Hearts v Celtic semi - over 28,000 sold

jamdunc

John Findlay

The news about the new overseas contract was Doncaster believing(wrongly) that this would offset the later news of the League Cup semi games staying as they are. More interested in accommodating those that watch on television than those supporters who put their cash into the game at the coalface by actually attending games in Scotland. 

As much as it goes against the grain of many. We have to make a stand and tell them where to shove their tickets for this semi final. We and Aberdeen are being dis-advantaged at every turn and that is a disgrace. This is solely for the benefit of two clubs and two clubs only and both happen to be from Glasgow.

Scottish football rotten to the core.

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NANOJAMBO

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• ...a bit disco

• graygo

20 hours ago, gnasher75 said:

It is a bit more complicated unfortunately.

Flipping the Celtic v Motherwell fixtures means that on Wednesday 5th December, Celtic and Rangers would both be scheduled to have home games.  Doncaster has therefore ruled this out.  (The fan has mistakenly referred to Saturday 5th December - it's a Wednesday night).

There is a solution however.  

Flip the Celtic v Motherwell fixtures as proposed so that Celtic play Motherwell at Parkhead on Wednesday 5th December.

Move the Rangers v Aberdeen game scheduled for Wednesday 5th back to Thursday 6th December.  (The Tuesday is out due to games taking place the previous Sunday).

Then move Aberdeen v St Johnstone and Dundee v Rangers that are scheduled for Saturday 8th back to Sunday 9th December.

You can see why the SPFL don't want to do all that but it is a possible solution and is a better option than what they have proposed.

Moving our game to the following weekend and rearranging other games seems at least worthy of debate.  Unfortunately there was no mention of it (that I heard) on Sportsound last night.  But we heard Michael Stewart's "move it to Murrayfield/great day of Scottish football" option countless times. 

Seemed to be a pretty limited range of discussion last night, maybe I've missed this option being covered in the mainstream media?

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
2 hours ago, Deevers said:

Beginning to hope that there is complete mayhem on the streets of Glasgow and that Hampden is trashed in the first game so badly that our game can't go ahead. If that happens all of the buffoons responsible for allowing this madness to happen can be forced from office. 

If the weeg ends up looking like Manchester, after the hun uefa final, it will be a drastic improvement. 

Personally hoping sheep, Huns & tims have a full scale riot. 

...a bit disco
13 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

The news about the new overseas contract was Doncaster believing(wrongly) that this would offset the later news of the League Cup semi games staying as they are. More interested in accommodating those that watch on television than those supporters who put their cash into the game at the coalface by actually attending games in Scotland. 

As much as it goes against the grain of many. We have to make a stand and tell them where to shove their tickets for this semi final. We and Aberdeen are being dis-advantaged at every turn and that is a disgrace. This is solely for the benefit of two clubs and two clubs only and both happen to be from Glasgow.

Scottish football rotten to the core.

It will come in handy, when I'm holidaying in Somalia, Chad or Djibouti right enough 

1 minute ago, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

If the weeg ends up looking like Manchester, after the hun uefa final, it will be a drastic improvement. 

Personally hoping sheep, Huns & tims have a full scale riot. 

Really can't understand this mentality

John Findlay
1 minute ago, ...a bit disco said:

It will come in handy, when I'm holidaying in Somalia, Chad or Djibouti right enough 

I can highly recommend Djibouti?.

It seems the belligerents are going ahead despite the massive opposition to the decision.

Edited by Dannie Boy

doctor jambo

At the end of the day, this is the outcome agreed by police because they do not want to police 25,000 Celtic fans using public transport through to Edinburgh, then back again.

The public disorder on trains/buses and in the streets + drinking+ singing + urinating everywhere makes this a non-starter.

So we don't get to attend our semi final , and its largely because Celtic fans are, well, problematic- though no one has the guts to admit it

Every time Celtic fans have travelled in such numbers before there has been trouble, though whilst abroad its deniable, or can be blamed on heavy-handed-foreign-police.

25000 pissed up Celtic fans in Edinburgh in full on party mode would show them up for what they are- and in full public glare.

Celtic don't want that.

2 minutes ago, 1874robbo said:

Is Kevin bridges on in Glasgow the same night also?

I think so. 

12,000 folk there too, isn't it? 

8 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

At the end of the day, this is the outcome agreed by police because they do not want to police 25,000 Celtic fans using public transport through to Edinburgh, then back again.

The public disorder on trains/buses and in the streets + drinking+ singing + urinating everywhere makes this a non-starter.

