dullard at the helm. THAT is the point I'm trying to make.

Cc; spoleto/vlad magic/levein ...whoever he is

I don’t think Levein can turn things around so its time for a change but you said we hadn’t finished above hibs for 6 or 7 years when it’s 2, 3 if you really want to discount our -15 pts in the relegation season. 

How does this “head start” thing work by the way? New concept

• Replies 20k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Spoleto

• Pasquale for King

• Alex Kintner

• JamboAl

1 minute ago, ToqueJambo said:

I don’t think Levein can turn things around so its time for a change but you said we hadn’t finished above hibs for 6 or 7 years when it’s 2, 3 if you really want to discount our -15 pts in the relegation season. 

How does this “head start” thing work by the way? New concept

No, I mean we were a year, 2 actually, ahead of them , coming back to the SPL. That should have given us time to consolidate our place in the SPL and have better players. They came back up 2 years later as a newly promoted team and finished ahead of us....and did  it again last season. 

8 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

No, I mean we were a year, 2 actually, ahead of them , coming back to the SPL. That should have given us time to consolidate our place in the SPL and have better players. They came back up 2 years later as a newly promoted team and finished ahead of us....and did  it again last season. 

So we were, to all intents and purposes and by any definition of league placings, above them. 😄

4 minutes ago, NB GIN said:

It’s my opinion as well along with thousands of us . 

I think what is he doing at times it’s beyond belief 

100% Correct.

Would go as far as to make a side point in that on the basis of what I said, re chopping and changing tactics depending on who we play, each tactic will have varying fitness or intensity levels so maybe players have picked up injuries (not all the time) sometimes, because they are varying what they should be doing on the park week to week. IE, their bodies aren’t getting used to any pattern whether it’s intensive or not 

that said, I could be way wrong and it isn’t meant to make a point that anyone is doing this intentionally and without any foresight. It’s either that or it’s “bad karma” and I hope to god it changes soon as it’s an absolute travesty we can’t get our 1st team out on the park together when we really need them 

the flip side is that if this is what’s going to happen, moving forward, and with injuries on trend, we really need a manager who can get the best out of the whole squad and not just the first 11 due to tactical preferences. Unfortunately, CL isn’t the man to be able to do this and that isn’t a knee jerk reaction. 3 years (exc DOF) at the helm is long enough even for the most reasoned of posters to actually see this 

Guest ToqueJambo
15 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

The head start thing is nonsense, especially given they were paying premiership wages for players and managers while in the championship. They weren’t recovering from admin either. Hibs finish above us now and then. It happens. Grow a pair and remember who it was who condemned them to 3 years down there. 

Edited by ToqueJambo

23 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

The head start thing is nonsense, especially given they were paying premiership wages for players and managers while in the championship. They weren’t recovering from admin either. Hibs finish above us now and then. It happens. Grow a pair and remember who it was who condemned them to 3 years down there. 

Accies ? 

Geoff Kilpatrick
24 minutes ago, Hearts1975 said:

Accies ? 

Indeed. One of the funniest moments ever.

Anyway, Levein can't retrieve this situation but Budge cannot face getting rid of him. No doubt both will go at the end of this season after a shocking season where we just avoid relegation.

5 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

As Dave McLaren said earlier, life is not "black and white".  Therefore, comparing Wee Doddie and Levein is fruitless. Although neither have won trophies as managers, Doddie was dripping with medals as a player and has come far closer as a manager than Levein. The biggest factor against Levein is his managerial record which, at any other club, would result in dismissal.  It's probably understandable trying to hoodwink a naive owner and similarly minded fans but that is only a last desperate attempt to keep himself in a job.

And what benefit was that to Hearts?

2 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Against Hibs? Run of the mill bottom 6 games ?  I was talking about Tommy Wright and Scottish Cup wins. How did we get back down to talking about Levein?

Because it's a thread about Levein Enzo. Keep up!

49 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Indeed. One of the funniest moments ever.

Anyway, Levein can't retrieve this situation but Budge cannot face getting rid of him. No doubt both will go at the end of this season after a shocking season where we just avoid relegation.

I don't think Budge is going anywhere at the end of the season.

2 hours ago, NB GIN said:

It’s my opinion as well along with thousands of us . 

I think what is he doing at times it’s beyond belief 

"Thousands of us" 

Perhaps you should just stick to voicing your own opinion and leave the thousands to do the same?

Just a suggestion.

1 hour ago, Hearts1975 said:

100% Correct.

Would go as far as to make a side point in that on the basis of what I said, re chopping and changing tactics depending on who we play, each tactic will have varying fitness or intensity levels so maybe players have picked up injuries (not all the time) sometimes, because they are varying what they should be doing on the park week to week. IE, their bodies aren’t getting used to any pattern whether it’s intensive or not 

that said, I could be way wrong and it isn’t meant to make a point that anyone is doing this intentionally and without any foresight. It’s either that or it’s “bad karma” and I hope to god it changes soon as it’s an absolute travesty we can’t get our 1st team out on the park together when we really need them 

the flip side is that if this is what’s going to happen, moving forward, and with injuries on trend, we really need a manager who can get the best out of the whole squad and not just the first 11 due to tactical preferences. Unfortunately, CL isn’t the man to be able to do this and that isn’t a knee jerk reaction. 3 years (exc DOF) at the helm is long enough even for the most reasoned of posters to actually see this 

Are you a physiotherapist or a fitness trainer? 

