Hearts v Celtic semi - over 28,000 sold

jamdunc

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Lucky if we take 5000 now to be honest. Ticketing should basically be 50 50 in the South then work East to West and West to East until we meet. 

Logistics should we mean we get the East Stand of course 

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NANOJAMBO

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• ...a bit disco

• graygo

One wonders if the SPFL would have still maintained this ridiculous position had Hibs knocked Aberdeen out last week. Nothing seems beyond the realms of outrageous possibility now, although I really can't believe that the police would sanction that. But then again, I wouldn't have believed the police would have sanctioned what we're now being left with.

Edited by JALBO
grammar correction

7 minutes ago, JALBO said:

One wonders if the SPFL would have still maintained this ridiculous position had Hibs knocked Aberdeen out last week. Nothing seems beyond the realms of outrageous possibility now, although I really can't believe that the police would sanction that. But then again, I wouldn't have believed the police would have sanctioned what we're now being left with.

I think they may have found an alternative. 

2 hours ago, Sir Gio said:

Lucky if we take 5000 now to be honest. Ticketing should basically be 50 50 in the South then work East to West and West to East until we meet. 

Logistics should we mean we get the East Stand of course 

Agree with both of these. The best views and facilities at Hampden are in the South stand. However this way would make the stadium seem very, very empty on TV and we are left in no doubt that the TV viewers experience of this match is much more important than all of us actually heading to the game.

You are also 100% correct on the east stand. It would make a huge difference getting supporters buses away at the end...

42 minutes ago, JALBO said:

Nothing would have changed. The OF could play each other (assuming they were drawn together) at Hampden (as you'd expect) but 50,000 fans from Edinburgh would still have been at Hampden because their contract says any game with a potential audience of 20,000 would also be played at Hampden. 

Think about that. 

Police Scotland have got some questions to answer as to why they agreed to the current "plan".It defies belief. 

6 hours ago, LewisR5-1 said:

Reckoning Celtic are gonna get a bigger cut of the allocation just to rub salt into the wound 

They won’t require it. Celtic aren’t going to have a big support either. 20k max.

13 minutes ago, magicTs said:

They won’t require it. Celtic aren’t going to have a big support either. 20k max.

It's a moot point for both games - but they won't be close to sell outs. 

2 hours ago, JALBO said:

Have I missed something?

I think he means they would have found an alternative if Hibs had beat Aberdeen, no idea what it might have been though as apparently there is no alternative.

This is a total tin hat on post but there has been a few threads on here complaining about the semi final fixtures 

complaints about pundits and the media 

Some fans are concerned regarding safety fears especially with four sets of fans in the same area within a few hours

there was even a thread petitioning to get Doncaster removed from his job

Rather than bitching moaning and complaining would we not get the message across better if we didn’t buy tickets for the semi final not just us jambos but Aberdeen too then maybe it’ll show the beaks that the world doesn’t revolve around Rangers and Celtic 

anyone else feel the same 

No. The only thing it would result in is our team having no backing in the ground.

Anyone saying there not going because of this is just using it as an excuse to not go to a game they wouldn't have gone to anyway. 

Hearts and Aberdeen should withdraw from the tournament. Then we might see some action and pressure on ND. But I suppose that would just hand him the final he wants. 

It should have been ten
9 minutes ago, Super T said:

No. The only thing it would result in is our team having no backing in the ground.

Anyone saying there not going because of this is just using it as an excuse to not go to a game they wouldn't have gone to anyway. 

Think you better get your tin hat on after that last comment lol    :chase:

Personally wouldn’t like to see us or Aberdeen boycott. I will be going to the game and taking my son with me. A Hearts v Aberdeen final would be the perfect revenge! 

5 hours ago, Angus Ogg said:

This is a total tin hat on post but there has been a few threads on here complaining about the semi final fixtures 

complaints about pundits and the media 

Some fans are concerned regarding safety fears especially with four sets of fans in the same area within a few hours

there was even a thread petitioning to get Doncaster removed from his job

Rather than bitching moaning and complaining would we not get the message across better if we didn’t buy tickets for the semi final not just us jambos but Aberdeen too then maybe it’ll show the beaks that the world doesn’t revolve around Rangers and Celtic 

anyone else feel the same 

Surely the beaks would look out at a Hamden with c3k Aberdeen or Hearts fans  and use it as proof that we are small fry. 

2 minutes ago, tntjambo said:

Donkey and his cronies have no interest in Hearts or Aberdeen they crave an old firm final.