So we don't get to attend our semi final , and its largely because Celtic fans are, well, problematic- though no one has the guts to admit it

Every time Celtic fans have travelled in such numbers before there has been trouble, though whilst abroad its deniable, or can be blamed on heavy-handed-foreign-police.

25000 pissed up Celtic fans in Edinburgh in full on party mode would show them up for what they are- and in full public glare.

Celtic don't want that.

At Murrayfield it would be at least 32.5k fans I think based on 50/50 split.

6 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

Celtic don't want that.

Dont think that is the reason tbh.They played their champions league games at Murrayfield not so long ago and it was fine. I lived in roseburn at the time. 

N Lincs Jambo
54 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

I agree this is a crossroads. Let it pass and you will forever be taken for a mug. 

Why we should take no tickets nor Aberdeen. 

Sometimes sacrifices need to be made

I think both Hearts and Aberdeen should take 25,000 tickets each and then refuse to sell them rather than take no tickets at all. If we take no tickets both the OF will end up with 50K fans in the ground. One end full and the other end empty at both games with live TV coverage would be the ultimate embarrassment for Doncaster.

Fwiw I think we will take 25K tickets and sell 10K max, same with the sheep.

https://stv.tv/sport/football/1431496-rethink-over-plans-for-scottish-league-cup-semi-finals/

Talks are to take place over a potential rethink of Scotland's League Cup semi-finals.

Police Scotland and the SPFL are expected to reopen discussions over the ties, which are due to take place at Hampden on Sunday, October 28.

Rangers are scheduled to play Aberdeen at 12pm, with Celtic due to face Hearts later in the day at 7.45pm.

Assistant Chief Constable Bernie Higgins has now called for a rethink over the transport plan while other issues will also be discussed following the public's concerns.

He said: "We're aware of issues and concerns that have been raised over the last few days about the date and venue of the League Cup semi-finals.

"As a responsible organisation and taking into account these public concerns, I think it sensible to discuss the issues raised with the SPFL and other stakeholders and I have asked the SPFL to look again at the transport plan so we can make a full public safety assessment."

Initially, the two ties were scheduled for October 27 and 28 but tournament organisers were forced into a rethink as Rangers and Celtic are in Europa League action on the Thursday before the semi-finals.

After a meeting with all four teams, the SPFL announced the decision to play both matches at the stadium on the same day was due to a contractual obligation with operators Hampden Park Limited.

Edited by primrose

Hackney Hearts
2 hours ago, sam? said:

Its twitter mate; not English A-level

:lol:

And I know it's not the first or last time a journalist will have contradicted himself in one sentence.

Nucky Thompson
17 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

Celtic don't want that.

Celtic have already played Champions league qualifiers at Murrayfield with more than 25k travelling through to Edinburgh

Dalstonjambo

Not that i’m normally a hysterical letter writer, but we have

- train London to Glasgow (Sunday lunchtime)

- hotel in Glasgow (Sunday night)

- flight Glasgow to London (Monday morning)

all booked. If these are non refundable anyone know where I stand on discussing compensation with the SPFL as the kick off time was confirmed?

I’m guessing I’ve got no chance but if it’s moved is worth a shot. 

David McCaig
9 minutes ago, Barack said:

Like I said. The upper echelons of Police Management, are as political as the politicians.

They know they've ****ed this up, and are manoeuvring themselves, to cast the SPFL & Doncaster, as the sole harbinger of doom.

By re-examining this, they're all but admitting that due diligence into this, wasn't done to the fullest extent.

Net's closing, Neil...

To be fair to Police Scotland, Doncaster did claim to have spoken to all key stakeholders, when in reality he had made no contact with Transport Scotland.

It's interesting that ACC Higgins is highlighting the need for a transport plan.

Edited by David McCaig

9 minutes ago, Dalstonjambo said:

all booked. If these are non refundable anyone know where I stand on discussing compensation with the SPFL as the kick off time was confirmed?

Not a chance pal, but fully emphasise with your plight. As a non local supporter this type of farce is a proper headache. 

We went to a gig that was cancelled last minute in the summer so down on train and hotel fees (and holiday days) but hey ho, was completely unavoidable. This however was avoidable. Hope it's not too much of a sting for you. 

11 minutes ago, Dalstonjambo said:

You wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

Booking travel and hotels, knowing the fall out from the arrangements and the chances of something changing, was pretty foolish of you in the first place.

10 minutes ago, Dalstonjambo said:

This is why I never thought the games would be moved. People will have booked travel and accommodation.

However if it turns out Doncaster lied to Police Scotland around consulting other stakeholders (transport Scotland for example) the police have no option but to re-think.

