• Radio Ga Ga

• luckyBatistuta

• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Carl Fredrickson
21 minutes ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

CE978880-71A8-4805-AFD7-9EF7CCF1DB23.jpeg

I saw that photo this morning. I mind my dad parking there when we went to the St James Centre. Didnt appreciate the size of the place. 

Maroon Sailor

20210530_183239.jpg.c3cf82f6c926e81fbd9e7f69b423618d.jpg

Edited by Maroon Sailor

Carl Fredrickson
56 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

20210530_183239.jpg.c3cf82f6c926e81fbd9e7f69b423618d.jpg

Is that the east end of Portobello? It looks familiar but knowing me it could be Granton or anywhere else....

Maroon Sailor
7 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

Is that the east end of Portobello? It looks familiar but knowing me it could be Granton or anywhere else....

Eastfield

Carl Fredrickson
16 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Eastfield

Cheers. Not being from Edinburgh I had to Google Eastfield and it is where I thought it was. I seem to remember toilets on the site of the toilets in the picture but not the current ones. I wonder if my childhood memories are of the ones in the photo.

1 hour ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

Canning Street (destroyed by fire 1962)

43ABE410-BA9B-455E-8D3F-1D52A3AD0D76.jpeg

That would have been here. The wee wall looks like it follows the outline of the cinema.

canning.jpg

maroondevo52
38 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

That would have been here. The wee wall looks like it follows the outline of the cinema.

canning.jpg

Thats exactly where it was, we used to play dodgy in that car park below the offices, mind my old man telling me about folk running out of the cinema with jars of sweets ect when it was on fire.

20 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

20210530_183522.jpg

London Road at the junction of Easter Road & East Norton Place, with the colonies in the distance onthe left.

4 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

20210531_105729.jpg.f97ff9b03f59cfed47a7bf828cc5ee9e.jpg

Flummoxed by that one. Mibbee an incline, no discernible landmarks, possibly a bridge and maybe  cross roads further on. South Bridge looking South?

1 hour ago, Maroon Sailor said:

20210531_140905.jpg

Stayed in D Mains very briefly with my Aunt when my family moved back up from Barnsley. 43 Corbiehill Road. Corbiehill Road formed part of the 'Puggie's Turn'. A gala day race which started in the Main Street, along Quality Street, along Queensferry Road and back down Corbiehill Road. Don't know the distance but my old man ran it when he lived in D Mains.

50 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

20210531_143959.jpg

1989. Flats demolished 1993.

canmore-image-SC01678650.jpg

Maroon Sailor
50 minutes ago, westbow said:

Flummoxed by that one. Mibbee an incline, no discernible landmarks, possibly a bridge and maybe  cross roads further on. South Bridge looking South?

North Bridge

3 hours ago, EH11_2NL said:

Stayed in D Mains very briefly with my Aunt when my family moved back up from Barnsley. 43 Corbiehill Road. Corbiehill Road formed part of the 'Puggie's Turn'. A gala day race which started in the Main Street, along Quality Street, along Queensferry Road and back down Corbiehill Road. Don't know the distance but my old man ran it when he lived in D Mains.

According to Strava that I use when cycling it’s pretty much a mile. 

9 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

20210531_105729.jpg.f97ff9b03f59cfed47a7bf828cc5ee9e.jpg

Why is it that the roads always look wider in these old photos compared to how they actually are? Type of lens on early cameras? Perhaps a photographic boffin can explain. 

On 30/05/2021 at 19:55, Carl Fredrickson said:

Cheers. Not being from Edinburgh I had to Google Eastfield and it is where I thought it was. I seem to remember toilets on the site of the toilets in the picture but not the current ones. I wonder if my childhood memories are of the ones in the photo.

The toilets in the photo were replaced with a new building - with newer toilets.

Chimney in the background would be the old Joppa salt works and I'm sure in the 20's/30's there was a manually operated tram turntable here - turning the vehicles back towards town. Eric Lomax , the "Railway Man" grew up nearby,  I recall him mentioning it, and being fascinated by the mechanics as a boy, leading to  his lifelong railway association.

Edited by felix

Carl Fredrickson
10 minutes ago, felix said:

The toilets in the photo were replaced with a new building - with newer toilets.

Chimney in the background would be the old Joppa salt works and I'm sure in the 20's/30's there was a manually operated tram turntable here - turning the vehicles back towards town. Eric Lomax , the "Railway Man" grew up nearby,  I recall him mentioning it, and being fascinated by the mechanics as a boy, leading to  his lifelong railway association.

