Glenn Whelan signs one year deal with Hearts (title updated)

Roman1874

Leveins Battalion
11 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Yes, I for one will be distraught if next summer we sign players of the quality of Halkett, Naismith, Washington, Walker and possibly Whelan. Shambles!

Yep its clear to see the difference they have made👍

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BarneyBattles44

• Notts1874

• Victorian

• Morgan

13 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

If you do that your rule out the top 30-40% of potential signings because very few  good players will commit their futures in January. What needs to happen to make the whole thing fairer is that all transfer windows need to clear set at the same time and before any of the seasons start. If our, and league 1 and 2 in England, window closed this Thursday as well then most transfer activity would already be done. As it is we have nearly another four weeks trawling around those that didn’t get deals with epl and Championship  clubs. 

Really fair comment on windows closing at different times, unfair all round. As we become more financially secure I would hope we could use our advantage over the non old firm clubs to get more deals done pre contract. It might mean losing out on the occasional gem late window but it makes a big difference getting players settled in as soon as everyone comes back from holiday. 

20 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Yes, I for one will be distraught if next summer we sign players of the quality of Halkett, Naismith, Washington, Walker and possibly Whelan. Shambles!

I more or less agree but the lack of a decent midfielder showed in the League cup games and on Sunday. I'm glad we didn't qualify for Europe with our lack of quality in midfield as it could well have been another Maltese fiasco. Fingers crossed Whelan signs asap particularly as we have a difficult tie at Motherwell coming up fast.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Here's what I'm hoping. Better quality you have to wait until the English window is out of the way as an option. 

If so absolutely correct to be patient and the planning is spot on.

If we get quality 

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, EIEIO said:

I more or less agree but the lack of a decent midfielder showed in the League cup games and on Sunday. I'm glad we didn't qualify for Europe with our lack of quality in midfield as it could well have been another Maltese fiasco. Fingers crossed Whelan signs asap particularly as we have a difficult tie at Motherwell coming up fast.

We don’t know how fit he is though.

Leveins Battalion
3 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Here's what I'm hoping. Better quality you have to wait until the English window is out of the way as an option. 

If so absolutely correct to be patient and the planning is spot on.

If we get quality 

Did Aberdeen wait even though McKinnes had a rebuilding job?

2 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

We don’t know how fit he is though.

Didn't know how fit Naismith was until Sunday and he was returning from injury. Whelan played most games last season at a decent level so unless he's been in Thailand with big Dave I would give him some game time on Saturday.

Can't see this happening now unfortunately. 

Probably got an offer or two down South which is understandable. 

Hopefully we are working on something else . 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
8 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

They had Europe,  God knows what he has paid for those he has brought in. 

Patience. If by 2 September and the window is closed and we still have mediocrity then complain. 

Personally delighted we are showing discipline and responsibility with cash 

Pasquale for King
5 minutes ago, EIEIO said:

Didn't know how fit Naismith was until Sunday and he was returning from injury. Whelan played most games last season at a decent level so unless he's been in Thailand with big Dave I would give him some game time on Saturday.

Naismith has trained with us all summer so we knew how fit he was. Whelan hasn’t played for two months, even if he’s kept himself ticking over he won’t be match fit unfortunately.

6 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Naismith has trained with us all summer so we knew how fit he was. Whelan hasn’t played for two months, even if he’s kept himself ticking over he won’t be match fit unfortunately.

No he hasn’t. He only returned to training after op in mid July. He didn’t do Gullane or any of the heavy stuff. His first game time was last Tuesday for 65 mins in a friendly. 

1 hour ago, Jodami said:

The comments on a lack of planning are difficult to argue with. The cleanest way to build a squad is lining up pre contracts from the January onwards, we should have made a decision on Djoum by the spring time at the latest. 

The Djoum thing boils ma pish!!!

He should have been offered the contract with a deadline date and if hes not signed it by then it gets withdrawn. 

Hope weve learned a lesson here. Commit by that date or GTF! We have a club to run and plans to make & we cant afford to wait on 1 individual. 

1 minute ago, Pans Jambo said:

The Djoum thing boils ma pish!!!

