Glenn Whelan signs one year deal with Hearts (title updated)

Roman1874

gorgie rd eh11
1 hour ago, Rudolf said:

‘Football knowledge’ from someone who thinks Paul Ritchie was a better player than Craig Levein😂

Tell me someone never said that.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BarneyBattles44

• Notts1874

• Victorian

• Morgan

38 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

:spoton:

personally, I can't wait for Saturday. A couple of pints, watching the Hearts. 

It's what Saturdays are made for.

:spoton:

7 minutes ago, Jambosteve1902 said:

absolutely not a sub mate, ever present!

Looks like in most games he was either subbed off around the hour or subbed on with a few minutes to go. He also played a number of full games.

Seems to be why he only played the equivalent of 20 full games from 41 games.

20 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Thought it is strange Berra is talking about him being a good signing. Maybe he knows something. 

A thought that too. Can’t recall us ever having players passing comment on potential targets, especially at the point where we’ve admitted we are in discussions with said player? My first thought on the Berra comments was ‘that’s a very Celticky thing to do’. 

Think you may be right...maybe he does indeed know something 🤔

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Rudolf said:

‘Football knowledge’ from someone who thinks Paul Ritchie was a better player than Craig Levein😂

We all have our own views, personally I know more now than I did back then which might’ve changed that opinion who knows.

Don't see why an extra year would be a problem for us, the guy keeps himself in good condition and we had a half fit Hughes for longer @jr ewing

Edited by franko1874

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, luckydug said:

You have bombarded this thread with umpteen posts about Sundays match mostly saying the same thing repeatedly.

People are logging in to this thread to read news of an exciting transfer not to read your constant opinions on a match which is now history.

Go to the match thread if you still want to discuss Sunday's game.

Only answering others posts on here, have you picked them up on that? Have the mods? Have you discussed Whelan, I have up there 👆. By putting this post up you have further clogged the thread up.

FarmerTweedy
44 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Thought it is strange Berra is talking about him being a good signing. Maybe he knows something. 

I think if someone asks the club captain what he thinks of a potential new signing that we're in talks with, it's unlikely he's going to say anything other than that he thinks he'd be a good signing if he comes!

3 minutes ago, FarmerTweedy said:

I think if someone asks the club captain what he thinks of a potential new signing that we're in talks with, it's unlikely he's going to say anything other than that he thinks he'd be a good signing if he comes!

Yeah. Maybe find out what he thinks of signing Lafferty soon. 

FarmerTweedy
28 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Looks like in most games he was either subbed off around the hour or subbed on with a few minutes to go. He also played a number of full games.

Seems to be why he only played the equivalent of 20 full games from 41 games.

Looking from about February onwards, he seems to have started most weekend games, and finished the majority of them too, but been brought on as a sub more often in midweek games, suggesting that his manager didn't think he's got the legs left to play Saturday then midweek then Saturday again for 90 minutes. There's nothing in that to suggest he wouldn't be able to still cope with playing regularly for us.  Bear in mind that we wouldn't necessarily look to play him for 90 minutes all that often anyway - in games where we're trailing, or drawing with a team we should be beating (unlikely, but try to imagine it 😉 ), he's probably the sort of player that would be taken off for a more attacking player, and in games where we're winning comfortably, we'd quite possibly look to give a young lad a run out as a sub in his place.  Also, when Haring's eventually back fit, there's likely to be a lot of games where we'll only want one of them on the park at a time.

Horatio Caine
15 minutes ago, FarmerTweedy said:

Looking from about February onwards, he seems to have started most weekend games, and finished the majority of them too, but been brought on as a sub more often in midweek games, suggesting that his manager didn't think he's got the legs left to play Saturday then midweek then Saturday again for 90 minutes. There's nothing in that to suggest he wouldn't be able to still cope with playing regularly for us.  Bear in mind that we wouldn't necessarily look to play him for 90 minutes all that often anyway - in games where we're trailing, or drawing with a team we should be beating (unlikely, but try to imagine it 😉 ), he's probably the sort of player that would be taken off for a more attacking player, and in games where we're winning comfortably, we'd quite possibly look to give a young lad a run out as a sub in his place.  Also, when Haring's eventually back fit, there's likely to be a lot of games where we'll only want one of them on the park at a time.