I really hope not.

2 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

You are back tracking big time Enzo. So we've gone from being behind Hibs for 6 to 7 seasons to 2!

Your facts don't stand up - if you were a financial advisor I have to say I wouldn't use your services.

Geoff Kilpatrick
12 minutes ago, Spoleto said:

I don't think Budge is going anywhere at the end of the season.

You should have stopped after the first three words.

1 minute ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

You should have stopped after the first three words.

And you shouldn't have even started!

Geoff Kilpatrick
2 minutes ago, Spoleto said:

And you shouldn't have even started!

Maybe you should take your own advice. While you're at it, ask yourself why you would want a CEO who is incapable of making football decisions.

2 hours ago, rick witter said:

He won’t even be in charge for the next game against Hibs. That’s how little a chance he has of turning it round. Two tankings   off Rangers followed by the usual shit  shows against Livi and St Johnstone and he will be long gone. If he even gets the Semi Final that is 

perfectly put

14 minutes ago, Spoleto said:

You are back tracking big time Enzo. So we've gone from being behind Hibs for 6 to 7 seasons to 2!

Your facts don't stand up - if you were a financial advisor I have to say I wouldn't use your services.

And the shite you’ve posted recently tells me I wouldn’t want you as any kind of advisor

Pasquale for King
11 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

He built a team that won nothing. 

Bridesmaids we were called. 

Under your and others criteria he was a loser. 

Wining stuff with Rangers is irrelevant, if not you're also have a go at CL for being a Hearts player for so long. 

Basically saying guys like him, Robbo, mackay, jc Smith amongst others should have ****ed off from us to win more. 

It's actually honking patter from a Hearts fan. 

Absolute Honking patter from anyone that experienced, like I did the defeats and not winning a thing for decades. 

Hearts, BTW have won 3 trophies in about 55 years. 

Lets go about calling folk a loser. 

Great stuff. 

It's ridiculous. 

Not my criteria, Alex won trophies as a player. He came closer than Levein will ever get to winning a trophy as a manager. As for the rest of that I think you’ve taken it way too far and are making stuff up.  Btw Hearts have won two First  Division/Championship and three Scottish cups in my lifetime, and a Tennents 6s which I witnessed first hand. I’ve seen far more poor teams than you have I'm afraid, it’s part of the reason I want a better manager. You’re way off base here.

5 hours ago, Spoleto said:

Are you a physiotherapist or a fitness trainer? 

I really hope not.

Read the post properly before you jump in 

Incidentally, and to the point, it wouldn’t make any difference whatsoever if I was a physiotherapist or a fitness trainer, especially to you, as you are one who has their head firmly buried in the sand 👍

5 hours ago, JamboAl said:

The guy was a winner, he instilled good habits at Tynecastle and got results. He fell short in the end but what a period in our history that was.  That was the benefit to Hearts. Contrast that with now.

6 hours ago, JamboAl said:

Not many managers have taken Hearts to within a few minutes of a league title. Or could’ve won a double in 7 days. Im not actually having a go at CL when I say this, but winning breeds an attitude you can do it all the time, take anyone on and nurture that attitude wherever you go.

I don’t know why it needs said but AMac arguably gave us the grounding for the next 20 years from 1986 to fight for standards again at a great club. Many European nights, consistent league form, derby dominance, goals, exciting play....the very team Levein played in.

Football is tough. Not every great player or manager wins something everywhere they ply their trade but you can be sure they gave it a good shot. 

18 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

The guy was a winner, he instilled good habits at Tynecastle and got results. He fell short in the end but what a period in our history that was.  That was the benefit to Hearts. Contrast that with now.

That period was the benchmark for what Hearts fans of our age expect from our teams. 

100% effort, 100% commitment, organised, attacking, hating hibs.

SectionDJambo

Alex MacDonald took us from losing to Forfar Athletic, at home, in the cup, to being the closest Hearts, probably, have ever been to winning a league and Scottish Cup double. Within a couple of years.

Certainly, we blew other chances, but Hearts have a long history of throwing titles and cups away. It's nothing new, and sometimes with great players in our team.

He reinstated values and discipline to Hearts, which had evaporated over the previous few seasons. We got good football to watch and a team which, usually, gave the opposition a hard game, even in defeat.

This is what i can't understand about Craig Levein. He played in that team,  but other than his record against Hibs, doesn't seem to have picked up much of the attitude that team had, other than not quite getting there.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
3 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

Alex MacDonald took us from losing to Forfar Athletic, at home, in the cup, to being the closest Hearts, probably, have ever been to winning a league and Scottish Cup double. Within a couple of years.

Certainly, we blew other chances, but Hearts have a long history of throwing titles and cups away. It's nothing new, and sometimes with great players in our team.