This is engineered precisely to create that outcome by making it impractical for Edinburgh and Aberdeen fans to travel.

Something needs to be done to go above Police Scotland and get the SPFL/SFA told they can't have this plan.  I guess if we all write to MSPs and get the Scottish Government to force them to change that could happen.

Clerry Jambo

Appears to be a meeting today to discuss ticketing, suppose we will know more later, but will be very surprised if any change in scheduling 

54 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Surely the beaks would look out at a Hamden with c3k Aberdeen or Hearts fans  and use it as proof that we are small fry. 

The sad truth is that the idiots look at everyone apart from the Old Firm as small fry.

Nothing will change until we get people into office who are working for the good of the game as a whole.

8 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

I’m going, who’s with me?  Shouldn’t be a problem getting home...

4222B5A2-773A-4BA3-9FE9-FE9647F860DE.jpeg

I've got a bairn, who is at school. He wasn't alive last time we made a semi. If anyone thinks I'm missing this then they're sadly mistaken 

1 hour ago, frankblack said:

This is engineered precisely to create that outcome by making it impractical for Edinburgh and Aberdeen fans to travel.

Something needs to be done to go above Police Scotland and get the SPFL/SFA told they can't have this plan.  I guess if we all write to MSPs and get the Scottish Government to force them to change that could happen.

Was actually just about to post something along these lines. We've all seen the letters from msps to the spfl etc, which were laughable in their own right but it's not a political thread. But surely if say the representatives of the Edinburgh, Aberdeen and affected Glasgow constituencies (and the regional msps for those areas too) were to kick up something serious in Holyrood, surely the government could step in and say "it's no happening guys. Rearrange one of the games or pay a heavy fine/other applicable punishment" 

2 hours ago, Clerry Jambo said:

Appears to be a meeting today to discuss ticketing, suppose we will know more later, but will be very surprised if any change in scheduling 

Fixtures can still be rescheduled after tickets have been issued, so it doesn't necessarily stop common sense from prevailing.

It is with great reluctance I have decided not to go. I cannot give my money to support the SPFL I will make a contribution to the FOH instead. I do understand that if people want to go that's  their choice . The way the fans have been treated is a disgrace esp alienating most of our young supporters (kids) , personally I would tell the SPFL / Betfred etc to ram their tickets , but that is just my opinion and others will have a different point of view on it. The team will no doubt hopefully put on a good show  ,and those that do go will make their voices heard. Good luck to the team and everyone that goes.

13 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Fixtures can still be rescheduled after tickets have been issued, so it doesn't necessarily stop common sense from prevailing.

Steam rolling in case common sense prevails.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Atmosphere akin to the moon. Total anti climax. 

I don't think that's a disadvantage to be honest. 

I wonder if the SPFL have totally misread it in their incompetence. I take it they get a cut off gate money so surely in their own interests to have a pair of proper kick off times?

33 minutes ago, jr ewing said:

Steam rolling in case common sense prevails.

Exactly how I see it. Doncaster and Co trying to make it as difficult as possible to revisit and change these stupid arrangements.

Edited by Deevers

Hackney Hearts
10 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Atmosphere akin to the moon. Total anti climax. 

I don't think that's a disadvantage to be honest. 

You may have a point. The two League Cup quarter-finals we won recently at Parkhead (2-0 and 1-0) were played in front of 21,000 and 19,000.

I think Celtic might be more fired up in front of 40 or 50k.

Still think it's a ridiculous decision,  just searching for a silver lining if it goes ahead as planned.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
4 minutes ago, Hackney Hearts said:

You may have a point. The two League Cup quarter-finals we won recently at Parkhead (2-0 and 1-0) were played in front of 21,000 and 19,000.

I think Celtic might be more fired up in front of 40 or 50k.

Still think it's a ridiculous decision,  just searching for a silver lining if it goes ahead as planned.

I'd rather take my chances with the 50k. Sport is nothing without atmosphere. Imagine the Ryder Cup without fans?

The SPFL seem unconcerned about that. It's not a fix because it doesn't suit Celtic either. 

It's just a lazy ill thought through plan. Logically the games can be played and there the thought process terminated 

Hackney Hearts
2 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

I'd rather take my chances with the 50k. Sport is nothing without atmosphere.

Oh definitely, so would I. I was just desperately searching for a potential positive, should this nonsense go ahead.

Looking back, I'm not sure we'd have won those two quarter-finals if there'd been 60,000 there, thats' all.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
2 minutes ago, Hackney Hearts said:

Oh definitely, so would I. I was just desperately searching for a potential positive, should this nonsense go ahead.

