Edinburgh History

Maroon Sailor

Maroon Sailor
17 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

Doesn't ring a bell, but I haven't got a clue so it very well might have been that. 👍

I think if I hear it I will know it. Never heard of George's Best. Probably named Franco's but I've a feeling it was an unusual name for a chippy.

• Replies 19k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Radio Ga Ga

• luckyBatistuta

• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Maroon Sailor

Been a few of this stadium posted but not sure when there has actually been Speedway on.

20210831_123849.jpg.ba079c25ea6a2ad368b5afcdc50fe0de.jpg

2 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Been a few of this stadium posted but not sure when there has actually been Speedway on.

I think it started around 1948 with the Monarchs, I know it was still going when I went to the army in 1952. My father and I went usually Saturday night, and if that picture was taken some time in the period I stated we could be somewhere either in or just out of that picture our stance was the first bend

Maroon Sailor
2 hours ago, Sharpie said:

I think it started around 1948 with the Monarchs, I know it was still going when I went to the army in 1952. My father and I went usually Saturday night, and if that picture was taken some time in the period I stated we could be somewhere either in or just out of that picture our stance was the first bend

The spectators were right on the trackside by the look of it.

Wouldn't get that close to any track in the UK now.

Mind you - you wouldn't get as many spectators either ! That looked a good crowd

Edited by Maroon Sailor

33 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

The spectators were right on the trackside by the look of it.

Wouldn't get that close to any track in the UK now.

Mind you - you wouldn't get as many spectators either ! That looked a good crowd

When I went with my young pals we stood right on the fence, when the riders hit the bend we had to duck as we got well sprayed by the fast flying gravel. It was a common tactic for the leader on bends to spray his opposition that way.It was mainly Australian and New Zealand riders, then we got a young guy named Turner I think from Gilmerton. Jack Young was a favorite, but became too well known for wee Edinburgh, Don Cuppleditch opened a candy store in Newington Road. One of my pals broke his leg breaking into it through the skylight. Eddie Lack opened a motor cycle repair shop in Leith Walk, Dick Campbell opened a repair shop in the Abbeyhill area. Quite a few of the original riders settled in Edinburgh. They did get good crowds on a Saturday night, it was a whole new experience being so close to speed, and there was an interest in a sport containing so many Aussies. You know I was four when the war broke out, but even that was a whole new experience of course for a child who didn't understand the tragedy of the whole thing, but the introduction of Americans, Canadians, Poles and many other ethnics was amazing for a growing boy, then things like Speedway, changed life again,. now I was into cycle speedway, football, and boxing. No TV, just movies, and theatre such as the Empire, Palladium, and Gaiety, life was simple but it was fun. No TV, no computers, no rules against teachers giving corporal punishment, old polis with helmets who were the boss, mischief a source of entertainment, I look now at  children and I feel sad what their life will be, but thank god it will be what they know.

Maroon Sailor

I remember a Naafi was here or the Colonel as they were always known as

20210831_190356.thumb.jpg.6bc421163ef94f9ecd39df14b59bb6d5.jpg

Edited by Maroon Sailor

SectionDJambo
6 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

I'm reasonably sure it stopped when Meadowbank was to be rebuilt for the 1970 Commonwealth Games. One of my mates at school was a keen fan of Edinburgh Monarchs, and I seem to remember him still going to Meadowbank around 1966/67.

27 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

I'm reasonably sure it stopped when Meadowbank was to be rebuilt for the 1970 Commonwealth Games. One of my mates at school was a keen fan of Edinburgh Monarchs, and I seem to remember him still going to Meadowbank around 1966/67.

I remember as a young lad in the 153 Waverley Cub pack, based at London Road Church in Abbeyhill, being part of a group of cubs who presented flowers to a group of Polish speedway riders who were racing against a Scottish international speedway side at Meadowbank probably around 1963/64. Quite a thrill for a wee lad who liked the speedway, to run out in front of a crowd.

Edited by argyjambo
Spelling

Maroon Sailor
35 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

20210831_200447.jpg

Governor Tarkin
1 hour ago, Maroon Sailor said:

I remember a Naafi was here or the Colonel as they were always known as

20210831_190356.thumb.jpg.6bc421163ef94f9ecd39df14b59bb6d5.jpg

That's the old Naafi building you can see.

Used to get my Friday night cans of Copperhead cider and Top Brass lager out of there when I was around 13 or 14.

15 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

20210831_200118.jpg

That’ll be Benny Rourke in last place just before blaming his bike. Good Jambo though so he isn’t all bad. 

4 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

Victoria Street to Grassmarket.

I’m used to being ignored 😁 it’s my namesake. Just me trying to be funny Bob. 
By the way, in the picture of Walt Disney and greyfriars Bobby, I think the other gentleman is William merrilees. A friend of walt and former chief constable of the Lothian's and Peebles constabulary.

22 minutes ago, westbow said:

By the way, in the picture of Walt Disney and greyfriars Bobby, I think the other gentleman is William merrilees. A friend of walt and former chief constable of the Lothian's and Peebles constabulary.

Jut like they say stupid is as stupid does, why I never made detective, what was your first clue constable the mans name is westbow.  Thats your last warning no more posting before your keeper comes in.:leveinnaturalorder:

Maroon Sailor
1 minute ago, argyjambo said:

Powderhall refuse processing plant?

Don't know what it is - just know it's on Broughton Road

1 minute ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Don't know what it is - just know it's on Broughton Road

Yep, saw it, & smelt it every day At Broughton Senior Secondary 1966 -1972. Jesus I'm getting auld!

The Real Maroonblood
19 hours ago, westbow said:

You might be right about Merilees.

He was quite small so difficult to gauge in the photo. 

4 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

You might be right about Merilees.

He was quite small so difficult to gauge in the photo. 

Edited by Sharpie

59 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

20210902_191801.jpg

Noticed the ice cream van there. I used to work on Tony's ice cream van. Going round Gracemount, Burdiehouse and Southhouse.

Actually, just out of sight on this road, i also used to work in Video World. Was next door to Frananne's hairdresser.

Edit: The motorcyclist is driving in the wrong lane?

Edited by Pap

Governor Tarkin
3 hours ago, Jeffros Furios said:

Lochend ? 

:rofl:

Nice try, Jeffros.

1 hour ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Allermuir, Bonaly and Caerketton.

Oxgangs.

Left to right in that photo Capelaw, Caerketton, Allermuir.