Glenn Whelan signs one year deal with Hearts (title updated)

Roman1874

Tom Hardy’s Dug
Just now, Pasquale for King said:

Quite possibly, only he and the staff will know for sure. Tragic really because the season before he was immense, allowances made for those diagonals obviously. I’m not sure what can be done now though.

He becomes our new Hughes

Souttar and Halkett as our CBs excites me

Edited by Tom Hardy’s Dug

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BarneyBattles44

• Notts1874

• Victorian

• Morgan

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

He becomes our new Hughes

Souttar and Halkett as our CBs excites me

I don’t think he would settle for that, those two should be a good pairing though.

7 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Quite possibly, only he and the staff will know for sure. Tragic really because the season before he was immense, allowances made for those diagonals obviously. I’m not sure what can be done now though.

Came back to first team action far to quickly IMO.

It was pretty obvious he wasn't ready and I think its done his confidence a bit.

Yes, he's a highly experienced player but this was his first serious career injury and I think its wrecked his head a little. 

Just now, jambogemz said:

It was pretty obvious he wasn't ready and I think its done his confidence a bit.

Yes, he's a highly experienced player but this was his first serious career injury and I think its wrecked his head a little. 

It might be a bit like your first sentence but I’m sure I read the medical staff had never seen an injury like it. The muscle ripping off the bone at his age must take a toll and it can’t be a coincidence that someone who was so good prior to the injury, has looked shaky since then. 

Pasquale for King
17 minutes ago, jambogemz said:

How does he get past it though.

8 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

How does he get past it though.

I’d say rest. He looks *******! 

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, Jamhammer said:

I’d say rest. He looks *******! 

Would he take the time off though, he’s an extremely proud individual.

A don't think we should sign Wheelan too old and seems to be injury prone as posted earlier he could be the new Hughes it's a no from me.

StevenNaismith
8 minutes ago, skodef said:

A don't think we should sign Wheelan too old and seems to be injury prone as posted earlier he could be the new Hughes it's a no from me.

Hardly been injured his whole career.

On 07/08/2019 at 23:43, siegementality said:

In fairness I think we know what we are getting with Naismith, Walker and Halkett. Washington not so much. All four are vastly superior players to those you named. A bit credit needs to be given, and I am be no means a fan of Levein.

Why the feck did we no take a chance on Shankland it really pisses me off Levein can't sign a proven Scottish goalscorer and b4 folk say we done that with Reilly that's bullshit cos Shankland is 10 times the player than him.

Cruyff Turn
20 minutes ago, skodef said:

He’s never been injured in his puff, barely missed a game in 14 years. 🙄

Just now, Cruyff Turn said:

He’s never been injured in his puff, barely missed a game in 14 years. 🙄

Aye but he's nearly 36 we should be going for younger players that have better faster engines most players 35 or older are blowing out of their arse 

6 minutes ago, skodef said:

Aye but he's nearly 36 we should be going for younger players that have better faster engines most players 35 or older are blowing out of their arse 

Speaking to a work mate who’s a massive stoke fan and he said “I’d take him back at stoke right now” says he never had the legs/pace 5/6 years ago never mind today but he doesn’t need it, he reads the game so well that he can just sit at the base of the midfields and dictate play! I’d take his view over pretty much anyone on this forum.

I hope we can get this over the line soon 

1 hour ago, Pasquale for King said:

Would he take the time off though, he’s an extremely proud individual.

Needs to be told by his manager. It’s that simple.

He’s one of my all time favourite Hearts players and it really bothers me seeing him struggle like he is just now.

Its also hurting the team 

37 minutes ago, skodef said:

Hi Glenn 🤗

Weird, my opinion is he is a good player. Previous supporters think he is a good player, at a higher level. Everything says he would be a stand out player. Football isnt that simple though. Id welcome him. And probably boo him off at the first opportunity :P

Cruyff Turn
39 minutes ago, skodef said:

Glenn Whelan never had any pace to lose and is undoubtedly as fit as a fiddle given he’s never been injured and has barely missed a game in his pro career.

He’ll be top notch if we get him. We’re never going to get players of his reputation at their peak. He’ll stroll it up here.

I think signing guys like Whelan and Naismith regardless of age show how far we have came as a club over the last 5 years.

As we continue to grow I think we will see plenty more of them as well. Blended with our youth coming up from the academy we could be a force to be reckoned with in the future.

The Real Maroonblood
2 hours ago, skodef said:

That’s not true about being injury prone.

41 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Correct, it's complete guff, same as most of the rest of his posts on this topic.

i wish jj was my dad
4 hours ago, skodef said:

Why the feck did we no take a chance on Shankland it really pisses me off Levein can't sign a proven Scottish goalscorer and b4 folk say we done that with Reilly that's bullshit cos Shankland is 10 times the player than him.

Levein never signed Shankland. Robbie did. Levein didn't sign Reilly. Robbie did. Then neither did any other Premier manager. 

Not sure what your point is other than boo Levein.

If we get these two our options in midfield are pretty exciting

Finlay James
1 hour ago, Bauld said:

I think signing guys like Whelan and Naismith regardless of age show how far we have came as a club over the last 5 years.

As we continue to grow I think we will see plenty more of them as well. Blended with our youth coming up from the academy we could be a force to be reckoned with in the future.

A point that is missed by many

FarmerTweedy
7 hours ago, skodef said:

A don't think we should sign Wheelan too old and [bzPseems to be injury prone [/b]as posted earlier he could be the new Hughes it's a no from me.

