Glenn Whelan signs one year deal with Hearts (title updated)

Roman1874

Lord Beni of Gorgie
5 minutes ago, Inch Hearts said:

Hope so.  Time will tell mate. 

Speed is not his asset but the boy puts in the work

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BarneyBattles44

• Notts1874

• Victorian

• Morgan

Jamboscanbevicius
4 minutes ago, MattyK82 said:

CL let’s Naisy train at home sometimes doesn’t he, knowing he’s a model pro. Maybe it’s not that far fetched, if true..?

According to who? I'm calling BS on this unless someone has an impeccable source. I live in the same town as Naismith and it's an easy run through!

3 minutes ago, PapaShango said:

Just what I’ve heard but big difference commuting from Ayrshire to Edinburgh than Birmingham to Edinburgh. 

Difference is only a couple of hours 

9 minutes ago, PapaShango said:

Doesn’t want to train in Edinburgh full time and wants to spend half the week in Birmingham! Don’t think we are going to agree to that tbh

Like we did with Naismith you mean?

It’s a balance as he comes with pedigree so sometimes have to accept these demands...we could sign someone who trains full time but is half the player...we are not in the driving seat in terms of bargaining 

5 minutes ago, Jamboscanbevicius said:

According to who? I'm calling BS on this unless someone has an impeccable source. I live in the same town as Naismith and it's an easy run through!

I’m fairly certain that CL has said so himself. 

5 minutes ago, PapaShango said:

Just what I’ve heard but big difference commuting from Ayrshire to Edinburgh than Birmingham to Edinburgh. 

Its not really i used to commute down to Brighton from Edinburgh for 4 days travel back up after and was trusted to look after myself and I wasn’t a 35 year old pro at that point nor was travel so easy.

Im wondering if the cost of commute might be a sticking point though. Can’t blame him not wanting to live here full time if his family is down there though

Unknown user
1 hour ago, andrew said:

Aberdeen have signed loads of donkeys over the last few seasons.

They also let Shankland go, for nothing :o

4 minutes ago, sadj said:

Its not really i used to commute down to Brighton from Edinburgh for 4 days travel back up after and was trusted to look after myself and I wasn’t a 35 year old pro at that point nor was travel so easy.

Im wondering if the cost of commute might be a sticking point though. Can’t blame him not wanting to live here full time if his family is down there though

Didn't you say the family might be the sticking point?

2 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

Didn't you say the family might be the sticking point?

That is indeed the info that was given to me by smoke signals out here in the countryside

3 minutes ago, Barack said:

People commute daily from London to Edinburgh & vice-versa.

Always find it strange, that people seem to think distances between British town's & cities are measured in walking time. Not modern transport.

That being said, I'd be surprised if Hearts agreed to it. Don't think he wants to uproot his family. And why should he. 

Spot on pres...Not like Brum to Edinburgh is a hard commute...

3 minutes ago, Barack said:

Always find it strange, that people seem to think distances between British town's & cities are measured in walking time. Not modern transport.

That being said, I'd be surprised if Hearts agreed to it. Don't think he wants to uproot his family. And why should he. 

Slightly off topic but Oren Kearney was commuting between Scotland and Ireland on a daily basis with st mirren contributing towards this.    

Wasn't the chat that Whelan had agreed a deal, which then collapsed for family reasons, before being reignited? Perhaps Whelan was convinced back to the table because Hearts are willing to come to some sort of compromise around training.

4 minutes ago, Barack said:

Birmingham Grand Central. Cheeky 5 guys burger. Couple of beers on the train. Training the next day. Sorted

17 minutes ago, Jamboscanbevicius said:

Both Levein and Naismith have mentioned in the past that Naismith has a gym in his house and often does sessions in his house in stead of with the team. 

Just now, DC_92 said:

Wasn't the chat that Whelan had agreed a deal, which then collapsed for family reasons, before being reignited? Perhaps Whelan was convinced back to the table because Hearts are willing to come to some sort of compromise around training.

It was.

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, soonbe110 said:

No he hasn’t. He only returned to training after op in mid July. He didn’t do Gullane or any of the heavy stuff. His first game time was last Tuesday for 65 mins in a friendly. 

He was with us on the first day of training, he didn’t do Gullane but has built up his fitness slowly so as I said we knew how fit he was. 