Whatever happens this is a mess.

Hackney Hearts
4 minutes ago, Dalstonjambo said:

That would be annoying as ****. I've been holding fire on making any bookings as it seemed possible/likely from the furore that further 'discussion' might take place. Thought it was at least worth waiting a week... I know things are usually cheaper the sooner you can book them, but there was too big a risk here - sadly I think it highly unlikely compensation would be considered if the tie were shifted to Murrayfield, or to the following week at Hampden.

They'll just say (wrongly) that it's like a postponement caused by bad weather.

Swap our fixture the following week with Celtic, and move Rangers v Aberdeen to 5 o clock.

So we play our league game with Celtic at Parkhead at say 12 o clock on Sunday 28th instead of LCSF. By 2 o clock...we're on our way home.

Rangers play Aberdeen at Hampden at 5 o clock on Sunday 28th...less chance of a  clash of fans, and not 2 games on the same pitch on the same day, and less travel hassles for us and Aberdeen(although they'll be late home, and we need to be up early..no biggie)

We play our semi-final against Celtic the following week, Sunday 4th Nov (Rangers are away to St Mirren on 3rd so no clash)

Simples eh

How can I figure that out in 5 mins, but that balloon Doncaster can't? Although if I've missed something, I'm sure someone will point it out. I'm sure Dumbcaster said that, for that to happen they would have to put the re-arranged Celtic- Motherwell game back to it's original date and that would knacker this plan.....eh why? Just leave it where it now is and do the above. 

I P Knightley
4 hours ago, doctor jambo said:

I listened to this total throbber last night

He was  trotting out the  " people say one thing in a meeting then come out and say the immediate opposite"

he basically accused the Aberdeen and Hearts reps of lying

Both Hearts and Aberdeen have been unequivocal in their statements- that they were angry and made that clear at the meeting

Now they are being accused of being liars

You mean Broadfoot? He wasn't in the meeting; how can he say? Unless he's got wee, thick Neil coming out and telling him to tell us all that he's right and they're all lying.

All this fixture swapping faffing as an option...

MURRAYFIELD!

Simple. Celtic didn't have any trouble getting there in large numbers when they played their CL qualifiers there back in 2014.

...a bit disco

SNP MSP says there has been a lack of consideration for families

SNP MSP Gordon MacDonald says there has been a lack of consideration for families and he expresses concern for Hearts fans who will be lucky to get home by midnight, due to the 7.45pm kick off.

A number of MSPs express their concern about the scheduling of two semi-finals on the same day at Hampden.

Tory MSP Jeremy Balfour calls for one of the games to be moved and Mr Fitzpatrick reiterates his point that the SPFL will be listening to this.

Philip SimVerified account @BBCPhilipSim
FollowingFollowing @BBCPhilipSim

Jeremy Balfour says he was hoping to take his two girls to see Hearts progress to the final, but now cannot due to the timing - which is a "retrograde step" in attracting families. He says one game should be moved. Joe Fitzpatrick says he's hopeful the SPFL is listening

Dalstonjambo
14 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

You wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

Booking travel and hotels, knowing the fall out from the arrangements and the chances of something changing, was pretty foolish of you in the first place.

‘Foolish’ - not really necessary was it?

Forgive me for being foolish but the authorities confirmed the kick off times. So no there wasn’t a chance of things being changed in normal circumstances as confirmed has a pretty cast iron meaning. 

I accept as a season ticket holder that lives far away i will have more expensive travel costs for games confirmed at short notice for tv etc. 

But I don’t see how booking travel for a confirmed fixture is foolish? Tough **** re compensation? sure. Foolish? Not having that

Edited by Dalstonjambo

2 minutes ago, Dalstonjambo said:

Forgive me for being foolish but the authorities confirmed the kick off times. So no there wasn’t a chance of things being changed in normal circumstances as confirmed has a pretty cast iron meaning. 

I accept as a season ticket holder that lives far away i will have more expensive travel costs for games confirmed at short notice for tv etc. 

But I don’t see how booking travel for a confirmed fixture is foolish? Tough **** sure. Foolish? Not having that

Police seek talks on League Cup semi-final scheduling

been here before

Police wanting further talks now...

Police Scotland want further talks with the SPFL over plans to stage both League Cup semi-finals at Hampden on Sunday 28 October.

Aberdeen are scheduled to meet Rangers at noon, with Celtic playing Hearts at 19.45 BST.

Scottish Police Federation's general secretary called the timings "idiotic".