Either you're posting on the wrong thread or you've googled the wrong Whelan!

7 hours ago, skodef said:

Injury prone? 🧐

Ron Burgundy
4 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Just wait til he signs, he'll trip on the stairs at Riccarton and be out for 6 months.

The Old Tolbooth
6 hours ago, campbell said:

Speaking to a work mate who’s a massive stoke fan and he said “I’d take him back at stoke right now” says he never had the legs/pace 5/6 years ago never mind today but he doesn’t need it, he reads the game so well that he can just sit at the base of the midfields and dictate play! I’d take his view over pretty much anyone on this forum.

I hope we can get this over the line soon 

That'll do for me, get him signed!! 

6 minutes ago, Barack said:

Staggering, isn't it.

:lol:

Extremely! I think GW has been injured for about 10 minutes across the last 18 years 🤣

where do all these zoomers come from, there's a large population of them on here, 150 odd posts of slavering pish, didn't even check his/her champ manager before declaring Whelan a crock.

a lotta posts are just trolling/tongue in cheak/fannying aboot but some you can just see that some folk believe the drivel they post even when facts shoot them down.

1 hour ago, FarmerTweedy said:

More likely the wrong forum :D

1 minute ago, Super T said:

So is this deal now dead then?

Thinking the same. I'd have thought it was one or the other.

MaskedMarauder

Sure I read in one of the papers that the Damour deal was dependant on whether we were getting Whelan. Hopefully it’s not now then. Any news? Really really want to see Whelan here 

Goldstone Wonder
Just now, JyTees said:

I see they refer to Damour as a defensive midfielder on the official website. Would love to see Whelan in as well but suspect it will be one of the other 

3 minutes ago, JyTees said:

That's what I'm thinking also. I was keen to see Whelan come into the club but heyho we'll see what the new lad can bring. 

Pasquale for King
8 hours ago, Jamhammer said:

Needs to be told by his manager. It’s that simple.

He’s one of my all time favourite Hearts players and it really bothers me seeing him struggle like he is just now.

Its also hurting the team 

I’m glad it was you that said that, it’s bad enough we’re off topic but to bring the manager into it 😱.

I know it sounds a bit far fetched and he might no go for it but if it is mental and not physical some sort of psychological help. They said he was at the front in the initial training drills of pre-season training.

Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, FarmerTweedy said:

Noel Whelan probably. 

jamboinglasgow
10 minutes ago, JyTees said:

Banderson is saying talks are ongoing. 

Still need another striker to compete with Uche IMO. I see Everton sogned a striker from Arsenal. Maybe there is something in the  Fraser Hornby chat earlier.

132goals1958
2 minutes ago, Super T said:

That's what I'm thinking also. I was keen to see Whelan come into the club but heyho we'll see what the new lad can bring. 

Got to remember Haring should be available soon and hopefully with no further long term injuries and the versatility of Halkett  we are reasonably well covered.

5 hours ago, RobNox said:

Correct, it's complete guff, same as most of the rest of his posts on this topic.

Aye and your an expert on every possible new signing .I bow to your superior wisdom and hope if Whelan signs he is the midfielder we are looking for to boss games.

Captain Sausage
1 minute ago, skodef said:

Aye and your an expert on every possible new signing .I bow to your superior wisdom and hope if Whelan signs he is the midfielder we are looking for to boss games.

Let it go mate. You’ve made a spectacular mess of this thread. 

Barry Anderson says talks ongoing despite Loic signing so that’s really positive. Hopefully we bring in Whelan too and I genuinely think at that point we have the third best team in the league. It’s all up to the management team and the players to go out and do something special. 

...a bit disco
13 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Banderson is saying talks are ongoing. 

Indeed.

CloustonHMFC

It’s definitely not a one or the other situation, the offers been made to Whelan and it’s now up to him if he takes it or not.

As for the injury prone chat, that’s just people looking to pick faults in the club when I’m reality, they don’t have clue. 

Marooned In Ireland

I've seen Whelan play a number of times. No pace (never had any), not noted to be great in the air (he's not even 6 ft) and he has been accused of fading out of games by many people who don't pay enough attention to the game.

In reality, he often seems anonymous in games because he's not flashy, does the dirty work quietly and passes the ball off quickly. He has great vision and is a good communicator on the field. He hasn't been in the premier league for the best part of a decade for nothing, and the same can be said on international level. Some may argue that the 2 managers who persevered with him were both anti football (Pulis and Trapattoni), however, he was still the linchpin of Stoke and Ireland for a decade, give or take.

I can only recall about 2 periods where he was out injured and unavailable for internationals in all his time togging out so the injury prone story doesn't hold much water either. 

I personally believe he has a year or two in him and would be a hugely beneficial signing for us, a strong voice and good football brain. McDonald and Cochrane to name but two would learn a lot from him and his wealth of experience. Plus, he'll not be bullied by the likes of Brown either. 

I hope we get this over the line.

44 minutes ago, 132goals1958 said:

Got to remember Haring should be available soon and hopefully with no further long term injuries and the versatility of Halkett  we are reasonably well covered.

Good point about Haring. Ran through a wall for us last season and as he's out at the moment if feels like everyone's forgot that he's still to come back, myself included!

The good old football cliche of he'll be like a new signing when he returns.

• davemclaren locked this topic