No matter how it’s spun if Whelan signs he will not be 100% fit for a few weeks, not that it precludes him from playing.

58 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

He'll end up another Aron Hughes...waste of time and space.

The same Arron Hughes Souttar has credited with his development these last few seasons?

Whelan could bring so much to the table for Irving, Smith, Cochrane etc. development.

48 minutes ago, Big Slim Stylee said:

There’s absolutely no way you can know that. All we know at the moment is that he has pedigree.

Meanwhile you bash on spraffing your endless shite.

My dog has pedigree & a good one.

16 minutes ago, Ribble said:

Difference is only a couple of hours 

Takes about 4-5 hours as long as there are no queues around the Manchester exit on the M6.

In all honesty though, I hope we have other irons in the fire because that’s a ****ing ridiculous demand to be coming out with. :rofl:

Is his wife wearing a tag on her ankle or something. Jesus Christ... I’ve never known anyone so desperate to stay in such an underwhelming place. 🙄

Pasquale for King
34 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Hughes had a decent career but was genuinely one of the worst players I've seen in a Hearts Jersey,absoloutly finished.His performances at Easter Road and at Hamilton were beyond pish.

Agreed. He

was always fit for NI though.

6 minutes ago, Barack said:

Has he got a pilot's license? Do the old Michael Owen trick...🤔

Can't have a couple of pints if he's flying.

3 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

He was with us on the first day of training, he didn’t do Gullane but has built up his fitness slowly so as I said we knew how fit he was. 

No matter how it’s spun if Whelan signs he will not be 100% fit for a few weeks, not that it precludes him from playing.

Was with us but wasn’t training. 

No way you can know what Whelan has been doing over last two months I suspect. Just conjecture on your part. Given he was on active RoI duty in the middle of June I suspect he won’t be far away. Not stupid enough not to have been keeping himself in shape. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
35 minutes ago, PapaShango said:

Doesn’t want to train in Edinburgh full time and wants to spend half the week in Birmingham! Don’t think we are going to agree to that tbh

Short term to Christmas under those conditions. Haring recovered and move on.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
2 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

Can't have a couple of pints if he's flying.

Hmmmm........what about Charles?

7 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Takes about 4-5 hours as long as there are no queues around the Manchester exit on the M6.

In all honesty though, I hope we have other irons in the fire because that’s a ****ing ridiculous demand to be coming out with. :rofl:

Is his wife wearing a tag on her ankle or something. Jesus Christ... I’ve never known anyone so desperate to stay in such an underwhelming place. 🙄

You should really visit the centre of Birmingham with an open mind next time.....maybe pop down to Digbeth or the Jewellery Quarter.

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, andrew said:

Aberdeen have signed loads of donkeys over the last few seasons.

Still finished above us 7 seasons in a row. They seem better than us at finding strikers, LBs and GKs. Bigger budget helps obviously. 

9 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Maybe they have young kids in school? 

Just now, Notts1874 said:

You should really visit the centre of Birmingham with an open mind next time.....maybe pop down to Digbeth or the Jewellery Quarter.

I’ve been to Birmingham literally dozens of times for days and weeks on end. I’ve been pretty much everywhere down there and the surrounding areas. 

Away up in Gorgie
37 minutes ago, Inch Hearts said:

Csnt see Craig agreeing to that tbh.

I mean Craig is only at training part time too so......

Jamboscanbevicius
15 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

Both Levein and Naismith have mentioned in the past that Naismith has a gym in his house and often does sessions in his house in stead of with the team. 

Would love to know the detail of this. Would be amazed if it was on a regular basis. Certainly ok during rehab, but would surely p off other squad members if it was happening all the time!

2 minutes ago, Cygnet said:

Maybe they have young kids in school? 

Maybe. Doesn’t seem like it’s going to work then. I’d no be up for that, if he isn’t going to train full time with the team. 

3 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

I’ve been to Birmingham literally dozens of times for days and weeks on end. I’ve been pretty much everywhere down there and the surrounding areas. 

Some lovely parts of town and lovely surrounding countryside I'm sure you will agree.

1 minute ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Maybe. Doesn’t seem like it’s going to work then. I’d no be up for that, if he isn’t going to train full time with the team. 