Also, the fact that with our referees, he's likely to miss a number of games due to suspension...

10 hours ago, jamboinglasgow said:

You know what makes Kickback such a great place these days, that certain posters turn everything into having a go against Levein. I really enjoy people trying to attack any hope or joy I get from following Hearts at the moment.

I both laugh and sigh at the predictability of them. Arseholes :D

1 hour ago, gorgie rd eh11 said:

Tell me someone never said that.

Yes PFK said that only a few months ago:rofl:

What a boring and tedious thread this has become. If he signs good, if not we move on. The sad reality is that we have known that the midfield is an issue for months and what have we done about it; feck all. 

4 minutes ago, daveyhmfc said:

What a boring and tedious thread this has become. If he signs good, if not we move on. The sad reality is that we have known that the midfield is an issue for months and what have we done about it; feck all. 

Apart from trying to sign Glenn Whelan in the transfer window. Nope we have done feck all.

hmfc_liam06
7 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

Apart from trying to sign Glenn Whelan in the transfer window. Nope we have done feck all.

"The midfield is an issue, we need real quality in there"

Hearts try and sign quality.

"We're doing nothing to address our midfield!!!!"

Some folk have zero concept of the transfer market. To get quality we need patience. Imagine the seethe if Levein went out and signed a bunch of Bozanic's early in the window :lol:

• Moderators

The next person to take this thread back off topic is going to be suspended.

Please don't do that.

Longer this one drags on the more I feel like it's not going to happen. Hipe we have a backup plan if he's sitting waiting for better offers

Coburg Hearts
2 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

I thought that a bit strange, too.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 hour ago, franko1874 said:

Don't see why an extra year would be a problem for us, the guy keeps himself in good condition and we had a half fit Hughes for longer @jr ewing

Wives and children possibly. Moving around. Think Naismith 

5 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

"The midfield is an issue, we need real quality in there"

Hearts try and sign quality.

"We're doing nothing to address our midfield!!!!"

Some folk have zero concept of the transfer market. To get quality we need patience. Imagine the seethe if Levein went out and signed a bunch of Bozanic's early in the window :lol:

Fair point but given Djoum was unlikely to stay, we are rather ill prepared for the start of the league campaign. We've needed resources in there for a while so would have hoped that we could have concluded some business prior to now. 

hmfc_liam06
6 minutes ago, Mort said:

Fair point but given Djoum was unlikely to stay, we are rather ill prepared for the start of the league campaign. We've needed resources in there for a while so would have hoped that we could have concluded some business prior to now. 

The point is we are aiming high for our replacement, guys of Whelan's/Morrisons's ilk are out of our reach at the start of the window.

Seymour M Hersh
23 minutes ago, RS86 said:

Longer this one drags on the more I feel like it's not going to happen. Hipe we have a backup plan if he's sitting waiting for better offers

Well, in the recruitment profession they do say time kills all deals. 

Edited by Seymour M Hersh

Jamboscanbevicius

I think Whelan would be an excellent signing for one season. Solid player with great experience at the top level. In those games where we are watching a lightweight midfield getting bullied, he'd help immensely. Hopefully he finishes mulling it over this week and we can get him in.

Out of interest, why do people keep mentioning Morrison. Is there anything (other than blind hope) to suggest we are interested or speaking to him too?

Interesting that Whelan and Jon Daly have been mates since they were young boys playing together in the young Rep. of Ireland sides.

OmiyaHearts

I don't know if this is transfer related but Austin Macphee was in the Fairmont @ St Andrew's after the Aberdeen game. Not sure if he was staying, or the purpose, but he was in the gym.

He said our performance was good and put the defeat down to to individual errors. 

Didn't know where to post but I noticed people mentioned Golf / Whelan in the the thread previously (which I know nothing about) so it might be linked.

