Glenn Whelan signs one year deal with Hearts (title updated)

Roman1874

Just now, Leveins Battalion said:

What like Quitingo,De Vries,Fuller,Kingston,Zeefuik,Goncalves utter pish.

What’s utter pish? You think it’s just a coincidence that Clare, Djoum and Isma, in recent years, have been singled out above other players even tho they perform comparable or better than most?

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BarneyBattles44

• Notts1874

• Victorian

• Morgan

Mr Elwood P
Just now, busby1985 said:

What’s utter pish? You think it’s just a coincidence that Clare, Djoum and Isma, in recent years, have been singled out above other players even tho they perform comparable or better than most?

Also add Uche and Mulraney. Also Isma and Mulraney’s family hearing racial abuse! 

Inch Hearts
24 minutes ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

Yip. We have made a real statement of intent in the transfer market. Even if we can't get a deal over the line with Whelan this has been the most ambitious window since VR's first season. The difference is every one of these guys are first team material.

Exactly.  If it all goes pear shaped then it can’t be blamed on ambition.  The club deserves massive credit for the calibre of player brought in and still looking for.  This is the strongest squad for years and much better than anything outside of Glasgow.  Much better, not to even a little bit.  No excuses now, get it done.  

Inch Hearts
2 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Good post.

He can appear to be lazy, more lackadaisical I would say. He undoubtedly has talent, but needs to learn how to show more often. He also needs to be a bit stronger to play in CM.

Im not sure if we have the time to let him develop slowly, more intense coaching is required imo.

He did cost money too and wasn’t ready to step in to Naismith shoes when he was injured.

The other players you mentioned were also said to be lazy, whether it’s the colour of their skin is hard to tell as Walker was abused for this too. If Damour runs about like Adao he will be fine, if not the same people will moan about him.

Hopefully Clare can listen and learn from the experienced guys around him, whether Whelan will be one of them is another thing(to keep the off topic police happy).

Sean Clare suffers from the teachers pet/dads the manager type slagging.  

BackOfTheNet
39 minutes ago, Gashauskis9 said:

Whilst I can see why folk might criticise Clare’s ability/output, to question his attitude is beyond comprehension.  He never hides and at least tries to do stuff on the ball.  What’s more, the man clearly loves this club and is incredibly humble towards the management and support.  

Clare has been handed the Djoum baton and some.  Ridiculous.  The irony is that both the players I’ve just mentioned practically carried us for months last year!

With Damour and possibly Whelan to come in, I’m certain (isn’t a whim or fan boy mentality) that he’ll be Hearts POTY material this season.  These players will give him the freedom to operate in a more attacking role where he is best suited and he’ll be up there with Naismith in the goals/assists.

This.

Leveins Battalion
2 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

Zlamal and Vanecek got slated aswell are we anti Czech??

1 minute ago, busby1985 said:

I rate Clare but didn't rate Djoum or Isma that highly , does  that make  me just 33% racist , a racist or just a football fan with an opinion ? 

Robbo-Jambo
12 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Agree. I like Sean and folk need to lay off and give the lad a chance to learn his position. Now that we have Damour and with Naisy back, we’ll play the ball on the deck more and Sean Clare’s class will come to the fore. 

Correct.

1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

Good post.

He can appear to be lazy, more lackadaisical I would say. He undoubtedly has talent, but needs to learn how to show more often. He also needs to be a bit stronger to play in CM.

Im not sure if we have the time to let him develop slowly, more intense coaching is required imo.

He did cost money too and wasn’t ready to step in to Naismith shoes when he was injured.

The other players you mentioned were also said to be lazy, whether it’s the colour of their skin is hard to tell as Walker was abused for this too. If Damour runs about like Adao he will be fine, if not the same people will moan about him.

Hopefully Clare can listen and learn from the experienced guys around him, whether Whelan will be one of them is another thing(to keep the off topic police happy).

He has been asked to play in a certain way and to help cover Irving etc. So he has been playing the low lying midfielder so far when I’d imagine Levein seen him more as a box to box type player, which is a totally different role to what he’s been asked to do just now. I think he’s a player, I think he’s suffered from the lack of movement in front of him and from not having that ball winner beside him. I think we should now see a different Sean Clare. His problem is people thought he was a superstar when he was signed and have ignored that he’s played as a striker, a right back, a DM and an attacking mid etc. That shows he doesn’t have an attitude problem as he’s happy to pitch in and play out of position etc. Here’s hoping we see a difference. 

