Glenn Whelan signs one year deal with Hearts (title updated)

Roman1874

At 35 I wouldn’t expect he’ll be doing 5 days training then playing anyway.

The sports scientist guys will have him doing some lighter work a couple of days just to keep him ticking over.

He can easily do that from home. 

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BarneyBattles44

• Notts1874

• Victorian

• Morgan

William H. Bonney

Here’s to another day of eagerness and anticipation but ultimately disappointment. 

heartandsoul
11 minutes ago, Dino Velvet said:

Here’s to another day of eagerness and anticipation but ultimately disappointment. 

This, will be surprised if anything comes of this. Dragging on too long now.

Phil D. Corners
2 minutes ago, heartandsoul said:

This, will be surprised if anything comes of this. Dragging on too long now.

I think it will all be quite till after transfer window shuts in England tomorrow at 5pm. 

Leveins Battalion
Just now, Phil D. Corners said:

I think it will all be quite till after transfer window shuts in England tomorrow at 5pm. 

Why?were after unattached players.They can sign whenever they want.

2 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Why?were after unattached players.They can sign whenever they want.

English clubs may lose players as the window closes and will be after the same free/unattached players we are. 

Edited by Dazo

gashauskis9
4 minutes ago, Phil D. Corners said:

Not really, as he’s a free agent he can join whoever whenever surely?

We have a midfield who seem barely capable of stringing forward passes together, their attacking transition in games is virtually non existent. I don't see how bringing in a first team starter who will miss most training sessions can really help address this. So many of our midfield issues need worked on at training and this means spending large amounts of time walking through game scenarios. It also obviously takes time to gel with teammates. If he can't commit to coming up here we should walk away now. 

Edited by Jodami

Phil D. Corners
3 minutes ago, Gashauskis9 said:

Not really, as he’s a free agent he can join whoever whenever surely?

As others have mentioned the “whoever’s” might be waiting on other player moves to happen or not happen. 

His agent had probably been speaking to several clubs. 

1 hour ago, The Treasurer said:

Looks like he's definitely signing or definitely not signing

I'm not so sure!!! :lol:

2 minutes ago, Sherbet said:

Whelan is obviously taking his time to decide

We don't have time. Move on 

Don't worry CL will have a plan B. Well maybe not.

Robbo-Jambo
4 minutes ago, Phil D. Corners said:

As others have mentioned the “whoever’s” might be waiting on other player moves to happen or not happen. 

His agent had probably been speaking to several clubs. 

No doubt at all that he has been sounded out by other clubs down south and he is hedging his bets. 

A_A wehatethehibs

Think folk need to adopt the “forget it till scarf on heid” approach with this one now. 

He is talking to other clubs so we should be talking to other players.

With only 3 guaranteed midweek fixtures between now and New year I'm not sure that it's really much of an issue?

Our normal weekly routine is rumoured to be something like 

Sat - Game

Sun - Light session, stretching etc

Mon - Off

Tues - Medium fitness session

Wed - Heavy fitness session

Thurs/Fri - Shape and tactics

No reason at all that an experienced pro that is known for being fit cannot be trusted to complete the Sunday to Wednesday work on his own and then join the team to work on shape and tactics for the following game.

rudi must stay
5 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

Don't worry CL will have a plan B. Well maybe not.

As CL said we have another month to find a player

Just now, rudi must stay said:

In the meantime we go with Clare and Irving. Can't wait to see that pairing against Celtic at Parkhead. Hopefully we have two decent signings in before then or has CL thrown the towel in on that game already?

The good news is that Naismith/Washington are both back although not fully fit yet.

The Treasurer
11 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Think folk need to adopt the “forget it till scarf on heid” approach with this one now. 

He is talking to other clubs so we should be talking to other players.

What makes you think we're not ?

Just now, rudi must stay said:

We've had months and months to get this right and a preferred starting eleven before the season started........smacks of no proper pre-planning. Another month to find a player and maybe another month to get them 100% fit....

The Internet
2 minutes ago, gedster said:

We've had months and months to get this right and a preferred starting eleven before the season started........smacks of no proper pre-planning. Another month to find a player and maybe another month to get them 100% fit....

And the month after that will be spent arguing about how they're not up to speed as they've not had a full pre season and will be great next year. 

