Glenn Whelan signs one year deal with Hearts (title updated)

Roman1874

3 minutes ago, Jambosteve1902 said:

rightfully so aswell. in a good team he'l be a key player. anyone who can't see that needs to wake up. 

In a good team he’ll be a key player?  So, you’re saying he’s toiled so far to impose his own great qualities you obviously rate but just needs the players around him?

What about actually sticking out first in a team that needs those better players we require?   (Which we are)  and get people buzzing about what he could bring in the future? 

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BarneyBattles44

• Notts1874

• Victorian

• Morgan

Jambosteve1902
1 minute ago, jamboj said:

I'm wide awake and have serious doubts he's going to make it with us. 

i think hes been quite good tbh and he'l only get better once he gets a position. hes literally never been in the same forward line in any games when he played advanced cause we make 5 changes every week and this season hes been moved position with a young lad centre midfield. i think Clare and Damour give us tremendous versatility and pace in the middle to make an a real outlet. 

Jambosteve1902
1 minute ago, Debut 4 said:

In a good team he’ll be a key player?  So, you’re saying he’s toiled so far to impose his own great qualities you obviously rate but just needs the players around him?

What about actually sticking out first in a team that needs those better players we require?   (Which we are)  and get people buzzing about what he could bring in the future? 

imo he has shined out compared to others when he isn't on the park we noticed it last season only him and mulraney made u think oh something might happen.

Robbo-Jambo
1 hour ago, maidstonejambo said:

I'd like to see Whelan sign, but there's just a small worry for me that it means we'd be more willing to entertain an approach from Celtic for Souttar.

Whelan and Damour in as DMs, so Haring can be pushed back to CB alongside Halkett or Berra. Hope I'm wrong. 

Souttar will go down south. 

Dont think he is interested in joining the old firm clubs

3 minutes ago, Jambosteve1902 said:

i think hes been quite good tbh and he'l only get better once he gets a position. hes literally never been in the same forward line in any games when he played advanced cause we make 5 changes every week and this season hes been moved position with a young lad centre midfield. i think Clare and Damour give us tremendous versatility and pace in the middle to make an a real outlet. 

I hope your right. But last season his lack of dig, tendency to hide and erratic end product didnt fill me with confidence. He looked like the type of player that would flourish in a less combative league, but will struggle up here. Very much hope he turns it around, more quality players the better 

Jambosteve1902
3 minutes ago, jamboj said:

I hope your right. But last season his lack of dig, tendency to hide and erratic end product didnt fill me with confidence. He looked like the type of player that would flourish in a less combative league, but will struggle up here. Very much hope he turns it around, more quality players the better 

see i disagree with that i think hes alot more dogged and has more dig than most our team to be honest lol . he's always right into a 50/50 havent seen him shy out one, flew through Ojo twice on sunday irving got bullied from him. 

hope so too, can't have us being even close to the vermin as they're pish.

Edited by Jambosteve1902

38 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Good question.

If Loic plays tomorrow in a CM with Irving and/or Clare and it is a howling success, CL might conclude he can get by until Haring's return and spend any money he has elsewhere eg bring in a reliable goalie (on loan, if necessary).  I get the feeling Whelan might miss the boat here.  He is looking for regular football from an Eire point of view and his chances might be better with us  than somewhere else where the terms are better.

Bachmann looking like 4th choice at Watford, would happily take him, let Bobby return to Czech Republic and bring Craig home next summer to help bring Stone through.

Inch Hearts
24 minutes ago, Jambosteve1902 said:

rightfully so aswell. in a good team he'l be a key player. anyone who can't see that needs to wake up. 

In a midfield with Whelan Damour Walker where are we placing him in the middle?  Naismith will be in front of that with uche or Washington.  

Clare has it all to prove btw. 

Jambosteve1902
12 minutes ago, Inch Hearts said:

In a midfield with Whelan Damour Walker where are we placing him in the middle?  Naismith will be in front of that with uche or Washington.  

Clare has it all to prove btw. 

why we love football eh opinions! think he's shown enough in maroon to show us he'l be a big player. 

Inch Hearts
Just now, Jambosteve1902 said:

why we love football eh opinions! think he's shown enough in maroon to show us he'l be a big player. 

Definitely mate!

Fair enough I think he’s not shown enough so far and still think he will come good based on reputation.

Edited by Inch Hearts

Jambosteve1902
Just now, Inch Hearts said:

Definitely mate!

Fair enough I think he’s not shown enough so far and still think he will come good based on reputation.

can't wait for damours first pass to be a stinker and the bedwetters to come out it'l be fantastic :D

My take on it from Stoke fan family member, bit long in the tooth but great motivator and done well at Villa don't let him take free kicks he never hits target 😂

45 minutes ago, Inch Hearts said:

Would there be room for Clare who seems an automatic first pick? 

Hopefully all this sees Clare doing little more than warming the bench until he has an attitude change. 

Jambosteve1902
5 minutes ago, VALDOS' said:

Hopefully all this sees Clare doing little more than warming the bench until he has an attitude change. 

