Hearts v Celtic semi - over 28,000 sold

jamdunc

Captain Sausage
7 minutes ago, jamie1874 said:

There is a simple solution in all of this that fulfills the commitment to Hampden, and plays the games on different days and reasonable KO times.

game 1 Saturday 27th October 5.15pm KO 

game 2 Sunday 28th October any KO between 1pm and 4pm

this ensures both games are played when the SPFL planned them to be played.

only issue in this is one of Celtic or Rangers will be p1ssed at this, but who cares, as that is the attitude in the media to Hearts and Aberdeen so both clubs should say they are happy to play a game when it was supposed to be played. I can only imagine the out cry in the media about this if It was the suggested.

Meanwhile, come December everyone will be going on about how great the EPL is over Christmas and NY as teams play 2 games in 3 days, yet we won’t do it for one team.

This. 

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NANOJAMBO

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• ...a bit disco

• graygo

17 minutes ago, RobNox said:

It would have been by far the most sensible solution to try and agree a compromise with the SFA to allow one of the ties to be played at Murrayfield.

Did the SPFL even seriously pursue this option?  All Doncaster said was that they had asked the question.  What question?

SPFL - Is it OK if we play one of the semi-finals at a different stadium?

SFA - GTF!

SPFL - Oh well, at least we asked the question.

There's a big difference between asking to move one of the games, and actually seriously trying to negotiate a deal to accommodate a switch.  

Apparently the SRU were contacted by the SPFL and canvassed about one of the semis being played at Murrayfield. Tom English made reference to this tonight. 

40 minutes ago, Drumjambo said:

As for Scott McDonalds claim of Hampden to Edinburgh in 45 mins after a game - Ignorant aussie ******

Ignorant, as you say.

Out of curiosity, I put the journey from Tynecastle to Hampden into Google maps, and for a Sunday evening to get to Hampden for 7.10 it says 55-70 minutes. 

So, if there's no extra-time or penalty kicks and you have seats near an exit and only have a 5 minute walk to the car (no chance!) and there's no traffic you may get to home/Tynecastle by 11pm. 

...a bit disco
7 minutes ago, Gmcjambo said:

Well this isn't surprising but it is absolutely damming....https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/football/45713750?__twitter_impression=true

He was quite upfront about it all on Sportsound and spoke very eloquently about his concerns.

More ammunition in our favour!

9 minutes ago, Gmcjambo said:

Well this isn't surprising but it is absolutely damming....https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/football/45713750?__twitter_impression=true

Heard him on Sportscene also talk about the welfare of the police horses as they would be needed from around 10.00 am until way past 11.00 pm to control the crowds in and around Hampden 

From a total selfish point of view there are some people who had made alternative arrangements for the following week thinking that hearts would be playing at parkhead.some peeps may already have changed shifts,asked for holidays or booked holidays.best idea i have heard so far is having the huns v dons game at 5.15 on the saturday and our game early on the sunday.

Psychedelicropcircle

Can’t be bothered to read through this thread but I was wondering why it is we & them were first out the hat & how it came to be we are playing the second game?

2 minutes ago, Psychedelicropcircle said:

Can’t be bothered to read through this thread but I was wondering why it is we & them were first out the hat & how it came to be we are playing the second game?

Apparently police wanted rangers game first

3 minutes ago, Psychedelicropcircle said:

Police asked for Aberdeen game to be first 

4 minutes ago, Psychedelicropcircle said:

They blaming the Police for that one. seemingly they wanted that game first = i prefer the conspiracy theory of it gives the Tic a little more rest as they gonna need all the help they can get to try and beat the famous

Edited by MadJock

Hackney Hearts
3 minutes ago, Psychedelicropcircle said:

Polis Scotland wanted the Aberdeen v Rangers game first. According to Kris Boyd in the Sun, this is because Aberdeen fans are violent scumbags who hate Rangers.

alwaysthereinspirit
4 minutes ago, JALBO said:

How this kind of expert comment can be ignored is beyond me.  