Cheers, do you know roughly when they were replaced? I was born in 1970 and had many a trip to the beach there but the toilets that are currently there arent the ones that I seem to remember. 

1 hour ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

Cheers, do you know roughly when they were replaced? I was born in 1970 and had many a trip to the beach there but the toilets that are currently there arent the ones that I seem to remember. 

The current building's a sewage pumping station (and public toilet) built in the 80's ; with planning permission for conversion to cafe/bar . There was also a semi-circular paddling pool behind the toilets, on the beach. Remnants are still there, never recall it being used.

Flats directly opposite (Coillesdene House) were built late 60's/early 70's after the original Coillesdene House (below left) was demolished to make way.

image.png.d4de5d0b4db28efdc50a6078916bf876.png

ArcticJambo

The original toilets were still there in 1986 as I came home pissed after last day of school. missed my stop, bus driver woke me up at the terminus.  Wandered along had a slash and passed out on the promenade wall again for a bit, until an auld wifie woke me up. :lol:

Edited by ArcticJambo

56 minutes ago, felix said:

The current building's a sewage pumping station (and public toilet) built in the 80's ; with planning permission for conversion to cafe/bar . There was also a semi-circular paddling pool behind the toilets, on the beach. Remnants are still there, never recall it being used.

Flats directly opposite (Coillesdene House) were built late 60's/early 70's after the original Coillesdene House (below left) was demolished to make way.

A couple of pics from earlier in the thread. The original Coillesdene House and a view from it dated 1917.

0-buildings-coillesdene-house-edwardian.

1B992518-1196-4A45-B550-8EDAB3E8F589.jpeg

7 hours ago, Tazio said:

According to Strava that I use when cycling it’s pretty much a mile. 

That would make sense. Dad said it was all the fittest lads locally that ran it.

Carl Fredrickson
8 hours ago, felix said:

8 hours ago, ArcticJambo said:

The original toilets were still there in 1986 as I came home pissed after last day of school. missed my stop, bus driver woke me up at the terminus.  Wandered along had a slash and passed out on the promenade wall again for a bit, until an auld wifie woke me up. :lol:

Many thanks - thought my memory was playing tricks on me.

Re the flats being built, it is a sin that they replaced such a nice looking building

10 hours ago, Lemongrab said:

A couple of pics from earlier in the thread. The original Coillesdene House and a view from it dated 1917.

0-buildings-coillesdene-house-edwardian.

1B992518-1196-4A45-B550-8EDAB3E8F589.jpeg

These are great pics - missed it first time, thanks for (re)posting. 

3 hours ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

Many thanks - thought my memory was playing tricks on me.

Re the flats being built, it is a sin that they replaced such a nice looking building

Absolutely. Altho not the worst - they dominate the skyline looking along the beach from Kings Rd/Seafield end.

The old building retained,  would have been a great endstop  to the bay.

43 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

20210601_185016.jpg.dd529e81b81354a6564bb6f8d20b58b7.jpg

I surely can't be the only one who reads this thread and wonders what has happened to the people in it? Where they are now? What they are doing? Where do they live? I would find that just as interesting as some of the pictures on this thread.

Maroon Sailor
5 minutes ago, EH11_2NL said:

I surely can't be the only one who reads this thread and wonders what has happened to the people in it? Where they are now? What they are doing? Where do they live? I would find that just as interesting as some of the pictures on this thread.

That was from 1971 so the kids in it will be late 50's early 60s

been here before
11 minutes ago, EH11_2NL said:

4 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

That was from 1971 so the kids in it will be late 50's early 60s

Concorde flew in and out to the Edinburgh Airshow in 1971 so I would guess thats what they're looking up at.

download.jpeg.jpg.a1c5aacf71af2aae7c758a39a01e1eec.jpg

Edited by been here before

Maroon Sailor
36 minutes ago, been here before said:

Concorde flew in and out to the Edinburgh Airshow in 1971 so I would guess thats what they're looking up at.

download.jpeg.jpg.a1c5aacf71af2aae7c758a39a01e1eec.jpg

It was the escalator in the photo above it.

It was being lowered in to Patrick Thomson's through the roof.

maroondevo52
1 hour ago, Maroon Sailor said:

It was the escalator in the photo above it.

It was being lowered in to Patrick Thomson's through the roof.

I liked the Concorde idea 😀

been here before
1 minute ago, maroondevo52 said:

I liked the Concorde idea 😀

Concorde towed it in on the end of a rope.

maroondevo52
Just now, been here before said:

Concorde towed it in on the end of a rope.

Brilliant 😁