Leveins Battalion
Just now, ramrod said:

I rate Clare but didn't rate Djoum or Isma that highly , does  that make  me just 33% racist , a racist or just a football fan with an opinion ? 

Apart from Miko,Jankauskas,Zaliukas and Velicka I though all our Lithuanians were pish,how racist of me.

1 minute ago, ramrod said:

I never singled you out, or if I did then am sorry. My point was broader than just the people that post on this forum, I thought I covered that in my original post as well to be fair. 

40 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

CLARE DOESNT HAVE AN ATTITUDE PROBLEM, for the people at the back. Jesus Christ. What is actual wrong with folk. Sean Clare has played every position he has been asked to for Hearts and has never hide from anything he was asked to do. Has he had crap games, 100%. Has he under performed more than anyone else, 100% not. It worries me that there is something sinister about this hatred for Clare, Djoum, Isma etc as it baffles me that they are constantly singled out. 

Sean Clare isn’t a midfield clogger or ball winner, he’s a ball player. With Haring beside him or Damour beside him, we will see him get on the ball in positions we need him to be, facing the opposition. 

We have loads of problems at the moment, Sean Clare’s attitude isn’t one of them. 

No offence, genuinely, but I am pleasantly surprised to read this post from you. Agree with it completely. 👍

8 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

What like Quitingo,De Vries,Fuller,Kingston,Zeefuik,Goncalves utter pish.

Then you clearly were never there when they were on the field.  Kingston lived next door to me and while he said he was abused far more when he played in Russia he still suffered it at Tynecastle.  

rudi must stay
3 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

No offence, genuinely, but I am pleasantly surprised to read this post from you. Agree with it completely. 👍

He doesn't have an attitude problem. But a bit more self belief and motivation would be nice

That will come I believe, Damour is a piece in the puzzle that we've missed (a few months aside) since Adao left. He'll win it and let others play

4 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

None taken mate, it’s an Internet forum filled with hundreds of different opinions. I know that we both want the best for the club and probably both have total different views on how to achieve it. This nonsense about Clare’s attitude is just mental tho. If you don’t rate his ability, that’s fine. If you don’t think he is playing in the right position, that’s also fine. To say he has an attitude problem, hides or doesn’t try is just stupid. 

1 hour ago, Jambosteve1902 said:

Whats wrong with his attitude? lol he plays where he's asked gives 100% including right back where hes been shoved twice, just gets on with it. 

Presence Authority Workrate Passer Tackler all the attributes of a midfielder.

Goal scorer is a must say 10 goals a season.

My job description for a midfielder to Mr Murray. 

Absolute Scenes
11 minutes ago, ramrod said:

A 33% racist football fan who is 100% racist....I think?

BackOfTheNet
11 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

He has been asked to play in a certain way and to help cover Irving etc. So he has been playing the low lying midfielder so far when I’d imagine Levein seen him more as a box to box type player, which is a totally different role to what he’s been asked to do just now. I think he’s a player, I think he’s suffered from the lack of movement in front of him and from not having that ball winner beside him. I think we should now see a different Sean Clare. His problem is people thought he was a superstar when he was signed and have ignored that he’s played as a striker, a right back, a DM and an attacking mid etc. That shows he doesn’t have an attitude problem as he’s happy to pitch in and play out of position etc. Here’s hoping we see a difference. 

Funny you should mention Irving, I see a lot of fans scream that Irving should play instead of Clare, that he just needs games to develop. (The implication being that Irving is young and can improve and games will do that, whereas Clare’s room for improvement is limited) Thing is Clare has only played 8 more first team games (64) than Irving (56) in his career. Age doesn’t dictate ability to develop, and both have taken different development routes (I’d wager Irving has played far more games at youth level for Hearts than Clare did at his previous clubs due to the Nike academy route). Clare needs time and development, I wish some fans would show more encouragement to him like they do our other young and developing players.

