Edinburgh History

Maroon Sailor

Just now, Mister T said:

Looks like Edinburgh Knitwear when you flip the photo to negative. 

PSX_20210207_204208.jpg

Or kiltmaker?

• Replies 19k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Radio Ga Ga

• luckyBatistuta

• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

50 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

You wouldn't get detectives going in if there was chance they would be asked to pay.

😂😂

Carl Fredrickson
51 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

Certainly looks like the New Victoria cinema down on the right, but not technically Newington, probably Clerk Street from about West Nicolson Street.

I bow to your superior knowledge of names of Edinburgh areas. I am from out of town and always referred to the area upto the Surgeons Hall as Newington. Glad I havent had to provide directions to anyone :)

1 hour ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

I bow to your superior knowledge of names of Edinburgh areas. I am from out of town and always referred to the area upto the Surgeons Hall as Newington. Glad I havent had to provide directions to anyone :)

Newington pretty well stopped at West Preston Street, I know so well because I was born on the other side of the tracks, people from Newington would not have accepted any ownership of a wee snottery nosed laddie from the Southside. My knowledge to be honest is restricted to these areas from childhood and police service.

Carl Fredrickson
1 minute ago, Sharpie said:

Newington pretty well stopped at West Preston Street, I know so well because I was born on the other side of the tracks, people from Newington would not have accepted any ownership of a wee snottery nosed laddie from the Southside. My knowledge to be honest is restricted to these areas from childhood and police service.

Thanks Bob. Your knowledge of the area (despite your physical absence) is far better than mine. So the area from West Preston Street South, is that Newington? The area North of it? Thanks 

46 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

Thanks Bob. Your knowledge of the area (despite your physical absence) is far better than mine. So the area from West Preston Street South, is that Newington? The area North of it? Thanks 

Its all local naming, for me as a youngster  it was pretty well Newington from West Preston Street to Newington  Station. But in later years Salisbury Place to again the Station it was pretty well known as Mayfield, after the station it became Craigmillar Park. North from West Preston Street was pretty well known as the front street, until it got way down and became the Bridges. Now if I was in your situation visiting there and giving directions using my knowledge the questioner would think I had just landed from Mars.

J.T.F.Robertson

10 hours ago, Sharpie said:

The only time I had anything to do with beer in there was when someone, later a prisoner had thrown some at me.

My mum and dad were known to frequent there on the odd Saturday night and he was a hibbie! ;)

Edited by J.T.F.Robertson

Carl Fredrickson
8 hours ago, Sharpie said:

Its all local naming, for me as a youngster  it was pretty well Newington from West Preston Street to Newington  Station. But in later years Salisbury Place to again the Station it was pretty well known as Mayfield, after the station it became Craigmillar Park. North from West Preston Street was pretty well known as the front street, until it got way down and became the Bridges. Now if I was in your situation visiting there and giving directions using my knowledge the questioner would think I had just landed from Mars.

Thanks Bob, that is very helpful. I wasnt sure where the boundaries of some of these areas are or were. 

19 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

20210208_143140.jpg

If that’s where I think it is, Bankhead Ind, Estate, then it is where Golden Wonder manufactured their peanuts. Used to go down there and help ourselves to them in the early 70’s when they were out the back cooling down. A wee bit further along was the Schweppes factory bused to nip over the fence and pinch the empty soda syphons and take them to the Off Licence and exchange them for the deposit money, happy days. Although my mother would have skelpt my arse if she knew what we were up to n

Maroon Sailor
5 minutes ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

If that’s where I think it is, Bankhead Ind, Estate, then it is where Golden Wonder manufactured their peanuts. Used to go down there and help ourselves to them in the early 70’s when they were out the back cooling down. A wee bit further along was the Schweppes factory bused to nip over the fence and pinch the empty soda syphons and take them to the Off Licence and exchange them for the deposit money, happy days. Although my mother would have skelpt my arse if she knew what we were up to n

I vaguely remember it - always think of Burtons when I think of this area

2 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

I vaguely remember it - always think of Burtons when I think of this area

My old flat in the Calders looked onto the Burton factory, used to be great smells when they were baking the biscuits and also from the Milanda (sp) bread factory which was about 300 yards further west 

5 minutes ago, cheetah said:

Turning into Slateford Road at Ardmillan Terrace, Tram 58 trundles by a typical Edinburgh street scene of the Fifties, complete with cyclist keeping well clear of the tram lines.

Tram turning from Ardmillan Terrace onto Slateford Road.

Edited by Lemongrab
(Beaten to it by RGG)

Turning onto Slateford Road.

Did the buses adopt the old tram numbers when they replaced them I wonder? The number 4 bus goes along here to this day. 

Byyy The Light
3 minutes ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

Did the buses adopt the old tram numbers when they replaced them I wonder? The number 4 bus goes along here to this day. 

Was thinking the same. According to the trams map shared above the 11 and 15 go to Fairmilehead which is the same for the buses now.

7 minutes ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

I think they must have in a lot of cases, love that old tram map a few posts up, that's a proper tram network.

Maroon Sailor
14 minutes ago, cheetah said:

I think they must have in a lot of cases, love that old tram map a few posts up, that's a proper tram network.

Just worked out the circular 13 and 14 route

It's like a Granton loop - one clockwise and the other anti clockwise then up to Churchill

20 minutes ago, Stuart Lyon said:

Abbey Strand, Holyrood - could the end building be the pub shown on this map

Abbey Strand 1848-72 copy 2Pub Names.jpg

Could well be Stuart, the building to the very last right was apparently a brothel at one time. 