He should have been offered the contract with a deadline date and if hes not signed it by then it gets withdrawn. 

Hope weve learned a lesson here. Commit by that date or GTF! We have a club to run and plans to make & we cant afford to wait on 1 individual. 

We had months to plan a replacement for Djoum. A list off 10 candidates whom we could move onto as soon as Djoum finished mucking us around. No Craig Levein though. Absolute shambles.  

Hectormasson
2 hours ago, Gordon Ramsay said:

Had all summer to sort this and we're scraping about the barrel for a 35 year old. 

Starting the season with a kid and a guy who isn't even a centre mid away at Aberdeen. Woeful stuff all round. 

Well said.

4 minutes ago, kimosavi said:

We had months to plan a replacement for Djoum. A list off 10 candidates whom we could move onto as soon as Djoum finished mucking us around. No Craig Levein though. Absolute shambles.  

And how would you know we haven’t had a list of 10 candidates or are you guessing again.

Leveins Battalion
2 minutes ago, stevie1874 said:

And how would you know we haven’t had a list of 10 candidates or are you guessing again.

Because the seasons started and we have no midfield??😂😂🙈

31 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Aberdeen have signed loads of donkeys over the last few seasons.

Just now, Leveins Battalion said:

We have possibly approached midfielders ( on the list) 😁 but as we have a wage limit we’re finding it hard. As someone else said if we bought 5 random midfielders some folk would combust because they’re not world class. Also we’re only 1 midfielder down from last season. 

i wish jj was my dad
1 hour ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Listening to Ann's recent interviews my guess is she has finally cottened on that Craig Levein talks some amount of shite,sounding like there will be changes in the football department even if were stuck with Craig in the meantime.

The planning for this season is a shambles,no other word for it.We have endured a pathetic start to the season with some embarrassing results already in the cup,and weve lost our 1st league game and still no midfielders signed.

Thankfully this will be the last summer with Craig in charge at Heart of Midlothian.

So we sign Walker, Naismith, Washington and Halkett and and are lining up a current Irish international but that's a shambles. We are in the next round of the LC but that's a shambles. If you can point out where Ann says Craig talks shite I might not describe your post as a shambles.

pettigrewsstylist

How signing a 35 yr old midfielder fits, in any way, with a progressive plan for this club is beyond me. We had all 2019 to see the requirement no matter who stayed or otherwise. Can only presume its one year to buy us time. That may not be  attractive to Whelan at his age, and he might be wanting 2 yrs.

13 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

We know we have spoken to Bryson, Whelan, Morrison, Damour and the unknown we are currently in talks with. I suspect we have spoken to others as well. It’s all about quality rather than quantity now 

2 minutes ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

How signing a 35 yr old midfielder fits, in any way, with a progressive plan for this club is beyond me. We had all 2019 to see the requirement no matter who stayed or otherwise. Can only presume its one year to buy us time. That may not be  attractive to Whelan at his age, and he might be wanting 2 yrs.

I’m sure he knows who/what he wants in midfield but can he get any of them within our budget?

Leveins Battalion
2 minutes ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

He'll end up another Aron Hughes...waste of time and space.

2 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

No he won’t we need someone like him in our team a bit grit in the middle of the pitch 

25 minutes ago, stevie1874 said:

Because its been about 3 weeks since Djoum left and we still have Zero replacements 

A player we knew could leave for 6 months prior and the season has started already and we've still nothing in place

And How do you know we have had 10 candidate's? Or are You Guessing again 

Leveins Battalion
5 minutes ago, NB GIN said:

No he won’t we need someone like him in our team a bit grit in the middle of the pitch 

Correct but our scouts cant find one so we are scampering around old pro's who want a last gig,thankfully we wont have to endure too much more of the 'Levein regime'🙏

Dorrans was also rumoured to be a candidate but he picked up another injury recently so could have ruled him out

Big Slim Stylee
10 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

There’s absolutely no way you can know that. All we know at the moment is that he has pedigree.

Meanwhile you bash on spraffing your endless shite.