Oh please. What does he know about Policing that Dungcaster doesn't? :)

scott herbertson
Just now, Boozyuzi said:

Which team is at home on the Thursday night - Celtic or Rangers? Whoever it is can play their semi on Saturday at 5.30 pm.

Rangers - that would make too much sense tho

1 hour ago, Gmcjambo said:

Maybe hundreds of us should email the above link to the SPFL and SFA along with the petition that now has thousands and thousands of signatories calling for change. This is no longer just about unnecessary inconvenience - the safety of fans and non-fans alike is being compromised

Lord Beni of Gorgie

I wonder how Aberdeen would have felt about 745 Sunday night? Train would get them there in time sure enough. 

Horses a bit of a turn up for the books. Makes you wonder which copper has agreed. Feeling a bit sheepish I think 

Probably already covered but wonder what they would have done if Hibs had beaten Aberdeen; would they have had all 4 of these teams in Glasgow on the same day? Considering Hibs would more than likely have been taking a far bigger support through than Aberdeen.

Jambo, Goodbye
1 hour ago, Oliver Twist said:

I'll say it again. The solution is simple.

Hearts v Aberdeen

Rangers v Celtic

It's easy.

It's a cup draw. You can't go changing the tie. Silly solution imo and utterly unrealistic.

16 minutes ago, JALBO said:

Maybe hundreds of us should email the above link to the SPFL and SFA along with the petition that now has thousands and thousands of signatories calling for change. This is no longer just about unnecessary inconvenience - the safety of fans and non-fans alike is being compromised

Emailing MSPs would be more effective.

Big Slim Stylee
4 minutes ago, Jambo, Goodbye said:

It's a cup draw. You can't go changing the tie. Silly solution imo and utterly unrealistic.

Sense of humour got the day off?

...a bit disco
13 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

I wonder how Aberdeen would have felt about 745 Sunday night? Train would get them there in time sure enough. 

Horses a bit of a turn up for the books. Makes you wonder which copper has agreed. Feeling a bit sheepish I think 

Horses must be on treble-time for a Sunday or summat.

Prohibitive.

Jambo, Goodbye
2 minutes ago, Big Slim Stylee said:

Sense of humour got the day off?

Hardly. It didn't read as a joke. And if it was,  it's pish.

7 minutes ago, JWL said:

Probably already covered but wonder what they would have done if Hibs had beaten Aberdeen; would they have had all 4 of these teams in Glasgow on the same day? Considering Hibs would more than likely have been taking a far bigger support through than Aberdeen.

That would be an even more absurd scenario but it would be a good question for a journalist to ask, given the answer should be yes according to the contract.

47 minutes ago, JALBO said:

How this kind of expert comment can be ignored is beyond me.  

This guy is just back after being out of the country, he hasn't actually put his viewpoint across to anyone yet apart from tonight on Sportsound, he will be on the phone to the Chief Constable first thing tomorrow. :thumbsup: 

He did say that his colleagues have expressed similar views but hopefully he has a bit more clout.

6 minutes ago, ...a bit disco said:

Horses must be on treble-time for a Sunday or summat.

Prohibitive.

Get a petition up complaining about cruelty to the poor horses.  Target all the animal welfare groups to sign up to it.  It would be hilarious if the SPFL were eventually forced to back down because of the plight of the horses, when they couldn't give a jot about the supporters.

And before anyone posts that this is a silly idea, I know, it's just a pish joke!

2 minutes ago, RobNox said:

Get a petition up complaining about cruelty to the poor horses.  Target all the animal welfare groups to sign up to it.  It would be hilarious if the SPFL were eventually forced to back down because of the plight of the horses, when they couldn't give a jot about the supporters.

And before anyone posts that this is a silly idea, I know, it's just a pish joke!

