Glenn Whelan signs one year deal with Hearts (title updated)

Roman1874

Sub4TiddlerMurray
2 minutes ago, EIEIO said:

A reasonable argument but except for Naismith I can't think of any other examples of it working. Maybe Lafferty a couple of years ago?

Pasquale Bruno!

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BarneyBattles44

• Notts1874

• Victorian

• Morgan

Leveins Battalion
6 minutes ago, Gav M said:

If we want top quality, we either have to pay the price to get them in early, or we have to wait until they are within our pay range. I'd rather we wait and get that quality at a price we can afford rather than screwing ourselves financially or picking up lesser players just because they are available and within our means straight away.

We need quality, and the type of quality we want at the price we ate able to pay means we may have to wait a bit.

Heres an idea,how about getting some decent scouts that can spot an up and coming player like John McGinn or Lewis Ferguson?Or we can wait and look like desparado's hanging out the arse of Djoum and Whelan.

pettigrewsstylist
18 hours ago, Ribble said:

He is seemingly happy with wages and the one year deal offered, sticking point is that his family won’t move up so discussions are continuing around how much time he spends training on his own at home v training with the squad

Sounds even more like a potentially disinterested panic signing if true.

Dallas Green
29 minutes ago, EIEIO said:

A reasonable argument but except for Naismith I can't think of any other examples of it working. Maybe Lafferty a couple of years ago?

Rudi joined in September 2010.

pettigrewsstylist
3 hours ago, gedster said:

We've had months and months to get this right and a preferred starting eleven before the season started........smacks of no proper pre-planning. Another month to find a player and maybe another month to get them 100% fit....

Why stop there. Why not just leave it till next yr!

Dalstonjambo
6 minutes ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

Or a guy who is willing to not be with his family, live away from them X days a week and still sign for us. I'd suggest the opposite.

3 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

The fact that Levein is saying he is in “no rush” suggests that he may be genuinely comfortable with our options if we do not get anyone in. Im not comfortable at all with our options. But as I’ve said, I hope he is just trying to give the impression of playing it cool. I’m sure that’s what it is. 

He could have said, instead,  "I'm desperate to sign a MF" and encourage anyone we approach to up their terms.

Now that's a novel idea.

pettigrewsstylist
1 minute ago, JamboAl said:

He could have said, instead,  "I'm desperate to sign a MF" and encourage anyone we approach to up their terms.

Now that's a novel idea.

Ahhh... long game, like it 👍

18 minutes ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

Not sure how you got to that from my post? just making things up!

You have no idea if he is disinterested or not, he may well be shaking with excitement at the thought of playing here but if his wife and kids aren't moving then he's not leaving them full time for a year which is a perfectly reasonable response from a 35yr old husband and father.

Also what about this says we are panicking? If anything the time being taken is the exact opposite of panicking!

OmiyaHearts
15 minutes ago, StevenNaismith said:

Heard that Damour from Cardiff is more likely than Whelan now.

You mean you read that Damour might be coming, as per the article dated 7th August on the Damour thread.

heartsfc_fan
18 minutes ago, StevenNaismith said:

Heard that Damour from Cardiff is more likely than Whelan now.

Certainly a longer term solution given his age

joondalupjambo

Whelan going toe to toe with Brown, if we get him might be worth a watch.

Regarding reduced training schedules, Ian Black said in the simon ferry interview that he barely trained by the end of the 5-1 season. Also said that he just didn't turn up for it at times when wages weren't being paid. 

2 hours ago, maroonlegions said:

This is were i am at, sadly nothing will change every season until there is a new infrastructure in place, one that gets their finger out that is. 

How do you sign players before they become available? Once you have answered that with a good explanation I’ll think about whether your grievance is justified. 

4 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

If you wait too long you’ll not get the right player, you’ll either get no player or it’ll be October before your team starts ticking. We are 1-2 months behind schedule to get a midfielder signed, fit, settled in and comfortable in our team system ready for the league season. 

And if you go too early you are shopping in levels way below what you can get at this time. Especially so if you don’t have millions to spend on transfer fees. 

Tell us the midfielders we could have signed one to two months ago that would be as good or better than those we are currently negotiating with. 

1 hour ago, EIEIO said:

Djoum was another example. As was big Jon. It works for most clubs that don’t have money to waste on transfer fees. 

Enzo Chiefo
5 hours ago, Jodami said:

We have a midfield who seem barely capable of stringing forward passes together, their attacking transition in games is virtually non existent. I don't see how bringing in a first team starter who will miss most training sessions can really help address this. So many of our midfield issues need worked on at training and this means spending large amounts of time walking through game scenarios. It also obviously takes time to gel with teammates. If he can't commit to coming up here we should walk away now. 

