Glenn Whelan signs one year deal with Hearts (title updated)

Roman1874

6 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Would anyone take Wayne Rooney?

He's signing for Derby in January and he'll be 34 - one year younger than Whelan.

Age is not in itself a problem: it's how he is capable of physically performing performing on the field that matters and from what I've read on here he seems to be able to cope pretty well.  There is more to it than that though and what sort of influence he has in the dressing-room is a factor as is the example he sets for youngsters.

As you say DC could get himself around the park and set an example as to how a good professional should conduct himself.

Rooney you say. He's up to his old tricks already 😉😉

IMG-20190806-WA0001.jpg

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BarneyBattles44

• Notts1874

• Victorian

• Morgan

So he's got to choose between the missus and the Hearts.  No brainer as they say.

Hope he plays at least some of the game on Saturday.

46 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Takes about 4-5 hours as long as there are no queues around the Manchester exit on the M6.

In all honesty though, I hope we have other irons in the fire because that’s a ****ing ridiculous demand to be coming out with. :rofl:

Is his wife wearing a tag on her ankle or something. Jesus Christ... I’ve never known anyone so desperate to stay in such an underwhelming place. 🙄

4hr train v 2hr drive

take it you don’t have kids that are settled in school that you wouldn’t want to move for the sake of a one year contract then?

We don't know the specifics of his, her, his & her wish to keep the family home settled down there.    School,  job,   family,   friends,   whatever.     Not our business really.     It would be easy to jump to conclusions about the missus being a stumbling block and they might be unfounded.     Plus... he (or she) might read this.    ;)

9 minutes ago, Ribble said:

4hr train v 2hr drive

take it you don’t have kids that are settled in school that you wouldn’t want to move for the sake of a one year contract then?

3 minutes ago, Victorian said:

We don't know the specifics of his, her, his & her wish to keep the family home settled down there.    School,  job,   family,   friends,   whatever.     Not our business really.     It would be easy to jump to conclusions about the missus being a stumbling block and they might be unfounded.     Plus... he (or she) might read this.    ;)

Yes yes fair enough. I concede.

Looks to me like if Whelan gets nothing nearer home by Thursday when the English window shuts he will probably sign, if he does then good luck to him. Hope we get him but if we are just his backup plan then I won't be too fussed if it doesn't happen.

1 hour ago, PapaShango said:

Just what I’ve heard but big difference commuting from Ayrshire to Edinburgh than Birmingham to Edinburgh. 

Quicker from Birmingham. No flights from Ayrshire. 

Cruyff Turn
33 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

Nah it was his wife that had reservations. Not sure he wants much longer than a year. As I've just said to Mothy the deal was dead a week ago and then somebody had a change of mind and he was obviously up here at the weekend.

Fair enough Notts. Chances 50/50? And I take it we have others close? 

1 minute ago, CostaJambo said:

Looks to me like if Whelan gets nothing nearer home by Thursday when the English window shuts he will probably sign, if he does then good luck to him. Hope we get him but if we are just his backup plan then I won't be too fussed if it doesn't happen.

Thursday means absolutely nothing if you are a free agent

1 hour ago, kimosavi said:

Because its been about 3 weeks since Djoum left and we still have Zero replacements 

A player we knew could leave for 6 months prior and the season has started already and we've still nothing in place

And How do you know we have had 10 candidate's? Or are You Guessing again 

You mentioned 10 candidates not me. You tend to make things up and state them as fact to suit your agenda. Ideally it would be great to get all our business done before kick off, but as I said we have a limited budget so in my opinion we’re trying to bring in quality to supplement our younger players which is turning out to be trickier than most on here think. It would be easy to pick up a couple of midfielders within our budget but are they going to be better than what we have? I hope for Levein sake whoever we sign is worth the wait. 

2 minutes ago, bazman said:

Fair enough, there may still be a few English clubs looking after then but most clubs will have a complete squad by then.

Fozzyonthefence
11 minutes ago, Ribble said:

4hr train v 2hr drive

I suppose it is a bit different when you’re 35, already made a good living and only getting offered a one year contract.  Never understand the ones where it’s a younger player getting a long contract and the Mrs stays behind.  Maybe some are just happy with the millionaire lifestyle but seems pretty shit, splitting the family up when you know what you’re marrying into.

Do not stress too much.    There's no way on earth Levein is going to allow this to drag on.    He'll probably get a decision or pull the plug by Thursday.

4 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Fair enough Notts. Chances 50/50? And I take it we have others close? 

I honestly don't know on either question..

I will add that the journalist who is probably best connected to Levein was being bombarded by people on twitter on Friday. He replied he is aware of the players we have been connected to and those that we are taking to and there is no point speculating because they are all good players.....this is regarding the midfielder btw.