#Prayforthehorses

theschoolend
4 minutes ago, Husky said:

After listening to bbc sports sound I will be very surprised if this goes ahead 

Having not heard it. What were they saying? 

6 minutes ago, Husky said:

After listening to bbc sports sound I will be very surprised if this goes ahead 

Yeah, the agreement of the police did seem to be a key part of the decision. So if they don't agree after all....

The police have just endorsed Murrayfield so Doncaster surely has a way out here. Either way he's going to get flak over this for a long time, so admitting he made a mistake would probably be the best option for him. I really think part of this is about the whole Hampden/Scotland decision though. They probably really don't want a sameday comparison of the Hampden vs Murrayfield match day experience as it will inevitably make Murrayfield look better.

Edited by Guest

hoof.hearted

I honestly believe the SPFL towed the SFA line making sure Murrayfield didn't host a semi because...

1. It has a better atmosphere

2. Is more of a spectacle for TV

3. Transport links are widely praised.

Jambo, Goodbye

I'm feeling really really optimistic that it'll be sorted out this week. The SPFL can't go on like this,  surely? 

2 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Yeah, the agreement of the police did seem to be a key part of the decision. So if they don't agree after all....

The police have just endorsed Murrayfield so Doncaster surely has a way out here. Either way he's going to get flak over this for a long time, so admitting he made a mistake would probably be the best option for him. I really think part of this is about the whole Hampden/Scotland decision though. They probably really don't want a sameday comparison of the Hampden vs Murrayfield match day experience as it will inevitably make Murrayfield look better.

It may well be that the concerns of the Police Federation give the SPFL the way out.  The contractual obligation to play OF semis at Hampden is subject to Police Scotland approval.

So, if in the face of concerns raised by the Police Federation, Police Scotland were to have second thoughts about their ability to effectively police both games in Glasgow on the same day, they could put the kybosh on that idea.  If that was to happen, then it would be back to a choice of playing one of the games at Murrayfield on the same day, or rearranging one of the fixtures to be played at Hampden on another date.

However, as Doncaster has already said there is absolutely no room in the fixture calendar to rearrange one of the fixtures for a different date, it would have to go ahead at Murrayfield.  Unless he was lying about the ability to rearrange the date.  It could all still come back to haunt him.

Dagger Is Back
2 hours ago, SUTOL said:

Ignorant, as you say.

Out of curiosity, I put the journey from Tynecastle to Hampden into Google maps, and for a Sunday evening to get to Hampden for 7.10 it says 55-70 minutes. 

So, if there's no extra-time or penalty kicks and you have seats near an exit and only have a 5 minute walk to the car (no chance!) and there's no traffic you may get to home/Tynecastle by 11pm. 

I did the Hydro to the west of Edinburgh last night in 70 minutes starting at 1030pm. No way will 45 minutes cut it.

2 hours ago, jamie1874 said:

There is a simple solution in all of this that fulfills the commitment to Hampden, and plays the games on different days and reasonable KO times.

game 1 Saturday 27th October 5.15pm KO 

game 2 Sunday 28th October any KO between 1pm and 4pm

this ensures both games are played when the SPFL planned them to be played.

only issue in this is one of Celtic or Rangers will be p1ssed at this, but who cares, as that is the attitude in the media to Hearts and Aberdeen so both clubs should say they are happy to play a game when it was supposed to be played. I can only imagine the out cry in the media about this if It was the suggested.

Meanwhile, come December everyone will be going on about how great the EPL is over Christmas and NY as teams play 2 games in 3 days, yet we won’t do it for one team.

Posted something similar on another thread. If Murrayfield not an option then they should be sticking to the Saturday / Sunday split and toss a coin for which way round. This disadavantages 1 team rather 2.

We all know it won’t happen however as can’t disadvantage OF. Its Also noticeable that not one pundits has dared suggest this!

15 minutes ago, hoof.hearted said:

I honestly believe the SPFL towed the SFA line making sure Murrayfield didn't host a semi because...