Looking back, I'm not sure we'd have won those two quarter-finals if there'd been 60,000 there, thats' all.

Identical view points. Can't say that happens often!

I think the other semi will be close to sell out. Don't know many Aberdeen fans who have said they won't go just the opposite. It's Rangers at Hampden. Other than train travellers and those seeking to get bladdered it's not the worst kick off time. Early start but it's bang in the middle of the weekend unlike our time. 

Just a really sad decision in my view. Anger has passed and left me disappointed. Showcase game has become a sideshow really 

letsalldothebeattie

Sadly seems to be stuck on 7:45pm kick off given a meeting about allocation and pricing etc is taking place today. Was hoping over the weekend some form of common sense would prevail but obviously not now. 

Next argument now will be pricing wouldnt surprise me to see them try price the rest of ours and Aberdeen support out of going 

5 minutes ago, Gambo said:

What is the point of this meeting 're tickets/pricing, if it is anything like the venue/date meeting it will have already been decided.

So the SPFL can issue a statement including saying;

”.... at a meeting with the four clubs all parties agreed that the best ticket allocation was ...... Hearts 15,000 & Celtic 35,000 ...”

Hearts immediately issue a statement which includes, “.. we will consider our next steps ..... including refusing to accept any tickets for this match ...”

Hearts fan say; “let’s paint Glasgow maroon with a George Square

party for those who could not get a ticket”!!

Open up all the lounges at Tynecastle, promote FOH and make it all about families.

I'd rather pay a one off payment to FOH to match the price of a Hampden ticket and spend drinking money at Tynecastle.

1 hour ago, Gambo said:

What is the point of this meeting 're tickets/pricing, if it is anything like the venue/date meeting it will have already been decided.

PR exercise to make it look like clubs are part of the solution/problem (take your pick). That's why Doncaster /SPFL said clubs were involved in the decision to play on the Sunday. Spread the blame. 

For me the club should state publicly they weren't consulted on the original decision and then their protests were ignored so there's no point in going to a meeting on ticketing/pricing just to be ignored gain. 

Edited by NANOJAMBO

3fingersreid
44 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

PR exercise to make it look like clubs are part of the solution/problem (take your pick). That's why Doncaster /SPFL said clubs were involved in the decision to play on the Sunday. Spread the blame. 

For me the club should state publicly they weren't consulted on the original decision and then their protests were ignored so there's no point in going to a meeting on ticketing/pricing just to be ignored gain. 

Agree with most of that but I feel they should go to the meeting and hand over a list of far more suitable dates and solutions and see how they handle it .

I hope Hearts and Aberdeen have met up and can go in singing from the same hymn sheet 

3 hours ago, NANOJAMBO said:

The PR exercise turned into his lies being exposed for what they were.  The clubs (all of them) were presented with the fixtures with absolutely no discussion or input about the date or the timings. Disgraceful and worthy of a sacking.

4 hours ago, hawaii said:

Open up all the lounges at Tynecastle, promote FOH and make it all about families.

I'd rather pay a one off payment to FOH to match the price of a Hampden ticket and spend drinking money at Tynecastle.

Best post I have seen. Sell out Tynecastle for the game and stuff Hampden 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
4 minutes ago, XB52 said:

Best post I have seen. Sell out Tynecastle for the game and stuff Hampden 

Its a good idea, but its still a late night for Primary School kids, the day before they go back, even if it ends in 90 mins.

And that only demonstrates even more what a moronic ko time this is.

...a bit disco

A fan has shared a letter with the Evening News that he sent to the SFA highlighting a potential solution to the Betfred Cup semi-final clash. Do you agree with his solution?

Dear Mr Doncaster

In the last few minutes I have read with interest further comments attributed to you with regards the decision to play both Betfred Scottish League Cup semi-finals at Hampden Park on the same day.

You are I’m sure by now fully aware of the widespread anger, disappointment and indeed disillusionment being voiced by many football supporters at this astonishing and in my view shameful decision.

Once again the loyal followers of our national game have been taken advantage of by those who simply refuse to take into account their best interests and treat them with the respect they deserve.

That you and your colleagues felt able to come to the decision you did yesterday without exploring EVERY SINGLE AVENUE open to you speaks volumes for the utter contempt with which you hold the lifeblood of our game.

That you are completely oblivious or perhaps do not care that thousands of Scottish kids will miss out on the opportunity to attend the upcoming semi-finals should be the thing you are most ashamed about but I can’t imagine that will cross your mind when you are holed up in your corporate box for BOTH matches whilst looking out over a half empty Hampden.