Cruyff Turn
Just now, Notts1874 said:

I honestly don't know on either question..

I will add that the journalist who is probably best connected to Levein was being bombarded by people on twitter on Friday. He replied he is aware of the players we have been connected to and those that we are taking to and there is no point speculating because they are all good players.....this is regarding the midfielder btw.

Sound chief. Here’s hoping. 

12 minutes ago, bazman said:

It does. There will be lots of movement between now and 5pm on Thursday so who knows what might open up for him down south. The deadline on Thursday will drive lots of player movement. 

Whelan has said he wants to continue playing until the Euros next summer. How does he do that best and still get picked for the team? Championship....probably wouldn't play enough. League One....not high enough a level. Hearts....Could work?

Just thinking out loud.

Byyy The Light
1 hour ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Aye, fair enough. Just seems a bit like it’s not really a good fit when we are getting demands like that. Cheeky as **** imo, but I’ll obviously trust Levein, he doesn’t need someone like me to teach him how to suck eggs. 👍

I don’t actually think it’s that unreasonable. A lot of managers give senior pros a bit more leeway to manage their bodies and train less anyway. Players often go in the day after a game for a loosening session and then maybe get a day off before a light session on a Tuesday and back at it Wed.

If he went back down on a sat night/Sunday morning and came back Wed it wouldn’t make much difference.

Of course the midweek games would

muck it up a bit but I wouldn’t rule it out as massively unrealistic. 

25 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

Whelan has said he wants to continue playing until the Euros next summer. How does he do that best and still get picked for the team? Championship....probably wouldn't play enough. League One....not high enough a level. Hearts....Could work?

Just thinking out loud.

Sure I read he had sounded out Mick McCarthy about  joining us and still being in contention for the Euros and McCarthy had said he was fine with that?

4 minutes ago, CostaJambo said:

Sure I read he had sounded out Mick McCarthy about  joining us and still being in contention for the Euros and McCarthy had said he was fine with that?

I think I might have read that also. Obviously if he plays like a drain it doesn't matter who he signs for.

Dagger Is Back

Levein happy to give Hughes a lot of latitude. Don’t see a.huge issue accommodating Whelan.

3 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

I think I might have read that also. Obviously if he plays like a drain it doesn't matter who he signs for.

Glad it wasn't just me then. The more I read the transfer threads these days the more I start doubting fiction from reality!

Tom Hardy’s Dug
2 hours ago, PapaShango said:

Just what I’ve heard but big difference commuting from Ayrshire to Edinburgh than Birmingham to Edinburgh. 

Wouldn’t be a huge amount of difference if he is anywhere near one of the Midlands airports.

And for those bemoaning nor replacing Djoum earlier being a shambles have somewhat ironically forgotten that Djoum arrived with us in September I think.

afanderson33

Comes up on a Wednesday evening and goes home after a Saturday game. Don’t really see an issue with that. 

11 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

The point is we are aiming high for our replacement, guys of Whelan's/Morrisons's ilk are out of our reach at the start of the window.

Which is a good thing but could leave us in a much worse position if we don’t get our targets. Hopefully Whelan deal gets over the line.

6 minutes ago, afanderson33 said:

Comes up on a Wednesday evening and goes home after a Saturday game. Don’t really see an issue with that. 

Yes that would be great if only these pesky midweek games didn't get in the way

If you commit to a club you should do it full time and if you do not you risk fitness issues

45 minutes ago, Dagger Is Back said:

Levein happy to give Hughes a lot of latitude. Don’t see a.huge issue accommodating Whelan.

Sitting in the stand gave him all the time he needed whilst he counted his money for nothing and his drinks were free

afanderson33
2 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

Yes that would be great if only these pesky midweek games didn't get in the way

If you commit to a club you should do it full time and if you do not you risk fitness issues

Naismith isn’t with us full time 

Just now, afanderson33 said:

Naismith isn’t with us full time 

Well some would know and some would not..you do not

afanderson33
2 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

Well some would know and some would not..you do not

Levein has literally said Naismith does training at home during part of the week

Captain America

My understanding was Naismith done his day after games recovery sessions at home but trained rest of week with squad.

Slightly different from not being with squad for 1/2 a week.

10 minutes ago, afanderson33 said:

Levein has literally said Naismith does training at home during part of the week

If you read the post I replied to (and I presume you read your own posts) it said he could come up on  Wednesday evening and go home after a Saturday match which is hardly what Naismith does ( I know for a fact he is there the vast majority of the training days)

I am just staggered you think Wed evening to Saturday evening is enough of a commitment...Just unbelievable

This is not a world beater we are talking about he's just a decent midfielder with a decent past playing history who at 35 years of age is looking for employment. If he wants it he commits if not don't come to us

Edited by CJGJ

4 hours ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

How signing a 35 yr old midfielder fits, in any way, with a progressive plan for this club is beyond me. We had all 2019 to see the requirement no matter who stayed or otherwise. Can only presume its one year to buy us time. That may not be  attractive to Whelan at his age, and he might be wanting 2 yrs.