He reinstated values and discipline to Hearts, which had evaporated over the previous few seasons. We got good football to watch and a team which, usually, gave the opposition a hard game, even in defeat.

This is what i can't understand about Craig Levein. He played in that team,  but other than his record against Hibs, doesn't seem to have picked up much of the attitude that team had, other than not quite getting there.

He’s just old and tired and behind the times.

pettigrewsstylist
2 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

That period was the benchmark for what Hearts fans of our age expect from our teams. 

This. In fact, probably the reason im posting here nearly 4 decades later on my Sun morn.

12 hours ago, Spoleto said:

Anybody still fancy Tommy Wright as the next manager?

Would take him til the end of the season to let him sort out this shambles 😏

10 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Would take him til the end of the season to let him sort out this shambles 😏

Is he a miracle healer?

1 hour ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

He’s just old and tired and behind the times.

Or maybe listening too much to his sidekicks. However that formation he put out against killie should alone get him the boot

Governor Tarkin
3 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

:glorious:

1 hour ago, JamboAl said:

Is he a miracle healer?

Oh. The old injuries excuse again.  Been a couple of pages.

14 minutes ago, Randy Marsh said:

Facts eh! They always get in the way don't they?

Forever Hearts
17 minutes ago, Randy Marsh said:

Lucky to have a team to support etc etc.

1 minute ago, Spoleto said:

Facts eh! They always get in the way don't they?

Haring aside we were full strength against Ross County.  What we witnessed was the usual disorganised shambles with zero tempo and creativity.  A fact conventiently ignored by Levein apologists like yourself.

Just now, Randy Marsh said:

Haring aside we were full strength against Ross County.  What we witnessed was the usual disorganised shambles with zero tempo and creativity.  A fact conventiently ignored by Levein apologists like yourself.

Yip.  Strong line up starting and dominated by RC quite quickly in the game. 

Just as well Wallace Mercer had patience in 85 or Alex MacDonald or he might have sacked him after the the game against Clydebank.

Hmmmm!

2 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

Yip.  Strong line up starting and dominated by RC quite quickly in the game. 

A 5-0 win would not have flattered Ross County.

21 minutes ago, Randy Marsh said:

Ay,e. let's just pretend they didn't happen to accord with your negative vicious agenda.

4 minutes ago, Spoleto said:

Just as well Wallace Mercer had patience in 85 or Alex MacDonald or he might have sacked him after the the game against Clydebank.

Hmmmm!

Part of being a chairman is being able to read where the team is heading. He obviously had good judgement even in a mixed start to the season.

Different times though. Alex MacDonald didn’t have the luxury of splashing thousands and thousands of pounds to fix **** ups season to season.  He used his nous as a manager to get there eventually. 

6 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

Part of being a chairman is being able to read where the team is heading. He obviously had good judgement even in a mixed start to the season.

Different times though. Alex MacDonald didn’t have the luxury of splashing thousands and thousands of pounds to fix **** ups season to season.  He used his nous as a manager to get there eventually. 

I'm sure that we all hope that Ann Budge has the same good judgement. That would be a result.

14 minutes ago, Spoleto said:

Hmmmm!

🤣

GorgieFifeLife
1 minute ago, Spoleto said:

I'm sure that we all hope that Ann Budge has the same good judgement. That would be a result.

You got a job or a life outside of here? I only ask as you are never away from here.  Or is your time on here part of your job?

26 minutes ago, Randy Marsh said:

I don't recall Souttar playing and correct me if I'm wrong but I seem to recall a clearly injured Naismith struggling through the first half and going off at half time.

9 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

I think she did read where the team was heading and authorised the signings of Walker, Washington, Halkett  all of whom are injured so of little benefit so far - unfortunately.  Mercer's judgment was not to pay the police and council tax etc until the last moment under threat of court orders.

Different times, you say - so what's the point in discussing it?

26 minutes ago, Randy Marsh said:

A 5-0 win would not have flattered Ross County.

Really? From 50% possession and three attempts on target?

That would have been some going. I would have to disagree with you there I'm afraid.

2 minutes ago, Plank said:

But like moths to a flame, they bite.

It's amazing the number of posters who cheaply choose to play the man instead of the ball with vicious vindictive criticisms of Spoleto when he voices his opinion, which he is fully entitled to do.

They obviously do not like their views to be challenged and one wonders if some of them are even Hearts supporters.

8 minutes ago, Spoleto said:

I don't recall Souttar playing and correct me if I'm wrong but I seem to recall a clearly injured Naismith struggling through the first half and going off at half time.

So you agree Naismith was clearly injured. Wouldn't you say that's poor management to play a clearly injured player, and the fact he's only played 10 minutes in the proceeding 2 months compound the error?

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, JamboAl said:

It's amazing the number of posters who cheaply choose to play the man instead of the ball with vicious vindictive criticisms of Spoleto when he voices his opinion, which he is fully entitled to do.

They obviously do not like their views to be challenged and one wonders if some of them are even Hearts supporters.

That's fair even though he talks shite.😁

• JKBMod 12 changed the title to Levein’s time is up...
  • davemclaren locked this topic