10 minutes ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

Could well be Stuart, the building to the very last right was apparently a brothel at one time. 

a brothel so close to the Palace - amazing

1 hour ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Just worked out the circular 13 and 14 route

It's like a Granton loop - one clockwise and the other anti clockwise then up to Churchill

Yes thats exactly how they were, as kids we used to on a Sunday afternoon get seats upstair right at the front of the tram and spend a couple of hours or so on the tram doing the circuit. If you were on a tram with what was called a box at the upstairs front, because it had a door that would close it off you could be tempted tp get up to nonsense, that stopped suddenly with the driver coming upstairs and advising if any more nonsense you would be walking home from Granton. On reaching twelve and now going to Boroughmuir School, the 13 and 14 became the transport to and from school. I when I think of it rally liked the trams, they seemed so genteel to noisy smoky roll about in them buses.

7 minutes ago, Stuart Lyon said:

a brothel so close to the Palace - amazing

From the website I took the picture from -

Abbey Strand has a very interesting history for being such a little street. It is believed that the oldest part of the buildings was built towards the end of the fifteenth century and may have been part of the Abbot's Mansion.

The buildings on the street have variously been used as an almshouse, a weapons store, breweries, taverns and even a brothel (has anybody heard of Lucky Spence?). It was also a place of refuge for debtors until 1880 and, of course, provided apartments for families to live in ( an extra floor being added in the early 1800s allowing another 25 families to be squeezed in).

The  brothel was in the building shown at the end of the street.

24 minutes ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

From the website I took the picture from -

Abbey Strand has a very interesting history for being such a little street. It is believed that the oldest part of the buildings was built towards the end of the fifteenth century and may have been part of the Abbot's Mansion.

The buildings on the street have variously been used as an almshouse, a weapons store, breweries, taverns and even a brothel (has anybody heard of Lucky Spence?). It was also a place of refuge for debtors until 1880 and, of course, provided apartments for families to live in ( an extra floor being added in the early 1800s allowing another 25 families to be squeezed in).

The  brothel was in the building shown at the end of the street.

In this photo Woodcocks is called The Auld Tally Ho you can make it out on the sign above the door if you zoom in and you can see the Holyrood Restaurant to the right.

Auld Tally Ho Pub Abbey Strand, Holyrood 1903.jpeg

On 26/01/2021 at 17:05, 3fingersreid said:

Looking for a bit of help , 

can anyone remember the name of the china shop next to McLaren the locksmith on Bread street , late 70’s early 80’s ? 

Mathers. This has been driving me nuts as was in it a few times with ex wife early 80s.  My mum 88, was in it hundreds of times and could even remember an argument with the shop assistant but couldn't remember name of shop. Bread street photo on lost edinburgh. Couldnt make out shop but someone remembered name. 

Love this thread. 

Maroon Sailor

Anyone know the history of that clock. Seems to the one constant around that area. Tried reading up on it but can't find much on it

20210208_174245.jpg.78701a7b3a752c314ccb79234ed11d64.jpg

6 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Anyone know the history of that clock. Seems to the one constant around that area. Tried reading up on it but can't find much on it

20210208_174245.jpg.78701a7b3a752c314ccb79234ed11d64.jpg

Canonmills Clock, in the centre of the road junction at the bottom of Brandon Terrace, is a notable Art Deco landmark which was gifted to the City of Edinburgh in 1945 by Archibald G. Bryson, Session Clerk of the nearby St. Mary's Parish Church.

Maroon Sailor
Just now, Jambo314 said:

Canonmills Clock, in the centre of the road junction at the bottom of Brandon Terrace, is a notable Art Deco landmark which was gifted to the City of Edinburgh in 1945 by Archibald G. Bryson, Session Clerk of the nearby St. Mary's Parish Church.

Cheers

That's more than what I could find on it !

I wonder what the reason behind the gift was

Just now, Maroon Sailor said:

Cheers

That's more than what I could find on it !

I wonder what the reason behind the gift was

Didn't realise there was as much history in Canonmills tbh

Canonmills

City of Edinburgh

A district of NW Edinburgh, Canonmills lies between the New Town and the residential suburb of Inverleith. It developed as a village with mills on the Water of Leith which is known locally as the Puddocky Burn. A solitary orange-pantiled mill building from c.1700 remains, on the corner of Eyre Place and Canon Street, which was refurbished as offices in 1987.

Once situated on royal land, this was gifted by King David I to the Augustinian monks of Holyrood Abbey, who worked the mills. The land later became the property of Heriot's Hospital and eventually the estate of James Eyre, a brewer whose name was given to several streets in the vicinity. The bakers of the Canongate were obliged by law to grind their corn here. Canonmills Loch served as the mill dam and, in the winter, was used by Canonmills Curling Club, founded in 1760. The loch shrank as it was no longer required to power the mills and was finally drained between 1847 and 1865. It is now the site of King George V Park.

Robert Louis Stevenson (1850-94) was born in Howard Place, and the composer Frederic Chopin (1810-49) stayed in Warriston Crescent.

11 minutes ago, larbertjambo said:

Mathers. This has been driving me nuts as was in it a few times with ex wife early 80s.  My mum 88, was in it hundreds of times and could even remember an argument with the shop assistant but couldn't remember name of shop. Bread street photo on lost edinburgh. Couldnt make out shop but someone remembered name. 

Love this thread. 

It is the best thread , mind you there’s times I think it’s one place only to find out I was completely wrong 😂😂