:pleasing:

13 hours ago, Notts1874 said:

You should really visit the centre of Birmingham with an open mind next time.....maybe pop down to Digbeth or the Jewellery Quarter.

Digbeth is good for about 2 hours and there's only so many times one can play ghetto golf before the novelty wears off. Jewellery quarter is exactly as Icon describes... uninspiring.

All imo of course. I'll give you digbeth dining club for a decent and fun evening but I doubt street food is a high priority for a professional footballer. Birmingham isn't a patch on Edinburgh but folk are strange I guess and it can be hard to uproot a young family.

A_A wehatethehibs
2 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

What makes you think we're not ?

This “we’ve got a month before we need to sign someone” is absolute shite, hoping Levein is just trying to give the impression of playing it cool. By the end of the month we could be 12 points behind everyone and out of the league cup. Our need to sign someone is urgent - we need someone in this week or Ross County will be delighted at their luck to be facing such a weak Hearts midfield at Tynecastle. 

The Treasurer
2 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

This “we’ve got a month before we need to sign someone” is absolute shite, hoping Levein is just trying to give the impression of playing it cool. By the end of the month we could be 12 points behind everyone and out of the league cup. Our need to sign someone is urgent - we need someone in this week or Ross County will be delighted at their luck to be facing such a weak Hearts midfield at Tynecastle. 

Again I ask, what makes you think we're not speaking to (or at least looking at) other players. ?

Feel a wee bit for Eddie the eagle. He must have been very confident to post what he did regarding whelan but ultimately this situation has proven that no one is truly itk, and as such we should only consider someone signed when the scarf above head pics appear. 

maroonlegions
27 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

And the month after that will be spent arguing about how they're not up to speed as they've not had a full pre season and will be great next year. 

:pleasing:

And played out of position due to another injury   to a player who is also made of glass.

A_A wehatethehibs
Just now, The Treasurer said:

Again I ask, what makes you think we're not speaking to (or at least looking at) other players. ?

The fact that Levein is saying he is in “no rush” suggests that he may be genuinely comfortable with our options if we do not get anyone in. Im not comfortable at all with our options. But as I’ve said, I hope he is just trying to give the impression of playing it cool. I’m sure that’s what it is. 

The Treasurer
3 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

The fact that Levein is saying he is in “no rush” suggests that he may be genuinely comfortable with our options if we do not get anyone in. Im not comfortable at all with our options. But as I’ve said, I hope he is just trying to give the impression of playing it cool. I’m sure that’s what it is. 

I'd prefer we didn't "rush" into a signing just in time to get a player in for this weekend, I'd rather wait and get the right player.

A_A wehatethehibs
3 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

I'd prefer we didn't "rush" into a signing just in time to get a player in for this weekend, I'd rather wait and get the right player.

If you wait too long you’ll not get the right player, you’ll either get no player or it’ll be October before your team starts ticking. We are 1-2 months behind schedule to get a midfielder signed, fit, settled in and comfortable in our team system ready for the league season. 

Edited by A_A wehatethehibs

wheatfield to sheffield
15 minutes ago, Muppetboy said:

Feel a wee bit for Eddie the eagle. He must have been very confident to post what he did regarding whelan but ultimately this situation has proven that no one is truly itk, and as such we should only consider someone signed when the scarf above head pics appear. 

can we request an eagle above head pic?

Pasquale for King
39 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

If you wait too long you’ll not get the right player, you’ll either get no player or it’ll be October before your team starts ticking. We are 1-2 months behind schedule to get a midfielder signed, fit, settled in and comfortable in our team system ready for the league season. 

Last season he said it was best to get players in early so they were fit and knew how we were going to play, after two league cup games we hit top form until injuries kicked in and Naismith went down at Dundee. We can only hope Whelan signs and is fit enough to start right away and strengthen the midfield.

Coburg Hearts
2 hours ago, Djnoisy said:

He’s coming.

He’s not coming.

:sterb119:

😃  You have to laugh.

Castle rock

Hobo I'm working with claims Whelan going to Sunderland not heard anything myself probably pish

1 hour ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

We’ve only lost one midfielder from a squad that played last season and a lot of folk on here slated him and wasn’t to fussed he left.

larbert_jambo

Love how people now know how many days a week Whelan will be training and what the arrangements will be for midweek games etc.....all ifs and buts already and he's no even signed 😂

He either comes full time or GTF, we are only talking 9 or 10 months away from home. Even then he will get days off etc. 

alwaysthereinspirit

By the end of the month we COULD BE top of the league and in the QF of the league cup.

