Edinburgh History

Maroon Sailor

9 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Is that where the Usher Hall stands now?

Yes, the old Lothian Road School which was demolished to make way for the Usher Hall

• Replies 19k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Radio Ga Ga

• luckyBatistuta

• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

luckyBatistuta
1 hour ago, 3fingersreid said:

That used to be a great wee cut through until it was blocked off .

can’t remember it being called the Territorial Arms ( possibly before my time) but I never frequented Stockbridge for a drink when I was younger . I wish my old man was still here , he was in the license trade for many many years and he’d love a chat with you given your knowledge of hostileries.

Miss that cut through too. I was driving past there not long after they blocked it off and there was a young lass on the pavement who had crashed in to the lamppost that had been put up. Obviously thought it was still open and drove straight in to it. I know it was bad of me, but I just couldn’t stop laughing.

1 hour ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Miss that cut through too. I was driving past there not long after they blocked it off and there was a young lass on the pavement who had crashed in to the lamppost that had been put up. Obviously thought it was still open and drove straight in to it. I know it was bad of me, but I just couldn’t stop laughing.

😂😂😂

btw I’m narrowing down that picture you posted , down to a choice of 6 places 😉

1 hour ago, luckyBatistuta said:

😂😂😂

13 hours ago, Lone Striker said:

I've never noticed these round concrete "bin holders" on a pavement before.    What was intended to go in these bins ?  Old coals/cinders maybe ?   It looks like just 1 per tenement, and you just leave all sorts of rubbish beside them. 

Fascinating photo actually 👍 

I vaguely remember during the war what we kids called "bone bins", it was for scrap food which was later used for pig feed. These bins may have been left over or still used for that purpose.

luckyBatistuta
1 hour ago, 3fingersreid said:

😂😂😂

I’m sure you’ll get there in the end🤣

luckyBatistuta
50 minutes ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

77965B75-554E-4BB9-8826-1C4969111134.jpeg

50 minutes ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

8B1BB2A0-C0E5-41EA-935A-F38E9E40A616.jpeg

47 minutes ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

Site of the North British Hotel, the wee lane on the right of the tram became Waverley Steps

92E73B70-1A6C-430E-82D1-3EEFBA00A5FF.jpeg

Crackers👏 Definitely not seen the first two before

luckyBatistuta

A wee challenge if anyone is up to it. Can anyone find any pictures of around 49 Potterrow in the 1930’s. It seems like it was where the mosque now sits.

1 hour ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

In what way? 

It just looks so sharp in comparison to other photos taken at that time 

Seymour M Hersh
10 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

It just looks so sharp in comparison to other photos taken at that time 

I suppose it does a bit.  

Edited by Seymour M Hersh

On 10/09/2021 at 15:38, luckyBatistuta said:

A wee challenge if anyone is up to it. Can anyone find any pictures of around 49 Potterrow in the 1930’s. It seems like it was where the mosque now sits.

A map from 1950 on the Edinphoto site shows 49 Potterrow and 25 Marshall Street as a public house on the corner of the two streets. If that's right, that means 49 was over and up the road from where the mosque is mate.

potter.jpg

The 1940 post office directory shows the public house as The Empire Bar (owned by a Mrs C W McKechnie).

Edited by Lemongrab
adding

On 11/09/2021 at 08:37, 3fingersreid said:

Foot of the walk , that picture has been very neatly tidied up image wise 

Looking at the subjects (most will have been moving) it looks like it'd be a relatively fast shutter speed compared to earlier methods in mid Victorian time which might explain the better resolution. 

luckyBatistuta
34 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

A map from 1950 on the Edinphoto site shows 49 Potterrow and 25 Marshall Street as a public house on the corner of the two streets. If that's right, that means 49 was over and up the road from where the mosque is mate.

potter.jpg

The 1940 post office directory shows the public house as The Empire Bar (owned by a Mrs C W McKechnie).

Thanks very much for this pal, appreciate it. I’m trying to find out about this address, as my wife has been doing some family research and her grandad seems to have lived there. 👍👌

luckyBatistuta
On 11/09/2021 at 08:37, 3fingersreid said:

Foot of the walk , that picture has been very neatly tidied up image wise 

59DD5599-6371-415C-9034-69F6391F83A9.jpeg

luckyBatistuta
3 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

59DD5599-6371-415C-9034-69F6391F83A9.jpeg

Awful lot of folks wearing our colours in leith back then. I tried this out on photos that I knew what the original colours were and it got them right.

Edited by luckyBatistuta

22 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Looking at the subjects (most will have been moving) it looks like it'd be a relatively fast shutter speed compared to earlier methods in mid Victorian time which might explain the better resolution. 

I just think it’s awfully clear in its image to have been done for that era . The wording on the bus is what I’d expect from a phone camera today , it might be it’s been sharpened up for a litho print and made its way into a publication and uploaded from there 🤷🏻‍♂️

I’m not having a go at anyone if that’s how it’s coming across 

30 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Thanks very much for this pal, appreciate it. I’m trying to find out about this address, as my wife has been doing some family research and her grandad seems to have lived there. 👍👌

Empire BAr Potterrow and Marshall St.png