Edited by BackOfTheNet

1 minute ago, busby1985 said:

None taken mate, it’s an Internet forum filled with hundreds of different opinions. I know that we both want the best for the club and probably both have total different views on how to achieve it. This nonsense about Clare’s attitude is just mental tho. If you don’t rate his ability, that’s fine. If you don’t think he is playing in the right position, that’s also fine. To say he has an attitude problem, hides or doesn’t try is just stupid. 

Could not agree more, mate. Here’s to witnessing success together. HHGH. 👍❤️

42 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Weve replaced Djoum with Damour silly😂😂😂🙈

Yeah and that's a game into the season we should've had our midfield ready for Aberdeen seeing as we all knew Djoum was away

3 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

He doesn't have an attitude problem. But a bit more self belief and motivation would be nice

That will come I believe, Damour is a piece in the puzzle that we've missed (a few months aside) since Adao left. He'll win it and let others play

Again, I agree with all of that (except maybe motivation). It annoys me that folk think the way to help a guy with self-belief is to berate him though.

Inch Hearts

Whelan has turned hearts down, officially. More to come after 6pm 👍. Judasd for another English side. 

2 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Funny you should mention Irving, I see a lot of fans scream that Irving should play instead of Clare, that he just needs games to develop. (The implication being that Irving is young and can improve and games will do that, whereas Clare’s room for improvement is limited) Thing is Clare has only played 8 more first team games (64) than Irving (56) in his career. Age doesn’t dictate ability to develop, and both have taken different development routes (I’d wager Irving has played far more games at youth level for Hearts than Clare did at his previous clubs due to the Nike academy route). Clare needs time and development, I wish some fans would show more encouragement to him like they do our other young and developing players.

I’d be willing to bet Levein has pulled Clare aside and asked him to guide Irving through the games, watch him and don’t leave him isolated type thing. That means Clare will be the one doing the ball winning etc and trying to get Irving involved. I laughed at people saying Irving had a great game but Clare was crap 🙈 totally ignoring the part Clare will have played in that. 

1 minute ago, Inch Hearts said:

Whelan has turned hearts down, officially. More to come after 6pm 👍. Judasd for another English side. 

Where you hearing this?

Pasquale for King
15 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

Definitely, like Djoum he’s been asked to play different positions and it’s not easy to excel when you do that. He has a bright future, might be a couple of seasons before we see him at his best though.

Bring Back Paulo Sergio
3 minutes ago, Inch Hearts said:

Meh, wasn't overly keen on a 35 year old part-time player anyway. The player I wanted to sign just signed a 4 year contract this morning.

Edited by Bring Back Paulo Sergio

So Glenn has turned us down. So let’s go for someone better as it’s not the end of the world.

Let our Chief Scout find a midfielder out there in the world that will fit into our great club.

CloustonHMFC
12 minutes ago, Inch Hearts said:

If this is true, hardly ‘Judasd’  

1 minute ago, mitch41 said:

So Glenn has turned us down. So let’s go for someone better as it’s not the end of the world.

Let our Chief Scout find a midfielder out there in the world that will fit into our great club.

Rather someone else did. 

All the time wasted mentally following this thread, just as well I had nowt better to do.

Marooned In Ireland
3 hours ago, Jodami said:

Good summation of what Whelan is from someone who has obviously saw him in action live. Viewing this from a solely Hearts perspective who do you see him giving it to when he gets the ball? At Villa last year he gave it to Grealish and McGinn who are decent players. I can see the value in Whelan but I just wonder if this is what we really need. 

He's not the type of guy to spray 40 yard cross field balls. He had, as you rightly mention, quality around him in the Villa team. In internationals, he was more inclined to put the ball out to the wings as Ireland have very little in terms of tactics in that area, and Jeff Hendrick would always be positioned nearly 20 odd yards ahead of him.

Assuming that he signs, and guessing on whatever formation and selection CL will put out, I'm guessing he'll be hovering behind Damour, Haring, or Clare, hence I'd bet he'll be inclined to spread it to the touchlines to Mulraney or Walker where possible. He's too cautious of putting the ball through the middle and losing possession and having a counter attack driving in on top of him.

All if's and but's at present as we won't see him dribble until we see him scribble.

