Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Radio Ga Ga

• luckyBatistuta

• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Maroon Sailor

Another greyhound track I never knew existed in Edinburgh along with Stenhouse.

Only ever known Powderhall

luckyBatistuta
On 29/01/2021 at 19:57, Maroon Sailor said:

NCAP-000-000-081-163.jpg

Great pic MS, never knew there used to be flats on the gardens side at the bottom of Lothian road🤷‍♂️

Montgomery Brewster
9 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Great pic MS, never knew there used to be flats on the gardens side at the bottom of Lothian road🤷‍♂️

Eh?

that’s the back of the Caledonian hotel beside the station  and further to the right the flats were Wagamama’s is on the corner / the wotherspoons a bit further up 

luckyBatistuta
38 minutes ago, Montgomery Brewster said:

Eh?

that’s the back of the Caledonian hotel beside the station  and further to the right the flats were Wagamama’s is on the corner / the wotherspoons a bit further up 

So it is🤪 I was thinking that the hotel wasn’t added until after the station was demolished...again🤪🤣

20 hours ago, Jambo314 said:

Marine Gardens greyhound track?

I always thought it was a speedway track.

The original gardens had a "human zoo" - a tribe of Somali natives, living in mud huts and paid to prefom mock fights :unsure2:

Edinburgh's Marine Gardens in Portobello

1 hour ago, luckyBatistuta said:

So it is🤪 I was thinking that the hotel wasn’t added until after the station was demolished...again🤪🤣

They very cleverly, built 5 storeys on top of the original station shed.

Decent design by brilliantly named, Edinburgh resident/architect : George Washington Browne.

Seymour M Hersh
On 29/01/2021 at 21:11, John Findlay said:

Caledonian Station

Was it not known as Princes St Station John or was that just a slang name for it? 

6 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Was it not known as Princes St Station John or was that just a slang name for it? 

I believe that may have been one of the three names used for the Waverley.

As with the Balmoral hotel(North British) the Caledonian hotel was built by the Railway companies. Go to all the big stations and you will find outstanding hotels next to them.

York, Perth, Glasgow Central, St Pancras, Crewe, Carlisle. They went hand in hand.

Just now, BarneyBattles said:

Princes St station was the one on the site of the Caledonian Hotel. 

Agree on architecture though. A favourite of mine is the bar at Newcastle station - the centurion which was used as cells by the transport police at one point!

👍

Seymour M Hersh
2 hours ago, John Findlay said:

I believe that may have been one of the three names used for the Waverley.

As with the Balmoral hotel(North British) the Caledonian hotel was built by the Railway companies. Go to all the big stations and you will find outstanding hotels next to them.

York, Perth, Glasgow Central, St Pancras, Crewe, Carlisle. They went hand in hand.

I know that John I trained with BTH back in the 70's and worked in both the Caley and NB.  Some other notable BTH Hotels were Gleneagles, The Adelphi (Liverpool), Kyle of Lochalsh and Turnberry.

@Stuart Lyon Was chatting briefly with my old man last night; he was telling me about a stranger in a bar, the wee one at Nelson Place. (between Dublin Mews and Nelson Street) who swore on a horse one Friday night (it came in as stated).  This was back in the sixties - he couldn't remember the name of the bar.  Any ideas what the place would have been called back then? Please & Thanks.

1 hour ago, ArcticJambo said:

@Stuart Lyon Was chatting briefly with my old man last night; he was telling me about a stranger in a bar, the wee one at Nelson Place. (between Dublin Mews and Nelson Street) who swore on a horse one Friday night (it came in as stated).  This was back in the sixties - he couldn't remember the name of the bar.  Any ideas what the place would have been called back then? Please & Thanks.

Star Bar  ?

3 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

Star Bar  ?

Aye that's the place but even I've been in there (wasn't my cuppa if I'm being honest), unless it has always been called that as far back as the sixties. Hoping Stuart might be able to offer up some previous names. 👍

8 hours ago, Montgomery Brewster said:

Eh?

Thats rutland street &rutland square.

4 hours ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

Beatlemania 1964

FD7A8AFB-413C-4A50-8DCD-B12F71268AEE.jpeg

Is that Lothian road, maybe near Ali's Cave?  I'm sure @Stuart Lyon will know about 'The Motor Bar'. 🤞

11 minutes ago, Craig_ said:

Nice bit of Gill Sans there. 

Worked with a Signwriter, one of his favorites.