1. It has a better atmosphere

2. Is more of a spectacle for TV

3. Transport links are widely praised.

...Neither of the Glasgow clubs would blink and be the one to play outside Glasgow. IMO. 

It's inconceivable that the SPFL couldn't get agreement to a change of venue and needless to say no one from the Glasgow media has approached any of SPFL/SFA/Hampden to ask the simple question - WHY was the contract clause more important  than 100,000 football fans. Where is the Scottish minister for sport when you need him/her (I'm assuming there is one)? The govt should be challenging this decision openly. 

7 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

I don't think we will be playing Celtic on the Sunday night anymore. The SPFL were hoping this would blow over. It isn't.

Doncaster is now in a hole. Damned by HMFC & Sheep, damned by the police trade union and invoking the wrath of MSPs, Scotrail publicly having their tuppence worth. He must know he is isolated now. If there is any violence in Glasgow that day he's on the hook.  Maybe the Police Federation have given him an escape route. 

10 minutes ago, andy81 said:

Posted something similar on another thread. If Murrayfield not an option then they should be sticking to the Saturday / Sunday split and toss a coin for which way round. This disadavantages 1 team rather 2.

We all know it won’t happen however as can’t disadvantage OF. Its Also noticeable that not one pundits has dared suggest this!

Correct, but it disadvantages either Celtic or Rangers and you can be sure the SPFL would not want to be seen to disadvantage one half of the OF over the other, for fears of being branded as having sympathies towards the other half.

I can already see the Rangers statement that would be issued if they had been forced to play their semi final on the Saturday, claiming how the decision 'beggars belief' and is further proof of the papist conspiracy against them and the traditions they hold dear.  

Just now, RobNox said:

Correct, but it disadvantages either Celtic or Rangers and you can be sure the SPFL would not want to be seen to disadvantage one half of the OF over the other, for fears of being branded as having sympathies towards the other half.

I can already see the Rangers statement that would be issued if they had been forced to play their semi final on the Saturday, claiming how the decision 'beggars belief' and is further proof of the papist conspiracy against them and the traditions they hold dear.  

Totally agree. 

Still by far the easiest solution is to play Celtic in the cup the following Saturday at hampden and rearrange the league game for a midweek later in the season, it could even be post split as we are both going to be top six. To me it is so bloody obvious it’s scary!!

letsalldothebeattie
6 hours ago, ...a bit disco said:

A fan has shared a letter with the Evening News that he sent to the SFA highlighting a potential solution to the Betfred Cup semi-final clash. Do you agree with his solution?

Dear Mr Doncaster

In the last few minutes I have read with interest further comments attributed to you with regards the decision to play both Betfred Scottish League Cup semi-finals at Hampden Park on the same day.

You are I’m sure by now fully aware of the widespread anger, disappointment and indeed disillusionment being voiced by many football supporters at this astonishing and in my view shameful decision.

Once again the loyal followers of our national game have been taken advantage of by those who simply refuse to take into account their best interests and treat them with the respect they deserve.

That you and your colleagues felt able to come to the decision you did yesterday without exploring EVERY SINGLE AVENUE open to you speaks volumes for the utter contempt with which you hold the lifeblood of our game.

That you are completely oblivious or perhaps do not care that thousands of Scottish kids will miss out on the opportunity to attend the upcoming semi-finals should be the thing you are most ashamed about but I can’t imagine that will cross your mind when you are holed up in your corporate box for BOTH matches whilst looking out over a half empty Hampden.

You commented during your most recent whitewash of a press conference that “if anyone had another solution, then great, we’d absolutely look at it”, well here you are Mr Doncaster, here’s a very straightforward solution which would allow the supporters of all 4 clubs involved in the semi-finals a far better chance to attend what should be a great occasion.

To go and support their team in what should be a showpiece in our football calendar, not squeezed in on a Sunday night because people can’t be bothered to get creative and work out a better solution.

