Glenn Whelan signs one year deal with Hearts (title updated)

Roman1874

27 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Much easier to toe the party line eh Deevers. I don't rate Levein nor a lot of the players he needs for his system.  Hardly a secret.

Not really. Always try to look for the positive just now. If we need a defensive midfielder then that is what we should be getting. I know that we should be looking for someone who can provide a bit of creativity and I think that’s being addressed as well. 

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BarneyBattles44

• Notts1874

• Victorian

• Morgan

1 hour ago, Sir Gio said:

Seems like neither party is willing to compromise, which is not a fantastic start to the relationship

Sometimes negotiations are not so simple. Doesn’t mean there’s any unwillingness to come or take him. 

i wish jj was my dad
5 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

As usual, the priority is a defensive midfielder who can break up play, an ageing one in this case, rather than a creative, pacy midfielder who can link with our attack. 

Washington, Naismith, Walker and even Halkett have all been signed to boost our attacking options. It would take a particularly stupid or desperate troll to miss that.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 minute ago, 1971fozzy said:

Sometimes negotiations are not so simple. Doesn’t mean there’s any unwillingness to come or take him. 

Which is true, but we are over a week on with these. Fair enough family is priority but its an unusual job

Lord Beni of Gorgie
39 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Much easier to toe the party line eh Deevers. I don't rate Levein nor a lot of the players he needs for his system.  Hardly a secret.

Don't think anyone is in any doubt about your view Enzo

2 hours ago, 19/05/2012 said:

If it means we don’t have to watch Bozanic and Clare then I am all for signing both

Levein thought Clare was good enough, did he have him watched or was it word of mouth? 

7 minutes ago, dustybin said:

Levein thought Clare was good enough, did he have him watched or was it word of mouth? 

Some turn out to be good but a lot of our signings are gambles. This one with Clare doesn’t seem to be working but he keeps starting so Levein must see something we don’t. I honestly think Malaury Martin has had more decent games for us than Clare has just don’t see it with him. I think Killie away is the only time I have seen him have a decent game

If we get whelan in Clare will start to play better in the midfield as he can focus on pushing forward rather than having to do the dirty work which Haring would've been doing

5 minutes ago, bazman said:

If we get whelan in Clare will start to play better in the midfield as he can focus on pushing forward rather than having to do the dirty work which Haring would've been doing

I think the jury is massively out on that.

17 minutes ago, Jamboelite said:

I think the jury is massively out on that.

He still has to prove it but need to give it time. Far too quick to judge things these days

Enzo Chiefo
57 minutes ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

Washington, Naismith, Walker and even Halkett have all been signed to boost our attacking options. It would take a particularly stupid or desperate troll to miss that.

Vanacek, Amankwaa, Clare, Wighton and McLean were also signed to boost our attacking options so forgive me if I don't have a lot of faith in our signings, with the exception of Naismith who has been here for 18 months. It takes a bit of intelligence to see the bigger picture. 

With this going quiet, the chat about Damour being up today and the reports of it being one or the other, I'm guessing this is looking unlikely now.

i wish jj was my dad
8 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Vanacek, Amankwaa, Clare, Wighton and McLean were also signed to boost our attacking options so forgive me if I don't have a lot of faith in our signings, with the exception of Naismith who has been here for 18 months. It takes a bit of intelligence to see the bigger picture. 

So you don't rate the 4 players we (that's Hearts mind) signed? 

Enzo Chiefo
47 minutes ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

So you don't rate the 4 players we (that's Hearts mind) signed? 

Halkett is a defender for us (Hearts mind), Naismith ..yes. Washington and Walker...the jury are enjoying their lunch just now.  How about the ones I listed off the top of my head?

3 hours ago, Sir Gio said:

Seems like neither party is willing to compromise, which is not a fantastic start to the relationship

Bit like me and the missus. She’s a Nando’s girl but I’m a straight up MacDonalds man. Never mix your chickens with your burgers 👍🏻

siegementality
1 hour ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

In fairness I think we know what we are getting with Naismith, Walker and Halkett. Washington not so much. All four are vastly superior players to those you named. A bit credit needs to be given, and I am be no means a fan of Levein.

Enzo Chiefo
6 hours ago, siegementality said:

In fairness I think we know what we are getting with Naismith, Walker and Halkett. Washington not so much. All four are vastly superior players to those you named. A bit credit needs to be given, and I am be no means a fan of Levein.

Yes, totally agree with that.

i wish jj was my dad
6 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Halkett is a defender for us (Hearts mind), Naismith ..yes. Washington and Walker...the jury are enjoying their lunch just now.  How about the ones I listed off the top of my head?

McLean has done ok when played in the role he was signed for. Not so well when he was our only fit striker. Clare has shown promise but has hardly set the heather alight, Wighton is still adjusting after recovering from a long term injury but the signs aren't good. DV we will never know what happened but he never looked fit.  Amankwaa was howling. 

Walker is proven and has got off to a decent start. Washington looked the business on Sunday. 

Still to throw in Uche, Mulraney, MacDonald and Morrison. Halkett has gone up front and scored too.

Quite a few attacking players for a manager only interested in holding midfielders. Go along to the odd (Hearts) game rather than relying on sportscene and you can see for yourself that we have played on the front foot every game so far. 

Whelan talks seem to be going on for a long time now. He's maybe hoping for something "better"....!!

11 minutes ago, Section Q said:

Whelan talks seem to be going on for a long time now. He's maybe hoping for something "better"....!!