Now Assistant Chief Constable Bernie Higgins is calling for a rethink on transport plans and negotiations on other concerns surrounding the ties.

He said: "We're aware of issues and concerns that have been raised over the last few days about the date and venue of the League Cup semi-finals.

"As a responsible organisation and taking into account these public concerns, I think it sensible to discuss the issues raised with the SPFL and other stakeholders and I have asked the SPFL to look again at the transport plan so we can make a full public safety assessment."

The ties were originally planed for October 27 and 28 but the Saturday was ruled out since Rangers and Celtic are in Europa League action on the Thursday.

Following a meeting with all four clubs, the SPFL announced that hosting both matches on Sunday was the only solution, due to lack of flexibility with fixtures and a contractual obligation to use the national stadium in Glasgow.

Aberdeen and Hearts condemned the decision, citing the problems fans would have travelling.

And Scottish Police Federation's general secretary Calum Steele told BBC Scotland that "the police service is going to be run ragged".

'Public order paramount'

The issue was raised at Holyrood, with MSPs saying the plans had been "botched" and displayed a "disregard" for fans and a "lack of consideration for families".

Sports minister Joe Fitzpatrick told MSPs that there was "anger" among fans, saying he hoped that the SPFL would "listen" and "reach the appropriate outcome".

He said: "Discussions are continuing and I understand that Police Scotland has asked the SPFL to review its plans and has sought assurance around public safety. I know that will be welcomed by many fans.

"Police Scotland will review further information and discuss any issues further with the SPFL. It's vital that public order and safety remain paramount in any decision going forward. I would also ask the SPFL to make sure they are considering the fans and the interests of Scottish football in any decision."

Clickety click

Edited by been here before

4 minutes ago, Dalstonjambo said:

But I don’t see how booking travel for a confirmed fixture is foolish? Tough **** sure. Foolish? Not having that

Tbf with all the outcry about the scheduling I’d have been wary of booking anything myself personally but each to their own.

i dare say you’ve got to get in early for a better price.

Bbc reporting it too now 

Sharethis page
Breaking news

Police Scotland want further talks with the SPFL over plans to stage both League Cup semi-finals at Hampden on Sunday 28 October.

Aberdeen are scheduled to meet Rangers at noon, with Celtic playing Hearts at 19.45 BST.

Now Assistant Chief Constable Bernie Higgins is calling for a rethink on transport plans and negotiations on other concerns surrounding the ties.

The ties were originally planed for October 27 and 28 but the Saturday was ruled out since Rangers and Celtic are in Europa League action on the Thursday.

Following a meeting with all four clubs, the SPFL announced that hosting both matches on Sunday was the only solution, due to lack of flexibility with fixtures and a contractual obligation to use the national stadium in Glasgow.

Aberdeen and Hearts condemned the decision, citing the problems fans would have travelling.

And Scottish Police Federation's general secretary Calum Steele told BBC Scotland that "the police service is going to be run ragged".

joondalupjambo
26 minutes ago, gedster said:

https://www.scottishparliament.tv/

from 14.42 onwards covers all the questions and comment/criticism

Every politician standing up with a valid point as to why this is a stupid decision and asking that this is reviewed.  Inclusiveness, health and safety, environmental issues, governance and so on.   All political points that politicians are good at using and this will hold far more sway that fans pushing against the SPFL on there own.  Great to hear and I am now pretty confident that the four clubs will not play in Glasgow on the proposed Sunday and that the fixtures dates and/or locations will be changed.   I now relish listening to Doncaster on how he spins the change.  

If the SPFL dig in and do not reverse this decision then the politicians will not forget it further down the road, i.e. future funding requests.  

Edited by joondalupjambo

Dalstonjambo
Just now, 1874robbo said:

Tbf with all the outcry about the scheduling I’d have been wary of booking anything myself personally but each to their own.

i dare say you’ve got to get in early for a better price.

I completely get that. I took issue as i was called foolish. My admittedly long shot question around compensation was the fact the fixtures were officially confirmed, hence this is an exceptional circumstance. 

Re cost, it’s still in the hundreds, as are all short notice games. 

As i said before i have no problem with short notice confirmation and i’m in the minority living so far away and attending so many games, but the point i’m taking issue with from another poster is calling me foolish for booking to attend a game that was announced as confirmed, outcry or not. 

Goldstone Wonder

You would like to think this is the beginning of the end for Doncaster. He has been exposed yet again to be a lying charlatan. 

2 minutes ago, Spectre said:

Bbc reporting it too now 

Sharethis page
Breaking news

Doncaster told us the Police were happy with the plans!!!  Who's telling porkies???