Edinburgh History

Maroon Sailor

8 minutes ago, Tazio said:

The corner of the building is roughly where the revolving door entrance to John Lewis is now. 

Even though you've told me that now I could look at that all day and not see it that way.

• Replies 19k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Radio Ga Ga

• luckyBatistuta

• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just now, JWL said:

Even though you've told me that now I could look at that all day and not see it that way.

Not easy as pretty much every building in the photos has gone. 

16 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Not easy as pretty much every building in the photos has gone. 

It's like looking at an optical illusion, no matter how many times I look at the picture I'm just not getting the true scene as it is now.

Looking for a bit of help , 

can anyone remember the name of the china shop next to McLaren the locksmith on Bread street , late 70’s early 80’s ? 

wentworth jambo
12 hours ago, obua said:

Looks like the fort leith.

Aye it is - looking out towards North Fort Street. Those tenements the other side of the wall are where Fort Primary School was. Grew up in the Fort and used to play "archie" in the building in the foreground - football where the goal was the arch either end of the covered area 😃

Edited by wentworth jambo

2 hours ago, wentworth jambo said:

Aye it is - looking out towards North Fort Street. Those tenements the other side of the wall are where Fort Primary School was. Grew up in the Fort and used to play "archie" in the building in the foreground - football where the goal was the arch either end of the covered area 😃

I grew up there as well, when were you there I was there 60s into early 70s.

wentworth jambo
17 minutes ago, obua said:

I was born in 69 and moved out when I was 15, in 84

26 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Not a clue.

Anyone ?

Foot of Leith Walk I think. Here's one showing a similar lamp thing at the beginning of the Kirkgate.

1891-duke-gt-junction-st.jpg

Fxxx the SPFL
5 hours ago, wentworth jambo said:

during lockdown me and the missus were doing walkabout and never knew this existed they have two or three cannons there not sure if they were when you were a laddie.

5 hours ago, obua said:

I went to Fort Primary from 1966 to 1973

wentworth jambo
18 hours ago, **** the SPFL said:

during lockdown me and the missus were doing walkabout and never knew this existed they have two or three cannons there not sure if they were when you were a laddie.

Within the old Fort walls, as well the flats, there were 3 or 4 concrete mazes for kids to play in (would never get past H&S nowadays)...each of them had a cannon or two in for kids to climb over / play on....think somewhere earlier in the tread, there was a photo showing one of these mazes

5 minutes ago, wentworth jambo said:

Within the old Fort walls, as well the flats, there were 3 or 4 concrete mazes for kids to play in (would never get past H&S nowadays)...each of them had a cannon or two in for kids to climb over / play on....think somewhere earlier in the tread, there was a photo showing one of these mazes

Here's one of the canon. From 1976.

canon.jpg

15 minutes ago, obua said:

That brings back childhood memories, thanks for that.

In case you want to go and sit on one, for old time's sake :D , the canon have been restored are are now in place in the new development. You can see them from North Fort street.

canon2.jpg

13 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

In case you want to go and sit on one, for old time's sake :D , the canon have been restored are are now in place in the new development. You can see them from North Fort street.

canon2.jpg

Yes I passed them recently, I resisted the urge to climb on them again 😋.

wentworth jambo
47 minutes ago, obua said:

Yes I passed them recently, I resisted the urge to climb on them again 😋.

@obua - you must remember "the big maze" then...no cannons in that one but higher walls and some sort of turret thing at the top....used to be able to jump from the old fort walls on to the thinner maze walls - thinking about it now, absolutely risking breaking your neck !!!

On 26/01/2021 at 09:05, 3fingersreid said:

Looking for a bit of help , 

can anyone remember the name of the china shop next to McLaren the locksmith on Bread street , late 70’s early 80’s ? 

i remember the shop but not the name, for some reason I seem to feel it was a womans first name, but I may be wrong.

4 minutes ago, wentworth jambo said:

@obua - you must remember "the big maze" then...no cannons in that one but higher walls and some sort of turret thing at the top....used to be able to jump from the old fort walls on to the thinner maze walls - thinking about it now, absolutely risking breaking your neck !!!

Yes I remember that,  lots of scrapes and bruises .

5 hours ago, wentworth jambo said:

Spent many a lunchtime in 'the maze' during school term and during the holidays. If not in there we'd be up Vicky Park for a kickabout.

5 hours ago, Sharpie said:

i remember the shop but not the name, for some reason I seem to feel it was a womans first name, but I may be wrong.

Hiya Bob , my good lady ( who’s the one trying to remember it) thinks the name Mathison’s sounds familiar ? 

6 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

Hiya Bob , my good lady ( who’s the one trying to remember it) thinks the name Mathison’s sounds familiar ? 

No that don't do it, my wife bought a lot of her dishes there when we bought our house in Wester Broom in 1960. My mother used to drop in and look around when she got her St Cuthberts dividend at the store in Bread Street.

The Real Maroonblood
11 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

11 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

My wife said she bought dishes from that shop but can’t remember the name.

Edited by The Real Maroonblood

The Real Maroonblood
12 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

My wife said she bought dishes from that shop but can’t remember the name of the shop.

7 hours ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

00ED34E3-C21B-40D9-82A7-F681D9BA7D2B.jpeg

Any date for this one, Radio?  I've been trying to date some of the early photos of that area/Calton Jail; the original GPO doesn't seem to have the Hall bit between the two blocks, alrthough I'll admit I haven't yet downloaded it and had a proper look yet.