As usual, the priority is a defensive midfielder who can break up play, an ageing one in this case, rather than a creative, pacy midfielder who can link with our attack. 

3 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

As usual, the priority is a defensive midfielder who can break up play, an ageing one in this case, rather than a creative, pacy midfielder who can link with our attack. 

Cmon Enzo. We've signed several attack minded players and we desperately need that ball winner to complement them and make sure we have sufficient possession for them to be able to play. I know you know this. 

BarneyBattles44

The amount of work involved in the right target n deal for both sides covers many days. As an onlooker the wait can be a head ****. Imagine what its like to be involved. Neither side in potential transfer wants to waste the interest of their assets. Fingers crossed Hearts come out the winners

Edited by BarneyBattles44

StevenNaismith
1 hour ago, OmiyaHearts said:

You mean you read that Damour might be coming, as per the article dated 7th August on the Damour thread.

No, I meant what I typed funnily enough. Hadn’t read the thread on Damour at the time of posting.

4 hours ago, Castle rock said:

Hobo I'm working with claims Whelan going to Sunderland not heard anything myself probably pish

Feels like a Jack Ross thing to do.

BarneyBattles44
34 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

And if you go too early you are shopping in levels way below what you can get at this time. Especially so if you don’t have millions to spend on transfer fees. 

Tell us the midfielders we could have signed one to two months ago that would be as good or better than those we are currently negotiating with. 

Theres been exactly 2 months work done between first - third targets

Enzo Chiefo
45 minutes ago, HoGwash said:

Cmon Enzo. We've signed several attack minded players and we desperately need that ball winner to complement them and make sure we have sufficient possession for them to be able to play. I know you know this. 

HoGwash, yes, I appreciate that we have signed Walker and Washington but imo we were missing creative CMs last year and, although I didn't particularly rate Djoum, we are another one short in there after his departure.  We do have attacking options but we need to utilise their threat to the opposition rather than worrying about the defensive side of their game.

1 hour ago, heartsfc_fan said:

Certainly a longer term solution given his age

Would only be a loan deal though

3 hours ago, sadj said:

Digbeth is my favourite place ever.... woken up there twice after a night out in Aberdeen....Well worth the visit 👍🏻

Did you go back to sleep the first time?

54 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

Still talking???

If Bazza at the EEN is to be believed and we are in advanced talks with both then that suggests we are at the business end of the deals and I's will be getting crossed and t's dotted.

And it's not often Barry is that direct with his information, it's usually far more padded. 

Edited by Gav M

I'm encouraged with what I've read this morning.  Souttar not too bad and Whelan and Damour looking like their deals will be finalsed.

Hope they are and hope they're good.

Bit discouraged by the weather forecast.  Where's global warming when you need it?

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Not going to complain too much is both not overkill? Can Loverman play further up?

David Sharp
8 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

I'm encouraged with what I've read this morning.  Souttar not too bad and Whelan and Damour looking like their deals will be finalsed.

Hope they are and hope they're good.

Bit discouraged by the weather forecast.  Where's global warming when you need it?

Here in Spain, c'mon the JT's let's get these signings over the line.

Hackney Hearts
1 hour ago, Taffin said:

:lol:

5 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Not going to complain too much is both not overkill? Can Loverman play further up?

If it means we don’t have to watch Bozanic and Clare then I am all for signing both

4 minutes ago, 19/05/2012 said:

If it means we don’t have to watch Bozanic and Clare then I am all for signing both

I think the idea is that they will improve the defence and attack, including Clare.

11 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Got Clare, Naismith and Walker who can play 8 or 10. 

1 hour ago, Taffin said:

😂 Fortunately the young lady i was in bed with was decent for a brummie , def not a Digbeth native...

16 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

He comin’ from England to satisfy his soul , you know say he wants a game.... 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
7 minutes ago, sadj said:

He comin’ from England to satisfy his soul , you know say he wants a game.... 

Csaba would sign him

3 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Always a descent into negativity from you Enzo. Predictable I suppose though.

Leveins Battalion
1 minute ago, Notts1874 said:

Nothing has been signed. Personal issues still the sticking point.

Prob similar to the Josh Magennis deal 👍😂

Alex Kintner
12 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

Cheers for the update buddy 👍🏻

Lord Beni of Gorgie
46 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

Seems like neither party is willing to compromise, which is not a fantastic start to the relationship

Tom Hardy’s Dug
1 hour ago, Notts1874 said:

Personal issues don’t change so you pull the deal. You’ve got to.

Enzo Chiefo
1 hour ago, Deevers said:

Always a descent into negativity from you Enzo. Predictable I suppose though.

Much easier to toe the party line eh Deevers. I don't rate Levein nor a lot of the players he needs for his system.  Hardly a secret.

• davemclaren locked this topic