Edited by maroondevo52

16 hours ago, ArcticJambo said:

Aye that's the place but even I've been in there (wasn't my cuppa if I'm being honest), unless it has always been called that as far back as the sixties. Hoping Stuart might be able to offer up some previous names. 👍

It was known as the Star Tavern around 1965-1999

Star Bar.png

Edited by Stuart Lyon
add pic

14 hours ago, Lemongrab said:

Is that Lothian road, maybe near Ali's Cave?  I'm sure @Stuart Lyon will know about 'The Motor Bar'. 🤞

Now the Hanging Bat has previously been Mr Modos and before that

Uluru

Burnt Post The

Motor Bar

Motor Bar was a pay day treat for a pie and a pint plus a game on the pinball machine when I worked in Lothian House in 1967

10 minutes ago, Stuart Lyon said:

It was known as the Star Tavern around 1965-1999

Star Bar.png

Many thanks, Stuart.  Do you know the name previous to it beig called the Star Tavern?

5 minutes ago, ArcticJambo said:

Many thanks, Stuart.  Do you know the name previous to it beig called the Star Tavern?

No record of it as anything but I can't claim my records are totally accurate. I will say that I delivered groceries in that area from about 1963 to 1965 and it was the Star then. Doesn't look like a pub now but if you zoom in on window there is a Budweiser sign.

Star Bar 2 August2020.png

Edited by Stuart Lyon
additional info

3 minutes ago, Stuart Lyon said:

Now the Hanging Bat has previously been Mr Modos and before that

Uluru

Burnt Post The

Motor Bar

Motor Bar was a pay day treat for a pie and a pint plus a game on the pinball machine when I worked in Lothian House in 1967

Thanks Stuart, I thought it might be where the Burn Post was. 👍

3 minutes ago, Stuart Lyon said:

No record of it as anything but I can't claim my records are totally accurate. I will say that I delivered groceries in that area from about 1963 to 1965 and it was the Star then.

Good stuff, that would probably tie in with my dad's early drinking years so I'll put the bar's name to him and see if it rings a bell.  Thank you.

2 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

Thanks Stuart, I thought it might be where the Burn Post was. 👍

The Motor Bar was a very narrow pub; only half the width of the present one and it wasn't very deep either.

Just now, Stuart Lyon said:

The Motor Bar was a very narrow pub; only half the width of the present one and it wasn't very deep either.

That's something which was throwing me, it looked wee.

I P Knightley
On 23/01/2021 at 14:14, Maroon Sailor said:

20210123_141345.jpg

I remember when the St James Centre went up and all the outcry from the grown-ups about how hideous it was. I'd have been somewhere around 5-7 when it was opened and was intrigued and excited to see all these shops inside the one place. The adults were right, though; it was hideous. 

God, I feel old, knowing that I outlived it! :D 

SectionDJambo
37 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

I remember when the St James Centre went up and all the outcry from the grown-ups about how hideous it was. I'd have been somewhere around 5-7 when it was opened and was intrigued and excited to see all these shops inside the one place. The adults were right, though; it was hideous. 

God, I feel old, knowing that I outlived it! :D 

I remember attending day release classes, at the Sighthill College of Commerce, when the St James Centre was just opening up. We could drive to it at lunchtime, go for a bar lunch in a pub in there, the name of which I can't remember, and be back at Sighthill in plenty time for the afternoon class. 

These days it might take an hour just to go one way, outwith covid times of course.

It was a bit of a novelty for us in those days, seeing an indoor mall with all those shops in it. I also remember Larry Marshall being the resident compare for shows in the hotel for years. For younger viewers, he was a Scottish tv "entertainer" of some stature.

18 hours ago, Lemongrab said:

I think you are correct.The Timpson is still there I think.

1 hour ago, SectionDJambo said:

I remember attending day release classes, at the Sighthill College of Commerce, when the St James Centre was just opening up. We could drive to it at lunchtime, go for a bar lunch in a pub in there, the name of which I can't remember, and be back at Sighthill in plenty time for the afternoon class. 

These days it might take an hour just to go one way, outwith covid times of course.

It was a bit of a novelty for us in those days, seeing an indoor mall with all those shops in it. I also remember Larry Marshall being the resident compare for shows in the hotel for years. For younger viewers, he was a Scottish tv "entertainer" of some stature.

Haha.Larry Marshall - star of Jamies Scottish Evening - a tartan cabaret for tourists that ran for about 19 years !! 

Wasn't the bar the  Boston Bean Co ?? - Half decent iirc

SectionDJambo
48 minutes ago, felix said:

Haha.Larry Marshall - star of Jamies Scottish Evening - a tartan cabaret for tourists that ran for about 19 years !! 

Can’t remember but that doesn’t sound familiar.

1 hour ago, felix said:

Was the Boston bean co part of the hotel that was there. The King James hotel possibly.

1 hour ago, obua said:

Was the Boston bean co part of the hotel that was there. The King James hotel possibly.

Yeah, The Boston Bean was part of the King James, but you could enter it separately, via a  side door, near the Princes St entrance to the  mall, or from the hotel itself.

Was a decent bar from menory . Seem to remember it served some American beer on tap you couldn't get elsewhere and having a small, half decent function area.