Edinburgh History

Maroon Sailor

14 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

I just think it’s awfully clear in its image to have been done for that era . The wording on the bus is what I’d expect from a phone camera today , it might be it’s been sharpened up for a litho print and made its way into a publication and uploaded from there 🤷🏻‍♂️

I’m not having a go at anyone if that’s how it’s coming across 

👍

• Replies 19k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Radio Ga Ga

• luckyBatistuta

• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

luckyBatistuta
Just now, Stuart Lyon said:

Empire BAr Potterrow and Marshall St.png

You’ve just got to love this place, never let you down. Always the first port of call, we’re such a knowledgeable bunch😁

Thanks Stuart, can’t wait to show her that

33 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Awful lot of folks wearing our colours in leith back then. I tried this out on photos that I knew what the original colours were and it got them right.

I appreciate the hard work you put into making it look  authentic. 😄

35 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Awful lot of folks wearing our colours in leith back then. I tried this out on photos that I knew what the original colours were and it got them right.

👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻Well played sir 

luckyBatistuta
2 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

I appreciate the hard work you put into making it look  authentic. 😄

1 minute ago, 3fingersreid said:

👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻Well played sir 

😁😁😁

I turned some photographs to black and white and then put them through the app and it pretty much got 99% of the colours right. So I’m now convinced that those leith colours are correct 😊🇶🇦🇶🇦🇶🇦

18 minutes ago, Stuart Lyon said:

Empire BAr Potterrow and Marshall St.png

Remember that pub when I worked marshal Street beat, it was a young couple husband and wife who ran it.Just up Potterow to the left side there was a murder of a person who lived in a stair there, a neighbor of ours was an insurance man and had been seen in the stair around that time. He was shocked when he was approached by detctives about the murder.The suspect not the insurance man was arrested shortly after.

luckyBatistuta
3 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

Remember that pub when I worked marshal Street beat, it was a young couple husband and wife who ran it.Just up Potterow to the left side there was a murder of a person who lived in a stair there, a neighbor of ours was an insurance man and had been seen in the stair around that time. He was shocked when he was approached by detctives about the murder.The suspect not the insurance man was arrested shortly after.

Not sure of the exact years he lived at 49 Potterrow, need to ask my wife. On the off chance, you didn’t happen to know an Alexander McKay who lived there Bob.

1 hour ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Thanks very much for this pal, appreciate it. I’m trying to find out about this address, as my wife has been doing some family research and her grandad seems to have lived there. 👍👌

no problem. 👍  Maybe @Stuart Lyon might have more info, and maybe if you're a really luckyBatistuta a photo?

Muireston Crescent, 1950

AA7259E5-3366-4BC4-B7C5-E0915DFE8E61.jpeg

25278B2D-0510-49C1-988E-63404E6FED00.jpeg

That's really good. I think the one I use has a tendency to go towards red too much, and gets confused with flat surfaces and thinks it's grass so slaps in some green. Generally if there are a lot of people close together it works really well. 

4 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Not sure of the exact years he lived at 49 Potterrow, need to ask my wife. On the off chance, you didn’t happen to know an Alexander McKay who lived there Bob.

No, actually never knew the names of the people that we said Hi to every day unless we actually dealt with them.

luckyBatistuta
57 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

No, actually never knew the names of the people that we said Hi to every day unless we actually dealt with them.

So he was a fine upstanding citizen then, runs in the family

:verysmug:

3 hours ago, BarneyBattles said:

Bob, a question if I may. Who was the scariest person you ever encountered as an Edinburgh polisman?

It was a man I won't name but he was mean, and cruel. He had a fight with a barman from the Black Bull on Leith Street, and after knocking him down attempted to gouge his eyes out.

Some time later he was charged with murdering his common law wife. He beat her to death.

While he was in custody in the old High Street police building I was assigned to sit with him in his basement cell, I was never told why but suspected suicide was feared. I take it I was supposed to stop him. Those cells were deep in the basement and you could have yelled all night for help. I assessed the situation and had pre planned that if he attempted suicide and did not involve me, I would holler as loud as I could but would make no attempt to stop him. My physical defence if attacked was to go for his mouth with the end of my baton and shove it down as far as I could. I often wonder if he was thinking I am not going to f... with this guy he looks crazier than me, so we had a quiet night, but I was not very happy.

There were lots of hard men around the southside, many in Niddrie, but to be honest I never found them scarey. Had lots of run ins with them, but did among some gain some respect, and I returned that, so I would not attempt to humiliate them, and they the same with me. Actually quite enjoyed a bit of action.