FFS. Do we not have quite a few good young lads coming through? So a stop gap to help them isn't too daft is it? Like Sandy Jardine, or Doddy or Jimmy Bone or Fyssas, etc etc

Cruyff Turn

Look at Glenn Whelans stats, he’s barely missed a game throughout his career. He’s  never even had an injury in his career.  Which says to me he’s fit as a fiddle, looks after himself and is a consummate professional. More than good enough for a season.

Aaron Hughes was done at the top level by the time he was 34 and he sort of hobbled on for another 5 years just so he could play for Northern Ireland. 

Not all players that are passed the age of 34 are on their last legs. 

Inch Hearts
4 hours ago, Away up in Gorgie said:

I mean Craig is only at training part time too so......

True. 

Edited by Inch Hearts

Inch Hearts
1 hour ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Wouldn’t be a huge amount of difference if he is anywhere near one of the Midlands airports.

And for those bemoaning nor replacing Djoum earlier being a shambles have somewhat ironically forgotten that Djoum arrived with us in September I think.

Djoum was leaving since January when he knocked back the first deal before taking the piss.  The season has now begun and the midfield hasn’t been strengthened at all. 

He’s definitely coming. It doesn’t matter what his training routine is. He’s played at a level above us consistently for years and the next 12 months he will contribute more than anyone else in midfield. 

End of.  

Offer and other conjecture you like but this is another amazing coup.  

Levein oot. 

Inch Hearts
1 hour ago, Sid said:

He’s definitely coming. It doesn’t matter what his training routine is. He’s played at a level above us consistently for years and the next 12 months he will contribute more than anyone else in midfield. 

End of.  

Offer and other conjecture you like but this is another amazing coup.  

Levein oot. 

He isn’t coming. He will be Bullens first signing in England. 

2 hours ago, Sid said:

He’s definitely coming.

1 hour ago, Inch Hearts said:

He isn’t coming.

😆

6 hours ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Look at Glenn Whelans stats, he’s barely missed a game throughout his career. He’s  never even had an injury in his career.  Which says to me he’s fit as a fiddle, looks after himself and is a consummate professional. More than good enough for a season.

Aaron Hughes was done at the top level by the time he was 34 and he sort of hobbled on for another 5 years just so he could play for Northern Ireland. 

Not all players that are passed the age of 34 are on their

last legs. 

That's good to know. Sort of wish you hadn't posted it out loud, though, what with our luck with injuries. :(

The Internet
2 hours ago, Whatever said:

😆

One of them is guaranteed to be right and that person will have as many correct ITK predictions as any of the known ITKs on here. 

johnking123
5 minutes ago, Heartsofgold said:

Well this thread has descended into the usual train wreck. 

They all are! It's the worst iv seen for a while. 

Tom Hardy’s Dug
8 hours ago, afanderson33 said:

As has Naismith

10 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

If the speculation is true that he wants to do half a week here and half week at home. I would personally pull the plug.

I can understand why he may want to do that (family reasons etc) but it would seem fraught with potential pit falls. If he can’t commit to us fair enough, but I want someone committing to the club and the cause.

Not sure that happens if you only commit half your time. Plus practicalities about treatments, monitoring physical performances, working on shape etc. Not saying it’s impossible It work it’s just doesn’t seem good idea to me.

Its just doesn’t seem practical as we will be playing multiple games in weeks. So working on tactics, shape, formations will happen in a very short timescale for a lot of games 

Someone else said it does seem a good fit. I agree with that. I can’t believe there are not better options out there. 

If Whelan signed for us and it didn’t go well (despite many claims he’s far from nailed on to be a success) for whatever reason. Levein and the player will be absolutely castigated for it. Nothing new some might argue. 

I really hope that we are actively pursuing alternates to glen Whelan.

So you would bin Naismith?

The Treasurer
34 minutes ago, Natural Orders said:

What’s the latest?

Looks like he's definitely signing or definitely not signing

This arrangement has been done before. I remember Kevin Kyle said in an interview he was in talks to sign for Aberdeen probably around the time he signed for us and they would just want him there for a few days a week. Don’t see a problem with it if this is going to be the deal breaker 

Speculating but if this story about part time attendance is true then the sticking point may be over the midweek games.    It's all very well allowing a player to stay away but it has to be flexible.    The principle seems viable but only as long as there is flexibility built in.

• davemclaren locked this topic