Edinburgh History

Maroon Sailor

19 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

My wife said she bought dishes from that shop but can’t remember the name of the shop.

I’ve just read that to my wife , her reply was , Nnnnooooooooooo!!!!

Shes trying to remember it as it was where she bought a wee ornament for her mum when she was a wee girl , sadly lost her mum recently and the name , or lack of it , is driving her mad 

• Replies 19k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Radio Ga Ga

• luckyBatistuta

• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Actually now that I'm looking at the Calton Jail photo it appears its creating an illusion that there is hall between the blocks but instead now that I've seen your photo there isn't (well not as long and as high), and that it might in fact be the new GPO on the other side of Calton Road.

Anyway, it's a very useful photo. 👍

2 minutes ago, ArcticJambo said:

Actually now that I'm looking at the Calton Jail photo it appears its creating an illusion that there is hall between the blocks but instead now that I've seen your photo there isn't (well not as long and as high), and that it might in fact be the new GPO on the other side of Calton Road.

Anyway, it's a very useful photo. 👍

From the Facebook page it was posted on.

Coals from Tranent, 1849.

Although this wonderful image by Ross & Thomson is actually entitled " (Edinburgh) From The North Bridge" what actually caught our eye was the smaller details rather than the overall view. 
Taking us back nearly 170 years, we get a great view of one of the first rail depots down by Calton, run by Riggenhead Colliery (in Tranent) at the North British Railways depot. As an interesting aside, the same year that this photograph was taken an employee of NBR was accused of stealing a tin containing company money that was discovered in one of the covered sheds the next day (perhaps one of those shown here?). Sadly, when the police tried to find him the next day to apprehend him, he was found dead in a field near Jock's Lodge, having swallowed laudanum. 
We also get a fantastic view of High Calton and over towards Regent Bridge with the Regent Hotel to the back left of the photo. To the right of the bridge's arch is the old GPO which served as the main post office for Edinburgh until 1861.
Also worth noting is the clean-as-a-whistle Martyrs' Monument. When the photograph was taken it was only five years old and the smoke of Auld Reekie had not had a chance to blacken its stone. And, rather poignantly, we get a view straight up to Rock House, one of the birthplaces of photography and home to Hill and Adamson during their brief but stellar partnership. Adamson had been dead for about a year when this image was snapped.
The most amazing thing about this photograph though is the everyday feel that it has - sacks lying outside buildings waiting to be picked up, the ubiquitous Edinburgh laundry hanging out windows drying, wagons of coal ready to be delivered ( at 10s 6d, if you are interested!). If only we could zoom in even closer to read the name on the building to the right of centre. It looks intriguing with its huge chimney stacks! It is rare to find a photo that draws you in and pulls you back in time to the extent that you feel you are actually there but this one certainly does!

Image: Royal Collection Trust.

Nice one, Tazio. Thanks.

I need to get myself a copy of Calton Jail as I can't seem to get any online info as to when they knocked down the west wing of the new jail. Think it's around 1896 but, well, ....

1 hour ago, ArcticJambo said:

Any date for this one, Radio?  I've been trying to date some of the early photos of that area/Calton Jail; the original GPO doesn't seem to have the Hall bit between the two blocks, alrthough I'll admit I haven't yet downloaded it and had a proper look yet.

It says it was taken around 1850, hard to believe 170 years ago!

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, 3fingersreid said:

I’ve just read that to my wife , her reply was , Nnnnooooooooooo!!!!

Shes trying to remember it as it was where she bought a wee ornament for her mum when she was a wee girl , sadly lost her mum recently and the name , or lack of it , is driving her mad 

It's starting to drive me mad as well.

wentworth jambo
1 hour ago, JWL said:

Spent many a lunchtime in 'the maze' during school term and during the holidays. If not in there we'd be up Vicky Park for a kickabout.

Vicky Park was luxury - even with all the dug 5hite. My skills were honed on the “pitch” at the front of the Fort - backing in to Portland Street. Concrete floor, brick and stone walls with goals painted on 👍

55 minutes ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

It says it was taken around 1850, hard to believe 170 years ago!

👍

50 minutes ago, wentworth jambo said:

Vicky Park was luxury - even with all the dug 5hite. My skills were honed on the “pitch” at the front of the Fort - backing in to Portland Street. Concrete floor, brick and stone walls with goals painted on 👍

I also played on the pitch when I was growing up. It’s funny how everyone just called it the pitch.

Edited by obua

The Real Maroonblood
41 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

😂😂 sorry 

No problem mate.

It’s keeping me busy trying to find the name.

wentworth jambo
1 hour ago, obua said:

I also played on the pitch when I was growing up. It’s funny how everyone just called it the pitch.