League Cup Semi-finals Sunday 28th October 2018

Hampden Park

Rangers v Aberdeen

(move the game back to a time where by the Aberdeen fans can actually get to Glasgow using public transport e.g. 3pm)

Sunday 4th November 2018

Hampden Park

Hearts v Celtic

(I note that Kilmarnock play Aberdeen at 12.15pm for TV purposes so I would suggest a Hampden kick off time of circa 2.30-3pm. I further note that Queens Park play at home to Annan Athletic on Saturday 3rd November which is why I have not suggested that date. I’m sure given your assurances with regards 2 games being played within hours of each other that there will be no issues playing 2 games within 24 hours!).

SPFL matches Saturday 27th October

Dens Park Dundee v Hearts (goes ahead as planned at 3pm).

Sunday 28th October Fir Park Motherwell v Celtic (this fixture was scheduled for Parkhead. Simply swap the fixture between this and the one scheduled between the clubs at Fir Park on Saturday 5th December, a mere month later.

Given the kick off of Aberdeen v Rangers at Hampden have this kick off at 12.30pm meaning it is completed in advance of the semi-final and the fans will not be anywhere near each other.

I’m sure Police Scotland will be very happy to look after the 9-10,000 crowd in Lanark!. You sighted that they would not allow the fixture to be played at Parkhead the same day well here is a very simple answer to that.

Celtic v Hearts league match scheduled for Saturday 3rd November is postponed meaning that it is the only additional match needing a date into 2019. It could also be played, if there is a desperation to do so, on Wednesday 19th December 2018 as there are no midweek fixtures, either domestic or European that midweek.

The above “solution” is in my view extremely practical, very easy to implement, and without question in the best interests of Hearts and Celtic (and indeed the fans of both Rangers and Aberdeen who will be able to enjoy their semi-final in isolation and at a sensible kick off time). It ensures that the most people possible can attend both semi-finals which should be your aim as one of the ‘leaders’ of our game.

It also benefits two of our other clubs in Motherwell and Dundee as they get weekend fixtures against Hearts and Celtic. Win, win, win.

That should be your MO Mr Doncaster, you should be trying to better our game, a game that is often undermined and thrown under the bus. Here’s an opportunity to listen to the feedback of thousands of supporters and do the right thing. I won’t hold my breath but I intend to forward this to a number of other parties including the clubs involved and relevant journalists.

You asked for a “solution”, well here it is!

Yours,

Andrew Hawkins

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/our-region/edinburgh/fan-shares-letter-sent-to-sfa-suggestion-solution-to-betfred-cup-scheduling-1-4807955

Well written and a fantastic solution. Shame Doncaster won’t read it though 

5 minutes ago, ericb said:

Still by far the easiest solution is to play Celtic in the cup the following Saturday at hampden and rearrange the league game for a midweek later in the season, it could even be post split as we are both going to be top six. To me it is so bloody obvious it’s scary!!

It is the most obvious solution, but Doncaster said there were no free dates left in the calendar to reschedule the Celtic v Hearts match.  That's clearly bullshit, as there are going to be games lost to the weather over the winter period, which will have to be rescheduled somehow or other.

Obviously if Celtic progress deep into the Europa League, that might reduce a lot of the midweek options, but at the end of the day, that's Celtic's tough shit, it comes with the territory.  I can't imagine the footballing authorities would be bending over backwards to accommodate Hearts if we were in a similar situation.

59 minutes ago, RobNox said:

In this day and age, it's not as daft as you think!

Who cares about human beings or, as far as the Uglies are concerned, sub-human beings - but horses!!!

Have the police, in the light of this information, alerted the anti-terrorist unit to get into the game as far as the way out looney animal rights lot are concerned?

Just read that ScotRail employees are working to rule from October 10 indefinitely.    So if still working to rule on semi final day no overtime will be worked and even less trains than normal.