You commented during your most recent whitewash of a press conference that “if anyone had another solution, then great, we’d absolutely look at it”, well here you are Mr Doncaster, here’s a very straightforward solution which would allow the supporters of all 4 clubs involved in the semi-finals a far better chance to attend what should be a great occasion.

To go and support their team in what should be a showpiece in our football calendar, not squeezed in on a Sunday night because people can’t be bothered to get creative and work out a better solution.

League Cup Semi-finals Sunday 28th October 2018

Hampden Park

Rangers v Aberdeen

(move the game back to a time where by the Aberdeen fans can actually get to Glasgow using public transport e.g. 3pm)

Sunday 4th November 2018

Hampden Park

Hearts v Celtic

(I note that Kilmarnock play Aberdeen at 12.15pm for TV purposes so I would suggest a Hampden kick off time of circa 2.30-3pm. I further note that Queens Park play at home to Annan Athletic on Saturday 3rd November which is why I have not suggested that date. I’m sure given your assurances with regards 2 games being played within hours of each other that there will be no issues playing 2 games within 24 hours!).

SPFL matches Saturday 27th October

Dens Park Dundee v Hearts (goes ahead as planned at 3pm).

Sunday 28th October Fir Park Motherwell v Celtic (this fixture was scheduled for Parkhead. Simply swap the fixture between this and the one scheduled between the clubs at Fir Park on Saturday 5th December, a mere month later.

Given the kick off of Aberdeen v Rangers at Hampden have this kick off at 12.30pm meaning it is completed in advance of the semi-final and the fans will not be anywhere near each other.

I’m sure Police Scotland will be very happy to look after the 9-10,000 crowd in Lanark!. You sighted that they would not allow the fixture to be played at Parkhead the same day well here is a very simple answer to that.

Celtic v Hearts league match scheduled for Saturday 3rd November is postponed meaning that it is the only additional match needing a date into 2019. It could also be played, if there is a desperation to do so, on Wednesday 19th December 2018 as there are no midweek fixtures, either domestic or European that midweek.

The above “solution” is in my view extremely practical, very easy to implement, and without question in the best interests of Hearts and Celtic (and indeed the fans of both Rangers and Aberdeen who will be able to enjoy their semi-final in isolation and at a sensible kick off time). It ensures that the most people possible can attend both semi-finals which should be your aim as one of the ‘leaders’ of our game.

It also benefits two of our other clubs in Motherwell and Dundee as they get weekend fixtures against Hearts and Celtic. Win, win, win.

That should be your MO Mr Doncaster, you should be trying to better our game, a game that is often undermined and thrown under the bus. Here’s an opportunity to listen to the feedback of thousands of supporters and do the right thing. I won’t hold my breath but I intend to forward this to a number of other parties including the clubs involved and relevant journalists.

You asked for a “solution”, well here it is!

Yours,

Andrew Hawkins

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/our-region/edinburgh/fan-shares-letter-sent-to-sfa-suggestion-solution-to-betfred-cup-scheduling-1-4807955

5 minutes ago, ...a bit disco said:

A fan has shared a letter with the Evening News that he sent to the SFA highlighting a potential solution to the Betfred Cup semi-final clash. Do you agree with his solution?

Dear Mr Doncaster

In the last few minutes I have read with interest further comments attributed to you with regards the decision to play both Betfred Scottish League Cup semi-finals at Hampden Park on the same day.

You are I’m sure by now fully aware of the widespread anger, disappointment and indeed disillusionment being voiced by many football supporters at this astonishing and in my view shameful decision.

Once again the loyal followers of our national game have been taken advantage of by those who simply refuse to take into account their best interests and treat them with the respect they deserve.

That you and your colleagues felt able to come to the decision you did yesterday without exploring EVERY SINGLE AVENUE open to you speaks volumes for the utter contempt with which you hold the lifeblood of our game.

That you are completely oblivious or perhaps do not care that thousands of Scottish kids will miss out on the opportunity to attend the upcoming semi-finals should be the thing you are most ashamed about but I can’t imagine that will cross your mind when you are holed up in your corporate box for BOTH matches whilst looking out over a half empty Hampden.

You commented during your most recent whitewash of a press conference that “if anyone had another solution, then great, we’d absolutely look at it”, well here you are Mr Doncaster, here’s a very straightforward solution which would allow the supporters of all 4 clubs involved in the semi-finals a far better chance to attend what should be a great occasion.