Can’t help thinking we must have crossed paths @obua - there weren’t a huge amount of Jambos round the Fort at that time

11 minutes ago, wentworth jambo said:

Can’t help thinking we must have crossed paths @obua - there weren’t a huge amount of Jambos round the Fort at that time

I’m about ten years older than you I think, I moved away early seventies.

10 hours ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

153369F2-3487-452F-BBE8-649904C79635.jpeg

It just looks so much better then than it does now and not that long after the end of WW2 too. 

I'd get that original tram out of its museum in England and start making it again. Have them running from the Foot of the walk to Morningside. Quite frankly, the current trams are a vanilla eyesore. Just so meh!

Edited by ArcticJambo

joondalupjambo
On 25/01/2021 at 16:44, NANOJAMBO said:

Not been in the Brass Monkey for a few years now, has it still got the cinema room?  :pleased:

joondalupjambo
On 25/01/2021 at 14:28, Maroon Sailor said:

20210125_142814.thumb.jpg.fdcea4bd096a450215af65176274fd35.jpg

This one is really bugging me.  At a first quick glance I thought it was my old primary, Flora Stevenson's but that has some small round windows on it's frontage and then I cannot get a clear sight of the bus number to give me another clue.  Anyone get this one?

23 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

Not been in the Brass Monkey for a few years now, has it still got the cinema room?  :pleased:

I couldn't tell you the last time I was in there. :sad3:

been here before
13 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

This one is really bugging me.  At a first quick glance I thought it was my old primary, Flora Stevenson's but that has some small round windows on it's frontage and then I cannot get a clear sight of the bus number to give me another clue.  Anyone get this one?

Loads of old schools like that. I thought at first it was the one in Longstone Road.

But its not.

4 hours ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

Wester Broom winter 62/63

C9BA532C-57F2-41A1-BB46-5A5748800E4A.jpeg

I would say my house was around the third house on the left, the left door as you walked in, 25 Wester Broom Drive, thanks for the picture brings back memories of happier days with a sparkling future ahead.

36 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

Could it be Bonnington road?

46 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

This is Gorgie. The site of the Aldi .Taken on the chip shop corner.

1 hour ago, joondalupjambo said:

Tynecastle annexe

joondalupjambo

Well seems a lot of us are not sure on the old school building.  I see a link in Google to a photo that is available on Facebook but I do not use that.    It ties in with jb102's reply.  Guess somebody can see it via their Facebook access to confirm.  

https://www.facebook.com/login/?next=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Flostedinburgh%2Fposts%2Fthe-old-gorgie-school-later-the-site-of-aldis-on-gorgie-roadtaken-in-the-mid-to-%2F2301919049865765%2F

5 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

Well seems a lot of us are not sure on the old school building.  I see a link in Google to a photo that is available on Facebook but I do not use that.    It ties in with jb102's reply.  Guess somebody can see it via their Facebook access to confirm.  

https://www.facebook.com/login/?next=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Flostedinburgh%2Fposts%2Fthe-old-gorgie-school-later-the-site-of-aldis-on-gorgie-roadtaken-in-the-mid-to-%2F2301919049865765%2F

The roofs that you can see above the bus are the bottom of Robby Ave. 

10 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

From the FB page. 

The old Gorgie School - later the site of Aldi's on Gorgie Road
Taken in the mid-to-late eighties, judging by the bright and highly-flammable looking clobber worn by the lassie (at least I think it's a lassie?!) in the foreground.
We understand Gorgie spent its latter years named Pentland Annex and acted as an annex/feeder for a number of other schools in the district, including nearby Tynecastle. It closed for good in 1989.
Not to be confused with Dalry Primary, which looks very similar and still stands.

When they first knocked it down, the shop they built was a Super Save, then it was Sommerfield for a while before Aldi took it over.

joondalupjambo

Thanks for all the replies about the school and well done jb102 for getting in first with the right one.  I know this thread is not meant to be a quiz but for some of the photos it is good to have a wee game of discovery ☺️  And a big thanks to all of you who post photographs, especially Maroon Sailor and the amount of time he invests to make it so interesting for us oldies.

20 hours ago, wentworth jambo said:

Used to get some kickabouts up Vicky Park. A few of us were on our way back from there when we heard about the Ibrox disaster. Played on the pitch many a time but played more down at the flats, Cairngorm and Grampian House.

4 hours ago, joondalupjambo said:

Went here in 1986,Tynecastle Annexe,opposite Wheatfield road,chippy on the corner.

Fxxx the SPFL
4 hours ago, weegranty said:

Went here in 1986,Tynecastle Annexe,opposite Wheatfield road,chippy on the corner.

1968 for me just the first year then you moved to the big Tynie School for 2nd year onwards

5 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Some aerial phots

175723.jpg.972ba6230fdcae3c905b758184d49fdc.jpg

The building with the chimney is Chancelot Mill, before they moved to the docks.