Glenn Whelan signs one year deal with Hearts (title updated)

Roman1874

8 minutes ago, Marooned In Ireland said:

I've seen Whelan play a number of times. No pace (never had any), not noted to be great in the air (he's not even 6 ft) and he has been accused of fading out of games by many people who don't pay enough attention to the game.

In reality, he often seems anonymous in games because he's not flashy, does the dirty work quietly and passes the ball off quickly. He has great vision and is a good communicator on the field. He hasn't been in the premier league for the best part of a decade for nothing, and the same can be said on international level. Some may argue that the 2 managers who persevered with him were both anti football (Pulis and Trapattoni), however, he was still the linchpin of Stoke and Ireland for a decade, give or take.

I can only recall about 2 periods where he was out injured and unavailable for internationals in all his time togging out so the injury prone story doesn't hold much water either. 

I personally believe he has a year or two in him and would be a hugely beneficial signing for us, a strong voice and good football brain. McDonald and Cochrane to name but two would learn a lot from him and his wealth of experience. Plus, he'll not be bullied by the likes of Brown either. 

I hope we get this over the line.

The most insightful post in KB for some time. Delete your account immediately before some form of informed and considered chat breaks out!

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BarneyBattles44

• Notts1874

• Victorian

• Morgan

Goldstone Wonder
7 minutes ago, Marooned In Ireland said:

I've seen Whelan play a number of times. No pace (never had any), not noted to be great in the air (he's not even 6 ft) and he has been accused of fading out of games by many people who don't pay enough attention to the game.

In reality, he often seems anonymous in games because he's not flashy, does the dirty work quietly and passes the ball off quickly. He has great vision and is a good communicator on the field. He hasn't been in the premier league for the best part of a decade for nothing, and the same can be said on international level. Some may argue that the 2 managers who persevered with him were both anti football (Pulis and Trapattoni), however, he was still the linchpin of Stoke and Ireland for a decade, give or take.

I can only recall about 2 periods where he was out injured and unavailable for internationals in all his time togging out so the injury prone story doesn't hold much water either. 

I personally believe he has a year or two in him and would be a hugely beneficial signing for us, a strong voice and good football brain. McDonald and Cochrane to name but two would learn a lot from him and his wealth of experience. Plus, he'll not be bullied by the likes of Brown either. 

Thanks for the insight. Would love to see him in a maroon jersey.

30 minutes ago, Marooned In Ireland said:

In a sea of opinions, yours stands out.  Thanks for the considered post - I wish the forum had more like you!

chester copperpot
37 minutes ago, Marooned In Ireland said:

Bravo 👏👏👏

Boy that Ken's his fitba 

1 hour ago, Goldstone Wonder said:

I see they refer to Damour as a defensive midfielder on the official website. Would love to see Whelan in as well but suspect it will be one of the other 

Was thinking similar. Even if we did get Whelan, Damour would be in and around the same area of the pitch and I doubt, with both of them coming from higher earning clubs, we could efficiently afford both, especially as Haring will be back in a few months with further back up in Irving and Cochrane. Lets not forget, Lee is still around, not found a new club yet as far as i'm aware so it has to be assumed that if he doesn't find new employers, he's contracted and still part of the squad. Personally i'd like us to bring in a more instinctive forward. Uche and Washington are good around the box, as is Naismith but someone more a penalty box striker, someone that's in there when the ball gets deflected, dropped by a goalie, missed by a defender, you know the type. Oh for a John Robertson these days! Quite happy for McLean and Wighton to move on and maybe get Keena out on loan to a half decent team.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
19 minutes ago, Dannie Boy said:

Come on Glenn get your finger out and sign for the Famous. 

With Haring and Damour I think we should now look in a different direction

2 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Goal keeper is a must for me. However we seem to pick up injuries at an alarming rate and Whelan would gives decent back up. 

Robbo-Jambo

If both sign you would expect them to be in the first 11 most weeks. 

Are they both DM's though, not to sure tbh? 

Dont know how how Haring would fit into the equation when he's back unless there is a bit of rotation as Whelan is 35.

Robbo-Jambo
3 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Thinking that as well. 

Do we need Whelan as well? 

Maybe better using that money on a goalie or another striker who is more of a poacher type player. 

It will be interesting to see how it all pans out. 

2 minutes ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

Thinking that as well. 

Do we need Whelan as well? 

Maybe better using that money on a goalie or another striker who is more of a poacher type player. 

It will be interesting to see how it all pans out. 

We’ve been lacking a quality midfield for years, so I’d say yes.

if they can provide the dig we need as well as improved service to our forwards it will improve us enormously 

16 minutes ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

If both sign you would expect them to be in the first 11 most weeks. 

Are they both DM's though, not to sure tbh? 