12 minutes ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

He is seemingly happy with wages and the one year deal offered, sticking point is that his family won’t move up so discussions are continuing around how much time he spends training on his own at home v training with the squad

i wish jj was my dad
12 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

You are at it. No idea how you haven't been launched.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Hughes came back from the Indian League Whelan has been playing at a high level. 

The comparison is barely credible 

20 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

:cornette:

Inch Hearts
17 minutes ago, NB GIN said:

Rangers said the same with joey Barton. 

Inch Hearts
5 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Hughes came back from the Indian League Whelan has been playing at a high level. 

The comparison is barely credible 

Joey Barton was player of the year for a club who got promoted to the EPL.  Our game is fast and if legs are an issue you get found out.

Hughes did come from the Indian league yet many were delighted he signed then given more years for some random reason. 

Leveins Battalion
3 minutes ago, Inch Hearts said:

Joey Barton was player of the year for a club who got promoted to the EPL.  Our game is fast and if legs are an issue you get found out.

Hughes did come from the Indian league yet many were delighted he signed then given more years for some random reason. 

Hughes had a decent career but was genuinely one of the worst players I've seen in a Hearts Jersey,absoloutly finished.His performances at Easter Road and at Hamilton were beyond pish.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
3 minutes ago, Inch Hearts said:

Tynecastle is also small. Whelans legs.

Probably the best engine in the Championship last season. Fantastic powers of recovery 

i wish jj was my dad
5 minutes ago, Inch Hearts said:

We had clowns on here telling us Don Cowie's legs had gone when he was signed but he was still our fittest player at 35. I'd wait and see before I write him off. 

Doesn’t want to train in Edinburgh full time and wants to spend half the week in Birmingham! Don’t think we are going to agree to that tbh

Hungry hippo
33 minutes ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

We need a quality player short term who can cover for Haring and ideally play alongside him too for the rest of the season.

Inch Hearts
2 minutes ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

We had clowns on here telling us Don Cowie's legs had gone when he was signed but he was still our fittest player at 35. I'd wait and see before I write him off. 

True and me too.  Time and patience is required st the same time as is over expecting.

Inch Hearts
6 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Tynecastle is also small. Whelans legs.

Probably the best engine in the Championship last season. Fantastic powers of recovery 

Hope so.  Time will tell mate. 

Inch Hearts
2 minutes ago, PapaShango said:

Doesn’t want to train in Edinburgh full time and wants to spend half the week in Birmingham! Don’t think we are going to agree to that tbh

Csnt see Craig agreeing to that tbh.

1 minute ago, PapaShango said:

CL let’s Naisy train at home sometimes doesn’t he, knowing he’s a model pro. Maybe it’s not that far fetched, if true..?

Just now, Inch Hearts said:

Csnt see Craig agreeing to that tbh.

May be the reason it’s not done yet and they are trying to persuade him to commit full time to staying up here. I get the feeling his family don’t want to up sticks to Edinburgh for a year.

2 minutes ago, PapaShango said:

Heard similar, tbh I’d not be to fussed so long as  he was here for any sessions where we work on shape and tactics. A 35yr old pro doesn’t need to be here for fitness sessions

1 minute ago, MattyK82 said:

CL let’s Naisy train at home sometimes doesn’t he, knowing he’s a model pro. Maybe it’s not that far fetched, if true..?

Just what I’ve heard but big difference commuting from Ayrshire to Edinburgh than Birmingham to Edinburgh. 

Coburg Hearts
22 minutes ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

You are at it. No idea how you haven't been launched.

You could say that about quite a few. The amount of ignorance on this thread, and board, is quite bewildering.

Just now, Ribble said:

Heard similar, tbh I’d not be to fussed so long as  he was here for any sessions where we work on shape and tactics. A 35yr old pro doesn’t need to be here for fitness sessions

I agree but depends on what Hearts are thinking and if it will work or not.

Jamboscanbevicius
6 minutes ago, PapaShango said:

If true I can't see that being a goer. Creates too much bad feeling in the dressing room IMO.

5 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Assuming teams in the Championship can pick up free agents once the window closes I'd say it could make a huge difference to Whelan.

We'll have more choice though

• davemclaren locked this topic