Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Radio Ga Ga

• luckyBatistuta

• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 26/09/2021 at 09:53, The Real Maroonblood said:

Thanks for that as I was born in the Southside.

Very evocative. Must bring back amazing memories for some! 👍

One from Edinburgh’s football history.

The plaque is located just inside King George V park at the Logan Street entrance which used to be one of the entrances to the former Royal Gymnasium ground.

DAADB57C-F651-4018-905F-143086BC8E3C.jpeg

The Real Maroonblood
38 minutes ago, PortyBeach said:

Very evocative. Must bring back amazing memories for some! 👍

It certainly does.

49 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Didn't the Ritz show dirty films after they shut the Jacey? 

Unfortunately not. 😄

On 30/09/2021 at 13:50, Footballfirst said:

Here's the corresponding view today

southside.thumb.JPG.a2b1565a548207dd8f2ca2a2050cc2d4.JPG

Yes, after the Council and University colluded in their policy of “social cleansing”…

joondalupjambo
On 29/09/2021 at 19:55, Radio Ga Ga said:

32383A0A-721B-4578-AC4B-FBA42F453A62.jpeg

Crikey to think that I drank in there now and again at a lunch time back in the mid 70's.  It was a bit of a dive if I recall correctly? 

Edited by joondalupjambo

2 hours ago, joondalupjambo said:

Crikey to think that I drank in there now and again at a lunch time back in the mid 70's.  It was a bit of a dive if I recall correctly? 

A bit of a dive? Nice of you to compliment it compared to reality. 

joondalupjambo
14 minutes ago, Tazio said:

A bit of a dive? Nice of you to compliment it compared to reality. 

Was it ok?  I just seemed to remember an old style place, low ceilings, dark and worn looking.  Perhaps I was just used to up town establishments😀 Long time ago so memory might be playing tricks and I was thinking about the other pub further along near Granton 

Just now, joondalupjambo said:

Was it ok?  I just seemed to remember an old style place, low ceilings, dark and worn looking.  Perhaps I was just used to up town establishments😀 Long time ago so memory might be playing tricks and I was thinking about the other pub further along near Granton 

It was a shitehole. 

24 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

That would be the Anchor Inn, another classy establishment 😄

On 19/09/2021 at 18:20, Radio Ga Ga said:

DAB7A1CC-D70A-4B60-B05A-C8B1CD8DA0AC.jpeg

Stunning photo of the “Castle o’ Clouts” one of Edinburgh’s lost historic pubs. I believe this was near (or perhaps on) the site of the “Commie” Pool. 
Any more information on this pub, mate?

55 minutes ago, PortyBeach said:

Stunning photo of the “Castle o’ Clouts” one of Edinburgh’s lost historic pubs. I believe this was near (or perhaps on) the site of the “Commie” Pool. 

It says it was located at 104 St Leonard’s Street

Castle o' Clouts is the 4-storey light coloured stone building in the centre of this picture.  It was one of the oldest pubs in Edinburgh, built around 1724 and demolished in 1970.

This another photo of it, taken from Lutton Place

2D8BE212-749E-40E0-A9C5-E30EE005E4DF.jpeg

3 hours ago, joondalupjambo said:

The Anchor - even 40 years ago they had a full wire mesh across the bar area with a wee serving area to collect drinks. I had family that drank in there - and my grandad used to drink in the Willie Muir back in the 60s/70s.  :facepalm:

2 hours ago, PortyBeach said:

The Castle was situate on St Leonards Street opposite Lutton Place.  The Commie was about two blocks south on Park Road. The Castle was  a quiet wee local pub, had a few pints in there myself if I just wanted a quiet drink, and not knowing anyone in there. Another of my lifes well known places just by sight.

7 hours ago, NANOJAMBO said:

The Anchor - even 40 years ago they had a full wire mesh across the bar area with a wee serving area to collect drinks. I had family that drank in there - and my grandad used to drink in the Willie Muir back in the 60s/70s.  :facepalm:

I remember a large number of employees from United Wire Works which was situated next door to the Anchor Inn regularly had their liquid lunch in there back in the late 70's😊 

13 hours ago, joondalupjambo said:

This one - certainly has a reputation.

0_buildings_-_anchor_inn_+_west_granton_road_sepia_2012.jpg

8 hours ago, Sharpie said:

The Castle was situate on St Leonards Street opposite Lutton Place.  The Commie was about two blocks south on Park Road. The Castle was  a quiet wee local pub, had a few pints in there myself if I just wanted a quiet drink, and not knowing anyone in there. Another of my lifes well known places just by sight.

Thanks, Sharpie. Fascinating to get information from someone who actually knew the pub!

I’m guessing it sold Usher’s beer from the nearby brewery?

9 hours ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

It says it was located at 104 St Leonard’s Street

Castle o' Clouts is the 4-storey light coloured stone building in the centre of this picture.  It was one of the oldest pubs in Edinburgh, built around 1724 and demolished in 1970.

This another photo of it, taken from Lutton Place

2D8BE212-749E-40E0-A9C5-E30EE005E4DF.jpeg

http://www.edinphoto.org.uk/0_B/0_buildings_-_castle_o_clouts.htm

https://sites.google.com/site/southsideheritagegroup/the-south-side-story/castleoclouts

Great posts on Edinburgh’s pubs lads.

On the theme of lost Edinburgh, does anyone have information about the old Bristo Street pubs?

I’m aware of the “Woolpack” and the “Argyle”, but from old maps I saw at least another couple of pubs that have bitten the dust…☹️

wentworth jambo

16 hours ago, joondalupjambo said:

16 hours ago, Tazio said:

It was a shitehole. 

Drank in the "Wullie" for a few years late  80's / early 90's when it was run by Jackie Curran. Can only agree with @Tazio's fine summation....Friday night's karaoke in the upstairs function always ended with some sort of trouble upon which Mick the doorman would bring the Rottweiller's in 😄 

4 hours ago, Stuart Lyon said:

There was also a wee shop in that block owned by Mrs Craigie, It was basically a general store, she seemed to sell everything your mother would need on a Sunday when she had forgotten to get something at the Store. Mrs Craigie sold Globe lemonade, which was an attraction to children such as I because the bottle the product was in was globe shaped. She also had a variety of candies that Bill Watters on Preston Street didn't have, so she got our ration coupons for these treats. As you can possibly guess that wasn't yesterday.

Edited by Sharpie

periodictabledancer
4 hours ago, Stuart Lyon said:

This one - certainly has a reputation.

0_buildings_-_anchor_inn_+_west_granton_road_sepia_2012.jpg

I once stopped at the Jubilee next door for fish n chips on a drive to Silverknowes with the kids on a trip back home. They were horrified. 

15 minutes ago, periodictabledancer said:

I once stopped at the Jubilee next door for fish n chips on a drive to Silverknowes with the kids on a trip back home. They were horrified. 

It used to be said that it was the only pub in EH with a Camel Park for all the Arabs that frequented it.