2 kids according to Wiki.  Can understand the wife not wanting to move to he fair, maybe we’ll come to some arrangement where he spends 4 days per week up here or so. 

Just now, Notts1874 said:

Some lovely parts of town and lovely surrounding countryside I'm sure you will agree.

Yes, there are. I also have family in the more rural parts of Staffordshire for example.if it’s countryside he’s after though, it’s not exactly in short supply near Riccarton, is it?

If it’s the kids in school like someone else suggested then fair enough. Think we need to move on though, if that’s the case.

Cruyff Turn
21 minutes ago, DC_92 said:

I thought it might have been how many years were offered. People forget these guys have homes and families, especially later on in their careers when they are settled. So perhaps one year was maybe a bit too short to uproot his family and maybe 2 or 3 years he might be happier to sign on.

1 minute ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Yes, there are. I also have family in the more rural parts of Staffordshire for example.if it’s countryside he’s after though, it’s not exactly in short supply near Riccarton, is it?

If it’s the kids in school like someone else suggested then fair enough. Think we need to move on though, if that’s the case.

We have done this before I'm only pulling your leg man. Well this time last week the deal was dead wasn't it😉. It's not dead now so we must be trying to work something out.

1 minute ago, Cruyff Turn said:

I thought it might have been how many years were offered. People forget these guys have homes and families, especially later on in their careers when they are settled. So perhaps one year was maybe a bit too short to uproot his family and maybe 2 or 3 years he might be happier to sign on.

Nah it was his wife that had reservations. Not sure he wants much longer than a year. As I've just said to Mothy the deal was dead a week ago and then somebody had a change of mind and he was obviously up here at the weekend.

4 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

We have done this before I'm only pulling your leg man. Well this time last week the deal was dead wasn't it😉. It's not dead now so we must be trying to work something out.

Anyone else in the pipeline Notts?

3 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

Aye, fair enough. Just seems a bit like it’s not really a good fit when we are getting demands like that. Cheeky as **** imo, but I’ll obviously trust Levein, he doesn’t need someone like me to teach him how to suck eggs. 👍

51 minutes ago, PapaShango said:

That’s a fair point.  I’ve heard that too..What surprises me is why anyone wouldn’t want to move to Edinburgh! 

2 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Aye, fair enough. Just seems a bit like it’s not really a good fit when we are getting demands like that. Cheeky as **** imo, but I’ll obviously trust Levein, he doesn’t need someone like me to teach him how to suck eggs. 👍

I have know idea if they are the demands but it does fit into what I was told. We shall see.

FarmerTweedy
11 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Yeah. Maybe find out what he thinks of signing Lafferty soon. 

I doubt we'll be in talks with Lafferty but if we are, I'm sure Berra will talk positively about him if asked, regardless of what he actually thinks. 

55 minutes ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

We had clowns on here telling us Don Cowie's legs had gone when he was signed but he was still our fittest player at 35. I'd wait and see before I write him off. 

Would anyone take Wayne Rooney?

He's signing for Derby in January and he'll be 34 - one year younger than Whelan.

Age is not in itself a problem: it's how he is capable of physically performing performing on the field that matters and from what I've read on here he seems to be able to cope pretty well.  There is more to it than that though and what sort of influence he has in the dressing-room is a factor as is the example he sets for youngsters.

As you say DC could get himself around the park and set an example as to how a good professional should conduct himself.

1 minute ago, Notts1874 said:

I have know idea if they are the demands but it does fit into what I was told. We shall see.

Yep, fair enough, mate. I’ll say no more, and just let the folk who know what they are doing get on with it. 👍

Fozzyonthefence
15 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Being prepared to move around the country goes with the territory of being a professional footballer.  Maybe I’m a bit harsh but it always seems a bit pointless to marry one if you’re not that way inclined.

An exception can be made in this instance.    There are a few reasons to believe that it is viable to allow him to train part time up here.

1.    He's said to be fit and been an enthusiastic trainer.

2.    He's near to the end of his playing career and good pros tend to highly value whatever playing time they have left.     The 'long time retired' maxim.

3.    He would be moving to play games,   not to be a wage thief.    He's made his money as a player.

It seems a pretty safe call to accept such a condition in the circumstances.

• davemclaren locked this topic