If he hasn't signed by Saturday I think we should look elsewhere.  No point wasting time on someone who would rather go elsewhere if another offer comes in.

The guys just played a full season for a top championship club, he's probably waiting for a phone call from another championship club who could probably double our wage offer.

I'd imagine we've offered 2 years though, which may swing him towards us.

4 minutes ago, Glottis said:

The guys just played a full season for a top championship club, he's probably waiting for a phone call from another championship club who could probably double our wage offer.

I'd imagine we've offered 2 years though, which may swing him towards us.

Not sure 2 years is a factor either way, he may well just be looking to play every week to secure his spot at the euros next summer and then retire

24 minutes ago, Section Q said:

Or everything is agreed but as said on here he may well have been back in Birmingham before travelling back for the end of the week to train and sign

8 minutes ago, Ribble said:

Or everything is agreed but as said on here he may well have been back in Birmingham before travelling back for the end of the week to train and sign

If it's all agreed then an announcement would be nice. Doesn't the English transfer deadline end tonight..?

He might be  hanging out for a last minute deal down south.

1 minute ago, Section Q said:

If it's all agreed then an announcement would be nice. Doesn't the English transfer deadline end tonight..?

He might be  hanging out for a last minute deal down south.

Mir does so while it could be agreed he may well sign tomorrow where it will be easier to get a hold of the English fa for international clearance, they’ll probably be quite busy today!

Point I’m making is that there could be any number of reasons he’s not signed yet but beachside it’s taking time it doesn’t mean that it’s more or less likely to happen

This deal is "hanging in the balance" according to a reliable poster on here. I wouldn't get your hopes up for an announcement today.

I think Damour is the alternative (or one of them at least).

HillmanHearts

From the various pieces of info out there ; He wants to play regularly at the highest level he can to keep in the International frame and he wants to be as close to his family as possible. So it appears to me he's waiting to see if he gets a "better" option.  

mainstandjambo

Craig Levein will no doubt be asked at his pre match media conference today for an update on possible signings. Be interesting to hear if he is very forthcoming on the matter.

hmfc_liam06
Just now, daveyhmfc said:

Nothing like Hearts and transfer negotiations dragging on ad infinitum. 

I know right! No other team has these issues!

8 minutes ago, daveyhmfc said:

Not like you to post a negative comment, Davy.

The Treasurer
16 minutes ago, daveyhmfc said:

What would you prefer

HMFC - we'll give you £1k and a one year deal.

GW - nah I want £10k and a 5 year deal.

HMFC - ok

TheGoodLord
2 hours ago, HillmanHearts said:

From the various pieces of info out there ; He wants to play regularly at the highest level he can to keep in the International frame and he wants to be as close to his family as possible. So it appears to me he's waiting to see if he gets a "better" option.  

Pretty much this I’d imagine. Agent will always try and get a couple of notes of interest to help leverage the best next deal. We probably sit in the middle somewhere. Not sure I’d be fussed about this signing, I’d fear an early injury and long spell out at his age but delighted to be proved completely wrong. 

gashauskis9

Spot on.  

Whelan is by some way the better pedigree.    A short term permanent deal is probably better than a loan.    But who knows?

I hope Hearts are looking for "better" options too.  He could miss the boat.

Heartsofgold

I'm beginning to think that this is not going to happen now.  Hope I'm wrong but.....

Sky just reported that Whelan deal looking unlikely and whilst we are talking to

Cardiff boy again but again looking unlikely  

18 minutes ago, PTBCAL said:

Sky just reported that Whelan deal looking unlikely and whilst we are talking to

Seen that as well not looking good

YouLetYourClubDie
21 minutes ago, PTBCAL said:

Barry jinxed us yesterday 😥

TyphoonJambo
On 07/08/2019 at 10:11, The Treasurer said:

Imagine the meltdown on here if both fall through, could be messy. 

Absolute Scenes
22 minutes ago, PTBCAL said:

Evening news saying Dmaour deal is likely to happen...Sky now saying its not happening??

afanderson33
23 minutes ago, PTBCAL said:

With all due respect to them Sky don’t have their finger on the pulse in Scotland. I expect Anderson wouldn’t have published that without speaking to the club today. Scottish journalists will be far more up to date. 

also note how quickly multiple websites had the stories up about Damour last night - Hearts clearly told the press this. 

if someone like Robert Martin or Gareth Law at the Sun says our deal for those players is off then it most likely is. 

1 minute ago, TypoonJambo said:

Imagine the meltdown on here if both fall through, could be messy. 

What’s clear is recruiting players within our wage structure is even harder this summer so I have some sympathy with trying to bring players in who have played at English Championship level. Future strategy for me is focussing on pre contracts, most probably based in Scotland as we can pay more than two thirds of the league. 

1 hour ago, TheGoodLord said:

Pretty much this I’d imagine. Agent will always try and get a couple of notes of interest to help leverage the best next deal. We probably sit in the middle somewhere. Not sure I’d be fussed about this signing, I’d fear an early injury and long spell out at his age but delighted to be proved completely wrong. 

I've seen a number of folk say this, is it just because he's 35? Whelan has been out injured for a grand total of about 3 weeks out of an 18 year career.

31 minutes ago, PTBCAL said:

Sky app saying we are persuing both, but because the deadline here is September 2nd no rush to complete today

TyphoonJambo

Fly be have several flights every day between Edinburgh and Birmingham. Probably be home faster than Craig. 

• davemclaren locked this topic