• Maroon Sailor

• Radio Ga Ga

• luckyBatistuta

• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

been here before
7 hours ago, obua said:

Do you recognise the car with the roof rack, it looks like it come off that.

Or the blue van with the back door open.

Maroon Sailor

14 hours ago, Janbo1874 said:

Would you have a year for that top pic?

I worked as a plumbers apprentice 81-83 and we used to hire the big 3 piece ladders from the window cleaners shop which was located there.

Looks suspiciously like me humphing the ladders.

Y plate car so it wasn't 1981

Could be Robin Askwith - he was humping a few things being a Plumber's Mate

Edited by Maroon Sailor

joondalupjambo
18 hours ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

Trinity Academy and an extension 

5A3F1F8F-B6A9-4319-9365-55F280C53EA0.jpeg

5B3DB8CE-4929-4872-AA2F-0CD880C64319.jpeg

Not been on for a wee while and now see these photos and they sent a shiver down my spine.  Still remember so well walking up the stairs to the main entrance of the original school building on my first day of my first year of secondary.  A young, daft 12 year old in 1969.  Cannot say I liked school much but it was an ok place to be.  That first year was still fee paying would you believe.  

joondalupjambo
18 hours ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

DDE06A0E-344A-404E-816D-AAA9487F5C2C.jpeg

Heading towards the lights at Golden Acre?  The Shell sign is throwing me because I just cannot recall a garage there, obviously was one.  Was it up the side street,Royston Terrace?  Seem to recall a building there that was perhaps a garage or a workshop.  Looking on Google Maps there is a tyre shop there now by the looks of it so that might have been the site, not sure.

40 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

Heading towards the lights at Golden Acre?  The Shell sign is throwing me because I just cannot recall a garage there, obviously was one.  Was it up the side street,Royston Terrace?  Seem to recall a building there that was perhaps a garage or a workshop.  Looking on Google Maps there is a tyre shop there now by the looks of it so that might have been the site, not sure.

You’re spot on about their being a garage in Royston Terrace at one time, but what’s puzzling me is that the sign is on the corner of the next street down and I can’t remember if you could make a right turn into RT back then so you’d have to go up to the lights, turn right onto Ferry Road and then right again at Spiers pub. 

Also, my nephew started first year at Trinity 2 weeks ago and they’re still trying to get the kids to play rugby, but he’s all about the football and not interested. 

Governor Tarkin
20 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

20210828_075051.jpg

That looks like my old Gran standing at the bus stop.

Could be anyone, mind.

Home movie showing the track being laid and motor racing at Ingliston. No sound but worth a watch for some of the cars and lack of health and safety! There's even a Ford GT 40 (which was a Le Mans winner around this time) doing a demonstration lap. I never went but remember hearing the cars racing when we were coming back from visiting my grandparents in Glasgow. 

1 hour ago, Les Izemore said:

You’re spot on about their being a garage in Royston Terrace at one time, but what’s puzzling me is that the sign is on the corner of the next street down and I can’t remember if you could make a right turn into RT back then so you’d have to go up to the lights, turn right onto Ferry Road and then right again at Spiers pub. 

Also, my nephew started first year at Trinity 2 weeks ago and they’re still trying to get the kids to play rugby, but he’s all about the football and not interested. 

Re the garage, I think it was run by the Juner family. I played rugby at Broughton FP in the 70's and early 80's, alongside a guy called Davie Juner who, incidentally was a maths teacher at Trinity Acadamy. A nice wee link to the post regarding that educational establishment.

1 hour ago, argyjambo said:

Re the garage, I think it was run by the Juner family. I played rugby at Broughton FP in the 70's and early 80's, alongside a guy called Davie Juner who, incidentally was a maths teacher at Trinity Acadamy. A nice wee link to the post regarding that educational establishment.

Juner was the name I was trying to remember, thanks. 

I still can’t recall if Royston Terrace was always one way and entered from Ferry Road, anyone?