Dont know how how Haring would fit into the equation when he's back unless there is a bit of rotation as Whelan is 35.

Levein might use the three of them. Add on three centre halves and it's looking like a Levein team....😁

A one year contract with a years extension if he plays in over 30 games would sound 

about right with a clause that if both parties think it's not working out he could be 

released in january if he can find another club.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
7 minutes ago, Section Q said:

Levein might use the three of them. Add on three centre halves and it's looking like a Levein team....😁

4-6-0 just for a laugh

It’s a balance as he comes with pedigree so sometimes have to accept these demands...we could sign someone who trains full time but is half the player...we are not in the driving seat in terms of bargaining .....JamesMilner won all the fitness tests at Liverpool despite his age, it’s not all about an age fitness and experience can be individual strengths 

maidstonejambo

I'd like to see Whelan sign, but there's just a small worry for me that it means we'd be more willing to entertain an approach from Celtic for Souttar.

Whelan and Damour in as DMs, so Haring can be pushed back to CB alongside Halkett or Berra. Hope I'm wrong. 

Brick Tamland
2 hours ago, skodef said:

Aye and your an expert on every possible new signing .I bow to your superior wisdom and hope if Whelan signs he is the midfielder we are looking for to boss games.

You have spouted utter, utter shite on all of your posts. I'm surprised you have lasted this long as you are not too good at hiding your hobo leanings

16 minutes ago, salvo69 said:

It’s a balance as he comes with pedigree so sometimes have to accept these demands...we could sign someone who trains full time but is half the player...we are not in the driving seat in terms of bargaining .....JamesMilner won all the fitness tests at Liverpool despite his age, it’s not all about an age fitness and experience can be individual strengths 

MILNER is a Liverpool Superman.

1 hour ago, Marooned In Ireland said:

Good summation of what Whelan is from someone who has obviously saw him in action live. Viewing this from a solely Hearts perspective who do you see him giving it to when he gets the ball? At Villa last year he gave it to Grealish and McGinn who are decent players. I can see the value in Whelan but I just wonder if this is what we really need. 

Tynecastle Valhalla

Please sign for us mr whelan 

tremendous pedegree and would help the younger players as others have said 

would be a first team starter every week alongside damour

I get that Whelan is a player who would add steel and experience to our midfield but I worry that with Damour signing, Haring due back in a few weeks and a glut of young CMs as well as Bozanic,  Naismith , Clare and Walker this is not a position that we require anybody else to fill.

New CF please and try to move MacLean on (to St Johnstone or the like) and possibly Wighton on a 6 month loan.

Absolute Scenes
3 minutes ago, tcjambo said:

I get that Whelan is a player who would add steel and experience to our midfield but I worry that with Damour signing, Haring due back in a few weeks and a glut of young CMs as well as Bozanic,  Naismith , Clare and Walker this is not a position that we require anybody else to fill.

New CF please and try to move MacLean on (to St Johnstone or the like) and possibly Wighton on a 6 month loan.

As much as we haven't seen it, we get the strength of the team sorted and we wont need another striker - Walker, Naismith and Washington all capable of above 10 goals each. I'd prefer spending those wages on  abetter keeper

Just now, tcjambo said:

It’s the type of player for CM that many have been craving for months. 

Walker, Naismith etc...are heavily weighed towards attacking. In people’s minds they don’t see them as what you’d call a traditional centre mid.  We’ve always needed that more all round centre mid with a mentality for both elements of the game but is more at comfort being played centrally. 

Having players who can read the game in midfield  , more importantly in this case defensively, are something we were short on.  It lets the likes of Walker and Naismith stay up the park. 

You know, if we can snap up Whelan as well as Damour, we'll not be getting bullied like we were on Sunday.

That's one nails midfield! 

6 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

It’s the type of player for CM that many have been craving for months. 

Walker, Naismith etc...are heavily weighed towards attacking. In people’s minds they don’t see them as what you’d call a traditional centre mid.  We’ve always needed that more all round centre mid with a mentality for both elements of the game but is more at comfort being played centrally. 

Having players who can read the game in midfield  , more importantly in this case defensively, are something we were short on.  It lets the likes of Walker and Naismith stay up the park. 

We will have Haring, Bozanic  and Damour who can all play that role though as well as Lee if he doesn't leave. If we do get Whelan, Lee would have to be a certainty to leave. Personally I would still like to prioritise  a competitor for Uche's place.

Edited by tcjambo

David McCreary type signing

Whelan, Damour and Haring would leave little to complain about imo

only problem thing seems to be keeping players fit

Just now, tcjambo said:

We will have Haring, Bozanic  and Damour who can all play that role though as well as Lee if he doesn't leave. If we do get Whelan Lee would have to be a certainty to eave. Personally I would still like to prioritise  a competitor for Uche's place.