Edited by Sharpie

Governor Tarkin
10 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

South Bridge, Drummond Street

5F6C1A5C-1DD3-4053-A6AF-44DF6BA5FAE1.jpeg

6E2D46EB-2C97-4F46-822B-4F56C1859C9A.jpeg

I rebuilt a lot of that gable end on Drummond Street when I was a stonemason.

luckyBatistuta
11 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

I rebuilt a lot of that gable end on Drummond Street when I was a stonemason.

Why did you give it up?

Governor Tarkin

Why did you give it up?

To get some degrees then go to sea.

I thought they were only joking about the bumming. :(

11 hours ago, BarneyBattles said:

😂 It did cross my mind. I get the distinct impression not many came off best in an altercation with Bob.

You have to remember when I started in the Edinburgh police we had no hand cuffs, no radios our closest help was the neighboring beat man.  I had received excellent training in the army, some good hand to hand stuff. I had also been raised in the area, I was into boxing, and always kept myself physically fit, still do. I was not stupid I didn't go looking for trouble, and most of my confrontations were to control rather than fight to a win. I never lost an arrest, and yes I did deal with some hard cases, we of course were handicapped by the corroboration law, so could not arrest without a witness, some times just your manner, and the look on your face was enough. There were some of us that if it was known the going could get rough that would be selected, but the old adage if you look for trouble it will find you its true, so don't go looking.  

Just a wee story of who I am. When I worked the docks here in Canada I was driving with a young policeman. Longshoremen hated us, and to be honest I was not at that time thrilled with the job. We stopped and got out of the car,and as we did, somebody shouted from the ship take off the hat and the gun and come up here and we will see who is the real man.  I thought piss on it gave the young constable my hat and gun and went on the ship and up the stairs. Nobody approached, so I just turned and came back down. The union agents had been called and they were waiting for me, one shook his head and said that is the stupidest thing I have ever seen, don't do that again, and if anything similar happens we will take care of it. I dealt with them well for years after that. Never was challenged again.

11 hours ago, BarneyBattles said:

😂 It did cross my mind. I get the distinct impression not many came off best in an altercation with Bob.

You have to remember when I started in the Edinburgh police we had no hand cuffs, no radios our closest help was the neighboring beat man.  I had received excellent training in the army, some good hand to hand stuff. I had also been raised in the area, I was into boxing, and always kept myself physically fit, still do. I was not stupid I didn't go looking for trouble, and most of my confrontations were to control rather than fight to a win. I never lost an arrest, and yes I did deal with some hard cases, we of course were handicapped by the corroboration law, so could not arrest without a witness, some times just your manner, and the look on your face was enough. There were some of us that if it was known the going could get rough that would be selected, but the old adage if you look for trouble it will find you its true, so don't go looking.  

Just a wee story of who I am. When I worked the docks here in Canada I was driving with a young policeman. Longshoremen hated us, and to be honest I was not at that time thrilled with the job. We stopped and got out of the car,and as we did, somebody shouted from the ship take off the hat and the gun and come up here and we will see who is the real man.  I thought piss on it gave the young constable my hat and gun and went on the ship and up the stairs. Nobody approached, so I just turned and came back down. The union agents had been called and they were waiting for me, one shook his head and said that is the stupidest thing I have ever seen, don't do that again, and if anything similar happens we will take care of it. I dealt with them well for years after that. Never was challenged again.

luckyBatistuta
1 hour ago, Governor Tarkin said:

To get some degrees then go to sea.

I thought they were only joking about the bumming. :(

77A78020-AF89-496B-9744-A048D349FB14.gif

4 hours ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

1FD972D5-1B46-452B-A786-41DE4538E023.jpeg

75C64C8B-1265-4C2C-BB96-CF2A7509C584.jpeg

Late in my Edinburgh Police service I was doing some of the jobs like acting sergeant, station clerk and divisional driver at Braid Place. I also infrequently was the switchboard operator, just like that one in the picture. Man that was one of these jobs you thought how can a wee lassie do this so easy, and I am going out out my mind.

Shanks said no

May be an image of one or more people, people standing and outdoorscolourised picture of a Buttercup Poultry Farm half-tracker taken in the early 1930s.

Edited by The Frenchman Returns

9 hours ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

May be a black-and-white image of street and buildingsMay be a black-and-white image of car and text that says 'cards gifts travel goods LNO NSF381'May be an image of one or more people

British Linen Bank, founded in Edinburgh in the 1720's/1730's, became part of the Bank of Scotland in 1969, which means the first two photos are pre 1969/70.