Whats wrong with his attitude? lol he plays where he's asked gives 100% including right back where hes been shoved twice, just gets on with it. 

Inch Hearts
9 minutes ago, Jambosteve1902 said:

can't wait for damours first pass to be a stinker and the bedwetters to come out it'l be fantastic :D

True.  Time and patience required with our new guys, no idea what pre season has been done either. 

BobbyJenkins
6 minutes ago, Jambosteve1902 said:

Whats wrong with his attitude? lol he plays where he's asked gives 100% including right back where hes been shoved twice, just gets on with it. 

Absolutely nothing wrong with his attitude. Nonsense post.

4 hours ago, skodef said:

Aye and your an expert on every possible new signing .I bow to your superior wisdom and hope if Whelan signs he is the midfielder we are looking for to boss games.

YERM GEM

Jambosteve1902
4 minutes ago, BobbyJenkins said:

Absolutely nothing wrong with his attitude. Nonsense post.

People really dont like the poor guy lol

We have had little options in midfield for too long, we have some great potentials coming through, still a year away yet from being able to play a full season though so another midfielder is still required. 

5 hours ago, tcjambo said:

Still need another striker to compete with Uche IMO. I see Everton sogned a striker from Arsenal. Maybe there is something in the  Fraser Hornby chat earlier.

Iwobi for £35 million.

gashauskis9

Whilst I can see why folk might criticise Clare’s ability/output, to question his attitude is beyond comprehension.  He never hides and at least tries to do stuff on the ball.  What’s more, the man clearly loves this club and is incredibly humble towards the management and support.  

Clare has been handed the Djoum baton and some.  Ridiculous.  The irony is that both the players I’ve just mentioned practically carried us for months last year!

With Damour and possibly Whelan to come in, I’m certain (isn’t a whim or fan boy mentality) that he’ll be Hearts POTY material this season.  These players will give him the freedom to operate in a more attacking role where he is best suited and he’ll be up there with Naismith in the goals/assists.

Leveins Battalion
Just now, Gashauskis9 said:

Whilst I can see why folk might criticise Clare’s ability/output, to question his attitude is beyond comprehension.  He never hides and at least tries to do stuff on the ball.  What’s more, the man clearly loves this club and is incredibly humble towards the management and support.  

Clare has been handed the Djoum baton and some.  Ridiculous.  The irony is that both the players I’ve just mentioned practically carried us for months last year!

With Damour and possibly Whelan to come in, I’m certain (isn’t a whim or fan boy mentality) that he’ll be Hearts POTY material this season.  These players will give him the freedom to operate in a more attacking role where he is best suited and he’ll be up there with Naismith in the goals/assists.

I agree there is a player there in Clare.

Leveins Battalion
Just now, Sherbet said:

Whelan has had nearly a week to make up.his mind. Time to tell him.the offer is off the table

Why?He's gonna tell us one way or another this week,its not that long to wait for a potential tremendous signing.

Just now, Leveins Battalion said:

Why?He's gonna tell us one way or another this week,its not that long to wait for a potential tremendous signing.

This week? In the next 52mins like?

rudi must stay
1 minute ago, Sherbet said:

Whelan has had nearly a week to make up.his mind. Time to tell him.the offer is off the table

Off the table and he's wasted the club's time

Fine him

Just now, Leveins Battalion said:

If he says no then that's a week wasted

Byyy The Light
2 minutes ago, Gashauskis9 said:

While the jury is still out on your last paragraph can’t argue with the first bit. The criticism this guy is taking is a joke. Why do fans love to see players fail???

CLARE DOESNT HAVE AN ATTITUDE PROBLEM, for the people at the back. Jesus Christ. What is actual wrong with folk. Sean Clare has played every position he has been asked to for Hearts and has never hide from anything he was asked to do. Has he had crap games, 100%. Has he under performed more than anyone else, 100% not. It worries me that there is something sinister about this hatred for Clare, Djoum, Isma etc as it baffles me that they are constantly singled out. 

Sean Clare isn’t a midfield clogger or ball winner, he’s a ball player. With Haring beside him or Damour beside him, we will see him get on the ball in positions we need him to be, facing the opposition. 

We have loads of problems at the moment, Sean Clare’s attitude isn’t one of them. 

2 minutes ago, Sherbet said:

How does that help us. I don't see us having an equivalent experienced international just waiting in the wings as an alternative. 

GrimUpNorth
3 minutes ago, Gashauskis9 said:

Agree with this. Still not entirely sure what his best position is but as you say with a little more freedom I think we'll see the best from him. 

3 minutes ago, Sherbet said:

James Morrison instead ;)

spirt of 98

Sean Clare is clearly a young player in development and will come good. Problem at Hearts recently is there is too much pressure placed on young shoulders. He should be a squad player in development not a first pick. Another year and if the boo boys don’t destroy him he will be the player we all desire. 

I note players who have left us recently have mentioned the stick they received from the stands. Let’s get behind our team. They are not all the finished article. 

I think we need to all chill in relation to Clare. 