I'll play along with the football fan game of "Drama Queen"

SM Sheffield
8 hours ago, Inch Hearts said:

He isn’t coming. He will be Bullens first signing in England. 

No he won’t. Whelan might not sign but he is not going to Hillsborough 

Edited by SM Sheffield

2 hours ago, gedster said:

Damn it!

Your bang on!

Happens every year!!!

maroonlegions
13 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

Damn it!

Your bang on!

Happens every year!!!

This is were i am at, sadly nothing will change every season until there is a new infrastructure in place, one that gets their finger out that is. 

Edited by maroonlegions

52 minutes ago, Castle rock said:

Hobo I'm working with claims Whelan going to Sunderland not heard anything myself probably pish

It wouldn't surprise me if Jack Ross has guzumped us a few times after the way he apparently left. 

Edited by Sagan

Hackney Hearts
3 hours ago, Djnoisy said:

He’s coming.  on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays

He’s not coming.  on Sundays, Mondays, Tuesdays and most of Wednesdays

:sterb119:

You are aware when transfer window(s) open and close ?

You are aware we are not necessarily (unlikely to be) first choice for the Whelans of this world , or any player who is a step up ?

4 minutes ago, johnthomas said:

You are aware when transfer window(s) open and close ?

You are aware we are not necessarily (unlikely to be) first choice for the Whelans of this world , or any player who is a step up ?

Don’t think that’s necessarily the posters point.

Yes, by fate players become available as the window goes on and the timing could be good if you haven’t acquired who you want but it comes across that our attempts to address the midfield hasn’t been as diligent or pre-empting as we’d like. 

It does seem the management thought the current midfield quota would see us through, although admittedly I don’t think I fully believe that myself. 

Im not saying it’s been panic stations but it all seems a touch desperate at this stage. Do you think we’ve been waiting and waiting to see who’s available? If we have I think that’s partly sloppy not to have specific targets prior to this stage of the window.  

6 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

Don’t think that’s necessarily the posters point.

Yes, by fate players become available as the window goes on and the timing could be good if you haven’t acquired who you want but it comes across that our attempts to address the midfield hasn’t been as diligent or pre-empting as we’d like. 

It does seem the management thought the current midfield quota would see us through, although admittedly I don’t think I fully believe that myself. 

Im not saying it’s been panic stations but it all seems a touch desperate at this stage. Do you think we’ve been waiting and waiting to see who’s available? If we have I think that’s partly sloppy not to have specific targets prior to this stage of the window.  

If you look around the clubs (bigger than us) who are still buying/selling I think my point stands

1 hour ago, stevie1874 said:

We’ve only lost one midfielder from a squad that played last season and a lot of folk on here slated him and wasn’t to fussed he left.

True but even with Djoum it badly needed strengthening,  naively I thought the midfield would have been a priority  

Clerry Jambo
Just now, EIEIO said:

True but even with Djoum it badly needed strengthening,  naively I thought the midfield would have been a priority  

:spoton:

16 hours ago, Notts1874 said:

You should really visit the centre of Birmingham with an open mind next time.....maybe pop down to Digbeth or the Jewellery Quarter.

Digbeth is my favourite place ever.... woken up there twice after a night out in Aberdeen....Well worth the visit 👍🏻

If we want top quality, we either have to pay the price to get them in early, or we have to wait until they are within our pay range. I'd rather we wait and get that quality at a price we can afford rather than screwing ourselves financially or picking up lesser players just because they are available and within our means straight away.

We need quality, and the type of quality we want at the price we ate able to pay means we may have to wait a bit.

2 minutes ago, Gav M said:

If we want top quality, we either have to pay the price to get them in early, or we have to wait until they are within our pay range. I'd rather we wait and get that quality at a price we can afford rather than screwing ourselves financially or picking up lesser players just because they are available and within our means straight away.

We need quality, and the type of quality we want at the price we ate able to pay means we may have to wait a bit.

A reasonable argument but except for Naismith I can't think of any other examples of it working. Maybe Lafferty a couple of years ago?

• davemclaren locked this topic