Personally bud, I couldn’t care how big the squad was.  If the manager keeps them happy and gets results it’s all that matters. 

But yes, can see your reasoning regards Uche but I don’t think we’ll be after another forward., imo.

1 minute ago, Debut 4 said:

Personally bud, I couldn’t care how big the squad was.  If the manager keeps them happy and gets results it’s all that matters. 

But yes, can see your reasoning regards Uche but I don’t think we’ll be after another forward., imo.

Still hopeful Keena is in and about the first team this year.

Scored another 2 during the week.  Against weaker opposition yes, but you still need to put the ball in the net.

Just now, mitch41 said:

the question is are Hearts still trying to sign Glen Whelan.

I seriously doubt it now

4 minutes ago, Lovecraft said:

Still hopeful Keena is in and about the first team this year.

Scored another 2 during the week.  Against weaker opposition yes, but you still need to put the ball in the net.

Aye. I know the lad is gagging for matches but I’d certainly keep him on the fringes ready. 

You look what’s happened recently with injuries and how we then lack options. He was at Dunfermline when we got hit. 

Maybe its time to take a slight gamble with him?  I don’t mean necessarily starting but even if we are one up and looking comfy in some matches, give him the carrot to come on and see if he can grab a goal or be effective in the unit to control the game. 

Again, purely down to circumstances. I’m not saying tempt the throwing away of points. 

Edited by Debut 4

2 hours ago, Marooned In Ireland said:

Sounds absolutely ideal

5 minutes ago, tcjambo said:

I seriously doubt it now

Pity if they aren't. Ann and CL must be watching every penny.

I'd still take Whelan/a Midfielder as a priority but can see the arguments for a CF or GK.  

If we do get Whelan and a CF then I'd be struggling to pick the best team (which is nice).  Especially once Haring is back.

14 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

According to Banderson aye

10 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

Good question.

If Loic plays tomorrow in a CM with Irving and/or Clare and it is a howling success, CL might conclude he can get by until Haring's return and spend any money he has elsewhere eg bring in a reliable goalie (on loan, if necessary).  I get the feeling Whelan might miss the boat here.  He is looking for regular football from an Eire point of view and his chances might be better with us  than somewhere else where the terms are better.

Still think we need another midfielder and a GK. The goalkeeper position is one that I can't remember us being as weak in for a long time. Probably been spoiled with the ones we have had recently but it's something we need to seriously look at. Both are decent number 2's but should not be playing every week for us. 

Inch Hearts
12 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

Pity if they aren't. Ann and CL must be watching every penny.

Not sure how you can say that, the clubs should good ambition this window when you look at the players signed from back to front. 

Jambosteve1902
1 minute ago, Inch Hearts said:

Not sure how you can say that, the clubs should good ambition this window when you look at the players signed from back to front. 

absolutely this. Damours loan was questionable due to his wage demands so to get him in permanently on 4 year deal shows we're being fairly lenient with the cash! 

1 hour ago, maidstonejambo said:

I'd like to see Whelan sign, but there's just a small worry for me that it means we'd be more willing to entertain an approach from Celtic for Souttar.

Whelan and Damour in as DMs, so Haring can be pushed back to CB alongside Halkett or Berra. Hope I'm wrong. 

You are 

Hampden Demolition

Whatever Banderson says should be taken with a pinch of salt. He reported that Whelan was unlikely last night.

Inch Hearts
43 minutes ago, Craig_ said:

You know, if we can snap up Whelan as well as Damour, we'll not be getting bullied like we were on Sunday.

That's one nails midfield! 

Would there be room for Clare who seems an automatic first pick? 

Jambosteve1902
7 minutes ago, Hampden Demolition said:

Whatever Banderson says should be taken with a pinch of salt. He reported that Whelan was unlikely last night.

he said it was unlikely to be complete before saturday last night. he's not once said its not likely. 

Jambosteve1902
2 minutes ago, Inch Hearts said:

Would there be room for Clare who seems an automatic first pick? 

rightfully so aswell. in a good team he'l be a key player. anyone who can't see that needs to wake up. 

Mr Elwood P
1 hour ago, maidstonejambo said:

What are Celtic going to do with Souttar?

8 minutes ago, Hampden Demolition said:

True but he is probably the most reliable journo regarding HMFC news.

hmfc_liam06
8 minutes ago, Hampden Demolition said:

So did you...or are you Banderson?

6 minutes ago, Jambosteve1902 said:

rightfully so aswell. in a good team he'l be a key player. anyone who can't see that needs to wake up. 

I'm wide awake and have serious doubts he's going to make it with us. 

• davemclaren locked this topic