To go and support their team in what should be a showpiece in our football calendar, not squeezed in on a Sunday night because people can’t be bothered to get creative and work out a better solution.

Hampden Park

Rangers v Aberdeen

(move the game back to a time where by the Aberdeen fans can actually get to Glasgow using public transport e.g. 3pm)

Sunday 4th November 2018

Hampden Park

Hearts v Celtic

(I note that Kilmarnock play Aberdeen at 12.15pm for TV purposes so I would suggest a Hampden kick off time of circa 2.30-3pm. I further note that Queens Park play at home to Annan Athletic on Saturday 3rd November which is why I have not suggested that date. I’m sure given your assurances with regards 2 games being played within hours of each other that there will be no issues playing 2 games within 24 hours!).

Sunday 28th October Fir Park Motherwell v Celtic (this fixture was scheduled for Parkhead. Simply swap the fixture between this and the one scheduled between the clubs at Fir Park on Saturday 5th December, a mere month later.

Given the kick off of Aberdeen v Rangers at Hampden have this kick off at 12.30pm meaning it is completed in advance of the semi-final and the fans will not be anywhere near each other.

I’m sure Police Scotland will be very happy to look after the 9-10,000 crowd in Lanark!. You sighted that they would not allow the fixture to be played at Parkhead the same day well here is a very simple answer to that.

Celtic v Hearts league match scheduled for Saturday 3rd November is postponed meaning that it is the only additional match needing a date into 2019. It could also be played, if there is a desperation to do so, on Wednesday 19th December 2018 as there are no midweek fixtures, either domestic or European that midweek.

The above “solution” is in my view extremely practical, very easy to implement, and without question in the best interests of Hearts and Celtic (and indeed the fans of both Rangers and Aberdeen who will be able to enjoy their semi-final in isolation and at a sensible kick off time). It ensures that the most people possible can attend both semi-finals which should be your aim as one of the ‘leaders’ of our game.

It also benefits two of our other clubs in Motherwell and Dundee as they get weekend fixtures against Hearts and Celtic. Win, win, win.

That should be your MO Mr Doncaster, you should be trying to better our game, a game that is often undermined and thrown under the bus. Here’s an opportunity to listen to the feedback of thousands of supporters and do the right thing. I won’t hold my breath but I intend to forward this to a number of other parties including the clubs involved and relevant journalists.

Yours,

Andrew Hawkins

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/our-region/edinburgh/fan-shares-letter-sent-to-sfa-suggestion-solution-to-betfred-cup-scheduling-1-4807955

Bang on, this is the answer although I've no doubt the SPFL will find a way to poo poo this solution .

10 minutes ago, ...a bit disco said:

Dear Mr Doncaster

Hampden Park

Rangers v Aberdeen

Sunday 4th November 2018

Hampden Park

Hearts v Celtic

Yours,

Andrew Hawkins

Brilliant, sadly will be totally ignored 

...a bit disco
1 minute ago, John Findlay said:

been set for Oct 28th or is the meeting still ongoing?

Nothing yet.

24 minutes ago, ...a bit disco said:

Dear Mr Doncaster

Hampden Park

Rangers v Aberdeen

Sunday 4th November 2018

Hampden Park

Hearts v Celtic

Yours,

Andrew Hawkins

This is a great solution unfortunately how can you reason with a bunch of people sitting round a desk with there underpants on there heads and with pencils up there noses who are making wibble wibble noises to each other.

29 minutes ago, ...a bit disco said:

Dear Mr Doncaster

Hampden Park

Rangers v Aberdeen

Sunday 4th November 2018

Hampden Park

Hearts v Celtic

Yours,

Andrew Hawkins

It is a bit more complicated unfortunately.

Flipping the Celtic v Motherwell fixtures means that on Wednesday 5th December, Celtic and Rangers would both be scheduled to have home games.  Doncaster has therefore ruled this out.  (The fan has mistakenly referred to Saturday 5th December - it's a Wednesday night).

There is a solution however.  

Flip the Celtic v Motherwell fixtures as proposed so that Celtic play Motherwell at Parkhead on Wednesday 5th December.

Move the Rangers v Aberdeen game scheduled for Wednesday 5th back to Thursday 6th December.  (The Tuesday is out due to games taking place the previous Sunday).

Then move Aberdeen v St Johnstone and Dundee v Rangers that are scheduled for Saturday 8th back to Sunday 9th December.

You can see why the SPFL don't want to do all that but it is a possible solution and is a better option than what they have proposed.