Inch Hearts
11 minutes ago, Barack said:

Judas?

Can't you tell us more before 6pm?

Stv reporter.

Gave his word and tracked back. 

Inch Hearts
1 minute ago, Leveins Battalion said:

In his head

No bother mate.  He won’t be signing.

If he does I’ll leave Kickback. 

Inch Hearts
12 minutes ago, Bring Back Paulo Sergio said:

Meh, wasn't overly keen on a 35 year old part-time player anyway. The player I wanted to sign just signed a 4 year contract this morning.

Agree. 

Think if Whelan not coming means we can take our time and looks elsewhere.

Depends how long Haring out for its no a disaster.

BarneyBattles44
1 minute ago, Turkishcap said:

All the time wasted mentally following this thread, just as well I had nowt better to do.

Not over yet threads going to last a bit longer . Don't Move Yet

stranraer-jambo
1 hour ago, busby1985 said:

CLARE DOESNT HAVE AN ATTITUDE PROBLEM, for the people at the back. Jesus Christ. What is actual wrong with folk. Sean Clare has played every position he has been asked to for Hearts and has never hide from anything he was asked to do. Has he had crap games, 100%. Has he under performed more than anyone else, 100% not. It worries me that there is something sinister about this hatred for Clare, Djoum, Isma etc as it baffles me that they are constantly singled out. 

Sean Clare isn’t a midfield clogger or ball winner, he’s a ball player. With Haring beside him or Damour beside him, we will see him get on the ball in positions we need him to be, facing the opposition. 

We have loads of problems at the moment, Sean Clare’s attitude isn’t one of them. 

Common sense, truth and insight with this post. 👍

Marooned In Ireland

I'm seeing there that it's claimed Whelan has turned Hearts down. If so, not the end of the world. Wouldn't regard it as time wasted as no doubt we'll be talking to others in the meantime. If we're not, then that's something that needs to be looked at.

Big decision for the lad on what could be his last professional contract. If he's got a good offer in England where he doesn't have to uproot family and a bigger paycheck than we can offer, good luck to him.

3 minutes ago, jr ewing said:

Rather someone else did. 

To be fair to him he did say that he didn’t think Whelan would sign a couple of days ago. Wife and kids didn’t fancy the move or the separation. 

OmiyaHearts
48 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

Questions his performance, that’s fine. Everyone has been guilty of under performing. It’s the nonsense about him having a bad attitude that really annoys me. I’d bet you my house Clare never chapped Leveins door and asked to become a centre mid. Levein will have pulled him in and ran the idea past him and since then he’s rolled his sleeves up and got into it. No moaning, no complaining, no transfer requests etc, just happy to be playing. It’s a total

myth that he hides and doesn’t tackle etc. Idiots. 

I'm hopeful having a quality man in midfield with him, doing the dirty work, will allow Clare to shine. He's got the work ethic to be a good midfielder, just needs to adapt to the role and that'll hopefully happen, if given time.

gashauskis9
1 minute ago, Inch Hearts said:

This could get awkward as Eddie said he’d quit kickback if Whelan didn’t sign 😦😦😦

Marooned In Ireland

Incidentally, thanks to the people who appreciated my contribution earlier. Give it enough time and no doubt I'll post something that people don't agree with!!!

22 minutes ago, rory78 said:

Yeah and that's a game into the season we should've had our midfield ready for Aberdeen seeing as we all knew Djoum was away

Players aren’t always immediately available at the time you want them. 

Perth to Paisley

Would rather young  Harry got a game now we have a ball winner/destroyer.

Creativity is still in short supply

4 minutes ago, Gashauskis9 said:

This could get awkward as Eddie said he’d quit kickback if Whelan didn’t sign 😦😦😦

It’s a win - win for the forum either way TBF. 

William H. Bonney
8 minutes ago, Inch Hearts said:

Take Eddie the eagle with you. 

gashauskis9
2 minutes ago, Dino Velvet said:

Take Eddie the eagle with you. 

One of them won’t survive this!!!

Famous 1874

Wouldn’t be very surprising if Whelan does not join us. Family is settled in England and he’ll be able to get a team who pay more than we can. If true, we move on.

• davemclaren locked this topic