Edited by OmiyaHearts

23 minutes ago, OmiyaHearts said:

I don't know if this is transfer related but Austin Macphee was in the Fairmont @ St Andrew's after the Aberdeen game. Not sure if he was staying, or the purpose, but he was in the gym.

He said our performance was good and put the defeat down to to individual errors. 

Didn't know where to post but I noticed people mentioned Golf / Whelan in the the thread previously (which I know nothing about) so it might be linked.

Macphee is originally from Cupar. St Andrews not a million miles away from there could just be a gym he uses

OmiyaHearts
1 minute ago, bazman said:

Macphee is originally from Cupar. St Andrews not a million miles away from there could just be a gym he uses

Yeah I doubted it had any relevance at all tbh

31 minutes ago, OmiyaHearts said:

Our performance was not good, until the introduction of Naismith and Washington imo.

Would be over the moon if we got Whelan and Morrison.  Just what the doctor ordered!

Levein stated he wasn't after Morrison (sadly). People keep bringing his name up here. Is it just blind hope/gossip/fantasy or is there more to it that I haven't read on here?

Lord Beni of Gorgie
40 minutes ago, innerjambo said:

Our performance was not good, until the introduction of Naismith and Washington imo.

It was competitive. Didn't flow very well, we weathered a storm and got into the game. Aberdeen did foul us every time we broke on them, something conveniently missed by their myopic support, so that wasn't easy for us. Didn't help the ref allowed this to happen for over 40 minutes. Every game has small details.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
3 minutes ago, Henroddy said:

Levein stated he wasn't after Morrison (sadly). People keep bringing his name up here. Is it just blind hope/gossip/fantasy or is there more to it that I haven't read on here?

He may have been less than truthful

Just now, Sir Gio said:

He may have been less than truthful

It would be an amazing signing and until he or Whelan sign for someone else there is always hope

We need someone new in midfield for the Motherwell league cup game a week on Saturday. For me it could have a huge impact on our success and fans morale should we fail to progress. Whelan would fit the bill on paper hopefully on grass too. 

jamboiain13
7 minutes ago, EIEIO said:

We need someone new in midfield for the Motherwell league cup game a week on Saturday. For me it could have a huge impact on our success and fans morale should we fail to progress. Whelan would fit the bill on paper hopefully on grass too. 

game is next Friday night

Just now, jamboiain13 said:

game is next Friday night

Ok forgot about that, means we have 20 less hours to sign a decent midfielder.

54 minutes ago, EIEIO said:

Ok forgot about that, means we have 20 less hours to sign a decent midfielder.

Or play our best 11 & pump them

Inch Hearts

Not only hull but sheff wed want him apparently.

The waiting game for quality is fine by me though.  Whelan is that. 

Edited by Inch Hearts

Midloth_Iain
1 hour ago, Henroddy said:

No-one else seems to be in for him as yet ....

Maybe we are announcing a double signing  🤔

Inch Hearts
1 minute ago, Kid Creole said:

No-one else seems to be in for him as yet ....

Maybe we are announcing a double signing  🤔

Same folk that said Adam was signing.  It’s encouraging they players are being linked mind you. 

hmfc_liam06
8 minutes ago, tcjambo said:

Only two days until English window closes . Hopefully the situation will be clearer after that.

It'll could potentially be more difficult once the window closes.

6 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

It'll could potentially be more difficult once the window closes.

If Whelan is a free agent the window will make no difference to him.

hmfc_liam06
Just now, EIEIO said:

If Whelan is a free agent the window will make no difference to him.

Assuming teams in the Championship can pick up free agents once the window closes I'd say it could make a huge difference to Whelan.

Just now, hmfc_liam06 said:

Assuming teams in the Championship can pick up free agents once the window closes I'd say it could make a huge difference to Whelan.

I'm agreeing with you . If any championship side makes him an offer that matches ours (or more likely tops ours) he will likely as not take it , particularly if he doesn't have to uproot his family from the Midlands.

Doubtful of this happening now tbh.    It's got a deid duck look about it.    I think we've been played.

• davemclaren locked this topic