Your teammate DJ could probably get a part time gig teaching maths as there’s a national shortage of teachers in that subject. I believe Trinity has had sub teachers in maths for a few years. 

1 hour ago, Les Izemore said:

I still can’t recall if Royston Terrace was always one way and entered from Ferry Road, anyone?

Your teammate DJ could probably get a part time gig teaching maths as there’s a national shortage of teachers in that subject. I believe Trinity has had sub teachers in maths for a few years. 

One way entry from Ferry Road. I used to check the petrol pumps when l worked for Lothian Region. l seem to remember that although the frontage was small, the garage went back a long way.

6 hours ago, Les Izemore said:

When I was at Trinity it was a constant source of irritation that there wasn’t a football team and my year was stuffed full of very good players including future professionals and a Scotland international who played for many clubs including Hearts. 

joondalupjambo
3 hours ago, inspector said:

One way entry from Ferry Road. I used to check the petrol pumps when l worked for Lothian Region. l seem to remember that although the frontage was small, the garage went back a long way.

How far back are you going out of interest?  I used to cycle to Trinity from Comely Bank area and went up Golden Acre, turned right into Royston Terrace and out onto Ferry Road or sometimes along the wide pavement for a bit in front of the playing fields if was quiet.  Then coming back along Ferry Road turned left into Royston Terrace and then left at the end onto Golden Acre.  I am sure at one time it was two way, that or I was chancing it on my bike 🙂  I do recall it went one way at some point.  I cycled from 1969 for a couple of years before eventually bussing it.

5 hours ago, Les Izemore said:

DJ will be about 70 now, so I expect he's enjoying his retirement, just as I am.

1 hour ago, joondalupjambo said:

How far back are you going out of interest?  I used to cycle to Trinity from Comely Bank area and went up Golden Acre, turned right into Royston Terrace and out onto Ferry Road or sometimes along the wide pavement for a bit in front of the playing fields if was quiet.  Then coming back along Ferry Road turned left into Royston Terrace and then left at the end onto Golden Acre.  I am sure at one time it was two way, that or I was chancing it on my bike 🙂  I do recall it went one way at some point.  I cycled from 1969 for a couple of years before eventually bussing it.

Mid 80's. No idea what it is now. Also seem to remember a pub on the corner opposite of which I'm damned if l can remember it's name. A surname maybe? Did the inspection in there as well

joondalupjambo
2 minutes ago, inspector said:

Mid 80's. No idea what it is now. Also seem to remember a pub on the corner opposite of which I'm damned if l can remember it's name. A surname maybe? Did the inspection in there as well

Do you mean Spier's Bar?  

1 minute ago, joondalupjambo said:

Do you mean Spier's Bar?  That's the one. Would have bothered for the rest of the day👍

Governor Tarkin
24 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

20210829_091128.jpg

My brother lived in that cottage centre right for a number of years. Moved out a couple of years ago when the owner died and it was sold to developers.

We had many a wild evening in there.

3fingersreid
55 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

20210829_091245.jpg

Like the picture of the bridge at colinton , was this road widened to put in a bus lane eastbound ? Might just be the angle but it doesn’t look as wide as it is now 🤷🏻‍♂️

Maroon Sailor
1 hour ago, 3fingersreid said:

Like the picture of the bridge at colinton , was this road widened to put in a bus lane eastbound ? Might just be the angle but it doesn’t look as wide as it is now 🤷🏻‍♂️

I still think it's narrow along there !

Bus lane looks to have taken some of that grass away

3 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Any ideas what's going on here?  Date?

Not a clue what's going on. Horse sale perhaps? Late 1890s / early 1900s I think. 

6 minutes ago, Mister T said:

Not a clue what's going on. Horse sale perhaps? Late 1890s / early 1900s I think. 

The two horses closest on the left have big harnesses on & look like shire's to me, but what is going on I don't know.

Date wise looks good to me, as there what looks to be someone wearing a boater hat bottom right & they were in fashion from around the 1880's to the 1920's.

5 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Any ideas what's going on here?  Date?

All Hallows Fair, November 1905.