6 minutes ago, Sherbet said:

Yeah its like Djoum all over again where we sit sit and wait then don't have much of a back up plan in case they don't sign

heartandsoul
7 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

CLARE DOESNT HAVE AN ATTITUDE PROBLEM, for the people at the back. Jesus Christ. What is actual wrong with folk. Sean Clare has played every position he has been asked to for Hearts and has never hide from anything he was asked to do. Has he had crap games, 100%. Has he under performed more than anyone else, 100% not. It worries me that there is something sinister about this hatred for Clare, Djoum, Isma etc as it baffles me that they are constantly singled out. 

Sean Clare isn’t a midfield clogger or ball winner, he’s a ball player. With Haring beside him or Damour beside him, we will see him get on the ball in positions we need him to be, facing the opposition. 

We have loads of problems at the moment, Sean Clare’s attitude isn’t one of them. 

Great post Busby

Leveins Battalion
3 minutes ago, rory78 said:

Yeah its like Djoum all over again where we sit sit and wait then don't have much of a back up plan in case they don't sign

Weve replaced Djoum with Damour silly😂😂😂🙈

i wish jj was my dad
1 hour ago, Inch Hearts said:

Not sure how you can say that, the clubs should good ambition this window when you look at the players signed from back to front. 

Yip. We have made a real statement of intent in the transfer market. Even if we can't get a deal over the line with Whelan this has been the most ambitious window since VR's first season. The difference is every one of these guys are first team material.

OmiyaHearts
15 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

Well said. I find it bizarre that people question him, but I suppose everyone has different levels of intelligence when it comes to understanding football.

Just now, OmiyaHearts said:

Well said. I find it bizarre that people question him, but I suppose everyone has different levels of intelligence when it comes to understanding football.

Questions his performance, that’s fine. Everyone has been guilty of under performing. It’s the nonsense about him having a bad attitude that really annoys me. I’d bet you my house Clare never chapped Leveins door and asked to become a centre mid. Levein will have pulled him in and ran the idea past him and since then he’s rolled his sleeves up and got into it. No moaning, no complaining, no transfer requests etc, just happy to be playing. It’s a total

myth that he hides and doesn’t tackle etc. Idiots. 

Cruyff Turn
22 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

Agree. I like Sean and folk need to lay off and give the lad a chance to learn his position. Now that we have Damour and with Naisy back, we’ll play the ball on the deck more and Sean Clare’s class will come to the fore. 

Mr Elwood P
4 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

Questions his performance, that’s fine. Everyone has been guilty of under performing. It’s the nonsense about him having a bad attitude that really annoys me. I’d bet you my house Clare never chapped Leveins door and asked to become a centre mid. Levein will have pulled him in and ran the idea past him and since then he’s rolled his sleeves up and got into it. No moaning, no complaining, no transfer requests etc, just happy to be playing. It’s a total

myth that he hides and doesn’t tackle etc. Idiots. 

Common denominator with a lot of these players who get abused by ‘fans’ ...

3 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Common denominator with a lot of these players who get abused by ‘fans’ ...

Yeah and it’s worrying. 

davemclaren
23 minutes ago, rory78 said:

Really?

Clare hasn't impressed me much but guys attitude has always seemed good.

Ability is definitely in question, effort isn't.

4 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Agree. I like Sean and folk need to lay off and give the lad a chance to learn his position. Now that we have Damour and with Naisy back, we’ll play the ball on the deck more and Sean Clare’s class will come to the fore. 

Clare has been asked to play a role until Haring came back or we signed a replacement for Djoum. He’s done okay so far but can do better, literally the same goes for everyone else. If he can click with Naismith and Walker and Washington click then we have an unbelievable front line. Hopefully Damour is the missing link. 

davemclaren
Just now, Glottis said:

Clare hasn't impressed me much but guys attitude has always seemed good.

Ability is definitely in question, effort isn't.

For me it’s more his mental strength that’s in question. 

Leveins Battalion
2 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

Yeah and it’s worrying. 

What like Quitingo,De Vries,Fuller,Kingston,Zeefuik,Goncalves utter pish.

Cruyff Turn
Just now, busby1985 said:

Clare has been asked to play a role until Haring came back or we signed a replacement for Djoum. He’s done okay so far but can do better, literally the same goes for everyone else. If he can click with Naismith and Walker and Washington click then we have an unbelievable front line. Hopefully Damour is the missing link. 

Aye, he’s definitely asked to be more disciplined and let others do the attacking stuff at the moment. We know that’s not his game. Hope so. 

Pasquale for King
25 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

Good post.

He can appear to be lazy, more lackadaisical I would say. He undoubtedly has talent, but needs to learn how to show more often. He also needs to be a bit stronger to play in CM.

Im not sure if we have the time to let him develop slowly, more intense coaching is required imo.

He did cost money too and wasn’t ready to step in to Naismith shoes when he was injured.

The other players you mentioned were also said to be lazy, whether it’s the colour of their skin is hard to tell as Walker was abused for this too. If Damour runs about like Adao he will be fine, if not the same people will moan about him.

Hopefully Clare can listen and learn from the experienced guys around him, whether Whelan will be one of them is another thing(to keep the off topic police happy).

• davemclaren locked this topic